IGNORED

Employer rec'd a anonymous letter regarding me

Fiale

It appears my employer has received a anonymous letter in regards to my views on the company and management, my unhappiness at issues and relationship with the company and employees. This has come as a surprise as I am surrounded by people complaining about the company all day, and my reply is just to do your job, if things are going wrong let things sort themselves out or point out potential problems. 

So as you can imagine I am not happy as HR, my manager and management team think I am some sort of troublemaker, when the reality is I check in / check out keep my head down and just do my work. Does anyone know if I am entitled to see the letter or the best way to deal with a situation like this ? 

1 minute ago, Big Brother said:

chat with a solicitor.

The thing is they are just saying I can come to them and voice my concerns and complaints - but I don't have any. I do not however want them thinking badly of me when to be honest I don't really care what the management are doing. I have no idea what is actually in the letter, so not sure if I can read it and address the points it may have, or just say, I have no problems and the letter seems a malicious attempt to maybe portray others complaints as mine.

Clearly someone doesn't like you!  I would just play a very straight bat and tell them that none of the accusations are true and that the best place to discuss this would be an employment tribunal.  This is a lose/lose position for an employer and would cost them time and money.  Accusations are not evidence without proof and proof is very difficult in these situations.  Good luck! (Is your employer a gashead?)

Thanks guys, I know this is going to prey on my mind for the rest of the weekend. Monday I will confront them and find out what is happening, would really like to know if I have a right to see the complaint though. 

I spoken to my daughter and she says that the best way is to ask to see the letter and the company have no legal right to refuse. She say it's your right in order to defend yourself and give your side.

Essentially it's a grievance against you and you can ask to see the companies grievance procedure. 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I spoken to my daughter and she says that the best way is to ask to see the letter and the company have legal right to refuse. She say it's your right in order to defend yourself and give your side.

Essentially it's a grievance against you and you can ask to see the companies grievance procedure. 

Many thanks Robbored - I will approach them Monday, thanks again.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

She asked who you work for?

It's a accommodation company for students, I work in one of the building areas admin teams budgets/accounts. Probably easy to guess the company, but don't really want to say more because you never know who's reading what ;)

10 minutes ago, Fiale said:

It's a accommodation company for students, I work in one of the building areas admin teams budgets/accounts. Probably easy to guess the company, but don't really want to say more because you never know who's reading what ;)

She also said that as the letter is anonymous the company and HR are pretty powerless because they have no access to the author of the letter and therefore can't follow correct employments procedure. 

She added that HR can usually tell when an employee has sought relevant advice and that in her company of 1500 employees her department has never received an anonymous letter..........not a situation she'd come across before.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

She also said that as the letter is anonymous the company and HR are pretty powerless because they have no access to the author of the letter and therefore can't follow correct employments procedure. 

It is more the fact someone seems to be using me to put across their agenda/objections/complaints and by doing so rubbishing my name with management which may have impacts on my job, promotion, pay. Anyway, hopefully can resolve this on Monday.

If the letter is anonymous - it CANNOT possibly be verified. Simple as.

Can you imagine such a thing being used against you, or if it would stand up in an Employment Tribunal.

Any idiot / person with grudge can do this - or just make up allegations.

Make sure you deny the allegation in writing AND that a record is kept of the letter.

It's upsetting, but don't let them win by allowing yourself to get sucked into this crap.

Good luck.

Uncle TFR

14 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Can you imagine such a thing being used against you, or if it would stand up in an Employment Tribunal.

Make sure you deny the allegation in writing AND that a record is kept of the letter.

It's upsetting, but don't let them win by allowing yourself to get sucked into this crap.

Good luck.

Uncle TFR

Thanks, I was a little upset at first, but now I am confident that it can be settled on Monday and that someone is just being malicious - I have no idea why, but as long as I can clarify that I have no issues and am pretty happy in my job then I will ok.

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Good luck.

Uncle TFR

Would agree with you

You can always go down the freedom of information route if you feel the need and ask them for any personal data that they hold pertaining to you in your personal file.

You could even suggest you may know who the author is and suggest that you might be considering an action for defamation of character, they would have to cough it up then.

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

It's a accommodation agency..........

...... Probably easy to guess the company, but don't really want to say more because you never know who's reading what ;)

Curbishley & Sons are a notorious property and lettings company.... Good luck dealing with Alan the guvnor Fiale he'll no doubt try to give you what four four two. 

(Sure you,ll be OK when its sorted out next week, ...hope you can suss out who the office shit/shits / is/are and beware of 'em in future ...fore warned is fore armed etc.

Good Luck.) 

******* always drop a shit bomb on you on Friday afternoon so you have all weekend to think about it. Ask to see the letter, laugh at it then tell them that this is all made up because the letter clearly has missed out the bit  where you have called the management incompetent arseholes. Take the letter off them and announce as you are walking out that you need a crap and the piece of paper will come in handy. Free advice.

45 minutes ago, screech said:

******* always drop a shit bomb on you on Friday afternoon so you have all weekend to think about it. Ask to see the letter, laugh at it then tell them that this is all made up because the letter clearly has missed out the bit  where you have called the management incompetent arseholes. Take the letter off them and announce as you are walking out that you need a crap and the piece of paper will come in handy. Free advice.

And that advice will get you a pay rise.Management like honesty I found out

18 hours ago, screech said:

Screech, it would appear, is a freakin HR expert.

After all this time, we NOW discover a legitimate talent.

:worship2:

Yes.

Uncle TFR

Just deny ever saying anything bad towards the company (unless someone higher up has heard otherwise), and that so long as you can come in, do your job, go home and get paid at the end of the week/month, then you're more than happy at being employed there.

As others have said, especially Robbored, all they have is an anonymous letter. Not a lot they can do.

If it doesn't go away, sick leave due to stress, and then get some legal advice. 

Personally if I was the employer, I'd be wanting to know who wrote the letter, because if the contents are untrue (which we are presuming is true) then somebody is either trying to get you in the you know what, or are trying to air their views and pinning it on someone else.

Good luck, but if it goes any further, I wouldn't make anymore comments on here as it could backfire against you. As you say - you never know who's reading.

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

You can't agree with me, as we are love rivals.

You've made me ******* angry now.

:bruce_h4h:

Uncle TFR

Just because you are a loser in love doesn't mean I can't agree with you.

Now go take your medication and ask the staff if you can go and sit in the garden and admire the sundial.

21 hours ago, BigTone said:

Just because you are a loser in love doesn't mean I can't agree with you.

Now go take your medication and ask the staff if you can go and sit in the garden and admire the sundial.

You sure that won't excite him too much, Tone? Remember what happened last time :o

Don't think you have too much to worry about there. If nobody has put their name to it and can't provide anything other than anecdotal evidence then they have no course of action to take with you apart from informing you that they received it. Definitely ask to take a look though, if only for your own amusement.  

If you like, i'll happily write another anon letter stating the exact opposite of the previous letter, highlighting how great you are, what a fantastic job you do and how you always speak positively about the company.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Don't think you have too much to worry about there. If nobody has put their name to it and can't provide anything other than anecdotal evidence then they have no course of action to take with you apart from informing you that they received it. Definitely ask to take a look though, if only for your own amusement.  

If you like, i'll happily write another anon letter stating the exact opposite of the previous letter, highlighting how great you are, what a fantastic job you do and how you always speak positively about the company.

Why would you contradict the letter I have already sent ?

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:53, Fiale said:

Thanks, I was a little upset at first, but now I am confident that it can be settled on Monday and that someone is just being malicious - I have no idea why, but as long as I can clarify that I have no issues and am pretty happy in my job then I will ok.

How did you get on mate? All sorted?

Hi, I emailed the HR department asking to have a meeting to see them and go over the letter this morning. Not long after lunch a girl from HR called asking me some questions, she said she was having problems finding anything relating to. Said she would get back to me tomorrow if that was ok. So hopefully something will be arranged tomorrow.

Any employer worth its salt would despatch an anonymous letter to the big round filing tray on the floor i.e. waste bin. No credence would be given to the content of an anonymous letter in my past business.

As you've done, approach PR and seek assurances that the letter will be destroyed and no record will be kept of its content. State that you refute allegations (assuming they're unfounded) and would deal with any grievance you had with your employer through appropriate channels. 

Archived