IGNORED

Prawn Sandwich Brigade

13 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I'm in the Atyeo and try to sing all game, as much as my voice will allow, being in my 50s. I don't join in swearing / racist (e.g. "gyppo") bits. One good thing about the current debate on last night's atmosphere is that it has smoked out the true colours of some so called "supporters". Atyeo supporters have, at various times, been called Chavs, Pikeys, cheap seat seekers and now a---wipes. (I note that the last insult was diplomatically removed by mods). I have real issues with the word chav. It has been used, by the media and some politicians, to dismiss a large group of people as ****less, criminalized and ignorant. Chav is a hate filled word and there is a lot of class prejudice on this forum. Pikey is a racist term.

By the way, some young uns in the Atyeo, sing "you c----" at the end of many songs. It doesn't mean much to them (they often laugh as they are singing it, as if they are on a big wind up). They certainly don't seem full of hate when so doing.

I wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us. However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football. We support football because our parents and grandparents did. We are not customers like them. If they weren't there to pay the inflated prices, then prices would have to be lowered to attract crowds. Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back. Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

I support my club by buying a season ticket and by going to all home matches.  If I don't want to sing (and I don't) then that's up to me.  I sit in Block D of the Dolman and have done for nearly 30 years.  I am surrounded by people, many of whom I regard as friends, who are passionate about Bristol City, who are extremely knowledgeable about football, but we don't sing.  That is not to say we don't make any noise at all - we cheer, we shout, we boo(o), all the usual things.  Perhaps its an age thing - frankly at my age the majority of football songs are rather embarrassing - occasionally a good one surfaces, but most have been done to death and I think I've got past that.  Do I really want to sing a song identifying us as "the finest football team the world has ever seen"?  I don't think so.  You have whatever experience you want where you sit in the ground, that's fine by me, but don't tell me whether I am a true supporter or not and don't tell me how to behave.  I hesitate to say it, but don't you think that maybe the time is right for you to grow up just a bit?

Incidentally, I'm a vegetarian.

"Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82. "

Mr Lansdown is part of this engineering. The redevelopment and Bristol Sport is being done to fundamentally alter BCFC for ever. The fans of City in the main appear very happy with this massive change.

Can you explain what it is Section 82 are kicking back at and how?

I don't like prawn sandwiches but I'm proud to be the sort of supporter the OP is railing against.

I like football. I enjoy watching it and I like to see my team do well. I don't care for singing and I'm not massively fussed about "atmosphere". Yes, I've been at some incredible games, such as the playoff semi-final in 2004, where the atmosphere was quite incredible, but it came about because the team engineered a remarkable comeback, not because half a dozen cidered-up blokes were singing distasteful songs about the Bristol Rovers manager.

I also like the fact that the changes in football in the past 20 years mean it's a more comfortable place for everybody to attend. Women, children, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities. All are more welcome now than they used to be and that can only be a good thing. They might not generate the atmosphere that the traditional supporter is used to but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be there.

I'm sorry that the experience you grew up with is gone, or going at least, but what is replacing it is better. It's cleaner, safer, friendlier and more inclusive. The attendance figures across the leagues bear this out. People like it this way.

15 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

Why did governments feel compelled to do this, though, C Dung? If we accept that is what they have done.

Why did government step in and interfere with football?

What happened before government stepped in and engineered crowds, as you put it?

Government were not engineering crowds or anything in football in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s or 60s. So what changed and who is responsible for the things that occurred at football that led to governments deciding, we have to act now, we have to do something?

16 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... but you can't remember having seen it in the first place.

That's so true .

Sometimes at Isewater Acres we settle down to watch a film that we've seen before but it's like the first time because we've completely forgotten the plot .

In any case Mrs I. often falls asleep snoring before the end of a film , a bit annoying for the other cinema goers.

8 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

If the op loves singing so much why wasn't he in Boyzone?

It's a fair challenge. No Matter What excuse he has, It's Only Words. 

Was posting this on the Section 82 thread but it got locked as I was saving my post, so I think I'll post it here, as this thread touches on the same issues.

I still think '76 might be a season better suited to commemoration than1982,  a year in which we nearly went out of existence due to mismanagement and financial skulduggery, but whatever... 

I think the lesson of that mammoth thread about what was a fairly minor incident is that certain "singers" should think before they slag off other areas of the home support. It clearly hasn't been taken as "banter" and it threatens to undermine the good work S82 do, which I'm sure the vast majority of fans support. Best stick to songs encouraging our lads or denigrating the opposition in future, boys. No one wants a divided support, we are all part of the Bristol City family.

And that's the other lesson - we each support in our own way. I have a shout and a sing-song, but it has to be said the central Dolman is fairly quiet. The reason for this is obvious to anyone who's sat there - as a 50-something I'm one of the youngest in the area. Half the fans where I sit need oxygen to get to their seats!! No way are they going to be standing and singing throughout a match. But young 'uns who are tempted to write these guys off as "boring c-s" should remember that they were "ultras" before most of you were swimming about in your dad's balls. They've served their time singing and they deserve the right to be respected.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

... it has to be said the central Dolman is fairly quiet. The reason for this is obvious to anyone whose sat there - as a 50-something I'm one of the youngest in the area. Half the fans where I sit need oxygen to get to their seats!! No way are they going to be standing and singing throughout a match.

The main reason why we don't sing is that we struggle to remember the words of the songs. ;)

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I support my club by buying a season ticket and by going to all home matches.  If I don't want to sing (and I don't) then that's up to me.  I sit in Block D of the Dolman and have done for nearly 30 years.  I am surrounded by people, many of whom I regard as friends, who are passionate about Bristol City, who are extremely knowledgeable about football, but we don't sing.  That is not to say we don't make any noise at all - we cheer, we shout, we boo(o), all the usual things.  Perhaps its an age thing - frankly at my age the majority of football songs are rather embarrassing - occasionally a good one surfaces, but most have been done to death and I think I've got past that.  Do I really want to sing a song identifying us as "the finest football team the world has ever seen"?  I don't think so.  You have whatever experience you want where you sit in the ground, that's fine by me, but don't tell me whether I am a true supporter or not and don't tell me how to behave.  I hesitate to say it, but don't you think that maybe the time is right for you to grow up just a bit?

Incidentally, I'm a vegetarian.

The kale thread is on the other page, mate.

When you are in the mood, little exceeds a nice prawn sandwich.

Either granary, or a nice 'in between' artisan bread.

"With everything", as James Bond would say.

Glass of Semillon Chardonnay with that, sir??

:yes:

Uncle TFR

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 18:23, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I'm in the Atyeo and try to sing all game, as much as my voice will allow, being in my 50s. I don't join in swearing / racist (e.g. "gyppo") bits. One good thing about the current debate on last night's atmosphere is that it has smoked out the true colours of some so called "supporters". Atyeo supporters have, at various times, been called Chavs, Pikeys, cheap seat seekers and now a---wipes. (I note that the last insult was diplomatically removed by mods). I have real issues with the word chav. It has been used, by the media and some politicians, to dismiss a large group of people as ****less, criminalized and ignorant. Chav is a hate filled word and there is a lot of class prejudice on this forum. Pikey is a racist term.

By the way, some young uns in the Atyeo, sing "you c----" at the end of many songs. It doesn't mean much to them (they often laugh as they are singing it, as if they are on a big wind up). They certainly don't seem full of hate when so doing.

I wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us. However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football. We support football because our parents and grandparents did. We are not customers like them. If they weren't there to pay the inflated prices, then prices would have to be lowered to attract crowds. Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back. Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

After this thread...Ashton Gate is now going to feel like the Gladiatorial Amphitheatre of Rome...with it's Plebeians and Patricians sitting in different parts of the ground.

I can see Championus Dunginius Spreadorius and the Cohorts of Tribune 82 starting a Revolution, and over time, these plebeians will be trying to amass wealth and greater power. It's a bit like the struggle known as the "Conflict of the Orders." Where over the course of around 200 years the plebeians gained more rights.

I can see it now... Legion LXXXII marching as one with Broom handles raised high...and a few sneaking off at the back, stealing the two handled Eagle standards...stone and crucify them all I say ;-)

The Senate of Dolmanium need to keep a close eye on these rascals...no longer will I throw the crumbs of my panini di gamberetti in their direction.

Long live the Empire...down with the Republic revolution ;-)

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

After this thread...Ashton Gate is now going to feel like the Gladiatorial Amphitheatre of Rome...with it's Plebeians and Patricians sitting in different parts of the ground.

I can see Championus Dunginius Spreadorius and the Cohorts of Tribune 82 starting a Revolution, and over time, these plebeians will be trying to amass wealth and greater power. It's a bit like the struggle known as the "Conflict of the Orders." Where over the course of around 200 years the plebeians gained more rights.

I can see it now... Legion LXXXII marching as one with Broom handles raised high...and a few sneaking off at the back, stealing the two handled Eagle standards...stone and crucify them all I say ;-)

The Senate of Dolmanium need to keep a close eye on these rascals...no longer will I throw the crumbs of my panini di gamberetti in their direction.

I can see Flint going to the centre circle for the  Maximus Decimus Meridius role.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

"Is that the Empire's battle cry I hear"?

"No, it's just a round of polite applause as Bristol City look set to achieve mathematical safety".

19 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

When you are in the mood, little exceeds a nice prawn sandwich.

Either granary, or a nice 'in between' artisan bread.

"With everything", as James Bond would say.

Glass of Semillon Chardonnay with that, sir??

:yes:

Uncle TFR

Unc,

Get yourself over to Frome next Sunday. The monthly Independent Market. That's the place to be if you want artisan bread.

Or Pulled Pork. Or a galvanised hipster bucket. Or beard.

Fousands of 'em ;)

As for singing or signing in the Atyeo? Couldn't care less. 

On 4/20/2016 at 19:08, Robbored said:

Ffs.......:facepalm:

For  as long as I've been attending AG there has always been an "us and them" element to our fan base. Back in the 70s as a diehard Eastender I and my mates always felt "superior" to other (older) City fans. We were young, mostly lads and always up for any kind of "aggro and bovver" I'm sure it's the same at virtually all football clubs.

Judging from this thread it's exactly the same now as it as 40 odd years ago.

One benefit of getting older is that you can see history repeating itself....

I think you make such a good point re: "us and them".

I'm actually of the opinion that groups of supporters calling themselves things like 'Section 82' only serves to contribute to that divide, rather than achieving their alleged purpose of uniting. I use the word alleged because I'm not convinced those who swear at other Bristol City supporters have any interest in uniting.

Either way, can't we all just be Bristol City fans, some of whom stand and sing and attempt to generate a positive atmosphere (which I think is a really good thing, by the way) and some of whom sit and watch football exactly as they want and are entitled to?

That'd work for me.

17 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I think you make such a good point re: "us and them".

I'm actually of the opinion that groups of supporters calling themselves things like 'Section 82' only serves to contribute to that divide, rather than achieving their alleged purpose of uniting. I use the word alleged because I'm not convinced those who swear at other Bristol City supporters have any interest in uniting.

Either way, can't we all just be Bristol City fans, some of whom stand and sing and attempt to generate a positive atmosphere (which I think is a really good thing, by the way) and some of whom sit and watch football exactly as they want and are entitled to?

That'd work for me.

Pfft, too much 'adopt-a-tree-turn-vegan-singing-kumbaya' thinking for me. Much prefer @spudski's premonition. 

The prawn sandwich brigade don't sing.

The cheap pie brigade sing but don't dance.

The can't afford food brigade not only sing but choreograph full dance routines while doing a human pyramid on stolen motorbikes while riding around the length of the pitch.

If you're not dancing on a motorbike, you are not a real fan. 

Archived