IGNORED

Jason Cummings - Hibs

INCRED

6 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Think He was number 11 - yes best player on the pitch. Waltzed through our defence, more than once- that's baker and flint. Not seen many do that. 

People on here write off Scottish league players, prob due to mcinnes era, but I remember the dicks era and quality players like Ritchie, Sweeney and Gow. From st mirren and Morton - teams that were doing ok but not great in the league at that time. Those players helped put us up a level. 

Sweeney and Donnie Gillies came from Morton.

Gow and Ritchie were taken on after being spotted by our scouts, neither were playing for a professional club.

In fact Tom Ritchie wasn't spotted at all - he only signed after accompanying his brother Steve to Bristol for a trial, joining in a kickabout and impressing more than Steve did.

The only St. Mirren signing was much later, Tony Fitzpatrick, signed for 240k - a huge fee - in '79, and a big disappointment.

He returned to St. Mirren for a much reduced fee less than 2 years later having scored 1 goal in 75 games.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't think so, he's 26 and up to this season, bar 7 games for Oxford 7 or 8 years ago, he's spent his career in non league.

When I hear Rovers' fans on phone ins they often say he didn't play well, missed some sitters but scored in the end.

Didn't he go on a 10/11 game non scoring run this season as well and get dropped?

I doubt he'll score heavily above L2 let alone in the Championship, and if you think about it Agard, who could be on his way out of AG, must be a far better bet to notch in the Championship than Taylor.

Cheers Noggers, like I said I don't really know anything about him other than what feels like a frequent use of his name in the goals scored column. But based on what you have put there and looking at the age comparison alone, Cummings would seem the better option in terms of a player we could work with to improve.

I didn't like the idea of signing a "gurt gashead" anyway :) 

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sweeney and Donnie Gillies came from Morton.

Gow and Ritchie were taken on after being spotted by our scouts, neither were playing for a professional club.

In fact Tom Ritchie wasn't spotted at all - he only signed after accompanying his brother Steve to Bristol for a trial, joining in a kickabout and impressing more than Steve did.

The only St. Mirren signing was much later, Tony Fitzpatrick, signed for 240k - a huge fee - in '79, and a big disappointment.

He returned to St. Mirren for a much reduced fee less than 2 years later having scored 1 goal in 75 games.

It was easy to see why Steve would have stood out as a kid, he was a "big unit" at left back, all power as I remember I am sure he would be one of those kids that we all remember from school who could run through people.

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think Bryson was wearing number four and he scored one of the goals.

You are correct.

The lad was a handful and - with a similar size and build to Bobby Reid - he gives an answer to those who say Bob needs to "beef up" to make it in this division. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It was easy to see why Steve would have stood out as a kid, he was a "big unit" at left back, all power as I remember I am sure he would be one of those kids that we all remember from school who could run through people.

Sounds like he ate all the porridge when they were growing up then and only left the pan scrapings for poor old Tom.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like he ate all the porridge when they were growing up then and only left the pan scrapings for poor old Tom.

Yes you wouldn't have taken them as brothers on the pitch, they looked like they might have had different fathers!!

Watched Hibs this season and McGinn looked very good. Lively and good on the ball.

Cummings looked all huff and puff, but has looked better on other occasions.

Goalie (Oxley) seemed pretty good.

Also had a big lad in the middle who can play, Henderson.

Scottish football is all a bit ****** up at the mo, especially with Hibs and Rangers playing the Championship. Would say that Hibs have some good players who could play at our level.

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that says more about your general lack of football knowledge than anything. What about James Tavernier, he was playing for us last season.

What my lack of Scottish football knowledge says is because I have absolutely zero interest in it.

Someone told me today that LJ played for Kilmarnock - I really didn't know that.  :dunno:

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

On a serious note, I can only name one Scottish player - Kenny Miller who plays for Rangers. I really struggle to name another one.

So are you honestly saying you've never heard of Darren Fletcher, a first choice in Man U's midfield for years when they won everything and who played at AG this season for West Brom?

Sometimes you amaze me, I never knew someone who had watched so much football could know so little..

I don't have a deep knowledge of Scottish football because, as I posted earlier, I have zero interest in it. It really is that simple.

I didn't know Darren Fletcher is Scottish. I've never seen him interviewed.....that's usually a clue. To be honest I don't really care where he's from or any other player for that matter.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't have a deep knowledge of Scottish football because, as I posted earlier, I have zero interest in it. It really is that simple.

I didn't know Darren Fletcher is Scottish. I've never seen him interviewed.....that's usually a clue. To be honest I don't really care where he's from or any other player for that matter.

You don't have to possess a 'deep knowledge' of Scottish football to be able to name more than one player playing there. Two players who've played for us relatively recently (Fontaine and Tavernier) are playing there, I'd have thought most City fans may have known that.

As for the "I don't really care where he's from or any other player for that matter" comment - that's just a strange attitude to have. 

There's not much point discussing it with you as you're very dogmatic but there we go.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You don't have to possess a 'deep knowledge' of Scottish football to be able to name more than one player playing there. Two players who've played for us relatively recently (Fontaine and Tavernier) are playing there, I'd have thought most City fans may have known that.

As for the "I don't really care where he's from or any other player for that matter" comment - that's just a strange attitude to have. 

There's not much point discussing it with you as you're very dogmatic but there we go.

My "attitude" might be strange to you but I've posted before that once a players moves on from City that I don't follow their career like some do. It's not important to me. They've gone and that's it. Zero interest. 

Same principle applies to Scottish football - zero interest. At least I now know that Darren Fletcher is Scottish...

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So are you honestly saying you've never heard of Darren Fletcher, a first choice in Man U's midfield for years when they won everything and who played at AG this season for West Brom?

Sometimes you amaze me, I never knew someone who had watched so much football could know so little..

It would have amazed me, but I'd already worked that out from his other posts ;)

9 hours ago, Scrumpy said:

Watched Hibs this season and McGinn looked very good. Lively and good on the ball.

Cummings looked all huff and puff, but has looked better on other occasions.

Goalie (Oxley) seemed pretty good.

Also had a big lad in the middle who can play, Henderson.

Scottish football is all a bit ****** up at the mo, especially with Hibs and Rangers playing the Championship. Would say that Hibs have some good players who could play at our level.

Henderson is a very decent prospect but he is on loan from Celtic, depending on the new manager he could be part of the Celtic team next season.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My "attitude" might be strange to you but I've posted before that once a players moves on from City that I don't follow their career like some do. It's not important to me. They've gone and that's it. Zero interest. 

Same principle applies to Scottish football - zero interest. At least I now know that Darren Fletcher is Scottish...

So you have no interest in...lets say...Cole Skuse then? Very average player by the way!

Cole Skuse was good mates with my son but since Skuse moved on they've lost regular contact. Plus being a local lad and a good player I do glance occaisionally at how he's doing at Ipswich.The Tractor Boys think Skuse was a great signing despite being a tad injury prone.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cole Skuse was good mates with my son but since Skuse moved on they've lost regular contact. Plus being a local lad and a good player I do glance occaisionally at how he's doing at Ipswich.The Tractor Boys think Skuse was a great signing despite being a tad injury prone.

What I find strange is for someone who spends so much of your time on here, commenting on more or less every thread, so I assume reading the threads, that you haven't picked up the slightest bit of knowledge over the many years as I'm sure there will of been many threads discussing many teams & players from all over but none of it has stuck apart from players that play for Bristol City NOW?!?

Even the threads where you have seemingly fallen asleep, give the impression that you must of read the thread to be able to post that you are asleep but none of it has ever stuck.........

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tipp, I tend to retain information that is interesting to me. Anything else fails to stick. 

Now I see that as very straightforward but you seem to want to complicate what is a very simple state of affairs.

Not complicated, I'm sure there have been loads of threads concerning possible signings, actual signings & ex-players along with endless other threads that would be to do with opposition players & teams & managers past & present, surely some of it must of stuck because I'm pretty sure you would have read them.

It's not like we're thinking you may  remember age, height or weight.

Or is it literally only anything Bristol City related that you pay attention too?

You don't watch MOTD (Match Of The Day) or the football league show, Sky Sports News or any football that's on TV during the week or international games?

18 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Think He was number 11 - yes best player on the pitch. Waltzed through our defence, more than once- that's baker and flint. Not seen many do that. 

People on here write off Scottish league players, prob due to mcinnes era, but I remember the dicks era and quality players like Ritchie, Sweeney and Gow. From st mirren and Morton - teams that were doing ok but not great in the league at that time. Those players helped put us up a level. 

Number 11 was Russell, he also looked good in the away match at the Ipro 

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't think so, he's 26 and up to this season, bar 7 games for Oxford 7 or 8 years ago, he's spent his career in non league.

When I hear Rovers' fans on phone ins they often say he didn't play well, missed some sitters but scored in the end.

Didn't he go on a 10/11 game non scoring run this season as well and get dropped?

I doubt he'll score heavily above L2 let alone in the Championship, and if you think about it Agard, who could be on his way out of AG, must be a far better bet to notch in the Championship than Taylor.

Just because a player has spent most of his career in non-league (conference or below) doesn't mean they are without ability to play at a higher level.

Playing with better players can help.

You can earn more playing semi-pro at Confference / South and North and have a day job, than league One or Two....and less risky too.  Maybe that was Matty Taylor.  It was certainly the case for a mate of mine who went from a relegated Championship team to earning more playing Southern League and a professional day job.

Archived