IGNORED

Transfer Rumours - How to handle them on OTIB

Red Skin

How should OTIB handle Transfer rumours?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a moan about this last summer and this summer is likely to be busier than ever in terms of rumours, and hopefully in actual signings!

Personally, lumping everything in together winds me up no end and I find it a hassle to wade through every comment and spurious rumour to see what's going on with any one particular player.  So with this in mind I've put a poll together so see if there's a better way (or whether people care).   If there are other options I've missed let me know and I'll add them in as options.

Doesn't necessarily mean that anything will change, but for my own sanity at least I need to give it a go!!  You wouldn't believe I fancied myself as an anarchist at one point in my life with this carry on would you??!!!

(There used to be a preview button on here so hopefully I haven't screwed up the poll!)

• Admin

The advantage of having it in one place as admin it is a nightmare that there are 2/3 threads on the same topic, then they swerve onto something else that is already a thread

Personally I would prefer a seperate "sub section" with all transfer rumours within there - the topic title would be the players name and then go from there?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Personally I would prefer a seperate "sub section" with all transfer rumours within there - the topic title would be the players name and then go from there?

Would all posters use it tho?   :dunno:  

The more experienced posters might but I doubt everyone would. The attraction of the main forum is too great for those who would think that their rumour thread might be overlooked if it were in a sub-forum.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The more experienced posters might but I doubt everyone would. The attraction of the main forum is too great for those who would think that their rumour thread might be overlooked if it were in a sub-forum.

It often surprises me how busy the stadium sub forum is. I think people would.

I'd say try a sub forum this year, see how it goes. If people can't find it or it isn't busy have a rethink. I wouldn't have included a don't care option, if people don't care they just won't vote. 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You've proved experience means nothing. You still open threads titled with the names of ex players and complain it's about ex players.  Zzzzzz.

• Admin

One slight correction, last Summer as soon as a signing had a little bit more of a "known" source individual threads were left alone eg Lingard who didn't sign. But you need a big thread/bin for all the transferrumours.net suggestions surely where fans just go on and make shit up such as Aubamayang seen at Bristol airport, must be signing for City.

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It often surprises me how busy the stadium sub forum is. I think people would.

I'd say try a sub forum this year, see how it goes. If people can't find it or it isn't busy have a rethink. I wouldn't have included a don't care option, if people don't care they just won't vote. 

I'd probably like to see this given a go, as long as we can have a "Spurious Links" thread where we can filter the suggestions from all those 12 year old agents on Twitter and transferrumours.net. 

32 minutes ago, Big C said:

The transfer thread is already up to 50 replies and two pages and its only been running for a couple of hours. By 31st August it will become a monster and will consume the entire internet!

I reckon it could swallow CERN and find the God particle all by itself.....

What's annoying on one huge thread, is that if you look at it at say 10 am, and then again at say 1pm, in that time it could have grown by 10 pages. You then spend about 20 mins catching up, by which time you have another page or two. There's only so much time a day I can get away without doing work!!!!

Sub forum sounds a good idea with one thread per player. At least it's easier to follow what's going on. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Maybe, maybe not but it'll keep us moderators on our toes moving them

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A new category is needed for transfer rumours - "Comedy classics for the gullible"

Ah, the Sub - Sub Forum :) Rumours could be placed in the sub forum then transferred to the "Comedy classics for the gullible" once it has been proven as such.

It's a good point to bring up this one.

Personally I think a subforum is pointless and we have too many already.  There isn't going to be much else going on in the summer in the football forum other than whining about England's dismal Euros.

I'd say we had it about right last time - let the more solid rumours have their own thread and consign all the other garbage to one big transfer bollocks thread that I can ignore.

Like others have said, if we move transfers out of the main forum, what is there to discuss in the main forum in the summer? Rumours in one big thread, anything with any substance gets his own thread.

or/ a strict sub forum where each player gets his own thread and rumours, sightings and even his signing (!) stays in there. His thread and only his thread, no going off at a tangent eg 'a better midfielder would be' type threads.

44 minutes ago, RedM said:

Like others have said, if we move transfers out of the main forum, what is there to discuss in the main forum in the summer? Rumours in one big thread, anything with any substance gets his own thread.

or/ a strict sub forum where each player gets his own thread and rumours, sightings and even his signing (!) stays in there. His thread and only his thread, no going off at a tangent eg 'a better midfielder would be' type threads.

I like you second choice better.  If an individual player is subsequently signed (by anyone) then close the thread.  

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

It's a good point to bring up this one.

Personally I think a subforum is pointless and we have too many already.  There isn't going to be much else going on in the summer in the football forum other than whining about England's dismal Euros.  Fair point.

I'd say we had it about right last time - let the more solid rumours have their own thread and consign all the other garbage to one big transfer bollocks thread that I can ignore.  Not sure by what criteria a rumour becomes solid.  If each player has its own thread you can quickly gauge whether the transfer is getting more credible or not as you don't have to wade through lots of other noise including the (hilarous) Avon Gorge Hotel comment.  (It was funny the first 6 or so mentions though).

3 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Well, last year I just didn't wade through the big thread at all, I just ignored it.  It was a really convenient dumping ground for nonsense that effectively filtered it for me, so I only ever saw the ones that had substance and I think the mods got that largely right.  If we have a subforum or one thread per player I have to then wade through it all.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Well, last year I just didn't wade through the big thread at all, I just ignored it.  It was a really convenient dumping ground for nonsense that effectively filtered it for me, so I only ever saw the ones that had substance and I think the mods got that largely right.  If we have a subforum or one thread per player I have to then wade through it all.

Fair enough.  But for some players like Tomlin I really do want to know if he was spotted drinking a pint of cider or wearing a Gurt Lush T shirt.  Anything that gives me some hope he might sign no matter how sketchy this might be.  

Similarly, anything that hints someone like Flinty might be off.  Again, I'd be all over that.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Fair enough.  But for some players like Tomlin I really do want to know if he was spotted drinking a pint of cider or wearing a Gurt Lush T shirt.  Anything that gives me some hope he might sign no matter how sketchy this might be.  

Similarly, anything that hints someone like Flinty might be off.  Again, I'd be all over that.

...and those are two examples that I expect would/will remain in their own dedicated threads anyway. Even Kodjia who was pretty unknown kept his own thread because the source looked reputable (proper French journalist IIRC). The main things that get put into the bumper thread is the players we are linked with by the latest bored schoolboy pretending to be an agent on Twitter or the "we'll publish anything anyone submits" footballrumours.net (I know as they have linked City with signing me in the past and I'm a worse fooballer than Ian Baird!)

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Like others have said, if we move transfers out of the main forum, what is there to discuss in the main forum in the summer? 

Fair point actually. Just leave it as a thread per player or something, and lump the multiple posts about them all together.

That big thread was just a nuisance.

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

...and those are two examples that I expect would/will remain in their own dedicated threads anyway. Even Kodjia who was pretty unknown kept his own thread because the source looked reputable (proper French journalist IIRC). The main things that get put into the bumper thread is the players we are linked with by the latest bored schoolboy pretending to be an agent on Twitter or the "we'll publish anything anyone submits" footballrumours.net (I know as they have linked City with signing me in the past and I'm a worse fooballer than Ian Baird!)

But probably still better than Tony Dinning.

Archived