IGNORED

If you knew what you know now about LJ

iamalagerdrinker

I always thought he'd be a good choice. didn't think we'd go for him though! Pearson was my first choice. If we'd had a more experienced manager I suppose  it's possible we'd have gone on an exceptional run of form and troubled the top 12 but ultimately I think he's done a good job.

The real test though is next season, this isn't his (and Ashton's) squad yet. I want to see what he can do with his own players. Good job so far though.

Personally I'd never thought a big name was an important thing.  I was surprised but satisfied with the appointment of LJ and ultimately it looks like we'll stay up by a margin, which'd be great.  At the same time, from the impression I get from him through interviews, I'd imagine he'd be the first to point out he's not really achieved much yet.

I want to see what he does during the transfer window and how we do next year.  I believe we'll be comfortable next season but the measure of LJ's success in the role will be whether that is the case.

Before LJ was hired, I wanted Pembo and Wade to see the season out.  Whether we'd have any more points is hard to say, but avoiding relegation was the only requirement, so really, there's no way we could be in a better position.  47 points or 50 points, at this stage, doesn't really matter.

Always said LJ would be our manager...even put money on it last year.

A 'big name' doesn't guarantee results.

It's about finding the right person, at the right time, to fit in with the plans the club have.

If you can get everyone at the club working in the same direction and in agreement, with an understanding, then you may achieve something.

If you get disagreements and managers moving in a different direction to what has been agreed...then you get what we had at the beginning of this season.

I personally like the fact, that the Club have gone for a young forward thinking, progressive, and modern thinking management team.

I really get the impression certain City fans don't realise how well LJ is thought of in football.

I think we all knew one day that he would be our manager (so long as he didn't get a league 1 team relegated). I like LJ as our manager, it feels like a good fit and I've taken to him straight away. His interviews are always interesting and on point and I genuinally feel we can move a step forwards with him, as for Cotterill I was a bit sceptical. At this level he's never really cut it so in my head if he couldn't do it with a team high on confidence from winning the double then we were never going to be a team more than fighting relegation. We'll find out next season if Lee is that step forwards or like cotterill, step to much.

I think he fits well. I think he feels at home and we are quite comfortable with having him here, we can resurrect some old songs etc and it feels good right now. Let s hope it continues next season, I really, really want him to prove some people on here wrong.

A "big" name brings no guarantees of success.  Just look at Benitez at Newcastle - although admittedly they are a complete basket case.  Johnson has got top-six form from a relatively limited group of players at this level and I struggle to imagine a supposedly bigger name could have done any better.  It's been a superb turnaround.

The one thing I would say is that Johnson's remit in my mind at least is two-fold:-

1. Survive this year.

2. Establish the team in the Championship and build a squad capable of competing in the top half of the table.

He's already achieved the first (almost), but in my opinion the true measure of his success here will be whether he manages the second.

I wanted someone with a lot more managerial experience at this level, Pearson or Moyes, because I believe that they should be able to turn us from the eternal also rans into a top Championship side that is knocking on the door each season.

However, what has impressed me, is Johnson's willingness to freshen up the pack by leaving out players who most fans would regard as 100% fixtures. Freeman is the obvious one, but last Saturday he left out Odemwingie who had scored twice at home recently. 

A manager can only be judged on results. So far so good. The next test, with Mark Ashton, is to recruit wisely in the summer.

LJ has done well enough so far and guided us to safety.

Mr Charisma was gushing about him at the Senior Reds recently saying how marvellous Lee is and is gaining a reputation within the game as a decent manager. We are lucky to have him apparently.

But....ultimately LJs future at City will depend on his relationship with Lansdown Sr and that will depend on LJ introducing academy graduates and signing promising players from the lower leagues - along with not opting for expensive signings a Cotterill did. 

He certainly conducts his interviews in a very open and honest fashion unlike numerous previous managers who rarely said anything interesting.

I was hugely underwhelmed when he was appointed so I have been very pleasantly surprised with how he has done.

Thought he showed great tactical nous to make the changes he made on Saturday and his interviews are honest and open. If we lose he has no problem being critical of us and wont make excuses, if we win he is not arrogant.

I was always bothered with Cotterill that the rest of the football world seemed to hate him...I don't think it reflected well on us as a club. We wont have that issue with LJ - his response to Colin's personal attack showed what a classy bloke he is.

There's a lot of mention of him bringing in his own players but half the appeal for him must have been that we have the spine of a strong squad already. His challenge is also to keep the talent such as Flint, Bryan, Kodjia and Smith. Even Pack and Freeman.

Holding onto and replacing loanees will be where his (Ashton's) recruitment skills are tested.

I thought LJ was a horrendous choice for a team in our position. I still think it took significant balls to gamble on such an inexperienced manager, especially one who wasn't liked by all as a player.

LJ's appointment was wholly expected. Or at least the type of appointment. I seem to recall I read somewhere, that our leadership team went to Swansea to see how they managed to achieve success. From that Bristol City created a blue print.

One of the key elements was to bring in a young and hungry manager. He would need to adopt the clubs philosophy of bringing in a developing young talent. Build the academy and push the club forward. A manager they could mould.

In LJ the club have got their man. I firmly believe we are going in the right direction. 

Give him 2 or 3 transfer windows. Mark Ashton is another major factor in LJ's success. Within that framework the pair have to deliver.  It's been a great start. 

A new season looming they have to be relishing the task in hand. We have all the right ingredients to become a new star in English football. 

Exciting times ahead. 

Stevo

TBH, the situation resolves itself when Arsenal come back in for Lee in the summer.

Fair enough, they will have to pay us compensation, but this can give the new manager a bit more cash to pay for the new 'upper tier closed' signs for the new West Stand.

OR.

We could do what Leeds and Rotherham did earlier in the season, and just swap managers with the Gunners.

I, for one, think this is our best chance of keeping Kodjia, as he would be able to understand the team talks.

Don't say I did not tell you.

Uncle TFR

17 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I thought LJ was a horrendous choice for a team in our position. I still think it took significant balls to gamble on such an inexperienced manager, especially one who wasn't liked by all as a player.

Exactly!

I have read some toss on here about the bloke and the usual SL cheap effing option shit (some people clearly have not noticed the colossal stand being built in front of them and so much more)...It was a gutsy decision as failure would have seen us relegated....It came off....Will it achieve future success, who knows, but we hope so! 

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

I would have preferred, Bob Huge,Laurence Massive,Graham Behemoth or Gordon Monumental,

Behemoth is one of my favourite words, it's up there with 'tabernacle'

But Gordon Monumental has just made I :laugh:, well done

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Nope. From the moment he was muted and I spied him next to SL at Charlton I knew he was the chosen one.

Even if some thought he was a yes man. Or a puppet. Or a muppet.

;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't want our manager to be 'muted', I want to hear what he has to say :ph34r:

And can you never, ever, put pics on Pulis and H*lloway on here again, little bit of sick just came up. I don't mind Colin

Looks like Pulis has just dropped one, Colin can smell it and the little rat faced ***** is saying he didn't hear a thing.....

22 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Wasn't liked by all is not quite correct is it. I and many friends thought LJ to be a very good player indeed. I appreciate he was not everyone's cup of tea but that's opinions for you.

Archived