IGNORED

Prawn Sandwich Brigade

I'm in the Atyeo and try to sing all game, as much as my voice will allow, being in my 50s. I don't join in swearing / racist (e.g. "gyppo") bits. One good thing about the current debate on last night's atmosphere is that it has smoked out the true colours of some so called "supporters". Atyeo supporters have, at various times, been called Chavs, Pikeys, cheap seat seekers and now a---wipes. (I note that the last insult was diplomatically removed by mods). I have real issues with the word chav. It has been used, by the media and some politicians, to dismiss a large group of people as ****less, criminalized and ignorant. Chav is a hate filled word and there is a lot of class prejudice on this forum. Pikey is a racist term.

By the way, some young uns in the Atyeo, sing "you c----" at the end of many songs. It doesn't mean much to them (they often laugh as they are singing it, as if they are on a big wind up). They certainly don't seem full of hate when so doing.

I wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us. However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football. We support football because our parents and grandparents did. We are not customers like them. If they weren't there to pay the inflated prices, then prices would have to be lowered to attract crowds. Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back. Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

32 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I'm in the Atyeo and try to sing all game, as much as my voice will allow, being in my 50s. I don't join in swearing / racist (e.g. "gyppo") bits. One good thing about the current debate on last night's atmosphere is that it has smoked out the true colours of some so called "supporters". Atyeo supporters have, at various times, been called Chavs, Pikeys, cheap seat seekers and now a---wipes. (I note that the last insult was diplomatically removed by mods). I have real issues with the word chav. It has been used, by the media and some politicians, to dismiss a large group of people as ****less, criminalized and ignorant. Chav is a hate filled word and there is a lot of class prejudice on this forum. Pikey is a racist term.

By the way, some young uns in the Atyeo, sing "you c----" at the end of many songs. It doesn't mean much to them (they often laugh as they are singing it, as if they are on a big wind up). They certainly don't seem full of hate when so doing.

I wouldn't lower myself to generalise about Dolmanites as some of them do about us. However, I'm sick of the prawn sandwich brigade "supporters". They don't sing and I seriously wish they were not at football matches. There is no place for them at football. We support football because our parents and grandparents did. We are not customers like them. If they weren't there to pay the inflated prices, then prices would have to be lowered to attract crowds. Consequently the huge mass of pay on the day supporters would return and we would get our atmosphere back. Also, some of the Dolmanites who currently feel reluctant to sing would join in due to peer group pressure.

Successive governments have successfully socially engineered football crowds and we are currently fighting a difficult battle. Things may change - unpredictable things happen in times of austerity - big backlashes can happen. Well done S82.

Great comments. Couldn't agree more!

33 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

**** me. I've got a colleague at work like you who has to refer to herself as "Shelley from the council estate" because of her insecurities. I don't not like her because of her council background, I dislike her because she's unpleasant and likes to have a little violin playing in the background whenever she feels threatened. That's exactly how your post reads. 

35 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I think your name suits the post. Shit spread fairly evenly throughout. Well done!

I have always thought of the prawn sandwich brigade as a term used for corporate hospitality rather than for supporters who come to watch rather than participate.

The notion that you're only a true supporter if you sing is patent nonsense.  Even in the days of yore only the East End sang at  AG.  My grandfather and father followed City all their lives and I can never remember them singing once.

By the way the increase in CH faciltes will increase the clubs revenue considerably and I assume help finance new signings.

Ffs.......:facepalm:

For  as long as I've been attending AG there has always been an "us and them" element to our fan base. Back in the 70s as a diehard Eastender I and my mates always felt "superior" to other (older) City fans. We were young, mostly lads and always up for any kind of "aggro and bovver" I'm sure it's the same at virtually all football clubs.

Judging from this thread it's exactly the same now as it as 40 odd years ago.

One benefit of getting older is that you can see history repeating itself....

43 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Don't worry, you'll be able to abuse those in the Williams for not singing and standing next year as you've been unable to this season :whistle:

44 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

FFS give it a rest. Whether we pay £5 0r £500 to watch the match we are all contributing to the clubs coffers, Just as whether we sing or not. No-one wants racist abuse and constant swearing but we are all entitled to sit and applaud or stand and sing of our own will. We are all there because we support BCFC so all this infighting  between stands is pointless. There are opposition fans at games to insult if that is your wish. Leave those who only want to watch the football to do just that. Nobody would want to hear me sing anyway unless they were tone deaf. (No offence Big Tone)

2 minutes ago, Palmers Green Red said:

I'm allergic to fish, sit in the family stand with my 10 year old and occasionally sing, but mainly shout out words of encouragement and clap ... does that make me a egg and cress sandwich brigade due to my allergy? I need to be told!!!!

I'm with you....I go to watch the game.  I might sing the odd line, but mainly shouting encouragement to the players, or berating the ref.

I also am happy to applaud good play from the opposition.....Derby had me doing that a few times last night.

I guess with a true sandwich filling to cling to, perhaps I'm a 'Marmite' sarnie, like by some, disliked by other.

Egg and Cress....you should be ashamed of yourself :P

Better not admit I buy a WellRed!

Why have ago at the Dolman supporters ( or South & Williams for that matter) ? I sit in the Dolman and its passionate . We give stick to refs,linos,opposition players & fans . A lot of us are more reasoned and selective with our abuse and criticism , we don't all sing from the same song sheet , but were as passionate about football and our team as any club . 

Do the guys in the Atyeo not think that most of the guys in other parts of the ground have been in the singing sections ( Eastend, B Block) before and probably for a lot of us at a time when things were a lot livlier and tasty than they are now . 

The thing is people move on with their lives . They change as people . I don't think any apologies are necessary from the Dolman . We've done that bit . The Atyeo could always try a bit harder . Don't here a thing from A Block .

I'm sure the vocal support and the passion was greater 'back in the day'. 

6 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

So you wish that non singing suporters did not attend football. That would make the attendance at AG about 1000. If you want to sing for 90 mins with others try joining a choir and leave the footie to us grumpy old hits.

Is it really a 1000 it don't sound like a 1000 singing at times its very quiet in there.

1 hour ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Fishing? I'll bite. 

Absolute nonsense. I love a prawn sandwich. On brown please. M&S ones if there's a choice.

Bloody poor show this was the shit they served up at Brentford.

Many years ago I stood on the East End, My father before that took me to the Williams where I sat on a box balanced on a crash barrier. I also had a season ticket right behind the goal in the Atyeo with my mates Matt and Dave.

By the way I don't believe much of the bollocks you've posted - socially engineered? What does that mean?

image.jpeg

Just a thought on the OPs observations…which raise some important points about football losing touch with the POTD fan base that many of us were part of when we were younger and poorer. At the moment there are what, 13k? fans buying STs, probably more. Let's say that 10k of those are adult tickets. At the lower end of the scale they are spending £400 each…which is around £4m being invested in Bristol City! By folk like us!

There's no way that City die-hard ST holders are on the breadline…whatever may be sandwiched in the bread...

It's nonetheless a worry that less well off fans are priced out of football altogether, and it will be interesting to see what the POTD prices are.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Ffs.......:facepalm:

For  as long as I've been attending AG there has always been an "us and them" element to our fan base. Back in the 70s as a diehard Eastender I and my mates always felt "superior" to other (older) City fans. We were young, mostly lads and always up for any kind of "aggro and bovver" I'm sure it's the same at virtually all football clubs.

Judging from this thread it's exactly the same now as it as 40 odd years ago.

One benefit of getting older is that you can see history repeating itself....

And you can see Robbored, repeating himself :)

2 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

For the record and avoidance of all doubt I am one of the "Prawn Sandwich Brigade" you refer to and in essence I like what Section 82 are trying to achieve and already in previous threads have said if I knew where to start I'd happily donate to their positive initiatives.

I've parted with just over £25k of my own hard earned cash in the last few weeks to secure my seats for the next couple of seasons for what I see as an investment in the club I love and have passionately followed since a 4yr old- who used to stand inside my dads sheepskin coat on the freezing terrace with my head poking out through the buttons so I could attempt to see the game through a sea of legs the team my dad told me I had to follow "because we do son"  

Does this make me any more of a superfan than you? should it considering my tickets cost me 10,000% more than an average season ticket over that period?

Should I sing 10000% louder? Buy 10000% more replica shirts? Perhaps 10000% more pints of Thatchers?

I'm sick to death of this sense of entitlement that appears to be rearing its head from people who think that because they sing and shout expletive laden nonsense they get the right to preach a doctrine of superiority to the rest of us. 

In the spirit of one of those "songs" I'll chant straight back to you "I'll sing when I want".

"People like me" will generate around £5M for the club next season from ticket sales alone and we represent less than 5% of the attendance and I can tell you we all do it because we are fans first and foremost.

In contrast if you take average season ticket price and probable sales this year then season ticket holders contribute around £6-7M from 60% of the attendance.

Modern football needs "People like me" I'm afraid.

I don't make any apologies for spending my money on what I love just as you shouldn't.

Go on moan in the summer when we let a top signing slip away because wages are an issue and "People like me" are pushed away from putting money back in the pockets of SL and the all the club say are "we have to be self sufficient".

And as for the rant about austerity and backlashes, not all of us "Capitalist Pigs" are such....I employ a very large number of people who in turn are equally very well rewarded.

1 hour ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

There is no need to pre judge where many rich people get their money from. They steal it from the rest of us.

I hope this is a wind-up, otherwise you must be walking with a 45 degree lean, due to the weight of the enormous chip on your shoulder.  (By the way, next time you go to the redeveloped Ashton Gate, tell Steve Lansdown he's a crook) 

Archived