IGNORED

Wilbs

Bs4Red

Just interested in the general consensus for him next season?

Personally I don't like him and feel we kill our style of play when he plays and just go long, however I understand his "father" figure in the squad. My question would be, given I'm hoping we buy someone better than him. What is his role next season? 

For me I wouldn't want to see him playing at all but think a coach like role around the team would be great. 

Can see him doing some coaching, perhaps u21s with Wade.

No idea what his plans are outside of football but can see him in coaching/management.

I hope we buy an upgrade on him for next season, but can see him being used as a sub and in games that require game-management and a bit of experience.

If he's still regularly playing next season though, we've failed in this summers window.

6 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

The real question is why did City agree to add a clause in for another year dependant on appearances?....

I think City never thought he would play so much this season (because of expected summer signings) and the clause would never come into effect.

I guess he's on a good wage, what a waste of money if he has no part next season.

Loan him out, best option.

Why on earth would we loan him out?

4 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

The real question is why did City agree to add a clause in for another year dependant on appearances?....

I think City never thought he would play so much this season (because of expected summer signings) and the clause would never come into effect.

I guess he's on a good wage, what a waste of money if he has no part next season.

because he may of insisted on the clause in the contract, like it or night he played a vital role last season as well as this season, he deserve his year extension, he may not feature much next season but he has been a complete professional here and about as far from a "waste of money" as you can get,

He scored against preston earning us a point

2 against forest earning 3 points

against QPR earning a point 

opened the scoring against bolton (I won't count this one as they were poor)

Scored against blackburn earning a point

So without that waste of money we'd 6 points worst off9 if you fancy including bolton  

24 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Just interested in the general consensus for him next season?

Personally I don't like him and feel we kill our style of play when he plays and just go long, however I understand his "father" figure in the squad. My question would be, given I'm hoping we buy someone better than him. What is his role next season? 

For me I wouldn't want to see him playing at all but think a coach like role around the team would be great. 

Personally I think the highlighted part is a very strange comment to make, his goals and assists over the past season have been remarkable given his age, we know given that we WILL sign somebody younger and more mobile and Wilbs will be on the bench when needed.

His goals this season have been instrumental in keeping us up and more assists this season than Marlon Pack.

• Admin

For many parts at the start of the season Cotts continued to pick him even though he was struggling with a thigh strain, it was taking him longer and longer to recover from knocks received in games and as a result his all round game suffered badly

I'm glad he's got another year - as a bit part player he certainly has many uses and like many others in our squad has been more improved under LJ - if for no other reason than he was given time to recover and get fully fit !

I think he has shown that if used correctly he can still be an asset ie. Not being flogged to death by Cotterill at the beginning of the season. For a 36 year old to chip with approx. 10 goals having been in and out of the side is a cracking effort.

He should absolutely be a bit part player from now on - but I couldn't disagree more with people who say he hasn't earned his deal or that we should loan him out.

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

We have done very well out of Aaron these past two seasons, Thatch. He has earned his corn here by my reckoning. Those two years include promotion from and winning L1, then consolidation in the Championship. 21 goals last year, 8 this. And a great pro too, a leader on and off the pitch.

A waste of money is Adam el Abd or some of the crap from 2012/13.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

It's not like he hasn't contributed this season. I'm sure his playing role will be reduced next season, but he's still a useful player to have around and is clearly a good influence in be dressing room. Don't know what the problem is

There isn`t one.

Wilbs has more than repaid whatever it`s cost (and will continue to cost) us several times over.

6 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Think its a clever decision to add him on for a year. He is well experienced, a leader and still knows where the goal is.

Some have very short memories indeed, has been vital this season and even more the season we won the double.

Some people unfortunately think that once someone`s slightly past their best they should be thrown on the scrapheap - the `no sentiment in football` brigade. I like to think our club are better than that.

You wonder how they`d feel if they started to slow down a bit at work and were told `we`re replacing you with someone younger as you can`t pull your weight 100% of the time any more`. Boot would be on the other foot then I reckon.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Why on earth would we loan him out?

Exactly! 37 year old Club Captain loaned out. Not likely, but never say never. 

I can see the bloke doing some coaching badges, helping out with captain type duties and getting some game time on an as needed basis. 

A great signing for us and deserves his extension. 

There's more chance of Thatch35 making it through the season without having a moan than there is of Wilbs being loaned out.

We saw in the latter half of this season that if he's used correctly then he still has a decent part to play. It's also clear that he's a popular and respected figure in the dressing room, who the younger lads look up to.  

Used in some more 'physical' midweek games Wilbs does have his general use, but he's not a week in week out starter. I would imagine he's not on huge wages because of his age and seems like a big member of the squad in terms of leadership.

As others have said it wouldn't surprise me if he stays on with u21 after if he dosnt wanna continue playing 

Some of the younger players have said how much they have been influenced by him because he is still very fit at 36/37, he clearly knows how to keep himself in good condition so if he can pass on tips in that regard to the younger squad members he will more than earned his extra year. After all it was the fact that he was spending a good proportion of his holiday in Dubai keeping himself fit that influenced Cotts to sign him in the first place. For a free signing we have really had our moneys worth out of him.

2 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Now that was an over-rated player. I never understood why Torpey ever got in the team. As you can guess, I never rated him!

He was a good player up until he fractured his neck/skull? Understandably he was not the same player after that.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wilbrahams reminds me of Steve Torpey.

In that one of them cost us £400k but hardly scored a goal for us whereas the other was a free transfer who top scored with 21 last season, whilst captaining us to our first title in 60 years and is our second top scorer this season?

Almost identical, eh?

It is Wilbraham, by the way.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In that one of them cost us £400k but hardly scored a goal for us whereas the other was a free transfer who top scored with 21 last season, whilst captaining us to our first title in 60 years and is our second top scorer this season?

Almost identical, eh?

I said that Wilbrahams reminds me of Steve Torpey. I'm not comparing the two as players. 

Archived