IGNORED

Did you rate Joe Burnell?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

That would be more than 8yrs ago my old mucker  if true! 

Trying to do a bit of research on Google.Would 2003 in the Carling Cup make sense?Pretty sure it was a cup game.Was the Doc still with us then?Seems he was with us til 2005 so maybe it isn't all in my head.

17 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Trying to do a bit of research on Google.Would 2003 in the Carling Cup make sense?Pretty sure it was a cup game.Was the Doc still with us then?Seems he was with us til 2005 so maybe it isn't all in my head.

I remember the Soton game in 2003. Don't remember the previous Doc sending off though.

11 minutes ago, eardun said:

I remember the Soton game in 2003. Don't remember the previous Doc sending off though.

This is doing my head in now.The Southampton game was a Carling Cup match on 28 October 2003.Joe Burnell was captain and Tommy Doherty wasn't in the side for some reason.I have looked but can't find anything about TD being suspended.

6 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I remember him being handed the captains arm band during a game and I stood up and shouted 'you're not fit to be our captain' (I didn't rate him) and the guy in front of me wanted to start a fight about that comment with me. Or rather, he threatened me (16 year old boy) with his big mate sat next to him. Very macho. He certainly divided opinion!

To be fair, if I'd been sat in front of you and heard that comment I'd want to knock you out too.

23 minutes ago, Slacker said:

This is doing my head in now.The Southampton game was a Carling Cup match on 28 October 2003.Joe Burnell was captain and Tommy Doherty wasn't in the side for some reason.I have looked but can't find anything about TD being suspended.

Sent off v Wycombe 21 October 2003

http://www.11v11.com/matches/wycombe-wanderers-v-bristol-city-21-october-2003-17736/

Ref to nutting at Wycombe on this thread (post by crumbs)

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/29381-doherty-losing-the-plot/&page=2

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Still undecided on whether he was a decent midfield player, with all action displays, or whether he was barely able to pass the ball more than 10 yards.

Thoughts?

And what about Matt Hewlett's running style, was it just me, or did he always have his chest stuck out?

I think hes the only player with a career 100% pass completion. After all, sideways and backwards every time wasnt hard! :grr: 

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

You sure he wasn't off sick/injured? He wasn't called 'sicknote' for nothing... :ph34r:

Edit: Just noticed he was suspended for headbutt at Wycombe...

17 hours ago, NickJ said:

Top support.

Coming from the man whose only posts are criticism of our board and current manager....I've heard of the pot calling the kettle black, classy Nick. Haven't seen you post much recently, glad you've come out of hiding to attempt a childish dig at me. Flattered!

How's your Lee bashing going at the moment?

Of all the posters on here, you are not one who I'll take advice from on "Top support"

17 hours ago, CityCity said:

Full of effort but v little quality.

there are a lot of guys like him who makes careers out of workrate and being dedicated.

I saw him a while back for Bath and again for Shepton Mallett and he was struggling then.

shepton Mallet also have Alex Russell playing and have also had Louis Carey,Steve Phillips & scott murray playing recently

Shepton manager is well connected.

Got Paulton Rovers into the FA Cup first round a few years ago

I can look back on Burnell more fondly now then I did back when he was playing.

His sideways and backwards passing and consistent unexciting performances often irked me, but with the other players we had then it's obvious why a player of his ilk was needed.

Technically not the best by any stretch, but at least you felt like he was trying every game. In hindsight that's a trait I should have appreciated more at the time.

Surely Joe Burnell was really a defender, and being moved to midfield did him no favours. He was being asked to do a job he wasn't really cut out for. Hence all the sideways passes. I remember someone phoning in said he couldn't open a can of beans. Twentypence thought it a bit strong but didn't really argue.

Good solid pro, maybe not the best but had a pretty decent career in the lower leagues, then non league. Bloody stupid question really, he played for City, was solid and unspectacular, and can't see any reason to dredge this up and give some posters an opportunity to criticise him.

12 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Coming from the man whose only posts are criticism of our board and current manager....I've heard of the pot calling the kettle black, classy Nick. Haven't seen you post much recently, glad you've come out of hiding to attempt a childish dig at me. Flattered!

How's your Lee bashing going at the moment?

Of all the posters on here, you are not one who I'll take advice from on "Top support"

Idiotic post.

My posts aren't criticisms, the majority in recent months have been SUPPORT of the previous manager, something you took exception to.

I have never in 48 years of supporting City directly criticised a player or the team, at a game. You seem to relish in the fact that you have.

Since LJ was appointed manger, I have not "bashed" him, I have questioned if he has the credentials to achieve the owners stated ambition, promotion to the Premiership. But I nevertheless SUPPORT him and unlike - as is by your own admission if we have a player or manager you don't like - your wont have not for example shouted out "you aren't fit to be our manager".

I'm more of a supporter of Bristol City, and all it should stand for, the club, the players, and most importantly the fans, than you can ever dream of being.

Maybe we should meet up before or after a game, you can judge me on personal experience if you like, and me likewise. PM if amenable.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Idiotic post.

My posts aren't criticisms, the majority in recent months have been SUPPORT of the previous manager, something you took exception to.

I have never in 48 years of supporting City directly criticised a player or the team, at a game. You seem to relish in the fact that you have.

Since LJ was appointed manger, I have not "bashed" him, I have questioned if he has the credentials to achieve the owners stated ambition, promotion to the Premiership. But I nevertheless SUPPORT him and unlike - as is by your own admission if we have a player or manager you don't like - your wont have not for example shouted out "you aren't fit to be our manager".

I'm more of a supporter of Bristol City, and all it should stand for, the club, the players, and most importantly the fans, than you can ever dream of being.

Maybe we should meet up before or after a game, you can judge me on personal experience if you like, and me likewise. PM if amenable.

Idiotic post. Arrogant post.

No I have no desire to meet up with you, please stop stalking my every post with petty pointless remarks.

I actually wrote what I did as an admission of regret (aged 15/16) - of course that brings out all the 'I've never done anything wrong SJW' on here and it's no surprise self righteous Nick is one of them.

And I don't even know where to start with supporter of the year statement "I'm more of a supporter of Bristol City, and all it should stand for, the club, the players, and most importantly the fans, than you can ever dream of being" - the fact you need to say it exposes you are nothing and nobody. And for that matter, you have NO IDEA who I am, and what kind of supporter I am, or what I do for the club. 

For someone who is at least 60, wow, you need to grow up mate.

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Idiotic post.

14 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Idiotic post. Arrogant post.

No I have no desire to meet up with you, please stop stalking my every post with petty pointless remarks.

I actually wrote what I did as an admission of regret (aged 15/16) - of course that brings out all the 'I've never done anything wrong SJW' on here and it's no surprise self righteous Nick is one of them.

And I don't even know where to start with supporter of the year statement "I'm more of a supporter of Bristol City, and all it should stand for, the club, the players, and most importantly the fans, than you can ever dream of being" - the fact you need to say it exposes you are nothing and nobody. And for that matter, you have NO IDEA who I am, and what kind of supporter I am, or what I do for the club. 

For someone who is at least 60, wow, you need to grow up mate.

Now, now you two. I've been going longer than you, Alessandro, but not as long as Nick J. I can't remember ever booing one of our own although I do remember getting really hacked off and blurting out something foul-mouthed when losing at Portsmouth back in the early 90s. I don't ever remember abusing any manager either but memory is unreliable. What I do remember is joining in the "sack the board" stuff in the mid 80s. Always quick to blame the board. Only ever do that on here these days though. 

I do believe it is entirely reasonable and understandable if at some point in many years of watching City you have lost your rag and shouted something critical or worse at players or manager. Doing this sort of thing routinely is another thing altogether. Shouting something daft at 15 or 16 is to be expected and no stain on your support of your team. Nick, your "top support" post was a cheap shot and 100% meant to aggravate rather than make a serious point. And it worked! Alessandro, learn to spot a wind up when it is dangled before you.

Now pull yourselves together, the pair of you. You're both great City fans. But not as great as me.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Now, now you two. I've been going longer than you, Alessandro, but not as long as Nick J. I can't remember ever booing one of our own although I do remember getting really hacked off and blurting out something foul-mouthed when losing at Portsmouth back in the early 90s. I don't ever remember abusing any manager either but memory is unreliable. What I do remember is joining in the "sack the board" stuff in the mid 80s. Always quick to blame the board. Only ever do that on here these days though. 

I do believe it is entirely reasonable and understandable if at some point in many years of watching City you have lost your rag and shouted something critical or worse at players or manager. Doing this sort of thing routinely is another thing altogether. Shouting something daft at 15 or 16 is to be expected and no stain on your support of your team. Nick, your "top support" post was a cheap shot and 100% meant to aggravate rather than make a serious point. And it worked! Alessandro, learn to spot a wind up when it is dangled before you.

Now pull yourselves together, the pair of you. You're both great City fans. But not as great as me.

Nice post, and fair enough, I can always count on you Jack to add sensibility in the craziness and craziness in the sensibility, are you Kofi Annan in disguise?!? 

Archived