IGNORED

Poor scenes at West Ham

55 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

In what episode did Del Boy say he was Chelsea? I thought Del was Millwall? I know Rodney has said in more than one episode he's a Chelsea fan. Also where did Grandad say he was a Palace fan and Uncle Albert say he was a Millwall fan? I know about their father and mother though!

This topic is going random.

This might help - http://www.ofah.net/blog/trotters-loved-football/

Who gives a shit about West Ham moving ground?  Upton Park was a dump.  The whole area is a dump.  Who really cares?  If ManUre moved from Old Trafford, that would be a story - they've won a few things in their time.  What have West Spam done?  Sweet FA - oh but they did win us the World Cup.  C**ts.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Who gives a shit about West Ham moving ground?  Upton Park was a dump.  The whole area is a dump.  Who really cares?  If ManUre moved from Old Trafford, that would be a story - they've won a few things in their time.  What have West Spam done?  Sweet FA - oh but they did win us the World Cup.  C**ts.

@SecretSam - I would piss myself if you have a set of seats from the Eastend as a momento in your garden....

2 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

I've had some Interesting Times at the Boleyn Ground / Upton Park / East Ham / West Ham. Some of us have got a bit sentimental about the East End being knocked down. Imagine AG itself being demolished?

I have imagined that.  When we decided to stay put it was wonderful (if only from an emotional perspective).

2 hours ago, RedM said:

.........I would be well embarrassed if I was a WHamfan in a ManU kit for a ,day.

....ahh, you cant fool us M , we all know you'd do anything for Mr Ridgeley if he asked, cos he's your man, and when free drinks are flowing down the club you can be more than embarassing ... admit it. :)

4 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

I've had some Interesting Times at the Boleyn Ground / Upton Park / East Ham / West Ham. Some of us have got a bit sentimental about the East End being knocked down. Imagine AG itself being demolished?

Half of it has been of course, but the crucial thing is we've remained on our historic footprint. Next to the park, same familiar surroundings etc.

Total obliteration would have been extremely hard to take, doubly compounded by seeing a huge Sainsburys rising on the site instead.

It wouldn't just have been emotional on the last day, the replacement buildings and tarmac would have have stood as a depressing reminder of what we'd lost forever.

As someone always in favour of staying at AG I'm delighted we ended up redeveloping the old ground rather than moving, the best of all worlds imo.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Half of it has been of course, but the crucial thing is we've remained on our historic footprint. Next to the park, same familiar surroundings etc.

Total obliteration would have been extremely hard to take, doubly compounded by seeing a huge Sainsburys rising on the site instead.

It wouldn't just have been emotional on the last day, the replacement buildings and tarmac would have have stood as a depressing reminder of what we'd lost forever.

As someone always in favour of staying at AG I'm delighted we ended up redeveloping the old ground rather than moving, the best of all worlds imo.

There was a tear in my eye when the bulldozers moved in at Eastville - it was part of my youth. Back in the day, many used to go to both grounds Saturday on Saturday, while still supporting their own club. Young'uns won't believe this, but the football was once a cheap day out.

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

There was a tear in my eye when the bulldozers moved in at Eastville - it was part of my youth. Back in the day, many used to go to both grounds Saturday on Saturday, while still supporting their own club. Young'uns won't believe this, but the football was once a cheap day out.

Perhaps it was an allergy ? 

Eamonn Holmes is not the brightest.

The news anchor was discussing the attack by West Ham fans on the players’ bus on Sky News when he said: “This is going back to the 70s and to the 80s, the type of thing you were seeing that was bad about Hillsborough, for instance.”

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

I think you're 10/15 years older than me Aiz. and the period of fans going regularly to both grounds was more or less over by my youth. It was very much City OR Rovers by then.

I did go to Eastville occasionally apart from when City were there - The Watney Cup Final, Man. Utd, Ipswich and Southampton in the Cup, and a few others - but It was invariably on the open end with the away fans and always wanting the visitors to win.

I can't pretend I had any love for Eastville so couldn't be sentimental about it's demise, but of course I do understand the general sentiment involved in familiar places of our youth changing or disappearing forever.

Have a look at Bristol Then and Now sometime if you don't know it already, it's  a great site, if a bit depressing.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think you're 10/15 years older than me Aiz. and the period of fans going regularly to both grounds was more or less over by my youth. It was very much City OR Rovers by then.

I did go to Eastville occasionally apart from when City were there - The Watney Cup Final, Man. Utd, Ipswich and Southampton in the Cup, and a few others - but It was invariably on the open end with the away fans and always wanting the visitors to win.

I can't pretend I had any love for Eastville so couldn't be sentimental about it's demise, but of course I do understand the general sentiment involved in familiar places of our youth changing or disappearing forever.

Have a look at Bristol Then and Now sometime if you don't know it already, it's  a great site, if a bit depressing.

A favourite of mine when I want to wallow in nostalgia, Noggers :noexp:

Mind you, even nostalgia isn't what it was :(

14 minutes ago, Super said:

The news anchor was discussing the attack by West Ham fans on the players’ bus on Sky News when he said: “This is going back to the 70s and to the 80s, the type of thing you were seeing that was bad about Hillsborough, for instance.”

EH said that? ....unbelievable cretin, its his job to engage the brain before opening his big fat smug mouth,  .... hope a sincere apology follows that.

23 minutes ago, Super said:

What a bell end! :facepalm:

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Severe case of Foot in Mouth disease.

47 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Yes indeed. My old man was City through and through, but he'd watched the occasional game there.

The lyrics of the 1960s Wurzels song "Virtue Et Industrial" give us a window to that bygone age: "If the City don't win Saturday, p'raps the Rovers will...".

51 minutes ago, Super said:

He has the habit of having a "Ron Burgundy Moment" so he does.

Very poor form Eamonn. 

4 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

In what episode did Del Boy say he was Chelsea? I thought Del was Millwall? I know Rodney has said in more than one episode he's a Chelsea fan. Also where did Grandad say he was a Palace fan and Uncle Albert say he was a Millwall fan? I know about their father and mother though!

This topic is going random.

In one episode there is definitely a Palace scarf hanging up in their hallway by the front door...

Archived