IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

Tipps69

Not seen anything on here & can't find it now on the Evening Post website but in the early hours of this morning they were running a story that we would be in for this lad during the summer on a freebie from Preston.

He's a right midfielder/ winger who LJ brought to Barnsley on loan & his contract is up in the summer & he's not expected to sign a new contract at Preston, Fulham & one other club (Ipswich I think) are also being linked as well as Barnsley hoping to sign him permanently but it's thought that they are the outsiders due to the financial package available.

He's only 20 so a compensation package would need to be agreed with Preston & it's thought that the link with LJ may give us a good chance of getting him.

Seems to tick the right boxes, age, position & future sell on value.

Name rings a bell, think this lad may have been mentioned on here before, maybe when LJ first came

Odd the EP have pulled the story

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sounds plausible. I can also see us going for Dan Crowley on loan - LJ described him as 'the best 18 year old player I've ever seen' when at Barnsley on loan.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Arsenal recalled him actually, not sure whether that bodes well for us getting him in again though!

Read again, seems Arsenal recalled him due to a decline in the amount of football he was getting due to not impressing enough to keep a first team place.

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

Read again, seems Arsenal recalled him due to a decline in the amount of football he was getting due to not impressing enough to keep a first team place.

Either way, can imagine us bringing him in at some point. Maybe he wasn't physically ready for league one. For LJ to describe him as he did obviously mean he rates him so the point still stands.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

I also saw the link to this article...you didn't imagine it

I gotta be honest, I woke up at stupid o'clock & decided to have a little look on my phone & then went back to sleep & then when I woke properly it was gone & I did wonder if I'd dreamt it.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Either way, can imagine us bringing him in at some point. Maybe he wasn't physically ready for league one. For LJ to describe him as he did obviously mean he rates him so the point still stands.

If he wasn't physically ready for league one, its hard to imagine him being physically ready for the championship.

As per Crowley then it depends on what article you read. Some say he impressed while other's say he failed to make an impact & thus got sent back. Speaking to people in the game at scout & coaching level then the latter is closer to the mark - failed to make an impression!

You can look like a star player at U21 Academy level but put that same player in competitive men's league many turn in to shrivelled snails.

Not looking for a big argument or anything just responding to the points made. We'd have to get him in early if we wanted any sort of strength and conditioning programme to have a real effect before the season, even then given he wouldn't be 'our' player Arsenal may object to us potentially bulking him up a bit to fit with championship football. The only reason I may be against him coming in on loan is that aren't emergency loans stopping next season? Therefore City need to be selective with who we chose to bring in on loan for next season.

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I can't work out if this is a pun? Hodge's avatar makes me smile everytime.....

Yes it was! If that makes me a hypocrite (word of the day on here) as I'm chief hater of puns (I remember last summer's long transfer threads *shudder*) then so be it, couldn't resist it!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes it was! If that makes me a hypocrite (word of the day on here) as I'm chief hater of puns (I remember last summer's long transfer threads *shudder*) then so be it, couldn't resist it!

Brilliant, cap doffed

And lets not be starting a pun thread, especially when the dreaded 'Mark Bunn' has been mentioned on here already.....

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Who does he currently play for ?

Villa?

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Out of favour player at Preston, on loan to Barnsley........says it all. Not the championship experience or League one star we are looking for. Hopefully just another rubbish press story.

Damn straight. I'll definitely boooooooooooooooooooooo him, should he ever sign :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

:clapping: was a good one fair play, some might say it was punderful :whistle:

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Out of favour player at Preston, on loan to Barnsley........says it all. Not the championship experience or League one star we are looking for. Hopefully just another rubbish press story.

Last player we bought from League One was some dogcarp goalkeeper who couldn't even get a game at Wigan. Hope we don't go down the cast off route again!!! 

7 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

We bought the best of League 1 and 2 and got promoted........but that squad of players wasn't good enough for the step up to the championship.

Wasn't that midfielder playing in league one last season?

You know, that bloke Alli the Mk Dons player who know plays for England!

Surprising just how shite league one players are isn't it!

I'd have no issue with us pursuing Brownhill, someone who LJ knows more about than you or I, young & only compensation that needs to be sorted so very unlikely to cost us the earth & very unlikely that he'd be expecting a huge wage especially considering that he'd be coming from Preston who's budget is supposedly smaller than ours.

We are also supposedly in for / keeping an eye on Alex Gilbey at Colchester, who is 21 and highly rated & touted to be a Premiership standard player in the coming years, again, he's also out of contract, so only compensation to be agreed, so unlikely to cost the earth again & Colchester undoubtedly will have a smaller budget than us so wages shouldn't be a problem again.

Then there's Jason Cummings at Hibs, 20/21 years old, coming from The Scottish Championship, so unlikely to be on huge wages & may cost a little bit for a transfer fee.

But these 3 alone will help bolster positions within the squad that we are more than a little thin on & all have the strong possibility of improving & offer us a great chance of giving us a added value for what we paid for them if & when they ever get sold on in the future!!

Also add to that, that this is unlikely to be our only transfer business this summer & it all adds up to be very exciting summer for us which will hopefully see an improvement in the quality of the squad.

9 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

You didn't answer the question.... 'is the sort of signing City should be making'. In my opinion no.

The Gaffer?? You actually play for the club do you..:) 

Few, if any, of us are in a position to know the answer to this. One thing we do know is, last summer we failed, miserably and humiliatingly, to sign any of the players we needed, Kodj excepted. This appeared to be down to a falling out between owner and manager. This problem has now been addressed and we have "alignment" between owner and coach (we hope and assume). I would anticipate a range of new signings, all things being well, from unheard of young prospects, L1's best or better ones, Championship experienced pros and maybe another overseas Johnny foreigner (we can but hope). You're getting your knackers in a twist over the minutiae now, just for the sake of it. If you pour over every detail of the comings and goings (on) at BCFC you'll doubtless find things to get worked up about, but you'll make yourself miserable. 

If you are just being a twonk for the sake of it and not really arsed about some signing or other, then don't mind me. You just carry on!

Archived