IGNORED

BCFC Backroom Analysis team

Red Skin

Very interesting (IMHO) piece on the role of the analysis team in terms of preparing for games, reviewing performance and working with scouting team.  Link is to Mondays sound of the city on BBC iplayer.

SOUND OF THE CITY

Starts about 52 mins.

Good to see that the club is taking this aspect of the game seriously.  Another positive.

5 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Think you might find this interesting @spudski. (None one else has, ha, ha)  Assuming you weren't already aware of course.

Indeed fella...I knew about the analysts. When I used to bang on about SoD trying to get things up and running behind the scenes in the past, this was the type of thing I was on about.

We are still behind many teams, but at least we are getting there now.

Ridiculous to think we really didn't do this when we were last in the Championship.

Yes, I nearly mentioned the Sean O'Driscoll bit, but thought it'd open the door to the usual abuse so didn't.

Agree.  Given SL business acumen it's astounding it's taken so long to get the fundamentals in place.  Latest appointments all bode well too.

3 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Yes, I nearly mentioned the Sean O'Driscoll bit, but thought it'd open the door to the usual abuse so didn't.

Agree.  Given SL business acumen it's astounding it's taken so long to get the fundamentals in place.  Latest appointments all bode well too.

Not only his acumen but the fact that his entire business that he's made his billion from has to be by its very nature based largely on analysis and having the most up to date processes, procedures and systems to back that analysis up. 

10 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Still more analysts and full time Scouts needed imo.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Still more analysts and full time Scouts needed imo.

Yes.  Compared to Brighton we seem well behind.  Also makes you wonder where this all goes next,  Once all clubs start doing this the emphasis goes back onto developing and retaining your our players.  We should be head-hunting the best coaches too.  

24 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Yes.  Compared to Brighton we seem well behind.  Also makes you wonder where this all goes next,  Once all clubs start doing this the emphasis goes back onto developing and retaining your our players.  We should be head-hunting the best coaches too.  

I think it also boils down to having a head coach/manager, that is proactive in this line of management, and not scared to try things.

There have been over time, a number of clubs and managers, especially in this league, that had a merry go round of tried and tested players, that go from one club to the next.

'Experience' they may have...but quality not necessarily...plus many rest on their laurels and just go through the motions.

There are players in the lower leagues, academies and abroad that have quality and are hungry...Leicester are a great example of what can be found at lower prices and given a chance. Even if they did cheat their way into the Prem. financially.

The amount of players found in French league 2 that have done well in this Country astounds me.

There are quality players in Spanish League 2 as well and Portugal's smaller clubs.

It's just taking the chance and trusting in your sources. Getting a good net work of quality sources is a must.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

There are quality players in Spanish League 2 as well and Portugal's smaller clubs.

Plenty of Spanish in Bristol these days too.  Be nice to develop Spanish contingent of fans at AG like Malaga has its Guiri Army.  They even have El Rincon to drink in before the game. :)

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think it also boils down to having a head coach/manager, that is proactive in this line of management, and not scared to try things.

There have been over time, a number of clubs and managers, especially in this league, that had a merry go round of tried and tested players, that go from one club to the next.

It should be said here that the analysis team at City did increase while SC was manager.

In among what happened I think he's viewed as an old-school stubborn manager in some quarters which isn't quite fair.

7 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

It should be said here that the analysis team at City did increase while SC was manager.

In among what happened I think he's viewed as an old-school stubborn manager in some quarters which isn't quite fair.

Of course it increased...and will continue to do so...but it had nothing to do with SC employing them.

As for being 'old school'...in some aspects he is, in others...not.

As for 'Stubborn'...seriously?

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of course it increased...and will continue to do so...but it had nothing to do with SC employing them.

As for being 'old school'...in some aspects he is, in others...not.

As for 'Stubborn'...seriously?

It did have to do with SC, yes. And of course he is stubborn, you've misunderstood me, I meant he's not averse to changes in technique (just not with 3-5-2). Anyway this is in danger of dragging the whole thread off topic.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

It did have to do with SC, yes. And of course he is stubborn, you've misunderstood me, I meant he's not averse to changes in technique (just not with 3-5-2). Anyway this is in danger of dragging the whole thread off topic.

It had nothing to do with SC...KB had a hand in it, continuing after SoD left. As did the scouting. Hence Kodijia being sought out.

I'm really not sure why you brought up SC into this thread, as he hadn't been mentioned once in it, or implied otherwise.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

'Experience' they may have...but quality not necessarily...plus many rest on their laurels and just go through the motions.

There are players in the lower leagues, academies and abroad that have quality and are hungry...Leicester are a great example of what can be found at lower prices and given a chance. Even if they did cheat their way into the Prem. financially.

The amount of players found in French league 2 that have done well in this Country astounds me.

It's just taking the chance and trusting in your sources. Getting a good net work of quality sources is a must.

From my time living in Portugal and watching their top two leagues, admittedly only on TV, there are a lot of very good players there. Even the big three, Benfica, Sporting and Porto, recruit cheaply from South America, mostly Brasil, develop the players and then keep their finances ticking over by onward sales. The rest use those not quite good enough for the big three to fill their squads and similarly selling at a profit. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Interesting read here on Leicester. and what goes on with training... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189778

Cheers Spudski.  Bit like the Olympic cycling - adding up all the small margins to make a difference. (Though to be fair they have gone for large margins on sexism and abusing disabled cyclists of late).

Interesting that in that article, they mentioned that a lot of managers ignored advice, and that the Leicester owners told Ranieri he had to listen to them.

I was told by someone quiet a few years back as to how Arsenal worked with Sports Science.

They monitor a players every move.

Fans would often question why Wenger had dropped a player, even though they were playing well.

The reason being, the Sports analysts had spotted a players performances showing details that would indicate they were under performing, due to them carrying a slight knock or that they were about to get a long term injury due to wear and tear. Often dropped for prevention over long term cure.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Interesting read here on Leicester. and what goes on with training... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189778

it will be interesting to see if their bodies can maintain it for another season. I want a cryotherapy ice chamber… and I do like beetroot.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-beetroot-a-superfood.aspx

Leicester appear to have a good set-up and morale around the whole place (not just at this time) which SL is keen to implement (and has done ). I think we are going in the right direction.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

it will be interesting to see if their bodies can maintain it for another season. I want a cryotherapy ice chamber… and I do like beetroot.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-beetroot-a-superfood.aspx

Leicester appear to have a good set-up and morale around the whole place (not just at this time) which SL is keen to implement (and has done ). I think we are going in the right direction.

I'm thinking about going in one of those Ice Chambers...I've read about the health benefits you can get from them. Body basically re-boots itself.

24 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I am quite anti stats.  Yes they can be useful but should never be relied upon.

As this demonstrates:

image.jpeg

It's all about beetroot now, Dave. And freezing yer knackers off after a game. Do keep up!

Archived