IGNORED

BOOOOOO/DOOOOOMED

Shtanley

55 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Extremely lucky?? To avoid relegation by 10 points? Jeez........

Gotta say that crossed my mind too!

Hey Ho....Admission of being wrong, even if I get the impression it was slightly backhanded is ok. I'll take it!

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Reading away was the low point for me. Yet another late goal costing us points. Relegation began to feel inevitable. If you'd offered me safety with two games to spare at that point in time, I'd have bitten your hand off for it.

Credit to all involved in the recovery. Signing the good players we needed and turning around our season was a very impressive achievement, and something that didn't look likely at all in January.

Agreed. That was an almighty low point and I felt at the time that relegation would be a formality. To have picked up the points we have has been sensational. The hard work begins now though and we certainly have to make sure we are not in the same situation next season.

7 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Proved wrong about what? I never ever said we would go down with LJ as manager. Please find where I have said and post. LJ has proved nothing, we barely stayed up and relied in other teams to be worse than city. I still believe that LJ is not the man to take us to the next level (top 10). Now his work starts to prove me wrong. Massive summer ahead. We have definitely not stayed up comfortably, you must of been watching a different team. Good luck LJ, but he's still not the man for me, maybe he is for you, fair enough. Oh thanks for thinking of me personall with your post, much appreciated.

You're very welcome it's nice of you to constantly thank people for thinking of you. Although if Barely staying up is 10 points clear I hope we barely make mid table next year as it could mean playoffs.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Mine was Charlton at home. Never have I felt so deflated after a game and convinced we were heading for League 1. To chuck away two points against one of the worst teams I have ever seen at AG was truly shocking.

What game number was it (roughly)? http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/progress/bristolcity

A season of real highs and terrible lows. Charlton and MK at home. Boro away and home, Sheffield Wednesday at home and for the last six minutes of the first half, Derby County last week.

Well done everyone and thanks. I remember Jon Stead telling us that we should not celebrate staying up but it feels better than the dreaded drop.

Here's to record ST sales, a good recruitment of quality and a season to really make us part of the Championship (for a couple of years before the rising from the ashes of 1982 is completed)

26 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

..goodness me, we you at any games this season?

...I can guess your answer...

If your guess is 28 then fair play Thatch! I know you love to be pessimistic but be honest and admit we didn't "barely stay up". 10 points is a big amount.

Fair play to Johnson who has kept us up and no doubt gets a nice wedge for doing so, I hope pembo and wade get some sort of financial recognition for helping save us from league one and the financial penaltys that would have entailed, team effort in the end and i hope pembo is around for a long time.

No real individual low point for me, but every single time a goal let in due to clownshoes defending (and these were the VAST majority of goals we let in this season) my heart sank. Take the bullshit out and we were playoff contenders, no doubt.

Lee is quality

He has saved our season and SL's blushes re stadium

Now let's see some proper player investment

Have always had a nagging thought that SL's plan was for promotion this season not last

But if he hasn't the cash or the will to invest properly in the team then he needs to bring in more money people asap

56 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Proved wrong about what? I never ever said we would go down with LJ as manager. Please find where I have said and post. LJ has proved nothing, we barely stayed up and relied in other teams to be worse than city. I still believe that LJ is not the man to take us to the next level (top 10). Now his work starts to prove me wrong. Massive summer ahead. We have definitely not stayed up comfortably, you must of been watching a different team. Good luck LJ, but he's still not the man for me, maybe he is for you, fair enough. Oh thanks for thinking of me personall with your post, much appreciated.

LJ has averaged 1.5 points per game since arriving (not including the Charlton game). I'd say that's a superb return and is definitely "Top 10" form over the course of a season (69 points).

You say we "barely stayed up"- if so, given the stats above, that's surely a reflection of how bad a points return we had before LJ because his record is excellent and far exceeded my expectations.

The funny thing is that should we do well in the last two matches and MKD do poorly the league table will show we avoided relegation comfortably. Looking back in the future the trials and tribulations of this season will not then be apparent.

It really was important we stayed up and it is mission accomplished. Despite the lows of this season I feel it has been absorbing and far from boring.

Well done to all at City.

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

I can count on one hand when it comes to teams coming to our ground and actually looking better than us. Improvements will be made to prevent the amount of points dropped.

As for 10 points being 'not much' in terms of survival margin.... Your 'next level' of top ten is only 10 points away. In a 46 game season, that's not a lot. I would therefore assume that LJ isn't good enough to extend our final tally by 10 points? Doesn't sound unrealistic, given the circumstances of this season.

And he's 'not that guy'?! Bore off. He's shown he is worthy of that challenge, given our situation when he came in, obviously not taking anything away from Pembo's stint.

Happy also to say I was wrong. I wasn't pleased with LJ. Thought he had minimal experience, wasn't an attractive name to future players etc.

Never said we'd go down. Just said will make a judgement at the end of season, and with a points return of 1.5 points per game under LJ, that's a good indicator of the future. 

He (and Wadey and Pembo) got us out the shit. Hope Pembo stays around for next season too.

Now over to Mark Ashton to bring in the transfers. Now we'll see if his appointment will make a difference in comparison to last summer...

It's a difference of opinion, not a personal attack.  Why add comments such as 'bore off'? Are you more entitled to your opinion? 

LJ will be judged throughout next season with hopefully many peaks and a few troughs. However, if there are more troughs than peaks I for one will not be happy, as I want to see my club be successful, just as I did under many former managers. LJ will be transient as all managers are, he may become a legend, he may crash and burn and be sacked by Christmas. We the fans are the only constant in the equation.  It is not worthwhile making it personal or proving your data mining skills by plucking a thread out of the archives where I said I did not want LJ as manager.

We have survived, it is time to galvanise the fan base for a good season (mid-table for me) in 16/17.

Del

20 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Reading away was the low point for me. Yet another late goal costing us points. Relegation began to feel inevitable. If you'd offered me safety with two games to spare at that point in time, I'd have bitten your hand off for it.

Credit to all involved in the recovery. Signing the good players we needed and turning around our season was a very impressive achievement, and something that didn't look likely at all in January.

Truly was. Why Cotterill thought we were fantastic was absolutely baffling.. We were abysmal that day and if Reading had their shooting boots on that day it would've been further embarrasing... Contrary to belief about 'team spirit', the dissension between the midfield and JK was unbelievable.

I was against the appointment of LJ. I thought we'd go down.

Whilst he's 'done his job', we're fortunate that MK are absolutely pants, an both Bolton and Charlton are clubs in disarray. Also fortunate we managed to secure the signings of O'Donnell and Tomlin who have been instrumental. Fair play to Mark Ashton for that. 

As mentioned, still would've preferred Warnock, still do.

Regardless, it's Championship football again next year so happy days. 

Fingers crossed we see more quality similar to Tomlin at the gate on a permanent basis next year. 

6 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

Whilst he's 'done his job', we're fortunate that MK are absolutely pants, an both Bolton and Charlton are clubs in disarray. Also fortunate we managed to secure the signings of O'Donnell and Tomlin who have been instrumental. Fair play to Mark Ashton for that. 

Fingers crossed we see more quality similar to Tomlin at the gate on a permanent basis next year. 

We're really not. Last 10 years 47 points on average would secure safety; we've amassed 49 points with two games to go. There's no denying MK are pants and both Bolton and Charlton are clubs in disarray, but that doesn't take away from the fact that most years there are clubs which are absolutely pants and in disarray. It doesn't make it through fortune that we are staying up. It's because we have done (what on average) is enough to keep you up and with games to spare. Had MK Dons not picked up any more points and we finished 21st on 40 points then that arguably we would be staying up through fortune.

16 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

You can't be 'fortunate' that other teams are poor, it comes with the territory of a relegation battle. All three clubs had the same number of games as us to stay up, played the same set of opponents twice and two of those are probably paying higher average weekly wages to their players. He's done a very good job in the circumstances.

There were three low points for me MK, Reading and Charlton.   All with a common theme.  Left each game totally depressed.  Think Charlton was the worse though they were so bad but you just knew.  For once though the decision makers got it right in making a tough call to sack Cotterill.  LJs appointment was an anti climax for me and whether he is the long term massiah remains to be seen.  In the short term to a large extent he just did what we all knew what any manager must do and that was to scrap 5-3-2.  This summers transfer window will decide whether or not we got a stay of execution or become an established Championship club.

31 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

O'Donnell was signed before SC left, so no fortune on LJ's part there.

Are you giving Mark Ashton all the credit for Tomlin's signing then? No input from the manager? Doubt it TBH.

And Mr Warnock was allowed to bring players in after his appointment, was he "fortunate" too?

Really struggling to get some of the anti LJ stuff on here. Is it because of his time here as a player? Who is Dad was? The fact he's not Warnock??

Preston at home was the game changer for me. Before that I would have kept SC but that night we had a looked of a team destined for relegation. It wasn’t just the performances but also when a player who you let go, who is not known for his goal scoring exploits, scores the winner against you then you know the luck you need in any relegation fight was dead against you. LJ was not my first choice but he would have been in my top five or six and certainly above Warnock. Yes the bottom three sides are poor but he has beaten all three of them, something that SC failed to do, ok he may not have had much influence on the Charlton game. We are 10 pts clear of the relegation zone and if the season had started when LJ had taken over then we would be challenging for a play-off place at the very least so I don’t see that as being fortunate. I really can’t see how anyone can be knocking LJ at the present time he has done the short term job he was given to do. Now it’s time to push on and we all have to wait with bated breath to see what the summer brings because once the loanees go back we are probably in a worse position player wise than we were at this time last season. This summer would be the proof of the pudding when it comes to LJ and Mark Ashton. Judging by their track record since they took over I’m confident they will pass this particular test and I believe it may be quite an exciting summer.:fingerscrossed:

13 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It's how the table works.  Worst teams at the bottom and get relegated, best teams at the top and get promoted.

Thatch is right, it is very fortunate for Boro, Burnley and Brighton that there are 21 teams worse than them in the league, otherwise they wouldn't have had a chance, ;)

Amazing isn't it how so many people won't give the club any credit for the active changes made to address the situation - new manager, new players, new formation - and instead prefer to insist the only reason we weren't relegated was "fortune".  As if it was all as simple as the toss of a coin.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Amazing isn't it how so many people won't give the club any credit for the active changes made to address the situation - new manager, new players, new formation - and instead prefer to insist the only reason we weren't relegated was "fortune".  As if it was all as simple as the toss of a coin.

It's all irrelevant now anyway. They've only gone and picked red shorts on the kit.

Can I get a refund on my ST for next season do you think....

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

O'Donnell was signed before SC left, so no fortune on LJ's part there.

Are you giving Mark Ashton all the credit for Tomlin's signing then? No input from the manager? Doubt it TBH.

And Mr Warnock was allowed to bring players in after his appointment, was he "fortunate" too?

Really struggling to get some of the anti LJ stuff on here. Is it because of his time here as a player? Who is Dad was? The fact he's not Warnock??

Don't know about anyone else but that's what I like most about him! :) 

5 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Indeed. So we are not quite as 'worse' as the the worst. But that's all City needed to achieve in the end....not something to be pleased about.

Depends on your objective Thatch.  You don't think Bournemouth would consider survival in the Premier League to be something to be pleased about this season?  You seem to think we are some sort of underachieving colossus of the lower divisions.  Wake up and smell the coffee.  We have just been promoted into a division full of former Premier League teams with parachute payments and bigger clubs with bigger attendances and bigger budgets.  The primary objective this season was first and foremost survival, and a platform from which to build once the stadium redevelopment was complete.  Of course we would like to have achieved more, and of course we haven't thrived off the back of last year quite as we might have hoped, but ultimately, we have achieved our primary objective and we start next season on the same number of points as everyone else in the division.  That's something to be pleased about.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Depends on your objective Thatch.  You don't think Bournemouth would consider survival in the Premier League to be something to be pleased about this season?  You seem to think we are some sort of underachieving colossus of the lower divisions.  Wake up and smell the coffee.  We have just been promoted into a division full of former Premier League teams with parachute payments and bigger clubs with bigger attendances and bigger budgets.  The primary objective this season was first and foremost survival, and a platform from which to build once the stadium redevelopment was complete.  Of course we would like to have achieved more, and of course we haven't thrived off the back of last year quite as we might have hoped, but ultimately, we have achieved our primary objective and we start next season on the same number of points as everyone else in the division.  That's something to be pleased about.

I think our historical average position is one of the relegation places in this division. If I've got that right then what we managed this year is in a way an overachievement- though one that we should always aim to be beating.

Archived