IGNORED

UPDATED: Bristol Fans Derby 2016

Hopesy38

The Bristol Fans Derby 2016 is shaping up to be a great event for all. If you could like the page itself and help spread the word then that'll help a lot, as we are aiming for high numbers at this year's game. If you also know any friends who are fans of rovers, tell them to contact me through the Bristol Fans Derby Facebook page as we are still looking for players for their side. All information on the date and time can be seen on the page, which will be in a link down below.

So you know, all places on the City team are now booked up. Hope to see many of you there!

https://www.facebook.com/bristolfansderby2016

9 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

we are still looking for players for their side. 

I am essentially blind as a bat, heavily incontinent, have a wooden leg and very unfit. I have never played football in my life. I have the co-ordination skills of a drunken giraffe on ice. I also have a tendency to refuse instruction.

What position would you like me to play for them?

3 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am essentially blind as a bat, heavily incontinent, have a wooden leg and very unfit. I have never played football in my life. I have the co-ordination skills of a drunken giraffe on ice. I also have a tendency to refuse instruction.

What position would you like me to play for them?

Qualities like that,they will have you in the first team !

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

The Bristol Fans Derby 2016 is shaping up to be a great event for all. If you could like the page itself and help spread the word then that'll help a lot, as we are aiming for high numbers at this year's game. If you also know any friends who are fans of rovers, tell them to contact me through the Bristol Fans Derby Facebook page as we are still looking for players for their side. All information on the date and time can be seen on the page, which will be in a link down below.

So you know, all places on the City team are now booked up. Hope to see many of you there!

https://www.facebook.com/bristolfansderby2016

@Hopesy38 Out of interest how was the City side chosen?

Would be well worth you promoting a bit more on here today considering the number of views this site gets per day

Doesn't somebody else on here run the fans derby? No offence Hopesy but if you've just decided you want to do this because you haven't heard anything about it from elsewhere then firstly, bit of a slap in the face for the guy who makes all the effort for these usually (don't think you realise how much it takes) and secondly... I wouldn't trust you in organising this kind of thing.

3 hours ago, Hopesy38 said:

We chose the City team on a first-come first serve basis.

So basically your mates and their mates?

Hardly fair. I've looked on the page and can't see anywhere where you have advertised for players.

As someone said this isn't your child, have you sought permission from those who organised this in the past? This doesn't sit right with me for some reason. It appears you have no affiliation with the orginal Fans Derby, it all comes a cross as a bit school boy like. 

Have you even made BMF aware that this isn't the orginal Derby and is a new one? And it's likely it will just be you and all your mates turning up for a kick around leaving BMF out of pocket.

The previous derbies were all well run and well attended and raised money for charities, you have absolutely nothing mentioning raising any money for charities and that was always the purpose of the derbies. Fans from two rival teams coming together to raise money.

It seriously looks like you have stole an event title, and are asking people to attend to watch you and your mates have a kick about.

It seems you had an idea a couple of days ago and have gone into this eyes wide shut.

Bit of advice. Cancel it for this year. Contact the previous organisers and see if they plan on doing any more if if not ask permission to take over.

Book a venue for next season. Decide on some charities you want to raise money for. Make the day of the game an all day event, ie bouncy castles, bbq, maybe even a disco. Figure out the exact costings of everything, pitch hire, stewards, medical staff, cost of kits. Basically make a business plan for the event.

Have a couple of training sessions over the course of the year, maybe a few friendly games etc. See who turns up for that and then pick a team closer to the event.

Advertise the game properly, get the clubs on board, get the local media on board.

Kudos for trying but for now you and your mates need to stick to having a kick around in the park.

Please please please unless you have done all those things don't let this event go ahead. Think it through logically, what if all these people don't turn up on the day? 

In reply to Just Read: Hi Just Read, My name is Tim Monaghan and I've been running the Bristol Fans Derby (Charity) since 2009 alongside Chris Blacker.  We took it from a field (to prove we could run it) to Yate Town and then finally back to Ashton Gate.  We worked alongside the Community Trust, the Supporters Trust and The Football Club itself to raise in total over £14,000 for charity.  We've taken a break for a few years due to the rebuild of Ashton Gate and we're looking at starting up again next year to raise more money for the Community Trust.  I've been pretty proud of our achievements and it took a few years to get the full support from the club (for various reasons). I'm VERY disappointed that nobody as even consulted us about this as all our hard work could be undone with a sloppy event.  For us, we wanted to raise awareness of the Community Trust and have a fun day out for families. I just hope this isn't a "game for the boys" event under the banner we worked so hard to promote. Anyway, I just wanted to make that clear and we will be back next year. Kindest Regards Tim Dicks

44 minutes ago, Dannycidered03 said:

In reply to Just Read: Hi Just Read, My name is Tim Monaghan and I've been running the Bristol Fans Derby (Charity) since 2009 alongside Chris Blacker.  We took it from a field (to prove we could run it) to Yate Town and then finally back to Ashton Gate.  We worked alongside the Community Trust, the Supporters Trust and The Football Club itself to raise in total over £14,000 for charity.  We've taken a break for a few years due to the rebuild of Ashton Gate and we're looking at starting up again next year to raise more money for the Community Trust.  I've been pretty proud of our achievements and it took a few years to get the full support from the club (for various reasons). I'm VERY disappointed that nobody as even consulted us about this as all our hard work could be undone with a sloppy event.  For us, we wanted to raise awareness of the Community Trust and have a fun day out for families. I just hope this isn't a "game for the boys" event under the banner we worked so hard to promote. Anyway, I just wanted to make that clear and we will be back next year. Kindest Regards Tim Dicks

Well that clears it up. After the disaster of the game at the Mem several years ago which saw it stop being at AG I think the current organisers have turned it back around again - so perhaps you should let them carry on @Hopesy38 - nothing to say you can't have a kick about but I don't think you should be doing it under the banner that others have done a lot of work to restore back to the original event myself and many others on the forum put a lot of effort into 10-12 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well that clears it up. After the disaster of the game at the Mem several years ago which saw it stop being at AG I think the current organisers have turned it back around again - so perhaps you should let them carry on @Hopesy38 - nothing to say you can't have a kick about but I don't think you should be doing it under the banner that others have done a lot of work to restore back to the original event myself and many others on the forum put a lot of effort into 10-12 years ago.

Watch out, Tim might get his solicitor involved.:facepalm:

19 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The first eleven people to comment on the picture on the Facebook page; ditto the Gas team.

I'm hoping that the England Euros team selection is run on the same basis then I might get a (few minutes of) a game.

Phew, I'm just relieved I didn't comment 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Hopesy38 at best that is VERY naive at worst it is nothing short of a disgrace !!

So if I had commented I would have got a game? That's pretty frightening for all.

seriously, I guess I would have been excluded for being the wrong sex. But how would you have turned down a 70 year old bloke (I'm not 70 btw, just using an extreme example) if he put his name down before others.

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Hopesy38 at best that is VERY naive at worst it is nothing short of a disgrace !!

I'm not sure if it's Hopesy who's organised it. I've just looked at the fb site and it's taking place at Bristol Manor Farm, (I'd be surprised if a certain forum favourite could manage to organise that!) and the FB posts are signed off 'JD'. Think Hopesy is just promoting it.

The FB page says Murray and Carey are playing, is this confirmed?

I personally think some of the comments on this thread are over the top.

@Hopes38 asked on another thread about the Derby and was told to "arrange it himself", "fair play if you can do it" etc.

The guy has tried, he hasn't set out to ruin the name of the event in the past, he just wants it to continue. 

He did ask for help, and no-one stepped forward. He's spoke to ex-pro's and has got them involved as well as a venue.

Please think before you post, kids are constantly slated for not trying and making effort to arrange things these days, he has tried. Give him credit. 

Since everyone is laying claim, I will just throw in that I setup the very first Fans Derby in around 2001 or 2 as a spin-off from the Net Centre & City and Rovers Rivals.net sites - final score was 6-6 as I recall. Geoff Twentyman was ref. Abiding memory is the Rovers bloke gave it the big "we" as far as organising and agreed to go halves on everything. I paid £100 for the pitch at the City training ground out of my own pocket, a load more on refreshments. Never heard from him after the game and didn't pay a thing. Does that surprise anyone? No. Wasn't involved after that.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Since everyone is laying claim, I will just throw in that I setup the very first Fans Derby in around 2001 or 2 as a spin-off from the Net Centre & City and Rovers Rivals.net sites - final score was 6-6 as I recall. Geoff Twentyman was ref. Abiding memory is the Rovers bloke gave it the big "we" as far as organising and agreed to go halves on everything. I paid £100 for the pitch at the City training ground out of my own pocket, a load more on refreshments. Never heard from him after the game and didn't pay a thing. Does that surprise anyone? No. Wasn't involved after that.

That what was I was thinking about who's organised it previously, it's changed a few times.

The "Bristol Fans Derby" is not a copywrited name I don't think, so if Badger/Jesus whatever seems to think it's 'his' event I don't think he can claim that. It's been transient for years with a few organisers and if a group of lads want to pick up the mantle and organise it themselves then good luck to them.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Selred said:

I personally think some of the comments on this thread are over the top.

@Hopes38 asked on another thread about the Derby and was told to "arrange it himself", "fair play if you can do it" etc.

The guy has tried, he hasn't set out to ruin the name of the event in the past, he just wants it to continue. 

He did ask for help, and no-one stepped forward. He's spoke to ex-pro's and has got them involved as well as a venue.

Please think before you post, kids are constantly slated for not trying and making effort to arrange things these days, he has tried. Give him credit. 

How do you know, nobody contacted him to help?

He was also told that it would be too short notice to do anything this summer due to the logistics of getting it all set up correctly

As he said himself above it was "first come" that got to play - that in itself is a joke

The team behind it all in the past from City AND Rovers worked very hard to build relations with both clubs and it was run VERY professionally.

Like I said above it was naive at best to take on the "Fans derby" without liaising with those who did it in the past

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

How do you know, nobody contacted him to help?

He was also told that it would be too short notice to do anything this summer due to the logistics of getting it all set up correctly

As he said himself above it was "first come" that got to play - that in itself is a joke

The team behind it all in the past from City AND Rovers worked very hard to build relations with both clubs and it was run VERY professionally.

Like I said above it was naive at best to take on the "Fans derby" without liaising with those who did it in the past

By looking at his thread, no-one came forward saying "I can give you a hand". 

Sorry but calling it "nothing short of a disgrace" is massively over the top. He is trying to arrange a football match between two sets of fans, not world war three.

Okay it's not the "official" event, however it is people playing a game they love. It could of been organised better but don't just hammer the guy for trying. It's all easy to criticize. 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That what was I was thinking about who's organised it previously, it's changed a few times.

The "Bristol Fans Derby" is not a copywrited name I don't think, so if Badger/Jesus whatever seems to think it's 'his' event I don't think he can claim that. It's been transient for years with a few organisers and if a group of lads want to pick up the mantle and organise it themselves then good luck to them.

Well as Olé said, the origins came from the rivals board and I remeber the 6-6 draw. After that year it shifted on to here and a number of us (NickJ, BigRedRich, MattyH to cite a few) ran it really well for a few years with the event being held at the Mem & AG and raising over £25k+ over the years we did it.  We passed the event on to the likes of Tim as its only fair everyone who wanted to enjoy the experience could - unfortunately to ecco Olé problems about the 'other side' - the first year we weren't involved Rovers drafted in several semi pro players.. the game was played with the spirt lost of previous games and rovers players actually goading and shouting expletives at City fans (myself included) at the game.  SL & ML were at the game and I don't think they were impressed as they following year the game wasn't played at AG.  Tim has since pulled it back around and done a good job of getting the clubs back on side.  I don't think its about claiming who has the rights to it, its more that perhaps it would have been better to check and see what was happening - its clear Tim and co still have plans.

Nobody is stopping Hopsey orgnaising a game although I think the first come first served thing is a bad idea personally. 

18 minutes ago, Olé said:

That was a great game. Someone on our side scored an absolute screamer from about 40 yards out didn't they? I'm pretty sure I just ran up and down the left wing to little or no effect for most of the game, as usual.

The two games I played in (this one and one* in around 2004 or 5) were both great events and really well organised. I'm not sure what's being arranged now is quite the same thing. That doesn't mean it can't happen but it does seem to me that the organisers would be better off postponing it to next season, even if only to September time, in order that they can do a proper job.

* Actually whichever year it was, there were two that year. One of our players got badly injured in the main game and a rematch was arranged as a benefit for him. It's important that this game isn't forgotten because (a) we won, and (b) I scored a goal.

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well as Olé said, the origins came from the rivals board and I remeber the 6-6 draw. After that year it shifted on to here and a number of us (NickJ, BigRedRich, MattyH to cite a few) ran it really well for a few years with the event being held at the Mem & AG and raising over £25k+ over the years we did it.  We passed the event on to the likes of Tim as its only fair everyone who wanted to enjoy the experience could - unfortunately to ecco Olé problems about the 'other side' - the first year we weren't involved Rovers drafted in several semi pro players.. the game was played with the spirt lost of previous games and rovers players actually goading and shouting expletives at City fans (myself included) at the game.  SL & ML were at the game and I don't think they were impressed as they following year the game wasn't played at AG.  Tim has since pulled it back around and done a good job of getting the clubs back on side.  I don't think its about claiming who has the rights to it, its more that perhaps it would have been better to check and see what was happening - its clear Tim and co still have plans.

Nobody is stopping Hopsey orgnaising a game although I think the first come first served thing is a bad idea personally. 

A very fair summation, it's very easy to lay into people who are making an effort.

3 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

* Actually whichever year it was, there were two that year. One of our players got badly injured in the main game and a rematch was arranged as a benefit for him. It's important that this game isn't forgotten because (a) we won, and (b) I scored a goal.

Norton Red, who ended up being carted off to hospital and missed the pens at the end. He also was off work for several weeks after.

Archived