IGNORED

Do we Hate the Millwall?

reddogkev

19 hours ago, poland_exile said:

was this when they went on the pitch at the end? if so, think about 30 or so city got into their stand to our left right after final whistle to exchange pleasantries. A mate of mine, a real arsenal geezer went in the millwall end as a neutral. Met him way, way afterwards when city were being packed off to the tube and he turned and whispered to me, '****ing hell, look at this mob of nutters they've got out for you' - had to shut him up lively: 'this is our lot mate' :D 

Not sure how true this is, but I was told that City had a few West Ham with them that day, and that they had keys to open some of the doors which led to the other stand, from the one City were in. Anyone?

"Not sure how true this is, but I was told that City had a few West Ham with them that day, and that they had keys to open some of the doors which led to the other stand, from the one City were in. Anyone? "

The doors were forced open. The odd thing was that the Police had to subdue what was going on with a lot of force and baton the City boys who were using bins as sheilds back out from where they came, but when all was calmer outside around thirty City lads appeared strolling out of one of Millwalls stands asking politely to be let into the pen and walkway back to the tube station. It was like they had been for a nice uneventful stroll.

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Shame they don't have the same respect for normal members of the public and residents who's streets they turn into anarchy.  Probably only fair to pay them respect after they've operated in the street where you live.

They stood up for their community. Where's the problem ?  Didn't see too many Bristolians do the same thing

17 minutes ago, BigTone said:

They stood up for their community. Where's the problem ?  Didn't see too many Bristolians do the same thing

I agree that it was fair play to them, but disagree that not many bristolian's would have stood up had it been necessary. Millwall (and Charlton) were standing up to stop their own manor, Eltham, getting torched rather than seeking to protect other neighboring districts. If areas in south briz had gone up I like to think that many would have done the same. Instead, to my knowledge, it was places like Stokes Croft, St Werburgh's, Cabot Circus that were getting trouble. I can't blame anyone for not going up there to get involved - why put your neck on the line for an area that the locals want to wreck. (incidentally, i wasn't in england for the riots so am speaking as an outsider, and therefore might be totally barking up the wrong tree - if so, I stand corrected!) 

41 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I agree that it was fair play to them, but disagree that not many bristolian's would have stood up had it been necessary. Millwall (and Charlton) were standing up to stop their own manor, Eltham, getting torched rather than seeking to protect other neighboring districts. If areas in south briz had gone up I like to think that many would have done the same. Instead, to my knowledge, it was places like Stokes Croft, St Werburgh's, Cabot Circus that were getting trouble. I can't blame anyone for not going up there to get involved - why put your neck on the line for an area that the locals want to wreck. (incidentally, i wasn't in england for the riots so am speaking as an outsider, and therefore might be totally barking up the wrong tree - if so, I stand corrected!) 

The fact is not too many Bristolians did stand up to them, end of story

So, after coming back from Wembley, dejected obviously...apparently Millwall have always hated BCAFC.

I did a quick search to find out why (as the person who told me that wasn't sure)  and ended up joining up to comment because i saw laughable comments from a few days ago.

"Are they still bad"

Yes. Last year in the Playoff Semi Final they invaded the pitch about five minutes before the game finished, at Wembley, they ripped seats out and thankfully Barnsley beat them. Barnsley is a good town (i have close links to there) and has good people. 

Yesterday,i'm sure you've seen what they did. Invading the pitch after they won, the fans being slagged off by both the manager and Steve Morison (who i believe is held in high regards such as Neil Harris was) as a "Club Legend" 

Strangely enough, some of the fans were outside Wembley the same time as the BCAFC fans started leaving(directly after the final whistle) From four years back there were no BCAFC fans outside after we beat Northampton. It's a given that fans want to stop behind to see that raising of the trophy. The ones we saw just wanted to fight though. 

Bradford City had well wishes from fans of 40+ teams in the lead up to Yesterdays game.Even Leeds United and Huddersfield Town fans chimed in giving support for the Bantams. 

I'd have loved to have make another visit down to Bristol City, alas maybe in 2018/2019 and hopefully we'll pass Millwall on the way up. 

Been to Millwall many many times. Saw Clive Whitehead score on his debut (Gould got the other we won 2-0) and saw us lose there 3-1 one or two years earlier (I seem to remember it was one of Ray Cashley's first games....I can remember saying to my old man where's Gibbo!)

Got threatened the first time there age about 7. :laugh:! Was at the Atteveld game we had the Temptations playing up front Allison Cole and Rossenior if I'm not mistaken.

One year a little old boy gave us two free tickets. Goat scored two in a 2-0. 

Best day was a Tuesday during one of our good seasons. We had a loads there for an evening game and won 2-0 again I think 

I was there for the TV game when Maynard got two...About 50 of us...made a lot of noise

Every time they come to AG they are up for it and will have a few in home seating...Our policing bill will be big that day!... @JulieH will have it covered I am sure!

For the record I wouldn't care if we ever played them again!

On 15/05/2016 at 17:06, Sixtyseconds said:

Shouldn't laugh.

Sorry can't help it.

Still funny even if it was like a lifetime has now past..

84 game Citys hooligan chaps appeared post match in their hundreds led by a stolen ... Milk float.

Strange sketch.

The milk float story is legendary amongst those who know it.

On 15/05/2016 at 17:51, Red Right Hand said:

I did hear a story from the 80s that a load of City went up to watch Nicky Wiltshire box at Bethnal Green and went over and sprayed The Den a couple of weeks before THAT game when the coaches got done in Earls Court. No idea if it actually happened though.

Yes it did! Think it was the night before the Millwall game actually.

54 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Been to Millwall many many times. Saw Clive Whitehead score on his debut (Gould got the other we won 2-0) and saw us lose there 3-1 one or two years earlier (I seem to remember it was one of Ray Cashley's first games....I can remember saying to my old man where's Gibbo!)

Got threatened the first time there age about 7. :laugh:! Was at the Atteveld game we had the Temptations playing up front Allison Cole and Rossenior if I'm not mistaken.

One year a little old boy gave us two free tickets. Goat scored two in a 2-0. 

Best day was a Tuesday during one of our good seasons. We had a loads there for an evening game and won 2-0 again I think 

I was there for the TV game when Maynard got two...About 50 of us...made a lot of noise

Every time they come to AG they are up for it and will have a few in home seating...Our policing bill will be big that day!... @JulieH will have it covered I am sure!

For the record I wouldn't care if we ever played them again!

Once the fixtures get released we will be in a position then to sit with the club and between us all to agree policing levels at games next season.

i enjoyed working the rovers v millwall game this season, went well, although I was very happy millwall scored! 

the new den is a favourite ground of mine as well, great atmosphere, supported by 2 sets of passionate fans, although this season rovers fans were quite so loud.

i am sure once the fixtures are announced this will be one of the first many fans ( and the police) will be looking for, although knowing our luck it will be opening fixture when everyone is on leave, and a first test of the new away area.

it will be fine either way .

On 15/05/2016 at 17:53, Olé said:

I agree with your other post about them having a dry sense of humour. I've formed a new opinion since living among them, funny, self depreciating and quite respectful of proper clubs - speak with interest and enthusiasm about teams like City and knowledgeable about lower league football in a way most London fans aren't.

This was certainly my experience after living in Millwall country for 15 years. I was afforded nothing but respect (and an acceptable amount of p!ss taking and ribbing - which I was always able to dish back in equal measure and still do) for being a Bristol City supporter, with City nearly always referred to as the proverbial 'proper club'. The only difficulty I had was having friends who supported Charlton, West Ham or Palace in the same room at the same time as the Millwall boys of girls. Or pretty much any other London team for that matter. 

Just now, JulieH said:

Once the fixtures get released we will be in a position then to sit with the club and between us all to agree policing levels at games next season.

i enjoyed working the rovers v millwall game this season, went well, although I was very happy millwall scored! 

the new den is a favourite ground of mine as well, great atmosphere, supported by 2 sets of passionate fans, although this season rovers fans were quite so loud.

i am sure once the fixtures are announced this will be one of the first many fans ( and the police) will be looking for, although knowing our luck it will be opening fixture when everyone is on leave, and a first test of the new away area.

it will be fine either way .

I expect A&S Police along with every other force in the championship is hoping for a cold wet Tuesday in February though!

On Sun May 15 2016 at 11:19, LondonBristolian said:

I don't hate Millwall.  And I think they're much better than they were. West Ham-Millwall games are always going to be fraught affairs but I enjoyed my last trip to the New Den to watch City (especially as we won) and would rather they went up out of all the teams in the play-offs, just because it's easy for me to get there!

i was a tenner richer last time i went new den fifty pence coins being thrown at us in top tier

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The 2001 game was definitely a memorable one.

A Friday night, under the floodlights. Others have already mentioned it but it was very memorable- sure it was raining too.

One thing that sticks in my mind from that game was the Millwall shirts. For some reason they looked really luminous under the lights, almost like they were glowing, no idea why.

On 5/15/2016 at 09:32, reddogkev said:

do we still hate them

Nope. 85 is a long time ago. After that they've been in serious decline in all sorts of ways. They'd like to think we hate them, as - apparently - no-one likes them, but it turns out they are an irrelevance. A total irrelevance. Small club, long time gone.

On 5/15/2016 at 13:09, Red-Robbo said:

I don't like any London clubs*.

"Oh we hate Cockneys and we hate Cockneys,  we hate Cockneys and we hate Cockneys, we hate Cockneys and we hate Cockneys. We are the Cockney  ....... haters."

Right now I'm on a train in Sussex full of ****** Palace fans. Gits one and all.

* personal reasons make a difference - AFC Wimbledon are exempt. 

i  like you personal reason as i come from Wimbledon !!

Archived