IGNORED

Jason Cummings - Hibs

INCRED

Apparently LJ has watched him this season and we may have more than a passing interest in him this summer. We have not got a great recent track record regards Scottish players but having watched him a few times on TV he looks a decent player who has scored 24 this season and has a bit about him.

44 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Apparently LJ has watched him this season and we may have more than a passing interest in him this summer. We have not got a great recent track record regards Scottish players but having watched him a few times on TV he looks a decent player who has scored 24 this season and has a bit about him.

LJ watched Hibs but he wasn't watching Cummings...

39 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

Ooooooh you little tease!

Stockhausen said it was Cummings, pretty sure others on here at the time said it was actually the midfielder McGinn who has just won his first Scotland cap.

52 minutes ago, Super said:

24 goals in a league the standard Rovers play in.

Not sure what you mean by this comment.  Assuming it's negative.  We already know we cannot compete trying to buy the finished article.  We have to keep looking for up and coming (Cummings?) prospects and develop them.  24 goals is no mean feat in any division.

Im really not convinced cummings would make much of an impact at champinship level. If burns and agard are contracted to us i cant see him being ahead of those 2 in terms of a threat in the championship.  If it was 24 spl goals it might be worth thinking about 

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Derby fans reckon Bryson was the best player on the park. They got him from Kilmarnock 

Think He was number 11 - yes best player on the pitch. Waltzed through our defence, more than once- that's baker and flint. Not seen many do that. 

People on here write off Scottish league players, prob due to mcinnes era, but I remember the dicks era and quality players like Ritchie, Sweeney and Gow. From st mirren and Morton - teams that were doing ok but not great in the league at that time. Those players helped put us up a level. 

2 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Think He was number 11 - yes best player on the pitch. Waltzed through our defence, more than once- that's baker and flint. Not seen many do that. 

People on here write off Scottish league players, prob due to mcinnes era, but I remember the dicks era and quality players like Ritchie, Sweeney and Gow. From st mirren and Morton - teams that were doing ok but not great in the league at that time. Those players helped put us up a level. 

That was an era when there was World class players in Scotland , Dalglish , Souness , Gemmill ... 

The standard of Scottish football has dropped .

3 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I think Bryson was wearing number four and he scored one of the goals.

7 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Chris Martin too..

Chris Martin is from Suffolk and came through the Norwich youth system. I'm not sure he'd ever been to Scotland before he became a Scottish international

I do agree though that just because we've signed crap players from Scotland before, doesn't mean that we should completely ignore all players from Scotland

If the standard is as good as league two, should we be looking to take Matt Taylor from Rovers? I am playing devils advocate a little bit, but we are always moaning about missing out on local players who go on to be a success elsewhere, how would we feel if he went to another club and continued to score goals. I should say I know nothing about him other than he has scored goals, I have never watched him play and have no idea whether he is a more all round player.

I'm not hugely sold on Scottish football. Even some of the greats (Driver, Fleck) that made their names in Scotland struggled in the Championship. The former is in Holland now playing for a newly promoted team, and the latter is a decent League 1 player.

In terms of Scottish players themselves, I wouldn't mind us putting a cheeky bid in for Steven Fletcher. I think he's out of contract in the summer and is currently playing for Marseille on loan. He's a decent forward, but has struggled in the Premier League, so I reckon him and Kodjia would tear the Championship up.

12 hours ago, Super said:

24 goals in a league the standard Rovers play in.

What standard would you call French L2? Jimmy hasn't turned out too badly, has he?

I've never seen the lad play, but think I saw a vid of a dinked pen in the semi final on Saturday - that was him, wasn't it? Not the best first impression!!

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

On a serious note, I can only name one Scottish player - Kenny Miller who plays for Rangers. I really struggle to name another one.

I think that says more about your general lack of football knowledge than anything. What about James Tavernier, he was playing for us last season.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

On a serious note, I can only name one Scottish player - Kenny Miller who plays for Rangers. I really struggle to name another one.

Well in that case if you can't name them we should certainly just write the entire league off, they must all be rubbish. 

How well up on Ligue 2 were you before Kodjia arrived? You don't have to look very hard to see that there's plenty of examples of those who have come from Scotland into English football and kicked on - you saw some of them Tuesday night!

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If the standard is as good as league two, should we be looking to take Matt Taylor from Rovers? I am playing devils advocate a little bit, but we are always moaning about missing out on local players who go on to be a success elsewhere, how would we feel if he went to another club and continued to score goals. I should say I know nothing about him other than he has scored goals, I have never watched him play and have no idea whether he is a more all round player.

Don't think so, he's 26 and up to this season, bar 7 games for Oxford 7 or 8 years ago, he's spent his career in non league.

When I hear Rovers' fans on phone ins they often say he didn't play well, missed some sitters but scored in the end.

Didn't he go on a 10/11 game non scoring run this season as well and get dropped?

I doubt he'll score heavily above L2 let alone in the Championship, and if you think about it Agard, who could be on his way out of AG, must be a far better bet to notch in the Championship than Taylor.

Archived