IGNORED

Did you rate Joe Burnell?

reddogkev

Still undecided on whether he was a decent midfield player, with all action displays, or whether he was barely able to pass the ball more than 10 yards.

Thoughts?

And what about Matt Hewlett's running style, was it just me, or did he always have his chest stuck out?

I remember him being handed the captains arm band during a game and I stood up and shouted 'you're not fit to be our captain' (I didn't rate him) and the guy in front of me wanted to start a fight about that comment with me. Or rather, he threatened me (16 year old boy) with his big mate sat next to him. Very macho. He certainly divided opinion!

10 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Talking of Matt "fluffy slippers" Hewlett, I still can't believe he was selected for England U21's for a friendly against Italy. 

I suppose the fact that the game was played at AG might have had something to do with it! 

They did used to do that back in the day. It was a way of putting a few more on the crowd.

Full of effort but v little quality.

there are a lot of guys like him who makes careers out of workrate and being dedicated.

I saw him a while back for Bath and again for Shepton Mallett and he was struggling then.

shepton Mallet also have Alex Russell playing and have also had Louis Carey,Steve Phillips & scott murray playing recently

16 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Talking of Matt "fluffy slippers" Hewlett, I still can't believe he was selected for England U21's for a friendly against Italy. 

I suppose the fact that the game was played at AG might have had something to do with it! 

I was certain he was going to have an exceptional international career...

58 minutes ago, CityCity said:

Full of effort but v little quality.

there are a lot of guys like him who makes careers out of workrate and being dedicated.

I saw him a while back for Bath and again for Shepton Mallett and he was struggling then.

shepton Mallet also have Alex Russell playing and have also had Louis Carey,Steve Phillips & scott murray playing recently

Interesting.. I saw him play for Bath against Grimsby and he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, perhaps not surprisingly. 

Always thought he was rubbish, even if I was quite young then. I also never will understand why he made the play off final bench vs Brighton but Lita didn't. 

Not related, but I cannot believe Robin Hulbert played 39 games for us. I thought it would've been about 10/15 tops.

Right,something about Joe Burnell.About eight years ago my daughter was the City mascot.The game was at AG against Southampton. Pretty sure it was a cup game,maybe on telly,and Southampton were a league or 2 above us.Tommy Doc was our regular captain at the time, but I am sure he was serving a suspension for a red card so Joe was standing in.As I remember,The Doc's suspension was for headbutting the opposition captain during the coin toss before the game a few days earlier at AG.Does anybody remember the sending off?Please tell me I didn't imagine it!

23 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Right,something about Joe Burnell.About eight years ago my daughter was the City mascot.The game was at AG against Southampton. Pretty sure it was a cup game,maybe on telly,and Southampton were a league or 2 above us.Tommy Doc was our regular captain at the time, but I am sure he was serving a suspension for a red card so Joe was standing in.As I remember,The Doc's suspension was for headbutting the opposition captain during the coin toss before the game a few days earlier at AG.Does anybody remember the sending off?Please tell me I didn't imagine it!

You imagined it. Tommy Doc left City 11 years ago!

24 minutes ago, Slacker said:

That would be more than 8yrs ago my old mucker  if true! 

I always felt Burnell was a bit underrated at City. Of course he was never going to set the word alight, but was the sort of player most sides need when you're up against it, capable of breaking up play, wrestling back possession and getting rid.

I'm minded of a dire 0-0 home game with Plymouth, maybe Boxing Day? A dreadful match to watch, but JB was probably the difference that day between us winning a point and nowt.

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Still undecided on whether he was a decent midfield player, with all action displays, or whether he was barely able to pass the ball more than 10 yards.

Thoughts?

And what about Matt Hewlett's running style, was it just me, or did he always have his chest stuck out?

Both were honest hardworking lads but were a little bit short of quality .

He was what we needed in that midfield with Scotty bombing up & down on the right. Aaron Brown doing the same on the left. Tommy or Tinns in the middle neither had alot of pace but could pick out a pinpoint pass & Joe sitting in front of the back line protecting when Louis made a Barnes style jaunt up the wing. Not the most gifted but an important part of that team.

Archived