IGNORED

Never, ever doubted it

BigAl&Toby

Never doubted it...from about twenty five minutes ago. Always believe (but demons to fight...).

Last serious worry for me moment I guess was half time v Rotherham, us losing and MK winning. Was at the end of those matches where I moved from 'still in a battle' to 'only us could screw it from here' mode.

5 minutes ago, #roe said:

Even if Steve Cotterill would have stayed I still think we'd have stayed up.

Congrats to Lee Johnson for doing the first part of his job though.

I disagree. After the PNE game I thought it was only a matter of time unless we replaced Cotts

Although it's been proper grim at times, we've never been adrift, partly due to others being as bad as us or worse, but also because we've managed to get a result at just the right time on several occasions, even under Cotts. I stand to be corrected, but I think our longest losing run at any point is only 2 or 3 games. 

11 minutes ago, #roe said:

Even if Steve Cotterill would have stayed I still think we'd have stayed up.

Congrats to Lee Johnson for doing the first part of his job though.

Under SC our form was woeful. People have such short memories. He had no plan B, and even if he did he wouldn't have used as he kept going with what wasn't working.

We had 21 points in 26 games under SC - 0.8 points a game. Carry on at that rate, we would have picked up another 14 or so points from the next 18 games:

MK Dons - 39

Charlton - 37

City - 35

Bolton - 27

That's how the table could have looked today, not even taking into account us beating MK Dons and Charlton after he left. Even with an 'upturn' in form under SC which never looked like coming, you can see we had making up to do. We would be going down.

17 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Under SC our form was woeful. People have such short memories. He had no plan B, and even if he did he wouldn't have used as he kept going with what wasn't working.

We had 21 points in 26 games under SC - 0.8 points a game. Carry on at that rate, we would have picked up another 14 or so points from the next 18 games:

MK Dons - 39

Charlton - 37

City - 35

Bolton - 27

That's how the table could have looked today, not even taking into account us beating MK Dons and Charlton after he left. Even with an 'upturn' in form under SC which never looked like coming, you can see we had making up to do. We would be going down.

Our form under LJ hasn't been good either. One win in the last six games with an average of two goals conceded in each of those games. So much for the change in formation being such a masterstroke

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Our form under LJ hasn't been good either. One win in the last six games with an average of two goals conceded in each of those games. So much for the change in formation being such a masterstroke

1 win, but three draws = 6 points and puts us comfortably mid table, 13th in fact in the form table for the last 6 games. And those 6 games included 3 against top 6 teams. All in all i'd call that progress.

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fair enough - he did what was needed, but it doesn't exactly look like an exciting new dawn 

Blimey who pissed on your chips? Lee didn't have a window but he and Ashton have bought in quality loans and we've cleared the hurdle with games to go.

I personally much prefer this exciting new dawn than yet another trip to Wembley in the paint pot trophy with SC at the helm.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yes because we all knew LJ was a great manager!

Didnt have to be a great manager, just had something about which City wanted and he steered us clear.

For me LJ is a good manager, he makes mistakes but he's young, up and coming coach clearly learning at this level (and doing fine)

SC who was more experienced manager totally shot himself in the foot this season, all the great work he did last season completely unravelled this season, had to go and all in all it was the best decision. 

31 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Fair enough - he did what was needed, but it doesn't exactly look like an exciting new dawn 

26 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Actually, considering how solid we were defensively under Pemberton and Wade, I would argue it's not really progress

With all due respect, you seem like a bit of a half glass empty kind of person. Yes, look and of course there are negatives to be found.

People are funny, always the grass is greener. I'm not sure you can judge Pembo (who was SC's assistant, don't forget) and Wade on the few games they had. What they did do was make the obvious change away from 5-3-2 that everyone bar SC knew we should do and in my opinion played a much more conservative game than we do under LJ where he sends us out for the win.

All things considered though, aim one for this season had to be survival, that's a tick. Next season, in my view, consolidation.

54 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

In the words of another;

Zzzzzzzzzz ;)

Or The Specials in 79.

Its up to you!

Well done to the Muppet. Or Puppet. Or Yes Man.

You know my thoughts. Thank Christ Cotterill lost it and got the chop. 

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Was at the end of those matches where I moved from 'still in a battle' to 'only us could screw it from here'

The thing that gave me hope the last few games was that 'only the sags could screw it up from here'. :laugh:

LJ has done well, came in when things looked dire, now he has earned the chance to build his team for next year, which will be what he will then be judged on.

7 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Luckily, we could count on Charlton and Bolton to be an absolute mess this year and keep the two bottom spots occupied. I wonder if some other former Prem clubs will do it next season...my money is on Fulham

Blackburn for me. Fulham will get shedloads for McCormick & Dembele and should be able to invest enough of it to improve. Blackburn seem like dead men walking listening to their fans.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Blackburn for me. Fulham will get shedloads for McCormick & Dembele and should be able to invest enough of it to improve. Blackburn seem like dead men walking listening to their fans.

Oh yeah of course, I keep forgetting they don't have Jordan Rhodes to carry them away from danger anymore and Venkys are just the nightmare owners. Here is the definitive proof...

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Villa could be a complete mess next year too - fingers crossed. And hopefully at least one of the ones coming up from L1 will struggle too.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Actually, considering how solid we were defensively under Pemberton and Wade, I would argue it's not really progress

:laugh: really? When Pembo and Wade finished their short stint we were 3 points ahead of the relegation zone.. now we are 10 ahead. Well done on finding a negative in a very positive day for the club though.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Huddersfield will probably sell Wells and Rotherham won`t have Colin so arguably they both wouldn`t be above us but you never know!

S.S.N. just interviewed Colin; he is saying he wants to manage in the Championship next season, and is having meetings with Rotherham. 

Buggar ! :(

Archived