IGNORED

UPDATED: Bristol Fans Derby 2016

Hopesy38

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Well as Olé said, the origins came from the rivals board and I remeber the 6-6 draw. After that year it shifted on to here and a number of us (NickJ, BigRedRich, MattyH to cite a few) ran it really well for a few years with the event being held at the Mem & AG and raising over £25k+ over the years we did it.  We passed the event on to the likes of Tim as its only fair everyone who wanted to enjoy the experience could - unfortunately to ecco Olé problems about the 'other side' - the first year we weren't involved Rovers drafted in several semi pro players.. the game was played with the spirt lost of previous games and rovers players actually goading and shouting expletives at City fans (myself included) at the game.  SL & ML were at the game and I don't think they were impressed as they following year the game wasn't played at AG.  Tim has since pulled it back around and done a good job of getting the clubs back on side.  I don't think its about claiming who has the rights to it, its more that perhaps it would have been better to check and see what was happening - its clear Tim and co still have plans.

Nobody is stopping Hopsey orgnaising a game although I think the first come first served thing is a bad idea personally. 

Interesting to read that, didn't know it'd been going on so long.

Agree the first come first served thing could have been better yes. It prevents a broad church of people attending (and less money for the hosting club) as it'll most likely just be a group of mates. 

Passing this on for Tim:

Phileas Fogg: I completely agree. Its not a case of ownership at all. When we restarted the fans derby back up again in 2009, we got permission from the previous organisers as we felt it was right. That finished for various reasons out of their control and they did a great job. Its not a case of ownership, of course I or anyone else doesn't own it. I'm more annoyed as we're still ticking things along on the background really for the re-launch at the New Stadium. Fairplay to them, but we just don't want people associating next years event for the BCCT with this one. I don't want to put Hopesy down, but we've put a lot of personal time into growing it back up to where it was.

I was involved in a couple of these matches, it take more than a couple of weeks to sort out correctly... In the past we had a couple of training sessions, picked the team based on ability etc..

The whole idea of the fans derby in recent years is to raise some money for local causes, and you need time to get decent raffle prizes / auction prized in to do that.

I hope it goes well for them this year, but please take the time to get it right, one scrap because the wrong people are involved and its in the bin again with charities beng the ones who miss out...

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone else feel a bit sorry for Hopesy?!

I do, he's one of my favourite posters on here and means well. At the crux of it, all he wanted was to play in a fans derby game and he and some mates have tried to make that happen. Ok, the organisation and logistics are important and appear to have been overlooked a bit but he is trying.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone else feel a bit sorry for Hopesy?!

Very mixed feelings!

It's good that he's put the time and effort into making this happen.

However....  as there already is a group who have turned the fans derby into a success and had been planing a return next season to coincide with the stadium completion then I would have let them continue with their plans and not hold one this year.

The lessons learned from past derbies that significantly improved them have not been taken account of and as to the basis of team selection, um, crikey.

I genuinely hope that it will be a success but it doesn't look to have been organised at all well and the old joke about bringing a kit to the ground in case you get a game may well be true.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The lessons learned from past derbies that significantly improved them have not been taken account of and as to the basis of team selection, um, crikey.

I hope they realise about insurance etc, as mentioned above a lad was off of work for a long time as a result of an injury in a previous match

I apologise about my previous post, I'm now aware that Hopesy may think slightly different to us all. I maybe should have tried to word it better.

I am sure to Hopesy this is a great idea(and it is) but it's a last minute thing and unfortunately I don't think he understands all the logistics in organising this.

I'm just thinking out of the box but if next year's is in the planning maybe Tim could ask Hopesy if he would like to be involved in the organisation?

Was lucky enough to play in 3 of these games, they really were fantastic occasions to be a part of and nobody should doubt the amount of planning and effort that went in to get everything running as well as they did.

Got to meet a whole host of well known OTIB users (far too many to name here) who were all fantastically welcoming. The actual games were great experiences and I'll be forever thankful to those that put the effort in for giving me the opportunity to be a part of it.

It was great to see it revived recently in the right spirit, and I just have to echo a lot of the other comments above that I hope going forward it continues to be organised and run in the right spirit.

Norton Red's injury still makes me feel a bit queasy to this day!

To the original organisers of the Bristol Fan's Derby;

Me and the fellow organisers of THIS year's derby are sorry about how most are feeling.

But being honest, it's been absent for far too long, I know it was wrong to go on without the say so.. but it had to return at some point. I did send messages to the originals about a fans derby last year and the year before that, but there was no word!

We didn't mean any harm by it, honest.. it didn't just have to be at the gate despite how much it is awesome.. it's all for charity anyway and this year ALL the money is going to Children's Hospice South West.

We'd still like to invite the original organisers of the derby to come down and see how we will do.. it will be a great day I assure you!

I can't really do much other than apologise, but it'd mean a lot to come down anyway to see.

Regards..

22 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

Me and the fellow organisers of THIS year's derby are sorry about how most are feeling.

But being honest, it's been absent for far too long, I know it was wrong to go on without the say so.. but it had to return at some point. I did send messages to the originals about a fans derby last year and the year before that, but there was no word!

We didn't mean any harm by it, honest.. it didn't just have to be at the gate despite how much it is awesome.. it's all for charity anyway and this year ALL the money is going to Children's Hospice South West.

We'd still like to invite the original organisers of the derby to come down and see how we will do.. it will be a great day I assure you!

I can't really do much other than apologise, but it'd mean a lot to come down anyway to see.

Regards..

Hey Hopesy, do you have a PlayStation or Xbox? Can I steal it and then invite you around to play it with me?

I got to be brutally honest but by the way you have wrote that it appears your attitude absolutely stinks.

Considering you have taken it upon yourself to host the Derby (basically stole it) If I attended I'd be wary about donating my money to charity and that would be unfortunate.

The sad thing is you have failed to acknowledge any of the constructive comments and have just put your middle finger up and shrugged your shoulders because.

As previously said it is going to return in the future, that's if the reputation isn't ruined by you.

Will you be hosting an alternative Glastonbury festival if it moves away from Glastonbury?

I just don't understand how you know its wrong and you didn't mean any harm by it but you have done it anyway?

This whole thing appears to be a disaster in the making. Please take on board everyone's comments. No one is trying to be harsh on purpose, many of us have organised events and know what needs to be put into it and that takes much more than a couple of weeks planning. 

If the event is poor then that wrecks the reputation of the Derby which people have worked hard to rebuild. It also causes you personal embarrassment and both of those things should be avoided. You can't even guarantee you will have a starting 11.

46 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

Regards..

Absolute joke the way you have gone about this. I really hope the hard work of others in recent years isn't ruined by your sheer stupidity in an attempt to play a 'Derby' against your mates. 

If that's all you wanted, you could have done that without ripping off a day that has rebuilt its reputation in recent years and has been a great success. 

To be honest hopesy I have absolutely no time for your attitude and what you have done. I normally attend these games and would generally play most times but I won't be attending this one. First comment gets to play???? What a joke of organisation.

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Absolute joke the way you have gone about this. I really hope the hard work of others in recent years isn't ruined by your sheer stupidity in an attempt to play a 'Derby' against your mates. 

If that's all you wanted, you could have done that without ripping off a day that has rebuilt its reputation in recent years and has been a great success. 

To be honest hopesy I have absolutely no time for your attitude and what you have done. I normally attend these games and would generally play most times but I won't be attending this one. First comment gets to play???? What a joke of organisation.

It's not all mates of mine, the only mate that's on the team is the other organiser.

We've done our best, yeah it may not be the best organisation but we wanted to bring it back to life.

19 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

It's not all mates of mine, the only mate that's on the team is the other organiser.

We've done our best, yeah it may not be the best organisation but we wanted to bring it back to life.

The sad thing is, you havnt done your best at all. I've no doubt if you had a year to organise an event you would do it well.

It is being brought back to life, just not this year.

How come you and your mate get an automatic starting place?

43 minutes ago, Just Red said:

The sad thing is, you havnt done your best at all. I've no doubt if you had a year to organise an event you would do it well.

It is being brought back to life, just not this year.

How come you and your mate get an automatic starting place?

Excuse me..? We have done our ******* best this year, don't start criticising me when the event hasn't even begun yet.

How dare you actually say a thing like that.. it's for charity.

12 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

Prior to yesterday there was no mention anywhere of this being for charity. I then said something about that in a comment on here and suddenly today you announce that your being 'sponsored' by a charity, coincidence? I think not. 

Don't you try using that when you didn't mention anything about raising money until I mentioned it!! 

For your information I actually help to run a registered charity that has raised vast amounts over the years so please don't try saying I'm anti charity!!

Just now, Just Red said:

Prior to yesterday there was no mention anywhere of this being for charity. I then said something about that in a comment on here and suddenly today you announce that your being 'sponsored' by a charity, coincidence? I think not. 

Don't you try using that when you didn't mention anything about raising money until I mentioned it!! 

For your information I actually help to run a registered charity that has raised vast amounts over the years so please don't try saying I'm anti charity!!

I never said you were anti-charity.

It was always going to be a charity match! Look on the page on Facebook.

18 minutes ago, Hopesy38 said:

Excuse me..? We have done our ******* best this year, don't start criticising me when the event hasn't even begun yet.

Many on here can see this event is doomed because of the poor organisation of an event that's not even truly yours. Picking people by them commenting on a post first shows that.

No one at all is trying to criticise you. We are actually trying to help you here and your resistance to take people's comments on board is what is going to make this event a failure.

22 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Many on here can see this event is doomed because of the poor organisation of an event that's not even truly yours. Picking people by them commenting on a post first shows that.

No one at all is trying to criticise you. We are actually trying to help you here and your resistance to take people's comments on board is what is going to make this event a failure.

Doomed.. ok pal.

4 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Serious question hopsey. Have you got Stewards, insurance, refreshments, kits, turnstile operators, etc. organised?

With the greatest respect to him I highly doubt it. I'm imagining for Hopesy he just thinks it's as simple as getting two teams together and play a game of football. Although that's refreshing I'm saddened by him refusing to take on board comments which are aimed to help him. 

Archived