IGNORED

retour-a-la-ligue-2

ExiledAjax

After the success this season of everyone's favourite bandaged Ligue 2 import does anyone know of anyone that may be able to emulate him?  I don't follow French 2nd division football but I've done some Mickey Mouse scouting by looking up the Ligue 2 team of the year, which is as follows:

GK France Baptiste Reynet Dijon
DF French Guiana Simon Falette Brest
DF France Julien Cétout Nancy
DF France Christopher Jullien Dijon
DF France Clément Lenglet Nancy
CM France Frédéric Sammaritano Dijon
CM France Naïm Sliti Red Star
CM France Yeni Ngbakoto Metz
FW France Loïs Diony Dijon
FW Senegal Famara Diedhiou Clermont Foot
FW Algeria Hameur Bouazza Red Sta

I recognise Bouazza (31 apparently) from his days in England but I have no idea who the rest are.

Quick looks at the wiki pages make me think the following three may be interesting*:

Christopher Jullien - 23, 6'5" CB. This season 28 apps and 7 goals on loan at Dijon from Freiburg II.  Given his size could he be a replacement for Baker? In black in this picture.

2230832.jpeg

Julien Cetout - Plays at Nancy in CM. 28, 6' tall.  Not a prolific goalscorer but might bring a little bit of experience to the squad?  Although I actually think we should be looking for a CM who is late 20's and has at least 3 seasons in the championship under his belt.

Famara Diedhiou - 23, 6'4" FW. This season 34 apps 21 goals.  Senegalese striker who joined Sochaux in 2014 and this season was on loan at Clermont; he may not have long left on his Sochaux contract. A new Wilbraham? Here he is scoring all sorts of goals.

*I haven never seen any of this lot play and have no idea if any of them are any good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I recommend using Transfermarkt for this type of thing, as their stats are usually pretty spot on.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Have a look at the second divisions across Italy, Spain, Germany, and France. There are a number of players with 20+ goals this season, under 23 years old, and valued under or around £3m.

It's worth noting that Championship teams have been poaching from second division teams for years now, so I think a couple of these names will be on English soil next season. If we're casting our net wide this season I'd like to see some business done sooner rather than later.

25 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I recommend using Transfermarkt for this type of thing, as their stats are usually pretty spot on.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Have a look at the second divisions across Italy, Spain, Germany, and France. There are a number of players with 20+ goals this season, under 23 years old, and valued under or around £3m.

It's worth noting that Championship teams have been poaching from second division teams for years now, so I think a couple of these names will be on English soil next season. If we're casting our net wide this season I'd like to see some business done sooner rather than later.

I know that given these guys are in the team of the season they are very much the obvious players in Ligue 2.

transfermarket reckon £750K for Jullien and £1.3m for Diedhou (had JK at £1.5m last season).  These guys are absolutely within our price range.  I really hope the club are at the very least going to them and showing them how JK has got on this season, demonstrating that we are a club at which they can be successful.

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Jullien is an absolute beast. Hopefully Freiburg don't want him back and his newly promoted team can't afford the transfer. He'd be excellent. We've all watched the Diedhiou videos and he looks good. 

This is the kind of information I need from my scouts.  Excellent report.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

There are also gems to be had in the lower echelons of ligue 1, this guy Yannis Salibur for one at Guingamp.

He's also from exactly the same place (Saint Denis) as Le Kodge, if we are looking to bring another French guy over then stuff like this is going to make him settle in much quicker than Jonathan did..

22 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Jullien is an absolute beast. Hopefully Freiburg don't want him back and his newly promoted team can't afford the transfer. He'd be excellent. We've all watched the Diedhiou videos and he looks good. 

As an (interesting :shifty: ?) aside, do you have any idea as to who is SC Freiburg's all-time leading goalscorer?

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He's also from exactly the same place (Saint Denis) as Le Kodge, if we are looking to bring another French guy over then stuff like this is going to make him settle in much quicker than Jonathan did..

In addition, it might help Jonathan to sleep better as they could simply chat to each other face-to-face, rather than on Facebook etc.

32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I do now. Interesting.

Had to google it, would never have guessed that

Slightly off topic, did Red Star get promoted, does anyone know? Famous old club, BBC done a piece on them not so long back - would love to see them become Kings of Paris again, knock aside PSG

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Had to google it, would never have guessed that

Slightly off topic, did Red Star get promoted, does anyone know? Famous old club, BBC done a piece on them not so long back - would love to see them become Kings of Paris again, knock aside PSG

No.

Unfortunately, the club founded by Jules Rimet, he of World Cup fame, is destined to finish just outside of the promotion places.

Nevertheless, not a bad effort given all the problems they have had with their finances and (lack of) stadium.  

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

No.

Unfortunately, the club founded by Jules Rimet, he of World Cup fame, is destined to finish just outside of the promotion places.

Nevertheless, not a bad effort given all the problems they have had with their finances and (lack of) stadium.  

Ok. New plan: Let's not buy any Red Star players.  

Let's give them the best opportunity of getting into Ligue 1 next year by grabbing all the best players from their rivals instead.

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

No.

Thanks Phil, I did have a quick look at the league after reading the report and thought it might be a little tricky for them. Love seeing a famous old name like that coming back, will keep more of an eye on them from now on

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok. New plan: Let's not buy any Red Star players.  

Let's give them the best opportunity of getting into Ligue 1 next year by grabbing all the best players from their rivals instead.

I'm bang up for that, Ajax! **** the rest of Ligue 2, and **** Feyenoord - as one very drunk Ajax fan kept telling me one drunken night in Magaluf many a year ago. He really didn't like them....!!

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Thanks Phil, I did have a quick look at the league after reading the report and thought it might be a little tricky for them. Love seeing a famous old name like that coming back, will keep more of an eye on them from now on

In fact, they (used to) play in St Ouen, just next door to St Denis, from where JK originates.

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm bang up for that, Ajax! **** the rest of Ligue 2, and **** Feyenoord - as one very drunk Ajax fan kept telling me one drunken night in Magaluf many a year ago. He really didn't like them....!!

I'm also going to start pestering the board for a pre-season friendly between our club and Red Star.  The board always listen when the majority (that's me and you @Woodsy) of fans want a pre-season friendly against a small continental club and so I'm sure this will happen very soon.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In fact, they (used to) play in St Ouen, just next door to St Denis, from where JK originates.

The link grows stronger! I'm sure no one wants to hear about my holiday fling with a young lady from St Denis in Majorca in 89 again, but that gives me another reason to support Red Star
She was bang tidy though.....

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm also going to start pestering the board for a pre-season friendly between our club and Red Star.  The board always listen when the majority (that's me and you @Woodsy) of fans want a pre-season friendly against a small continental club and so I'm sure this will happen very soon.

That's settled then, what date is the game? Get things done around here we do mate.....

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

After the success this season of everyone's favourite bandaged Ligue 2 import does anyone know of anyone that may be able to emulate him?  I don't follow French 2nd division football but I've done some Mickey Mouse scouting by looking up the Ligue 2 team of the year, which is as follows:

GK France Baptiste Reynet Dijon
DF French Guiana Simon Falette Brest
DF France Julien Cétout Nancy
DF France Christopher Jullien Dijon
DF France Clément Lenglet Nancy
CM France Frédéric Sammaritano Dijon
CM France Naïm Sliti Red Star
CM France Yeni Ngbakoto Metz
FW France Loïs Diony Dijon
FW Senegal Famara Diedhiou Clermont Foot
FW Algeria Hameur Bouazza Red Sta

I recognise Bouazza (31 apparently) from his days in England but I have no idea who the rest are.

Quick looks at the wiki pages make me think the following three may be interesting*:

Christopher Jullien - 23, 6'5" CB. This season 28 apps and 7 goals on loan at Dijon from Freiburg II.  Given his size could he be a replacement for Baker? In black in this picture.

2230832.jpeg

Julien Cetout - Plays at Nancy in CM. 28, 6' tall.  Not a prolific goalscorer but might bring a little bit of experience to the squad?  Although I actually think we should be looking for a CM who is late 20's and has at least 3 seasons in the championship under his belt.

Famara Diedhiou - 23, 6'4" FW. This season 34 apps 21 goals.  Senegalese striker who joined Sochaux in 2014 and this season was on loan at Clermont; he may not have long left on his Sochaux contract. A new Wilbraham? Here he is scoring all sorts of goals.

*I haven never seen any of this lot play and have no idea if any of them are any good.

If those clips are anything to go by, I don't think we should be looking at any of the goalkeepers and i would want to give any defenders a thorough trial before considering them.

Going off thread (apologies), but staying in Europe, during the Euros did I hear correctly? The commentator describing one of the Hungarian players stated last season he scored 36 goals in 28 appearances in the Polish League. Could it be that way from the obvious Leagues, there are some real gems out there?

• Admin

I looked at DIedhiou earlier this Summer and I don't believe he'd get a work permit. Not been in France long enough to get a French passport and not played enough internationals to satisfy our FA/Home Office criteria.

Archived