IGNORED

New Bristol Mayor / BCFC

CotswoldRed

6 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Arsenal

FFS.  I heard he's a "local lad".  Bloody typical.

"So, Mr Mayor, why did you choose to support the successful Premier League club over and above your local team?"

Seems he started wanting to be popular quite early then.  Helpful if you want to win elections I suppose.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

FFS.  I heard he's a "local lad".  Bloody typical.

"So, Mr Mayor, why did you choose to support the successful Premier League club over and above your local team?"

Seems he started wanting to be popular quite early then.  Helpful if you want to win elections I suppose.

This !!

Place of Birth ?        "Proud Bristolian, born and Bred"

Football Team ?      "Arsenal"   :facepalm:   (More respect if the answer had been the 15)

By coincidence, Arsenal is also C****byn's team, I believe ?!

I don't live in Bristol anymore, but have always had a low opinion of the City's politicians.  Not quite old enough to remember how badly they dealt with Brunel _ but that tells you everything about lack of wits.

How any Bristolian can support Arsenal is totally and utterly beyond my comprehension.

Best we can hope for is that he keeps as far away from Ashton Gate as possible!

47 minutes ago, Malago said:

He's a Corbynite, so probably wishes he lived in Islington.

He's not remotely a Corbynite, also seeing as he is from Greenbank he's pretty unlikely to be a City fan, is he?

The Dolman is not exactly heaving with black guys from East Bristol..

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He's not remotely a Corbynite, also seeing as he is from Greenbank he's pretty unlikely to be a City fan, is he?

The Dolman is not exactly heaving with black guys from East Bristol..

Really.  So why did Jezza rush to congratulate him and ignore Sadiq Khan's success.

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

Really.  So why did Jezza rush to congratulate him and ignore Sadiq Khan's success.

Is that how you base the fact that he is a "Corbynite"

Makes no difference anyway, it won't be long before he is vilified and ridiculed like GF was, if he wants to get the public on his side the first thing he should do is reverse many of the "anti-car" policies GF bought in as it seems that was the main reason  the result was such a landslide 

16 minutes ago, Malago said:

Speaking as a party member, he's regarded as pretty middle of the road Labour. Sadiq Khan is a true Blairite, and Jeremy Corbyn is on the left, in case you didn't know. 

According to various political commentators Red Trousers was the most powerful independent politician in the UK as Mayor. 

This "power"'will mean nothing now as Marvin will be neutered by the party system, as much as that pains me as I voted for him not the politics. 

His intentions will be there and some nuggets may shine through but I'm not too confident. Corbyn definitely has his power base in the provinces not in London hence his rushing to congratulate Marvin. 

25 minutes ago, harrys said:

Is that how you base the fact that he is a "Corbynite"

Makes no difference anyway, it won't be long before he is vilified and ridiculed like GF was, if he wants to get the public on his side the first thing he should do is reverse many of the "anti-car" policies GF bought in as it seems that was the main reason  the result was such a landslide 

And yet on RPZ's he has no policy except to put on hold any yet to be implemented (on hold, not revoke) and to consult. Not good enough for me, in the run up to an election it's unacceptable to not have a policy on it. 

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

And yet on RPZ's he has no policy except to put on hold any yet to be implemented (on hold, not revoke) and to consult. Not good enough for me, in the run up to an election it's unacceptable to not have a policy on it. 

• Not roll out any RPZs or 20mph zones unless communities and businesses, working through their Neighbourhood Partnerships, make an explicit request.
  • Freeze the cost of RPZ permits until 2020.
  • Ask all councillors to work with their Neighbourhood Partnerships to undertake a review of RPZs and 20mph zones in their areas and make recommendations on how they can be made to work.
  • Scrap the ban on Blue Badge Holders parking in RPZ bays and remove the charge for permits used by health and social care and other essential workers
  • Extend free parking in RPZ areas to one hour to support our local high streets and pilot discounted day passes for small local businesses.

Sounds like a few policies on RPZs to me?

48 minutes ago, Malago said:

Because Khan didn't really want him around

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:
  • Not roll out any RPZs or 20mph zones unless communities and businesses, working through their Neighbourhood Partnerships, make an explicit request.
  • Freeze the cost of RPZ permits until 2020.
  • Ask all councillors to work with their Neighbourhood Partnerships to undertake a review of RPZs and 20mph zones in their areas and make recommendations on how they can be made to work.
  • Scrap the ban on Blue Badge Holders parking in RPZ bays and remove the charge for permits used by health and social care and other essential workers
  • Extend free parking in RPZ areas to one hour to support our local high streets and pilot discounted day passes for small local businesses.

Sounds like a few policies on RPZs to me?

Undertake a review of all existing. Sounds like no policy to me in the very main on the salient point. The rest; freeze prices, remove some charges, all points actually to they are going to stay. If he's consulting why freeze prices for 5 years? Oh yes, it's a soundbite. 

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Undertake a review of all existing. Sounds like no policy to me in the very main on the salient point. The rest; freeze prices, remove some charges, all points actually to they are going to stay. 

Come on. If he said he'd ditch them there'd be "Typical labour rushing in heavy handed" or whatever. He's said he'll stop any more until he has reviewed how well they're working, and make decisions from there - sounds personally reasonable to me.

No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

edit: and yes they will probably stay, pretty much every city in the country has them so it's not really surprising. Bristol has for years in fact.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Come on. If he said he'd ditch them there'd be "Typical labour rushing in heavy handed" or whatever. He's said he'll stop any more until he has reviewed how well they're working, and make decisions from there - sounds personally reasonable to me.

No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But the five year price freeze... Why five years if he's consulting? Why not 24m or until 6 months after the consultation when a decision on their future has been made? Well, because it doesn't sound as good.

As for rushing in heavy handed, yeah do it. That's the mandate people elect you on. When you run up to an election you should be canvassing, getting opinion and forming a policy based upon what you're hearing and what you think to be best. My point is he should have 'consulted' already and should have framed a view on something so fundamental to many voters. 

To not have formed an opinion already is a cop out to me. He's had a long time to prepare and a long time to canvass on their implementation. Like them or loath them is preferable to 'I'll see later' 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

But the five year price freeze... Why five years if he's consulting? Why not 24m or until 6 months after the consultation when a decision on their future has been made? Well, because it doesn't sound as good.

As for rushing in heavy handed, yeah do it. That's the mandate people elect you on. When you run up to an election you should be canvassing, getting opinion and forming a policy based upon what you're hearing and what you think to be best. My point is he should have 'consulted' already and should have framed a view. 

He has a view/policy he campaigned on and people voted for him based off that.

It just sounds like it's just not one you agree with.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

He has a view/policy he campaigned on and people voted for him based off that.

It just sounds like it's just not one you agree with.

That's what vexes me. I can't agree because I don't know if I'm agreeing with someone for or against them. My disagreement comes from it being reasonable to base a campaign on 'I'll chat about it'. 

58 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

At least he's a politician who can remember who he supports.......

Unlike the one who supports West Aston Ham Villa United......

Unless he comes out tomorrow, apologising, saying he meant Man U. 

Archived