IGNORED

Transfer Rumours - How to handle them on OTIB

Red Skin

How should OTIB handle Transfer rumours?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

I might be creating some extra work for the mod/admins here but how about adding sources to a thread title? Would that allow spurious links to drop down the page?

eg:

"Henri Lansbury Thread. Sources: HITC"

"Zlatan Ibrahimovic Thread. Sources: @Agent54 on Twitter"

If extra credibility emerges further down the line we can change the thread title easily enough to reflect that.

Might help people filter what to read or not.

Well, except @Robbored, who still enters threads clearly titled to be about former players and realises they don't interest him & has to tell us all that.

NB We have not (yet) been linked with Zlatan to the best of my knowledge.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Well, except @Robbored, who still enters threads clearly titled to be about former players and realises they don't interest him & has to tell us all that.

How about zzzzzzz sub forum?

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

I might be creating some extra work for the mod/admins here but how about adding sources to a thread title? Would that allow spurious links to drop down the page?

eg:

"Henri Lansbury Thread. Sources: HITC"

"Zlatan Ibrahimovic Thread. Sources: @Agent54 on Twitter"

If extra credibility emerges further down the line we can change the thread title easily enough to reflect that.

Might help people filter what to read or not.

I like that idea if the mods/admins are happy to do it. 

I also like the sub forum idea, but think if the player signs then it would be worth moving that thread/copying it(perhaps, if possible) to the main forum.

7 hours ago, City169 said:

I like that idea if the mods/admins are happy to do it. 

I also like the sub forum idea, but think if the player signs then it would be worth moving that thread/copying it(perhaps, if possible) to the main forum.

Or alternatively lock and pin the player thread on the transfer sub forum?  Maybe change the thread title to 'Lee Tomlin - Signed'. :fingerscrossed:

9 hours ago, Taz said:

That big thread was just a nuisance.

The one big thread also means that it make the point of a 'forum' largely irrelevant if everyone is largely checking out the same thread. May as well just use Twitter or Facebook.

With each player having his own thread (whether in a sub forum or not)

• You can be more discerning and ignore the 'Sign Messi' threads 
  • You can ignore the thread starter if they have 'form' for posting dross.
  • You can see the story unfold for that player,
  • You can spot new rumours as new threads,
  • The chatter/interest will naturally pull that player's thread to page one so irrelevant stuff will quickly drop down to later pages. 
  • New developments bump threads back to page one.

All these points are precisely what a forum is good at and you lose all that with a single thread.  

The all in one thread was a proposal that was adopted but loses all this richness.  Why not just have a Bristol City thread if that's the perceived wisdom?

17 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

I had a moan about this last summer and this summer is likely to be busier than ever in terms of rumours, and hopefully in actual signings!

Personally, lumping everything in together winds me up no end and I find it a hassle to wade through every comment and spurious rumour to see what's going on with any one particular player.  So with this in mind I've put a poll together so see if there's a better way (or whether people care).   If there are other options I've missed let me know and I'll add them in as options.

Doesn't necessarily mean that anything will change, but for my own sanity at least I need to give it a go!!  You wouldn't believe I fancied myself as an anarchist at one point in my life with this carry on would you??!!!

(There used to be a preview button on here so hopefully I haven't screwed up the poll!)

From anarchist to analist. :blink:

Why not simplify the issue by creating a "rumours" sub forum?  

Then, if users want to see any rumours ( ridiculous or not ) they simply  look in there.......

I haven't scrolled through this entire thread so this may have been suggested already. If it has its a dam good idea........:whistle:

25 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Or alternatively lock and pin the player thread on the transfer sub forum?  Maybe change the thread title to 'Lee Tomlin - Signed'. :fingerscrossed:

I think once the player has signed it is of course a totally different thread. Sometimes I read the rumours and I think he sounds good/bad and then it all gets lost and muddled as other players are compared etc. Some good information and opinion becomes more relovant when the player signs but is unfortunately often lost early in a massive thread. I find it hard to search through sometimes to find these posts.

Please can we have a pun and  word association sub-forum where people can post sentences which include, for instance, the name of a cheese or a biscuit. For example: 

Poster 1 "Apparently we're interested in signing Rhodri Morgan. He's a Welsh international goalkeeper who was born in Caerphilly"

Poster 2 "But he only lived there Briefly (see what I did there?)"

Poster 3 "Wasn't he once coached by Peter Stilton?"

Poster 4 "I'd rather we sign Cheddar Evans"

Poster 5 "Actually he has dual nationality because his dad was born in Nice"

Poster 2 "Crumbs"

Poster 3 "We'd be crackers not to sign him"

Poster 1 "Ah. he's just signed for Bury"

Poster 2 "Well, he is a future international (see what I did there?)"

You know who you are Poster 2. I understand that it's tempting for you to leap upon every opportunity to pun especially during the summer months when there's less City news to dissect on OTIB but last year, the reason why the transfer thread became so very large and unappealing was that posters took it off at tangents making it a chore to wade through. Please this year, show some restraint Poster 2!

Poster 2 "What chores? I'll have a pint of Thatchers (see what I did there?)

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why not simplify the issue by creating a "rumours" sub forum?  

Then, if users want to see any rumours ( ridiculous or not ) they simply  look in there.......

I haven't scrolled through this entire thread so this may have been suggested already. If it has its a dam good idea........:whistle:

A rumours/transfer sub forum was the intention, mate.   Create a thread for said player when rumour first starts and follow it through to player eventually signing and whole torturous and often tedious journey in between.  

48 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

A rumours/transfer sub forum was the intention, mate.   Create a thread for said player when rumour first starts and follow it through to player eventually signing and whole torturous and often tedious journey in between.  

Ha! That's what happens when you don't read throughout the entire thread.....obviously,someone else had thought of my great idea before me........:P

Speaking of transfers, I see Newcastle released Sylvan marveaux and Gabriel obertan. Not so much obertan who is a waster but marveaux would be a good addition to our French contingent. From what I have seen of him, he has quality. Why he hasn't been played I have no clue but potentially another that could provide us with that something extra. Always nice to provide a compatriot for our Jimmy too

So mods/admin looks like a majority of the electorate that turned out to vote would like some sort of change from last year.  Do we go with this?  Thoughts?  I guess you are the ones that"ll need to set up things and police them.

On 05/05/2016 at 19:10, ciderbeans said:
On 05/05/2016 at 23:45, Red Army Faction said:

So mods/admin looks like a majority of the electorate that turned out to vote would like some sort of change from last year.  Do we go with this?  Thoughts?  I guess you are the ones that"ll need to set up things and police them.

@RedM @phantom @Dollymarie What do you reckon?

Archived