IGNORED

Prawn Sandwich Brigade

2 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us.

However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football.

We are not customers like them.

Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back.

Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

I actually think he's being serious. If not, this is bloody good comedy stuff.

1 hour ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

There is no need to pre judge where many rich people get their money from. They steal it from the rest of us.

Oh the irony. Complains about the words chav, pikey etc. and comes out with this corker.

We've got some right comedians on the board today.

Some so called fans need to take a serious look at themselves. That bloke in the hard hat who chucks the ball back from the old Williams has not sung or got behind the team all season. No wonder the atmosphere is so bad in that part of the ground  

If that is the type of supporter we can expect in the new stand next season I'm glad I renewed in the South Stand. 

41 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

For the record and avoidance of all doubt I am one of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" you refer to and in essence I like what Section 82 are trying to achieve and already in previous threads have said if I knew where to start I'd happily donate to their positive initiatives.

I've parted with just over £25k of my own hard earned cash in the last few weeks to secure my seats for the next couple of seasons for what I see as an investment in the club I love and have passionately followed since a 4yr old- who used to stand inside my dads sheepskin coat on the freezing terrace with my head poking out through the buttons so I could attempt to see the game through a sea of legs the team my dad told me I had to follow "because we do son"  

Does this make me any more of a superfan than you? should it considering my tickets cost me 10,000% more than an average season ticket over that period?

Should I sing 10000% louder? Buy 10000% more replica shirts? Perhaps 10000% more pints of Thatchers?

I'm sick to death of this sense of entitlement that appears to be rearing its head from people who think that because they sing and shout expletive laden nonsense they get the right to preach a doctrine of superiority to the rest of us. 

In the spirit of one of those "songs" I'll chant straight back to you "I'll sing when I want".

"People like me" will generate around £5M for the club next season from ticket sales alone and we represent less than 5% of the attendance and I can tell you we all do it because we are fans first and foremost.

In contrast if you take average season ticket price and probable sales this year then season ticket holders contribute around £6-7M from 60% of the attendance.

Modern football needs "People like me" I'm afraid.

I don't make any apologies for spending my money on what I love just as you shouldn't.

Go on moan in the summer when we let a top signing slip away because wages are an issue and "People like me" are pushed away from putting money back in the pockets of SL and the all the club say are "we have to be self sufficient".

And as for the rant about austerity and backlashes, not all of us "Capitalist Pigs" are such....I employ a very large number of people who in turn are equally very well rewarded.

Love your post (like aint enough).

You got any jobs you need filling right now?

I am quite convinced that like most of you I spend a much higher percentage of my total income and make more personal sacrifices in order to be able to follow BCFC than Steve Lansdown does.

Does that make us bigger fans of the club? Yeah I reckon it does. 

Does it make us as important? Sadly not. 

3 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I'm in the Atyeo and try to sing all game, as much as my voice will allow, being in my 50s. I don't join in swearing / racist (e.g. "gyppo") bits. One good thing about the current debate on last night's atmosphere is that it has smoked out the true colours of some so called "supporters". Atyeo supporters have, at various times, been called Chavs, Pikeys, cheap seat seekers and now a---wipes. (I note that the last insult was diplomatically removed by mods). I have real issues with the word chav. It has been used, by the media and some politicians, to dismiss a large group of people as ****less, criminalized and ignorant. Chav is a hate filled word and there is a lot of class prejudice on this forum. Pikey is a racist term.

By the way, some young uns in the Atyeo, sing "you c----" at the end of many songs. It doesn't mean much to them (they often laugh as they are singing it, as if they are on a big wind up). They certainly don't seem full of hate when so doing.

I wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us. However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football. We support football because our parents and grandparents did. We are not customers like them. If they weren't there to pay the inflated prices, then prices would have to be lowered to attract crowds. Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back. Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

Pot, Kettle, black??

16 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Always pal

You looking for young, hungry sorts with the right mental fit for the group, or slightly jaded, older than Wilbs types, who can upset the equilibrium of the group from time to time?

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

You looking for young, hungry sorts with the right mental fit for the group, or slightly jaded, older than Wilbs types, who can upset the equilibrium of the group from time to time?

Jack, if the rag tag, shoddy, unhygienic bunch of misfits..no delinquents that always in the end do a great job for me are anything to go by then you'd fit right in!

;)

11 minutes ago, allyolly said:

I am quite convinced that like most of you I spend a much higher percentage of my total income and make more personal sacrifices in order to be able to follow BCFC than Steve Lansdown does.

Does that make us bigger fans of the club? Yeah I reckon it does. 

Does it make us as important? Sadly not. 

This is Top Banter isn't it...?

Atyeo should be all away fans. Then maybe the nonsense can be stamped out. We all have mouths, atyeo choose to use them more. We all have seats, Dolman and south stand choose to use them more. Aren't we all there for the same reason? To enjoy professional football and support our team? I'm all for the singing and standing and wish you hadn't painted yourselves in a corner and only have 1000. I wish it was 2-3k singing and standing but if no one else wants to sing then sing louder. Do your bit that makes you happy but you're not any more a fan because you sing and stand. 

So how many of those like the OP actually remember what it was like in the good old bad old days immediately after the war. My Dad worked 48 hours plus overtime at the BAC yet there were only two families in our street that went to football, both at City. That was because the two fathers did not spend every non working moment at the pub, instead, preferring to take the boys to City. So I was one of the lucky ones. Does that make me privileged?

We didn't have a choice about sitting or standing because there were so few seats at the Gate and with pay on the day, never available anyway.

We joined in the cheering and booing of refs and opposition but in those days very few football crowds sang any songs. Al Jolson's "Red Red Robin" was played on the public address but hardly anyone sang it. It was usually an FA Cup run that triggered a song that stuck. Rovers 1951 cup run started the singing of Irene. Birmingham City began "Keep right on to the end of the road". West Ham started Blowing Bubbles in the 1920's.

The only chant I can remember was 2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate? C-I-T-Y, City. Thus all this nostalgia for singing, chanting dates from the sixties when Liverpool adopted You'll never walk alone.

Like many we all started singing our own club version of others songs. Spontaneous, organised chanting. I loved it but Mr Dung Spreader, you are forgetting one very big fact about current football supporters. You said you are around 50 years. Still reasonably fit unless you have abused your body? You will find over the next twenty years that your lung capacity reduces along with your muscles. In the 1950's a male factory worker was invariably dead by 70 years. Now there are so many City fans over 70 still turning up with their season ticket. We would love to sing and chant but the lungs won't let us. If we tried standing for two hours, we would probably collapse by half time.

I knew someone like you Mr Dung Spreader who followed City. He had a bloody good job at BAC, used up all his holidays going on day trips to Valley Parade, St Andrews and every City away match. He had an ST for home games. His opinion was that only people like him were true City fans. Those who did not go to every match,home and away were some sort of second class fan. His bigoted opinion was very much like the claptrap you are spouting.

So stop the abuse of your City brehren. We support in whatever way we can and as frequently as we can. We are all as valuable as each other.

Depressing that some need to polish their egos by feeling superior to their fellow fans. A lot of that going on today on various threads.

The world in general would be a better place if people focused on our similarities rather than our differences.

None of us are more or less of a fan whether we are Steve Lansdown, go home and away, can only get/afford to go to a couple a matches, live the other side of the county or the world and can only follow on the Internet, stand up, sit down, sing or sit quietly studying the game in front of us.  We are all bound together by an irrational love for and affiliation and obsession with a perennially underperforming football club and the ways that we choose to follow it are all equally as valid.

2 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

For the record and avoidance of all doubt I am one of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" you refer to and in essence I like what Section 82 are trying to achieve and already in previous threads have said if I knew where to start I'd happily donate to their positive initiatives.

I've parted with just over £25k of my own hard earned cash in the last few weeks to secure my seats for the next couple of seasons for what I see as an investment in the club I love and have passionately followed since a 4yr old- who used to stand inside my dads sheepskin coat on the freezing terrace with my head poking out through the buttons so I could attempt to see the game through a sea of legs the team my dad told me I had to follow "because we do son"  

Does this make me any more of a superfan than you? should it considering my tickets cost me 10,000% more than an average season ticket over that period?

Should I sing 10000% louder? Buy 10000% more replica shirts? Perhaps 10000% more pints of Thatchers?

I'm sick to death of this sense of entitlement that appears to be rearing its head from people who think that because they sing and shout expletive laden nonsense they get the right to preach a doctrine of superiority to the rest of us. 

In the spirit of one of those "songs" I'll chant straight back to you "I'll sing when I want".

"People like me" will generate around £5M for the club next season from ticket sales alone and we represent less than 5% of the attendance and I can tell you we all do it because we are fans first and foremost.

In contrast if you take average season ticket price and probable sales this year then season ticket holders contribute around £6-7M from 60% of the attendance.

I don't make any apologies for spending my money on what I love just as you shouldn't.

Go on moan in the summer when we let a top signing slip away because wages are an issue and "People like me" are pushed away from putting money back in the pockets of SL and the all the club say are "we have to be self sufficient".

And as for the rant about austerity and backlashes, not all of us "Capitalist Pigs" are such....I employ a very large number of people who in turn are equally very well rewarded.

Absolutely spot on.

Regarding the Dolman stand, I think you will find that once a lot of the shall we say old generation relocate to the Williams stand that the atmosphere will improve no end next season. The corner of the Atyeo and Dolman stands should tie in quite nicely and generate a decent atmosphere undoubtedly.

Dolman section 32 and 33 dont eat prawn sandwiches Muppet only if there half price on a garage counter.

I might be slightly controversial saying this, but I think the atmosphere is dictated more by what's happening on the pitch than anything else. Personally I'm not a singer/ chanter as I'm too busy wringing my hands and muttering swearwords to myself for 90 minutes; telling an opposing goalie he's shit-ahhh at taking goal kicks holds no interest for me. My 9 year old son however, joins in with every song he hears (except the *colourful* ones which he can't hear and I pretend that I can't). My point is that the chants are white noise to me, but to my boy their the polar opposite. It's nothing to do with the 'prawn sandwich brigade' which is as hackneyed a cliché as I've ever heard. I notice the OP has disappeared after waving his e-penis in the direction of non-S82 fans, but I'd like to know whether he's ever actually enjoyed a game at AG, or spent the entire time worrying about what everyone else is or isn't doing around him? 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

So how many of those like the OP actually remember what it was like in the good old bad old days immediately after the war. My Dad worked 48 hours plus overtime at the BAC yet there were only two families in our street that went to football, both at City. That was because the two fathers did not spend every non working moment at the pub, instead, preferring to take the boys to City. So I was one of the lucky ones. Does that make me privileged?

We didn't have a choice about sitting or standing because there were so few seats at the Gate and with pay on the day, never available anyway.

We joined in the cheering and booing of refs and opposition but in those days very few football crowds sang any songs. Al Jolson's "Red Red Robin" was played on the public address but hardly anyone sang it. It was usually an FA Cup run that triggered a song that stuck. Rovers 1951 cup run started the singing of Irene. Birmingham City began "Keep right on to the end of the road". West Ham started Blowing Bubbles in the 1920's.

The only chant I can remember was 2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate? C-I-T-Y, City. Thus all this nostalgia for singing, chanting dates from the sixties when Liverpool adopted You'll never walk alone.

Like many we all started singing our own club version of others songs. Spontaneous, organised chanting. I loved it but Mr Dung Spreader, you are forgetting one very big fact about current football supporters. You said you are around 50 years. Still reasonably fit unless you have abused your body? You will find over the next twenty years that your lung capacity reduces along with your muscles. In the 1950's a male factory worker was invariably dead by 70 years. Now there are so many City fans over 70 still turning up with their season ticket. We would love to sing and chant but the lungs won't let us. If we tried standing for two hours, we would probably collapse by half time.

I knew someone like you Mr Dung Spreader who followed City. He had a bloody good job at BAC, used up all his holidays going on day trips to Valley Parade, St Andrews and every City away match. He had an ST for home games. His opinion was that only people like him were true City fans. Those who did not go to every match,home and away were some sort of second class fan. His bigoted opinion was very much like the claptrap you are spouting.

So stop the abuse of your City brehren. We support in whatever way we can and as frequently as we can. We are all as valuable as each other.

From the 70's I remember....."You're gonna get your ****ing heads kicked in"......."City Boys we are here, woah, woah. City Boys we are here, Sh*g your women and we drink your beer"

3 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

got any jobs going?

4 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

... in the club I love and have passionately followed since a 4yr old- who used to stand inside my dads sheepskin coat on the freezing terrace with my head poking out through the buttons so I could attempt to see the game through a sea of legs the team my dad told me I had to follow "because we do son"  ...

Are you Roger Malone's secret love child?

Seriously two threads on who's a better supporter? 
As for the name calling between fans and arguing, my kids argue less and over more important things such as who's using all the broadband.

I thought we all supported the same club albeit not to the same extent but surely that doesn't make anyone less of a supporter? as obviously outside circs dictate.

The sad thing is the idiots calling their own fans c... probably don't come on here and even if they did wouldn't give two hoots what we think of  them.

So to persist with 2 threads insulting like minded individuals (fellow city fans) seems to be a waste of energy and incredibly divisive. 

I almost look forward to the next LJ is c..p thread:facepalm:

4 hours ago, twodogs said:

Seriously two threads on who's a better supporter? 
As for the name calling between fans and arguing, my kids argue less and over more important things such as who's using all the broadband.

I thought we all supported the same club albeit not to the same extent but surely that doesn't make anyone less of a supporter? as obviously outside circs dictate.

The sad thing is the idiots calling their own fans c... probably don't come on here and even if they did wouldn't give two hoots what we think of  them.

So to persist with 2 threads insulting like minded individuals (fellow city fans) seems to be a waste of energy and incredibly divisive. 

I almost look forward to the next LJ is c..p thread:facepalm:

We are all CITY FANS some just choose to want different matchdays, we are not all the same apart from being BCFC FANS;

Some want to be gobby others want to just sit and enjoy the day their way.............so what; 2 stupid threads...move on. 

Archived