IGNORED

Poor scenes at West Ham

5 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

How the Americans reported it -

After a real long time, it’s time for Westside Hammers to say good bye to their real old soccer stadium.

Older than the Queen of Britain, Uptown Park Bowling Ground opens up its bleachers one last time for the game against the Manchester Unity. After that, centuries of historic soccer history will be smashed up by a bunch of wrecking ball operators and the franchise will go some place new.

But what will soccer fans of the West London based franchise remember about this place? I took a closer look.

Pablo Di Canio’s real nice no-bouncer

Way back in the 2000s, the referee hatin' Italian soccer player scored one of the awesomest goalshot in EPL League history, kicking in a soccer ball real nice against tennis-named franchise Wimbledon.

Swindon Town Press Conference to annouce Paolo Di Canio as their New Manager

Pablo became a the Hammer’s MVP over the years before getting bored and going to the Charleston Atheltes when he was real old.

Jonathan Spector

Of all the guys that have laced up their cleats and done soccer at the Uptown Park Bowling Ground down the years, most Westside Hammers fans will agree that one guy was way better than the rest.

USA v Brazil - FIFA Confederations Cup Final

Making Pablo Di Canio and the rest of the guys look like a bunch of dumbass fat kids that can’t even make it through gym class without getting real sick, former USMNT star Spector was a hero of the guys down at the Tool Shack.

The Chicken Shack

The bleachers in the east side of the stadium were once known as the Chicken Shack, named after the humongous fried chicken restaurant that fans could go get some food from if they got the munchies during the game.

KFC To Stop Using Trans Fats

England Soccer Club won the World Cup

Back in the summer of '69, a Three Lines side made entirely of Westside Hammers soccer players became World Cup world champions of the world, beating Doucheland 4-2 at the Uptown Park Bowling Ground.

As a result, a statue of some of the guys that played soccer that day still stands outside the stadium.

Bryan Robson

Michael Jackson's statue

Although the Prince of Pop was more bothered about climbing trees and stuff than he was about soccer, a statue of him once famously stood outside the Uptown Park Bowling Ground.

Fulham v Blackpool - Premier League

To be honest, nobody knows why. Maybe it had something to do with that song the Westside Hammers fans sing about MJ's pet monkey.

The MJ statue was outside Craven Cottage not West Ham...

54 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

A bit of this do you for a wallow Aiz? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZeAzZASU0 

(the bloke who put this up on YouTube has a lot of local ' then & nows ' on the site)

OMG :o And that doesn't show the worst of it around Lewin's Mead :( I was drinking in a lovely old pub round the back of there when the cliché really happened - "Drink up, lads, it's on the house.They're demolishing it on Monday".

Why we ever employed Hermann Goering as Chief Planning Officer, I shall never know. 

The one that has improved is College Green, but that's just from repairing the damage the Council did when it ripped up all the trees and levelled the space so we could see the lovely Count's Louse.

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

There was a tear in my eye when the bulldozers moved in at Eastville - it was part of my youth. Back in the day, many used to go to both grounds Saturday on Saturday, while still supporting their own club. Young'uns won't believe this, but the football was once a cheap day out.

Same here. Nearly all my mates were Rovers fans. Had no problems cheering them on unless of course they were playing us. Lots of fans used to do it, not saying it was the norm but still significant numbers did.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I always knew it as The Boleyn Ground from the late seventies....there isn't a stadium called Upton Park

Correct, although that hasn't stopped fans, for years, calling it Upton Park.  Highbury wasn't called Highbury either!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/west-ham/72445/upton-park-or-boleyn-ground-the-story-of-west-hams-home

4 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Same here. Nearly all my mates were Rovers fans. Had no problems cheering them on unless of course they were playing us. Lots of fans used to do it, not saying it was the norm but still significant numbers did.

My Dad met my Mum at Eastville when him and his mates went to watch Rovers as City's away game was called off!

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Correct, although that hasn't stopped fans, for years, calling it Upton Park.  Highbury wasn't called Highbury either!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/west-ham/72445/upton-park-or-boleyn-ground-the-story-of-west-hams-home

Spot on - for some reason fans had been incorrectly calling West Ham's and Arsenal's old grounds by the areas in which they were situated, not by the actual stadium name.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - for some reason fans had been incorrectly calling West Ham's and Arsenal's old grounds by the areas in which they were situated, not by the actual stadium name.

On Talksport this morning the Moose who is a Hammers fan said "At Upton Park last night West Ham beat Man Utd 3-2 in the final game at the Boleyn Ground"!  You can't win!!

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not by many Hammers fans in my lifetime.  And the only reason they now are is through some guilt complex about leaving.

The pub after which it was named was called the Boleyn. Never had a problem drinking there, but then I was never an eejit.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not by many Hammers fans in my lifetime.  And the only reason they now are is through some guilt complex about leaving.

We'll have to agree to differ - the Hammers fans I work with say they are going to 'The Boleyn' not Upton Park.

Anyway, it's just one of those footballing anomalies, difficult to explain why it ever came about!

41 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The MJ statue was outside Craven Cottage not West Ham...

On the basis that is the only error you spotted in the article I assume you moonlight as a proof reader for the Evening Post?

25 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

On Talksport this morning the Moose who is a Hammers fan said "At Upton Park last night West Ham beat Man Utd 3-2 in the final game at the Boleyn Ground"!  You can't win!!

Speaking of Talksport just read this from Adrian Durham about last nights game. He's a joke.

On the pitch it seemed to be perfect. That is until you highlight West Ham players falling over for no reason and getting cheap free kicks – Aaron Cresswell for the winning goal for example; Mark Noble twice after that to waste a bit of time.

Not everything went West Ham’s way of course, but after a first half Hammers goal was ruled out the officials were made well aware that the crowd were baying for a home win.

The nonsense outside the ground forced the ref to delay kick off and commanded ‘common sense’ refereeing – and I’m being diplomatic with that wording.

Listen, I’d seen Mike Dean referee like a rabbit in the headlights in a massive game at Middlesbrough on Saturday; he was like a quivering wreck of a rabbit at Upton Park midweek. Any ref would have been, knowing what had happened outside.

For all those reasons the game should be replayed behind closed doors at a neutral venue. The whole night stopped being about the fairness and integrity of the Premier League. It became about intimidation of opposition and officials. 

I used to love Upton Park, but walking past police vans and debris, smelling fear and violence in the East London air, I realised it really was time to move on.

I hope for the sake of honest decent people like Karren Brady and so many others who work at West Ham United Football Club, that the disgraceful minority element of their fanbase don’t move on to the new stadium with them.

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

A favourite of mine when I want to wallow in nostalgia, Noggers :noexp:

Mind you, even nostalgia isn't what it was :(

You feeling nostalgic about nostalgia?

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our own stadium was named after the area it's situated in, but then I suppose it's always been known as that. Apart from the City Ground and Ashton Gate has the stadium ever been known by any other name?

6 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

How the Americans reported it -

After a real long time, it’s time for Westside Hammers to say good bye to their real old soccer stadium.

Older than the Queen of Britain, Uptown Park Bowling Ground opens up its bleachers one last time for the game against the Manchester Unity. After that, centuries of historic soccer history will be smashed up by a bunch of wrecking ball operators and the franchise will go some place new.

But what will soccer fans of the West London based franchise remember about this place? I took a closer look.

Pablo Di Canio’s real nice no-bouncer

Way back in the 2000s, the referee hatin' Italian soccer player scored one of the awesomest goalshot in EPL League history, kicking in a soccer ball real nice against tennis-named franchise Wimbledon.

Swindon Town Press Conference to annouce Paolo Di Canio as their New Manager

Pablo became a the Hammer’s MVP over the years before getting bored and going to the Charleston Atheltes when he was real old.

Jonathan Spector

Of all the guys that have laced up their cleats and done soccer at the Uptown Park Bowling Ground down the years, most Westside Hammers fans will agree that one guy was way better than the rest.

USA v Brazil - FIFA Confederations Cup Final

Making Pablo Di Canio and the rest of the guys look like a bunch of dumbass fat kids that can’t even make it through gym class without getting real sick, former USMNT star Spector was a hero of the guys down at the Tool Shack.

The Chicken Shack

The bleachers in the east side of the stadium were once known as the Chicken Shack, named after the humongous fried chicken restaurant that fans could go get some food from if they got the munchies during the game.

KFC To Stop Using Trans Fats

England Soccer Club won the World Cup

Back in the summer of '69, a Three Lines side made entirely of Westside Hammers soccer players became World Cup world champions of the world, beating Doucheland 4-2 at the Uptown Park Bowling Ground.

As a result, a statue of some of the guys that played soccer that day still stands outside the stadium.

Bryan Robson

Michael Jackson's statue

Although the Prince of Pop was more bothered about climbing trees and stuff than he was about soccer, a statue of him once famously stood outside the Uptown Park Bowling Ground.

Fulham v Blackpool - Premier League

To be honest, nobody knows why. Maybe it had something to do with that song the Westside Hammers fans sing about MJ's pet monkey.

What a load of Yankee rubbish!

2 hours ago, Aizoon said:

There was a tear in my eye when the bulldozers moved in at Eastville - it was part of my youth. Back in the day, many used to go to both grounds Saturday on Saturday, while still supporting their own club. Young'uns won't believe this, but the football was once a cheap day out.

Quite right Aiz, Me and my mates, all City fans used to do the same,  as couldn't afford to go to away games in" them days"   I was only bringing home £2.10 shillings a week then,  was only an apprentice.  Still used to enjoy watching both teams, but City first and foremost and have always been, never even went to see Cardiff when I lived there for 13 years. I tell a lie, only when City played them. 

Scenes from East London: proof that violent, mindless moronism is still there just below the surface.

I really hope the FA give West Ham a massive fine.

Also great to see the Man U players cowering in the coach, but laughing about it, and filming it on their phones.

All makes you proud to be 1) a football fan 2) British.

:facepalm:

"Scuffers".

Uncle TFR

Archived