IGNORED

Do we Hate the Millwall?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, RedM said:

After the Fulham away game a couple of months ago we got chatting to a couple of stewards. We warned them about the Gas, Fulham looked like they were going to be relegated at the time. One of them genuinely didn't know there were two Bristol teams which made us laugh. Anyway we asked about teams they had the most trouble with Millwall and Luton they said, Millwall even fight with themselves.

And by the way, they were prewarned that we like our flares

It's a Lewisham, Peckham thing, both areas like Millwall. Both areas aren't particularly fond of each other either! 

4 hours ago, redfred said:

That was three years ago and much like we attract day tripping support for big games at Wembley, this was proven to be some of their day tripping support getting pissed up and playing up

Millwall is now my local club and my local is a Millwall pub, and they told me the Wembley thing was groups from Bermondsey and Rotherhithe settling some old scores, the alcohol was just a catalyst. Even in their immediate catchment area they don't identify with one another and many don't watch the team on a regular basis.

But I agree with your other post about them having a dry sense of humour. I've formed a new opinion since living among them, funny, self depreciating and quite respectful of proper clubs - speak with interest and enthusiasm about teams like City and knowledgeable about lower league football in a way most London fans aren't.

As such I have mixed feelings - I've wanted them to do well for the sake of the people in my local and in my immediate neighbourhood, but a part of me imagines being in the same division will bring out a different attitude toward us and an issue with things like having a City sticker on my car and trusting no idiot to vandalise it.

TBH I've seen some of their nutters of a Saturday night on the way through local pubs and they do look for trouble with everyone and everything, but its an increasing rarity as I think most now live outside the area - Eltham etc. More danger round here being stuck behind 10 students buying drinks individually with credit cards.

Lewisham is getting very gentrified now. I could see the beginnings of it about ten years ago when I was working up there. It`s all down to the Dome, Canary Wharf and the DLR I think, everything`s more accessible. There probably aren`t too many of the old traditional docker`s terraced streets left now I would imagine.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

Millwall is now my local club and my local is a Millwall pub, and they told me the Wembley thing was groups from Bermondsey and Rotherhithe settling some old scores, the alcohol was just a catalyst. Even in their immediate catchment area they don't identify with one another and many don't watch the team on a regular basis.

But I agree with your other post about them having a dry sense of humour. I've formed a new opinion since living among them, funny, self depreciating and quite respectful of proper clubs - speak with interest and enthusiasm about teams like City and knowledgeable about lower league football in a way most London fans aren't.

As such I have mixed feelings - I've wanted them to do well for the sake of the people in my local and in my immediate neighbourhood, but a part of me imagines being in the same division will bring out a different attitude toward us and an issue with things like having a City sticker on my car and trusting no idiot to vandalise it.

TBH I've seen some of their nutters of a Saturday night on the way through local pubs and they do look for trouble with everyone and everything, but its an increasing rarity as I think most now live outside the area - Eltham etc. More danger round here being stuck behind 10 students buying drinks individually with credit cards.

34 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I did hear a story from the 80s that a load of City went up to watch Nicky Wiltshire box at Bethnal Green and went over and sprayed The Den a couple of weeks before THAT game when the coaches got done in Earls Court. No idea if it actually happened though.

It did as when I turned up at the old den for the game and got off the coach it was all over the back of the stand city kill Millwall which pretty much set the tone for the day!

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

It did as when I turned up at the old den for the game and got off the coach it was all over the back of the stand city kill Millwall which pretty much set the tone for the day!

I often wondered - I didn`t see the graffiti probably because I had my coat over my head when the missiles came raining down from the old railway arches. That was a truly scary day. I remember when Andy Llewellyn (?) scored to put us one up we all thought WTF is going to happen now. The blokes trying to climb the fence from their side all looked about 50 and well up for it - thank God they didn`t get at us. 90 minutes subjected to a constant hail of coins, darts, bottles and snooker balls.

Bloody cold trip back down the M4 with no windows in the coach as well but I think we were just glad we escaped alive!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I often wondered - I didn`t see the graffiti probably because I had my coat over my head when the missiles came raining down from the old railway arches. That was a truly scary day. I remember when Andy Llewellyn (?) scored to put us one up we all thought WTF is going to happen now. The blokes trying to climb the fence from their side all looked about 50 and well up for it - thank God they didn`t get at us. 90 minutes subjected to a constant hail of coins, darts, bottles and snooker balls.

Bloody cold trip back down the M4 with no windows in the coach as well but I think we were just glad we escaped alive!

I think it was Kenny Stroud who scored and they equalised late in second half and was so glad they did. There were blokes in suits climbing over the fences and it seemed like the whole of Millwall were coming at us. The Venture Inn coach turned up after 20 min the game starting which seemed to kick it all off, I honestly thought we were gonna die that day. I was only 17 at the time but look back at it now and think wtf

4 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I think it was Kenny Stroud who scored and they equalised late in second half and was so glad they did. There were blokes in suits climbing over the fences and it seemed like the whole of Millwall were coming at us. The Venture Inn coach turned up after 20 min the game starting which seemed to kick it all off, I honestly thought we were gonna die that day. I was only 17 at the time but look back at it now and think wtf

pretty sure big trev morgan scored for us

3 hours ago, Olé said:

I've always thought of Millwall as a proper club, very much immersed in the local community and seemingly a huge part of it.

Their fans also seem incredibly proud of their team and their locality and this has obviously boiled over into violence on many occasions.

Football is all about clubs like 'Wall for me....a tight stadium in their traditional heartland with fiercely loyal supporters....not a soul-less new stadium on an industrial park outside of town...

I remember there being lots of animosity between us and them in the 80s and one home game (1985?) when there was a lot of trouble (with seats being ripped out and chucked from the Dolman and the Millwall fans lighting a bonfire in the Open End). In the years after that game I recall anti-Millwall songs being sung quite regularly at games.

That game in the early 2000s when Lee Matthews scored a last minute penalty was a feisty affair as well. I'd forgotten Dyche was with them then.

Overall, though, I feel quite indifferent towards them. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting their ground - maybe one for next season if they get promoted.

6 minutes ago, Offside said:

I remember there being lots of animosity between us and them in the 80s and one home game (1985?) when there was a lot of trouble (with seats being ripped out and chucked from the Dolman and the Millwall fans lighting a bonfire in the Open End). In the years after that game I recall anti-Millwall songs being sung quite regularly at games.

That game in the early 2000s when Lee Matthews scored a last minute penalty was a feisty affair as well. I'd forgotten Dyche was with them then.

Overall, though, I feel quite indifferent towards them. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting their ground - maybe one for next season if they get promoted.

That 1985 one was the return game to the one we`ve been talking about I think.

A visit to the old Den was certainly an experience although it did get a bit better as things calmed down a bit in later years. I remember being there when Ray Atteveld scored a real comedy own goal - Danny Baker was doing 606 then, back when it was good, and said that when something like that happened they should play circus music over the tannoy.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That 1985 one was the return game to the one we`ve been talking about I think.

A visit to the old Den was certainly an experience although it did get a bit better as things calmed down a bit in later years. I remember being there when Ray Atteveld scored a real comedy own goal - Danny Baker was doing 606 then, back when it was good, and said that when something like that happened they should play circus music over the tannoy.

that was my first trip to wall and their last season at the old den i think - what a stadium!!! those fences were lethal, there was a floodlight pylon in the middle, and the roof was so low if you were right at the back you couldn't see the other end. So glad I made it up to that stadium mind, a beauty of a ground in the truest, rawest sense. we won 3-2 if i remember rightly, with cole and rosenior terrorizing them? I can't imagine what it must have been like being up there with city in the 80s! 

12 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't hate Millwall.  And I think they're much better than they were. West Ham-Millwall games are always going to be fraught affairs but I enjoyed my last trip to the New Den to watch City (especially as we won) and would rather they went up out of all the teams in the play-offs, just because it's easy for me to get there!

Only went there the once,when the Goat got two...a mad day.

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Only went there the once,when the Goat got two...a mad day.

was this when they went on the pitch at the end? if so, think about 30 or so city got into their stand to our left right after final whistle to exchange pleasantries. A mate of mine, a real arsenal geezer went in the millwall end as a neutral. Met him way, way afterwards when city were being packed off to the tube and he turned and whispered to me, '****ing hell, look at this mob of nutters they've got out for you' - had to shut him up lively: 'this is our lot mate' :D 

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

that was my first trip to wall and their last season at the old den i think - what a stadium!!! those fences were lethal, there was a floodlight pylon in the middle, and the roof was so low if you were right at the back you couldn't see the other end. So glad I made it up to that stadium mind, a beauty of a ground in the truest, rawest sense. we won 3-2 if i remember rightly, with cole and rosenior terrorizing them? I can't imagine what it must have been like being up there with city in the 80s! 

Wasn't that the game Atteveld scored a superb own goal in off the crossbar or am I thinking of a different match?

On 15/05/2016 at 12:57, redfred said:

It's to cliche to not like Millwall, without any valid reason these days. Name the last time you heard of any trouble amongst their fans?

I know a few of their fans as well and they are among the funniest and driest people I've ever met.

I like Millwall.

A recent documentary (a year or two back?) on the box shows plenty of vermin in their ranks within the last few years.

Then again, most clubs have some.

Anyone asking if they've changed, wasn't it about 3 months ago they put on a bit of a show at Swindon and we were all taking the piss at the sight of loads of fat, bald headed 50 year old men screaming at a line of coppers.....Millwall are still Millwall, but as @BS4 on Tour... says, I quite like a club like that where the whole community seems to be behind them. Not the violence, but the fact if you live there, you are Millwall (not The Millwall @BigTone, that's just wrong)

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Anyone asking if they've changed, wasn't it about 3 months ago they put on a bit of a show at Swindon and we were all taking the piss at the sight of loads of fat, bald headed 50 year old men screaming at a line of coppers.....Millwall are still Millwall, but as @BS4 on Tour... says, I quite like a club like that where the whole community seems to be behind them. Not the violence, but the fact if you live there, you are Millwall (not The Millwall @BigTone, that's just wrong)

I was impressed that during the last lot of London riots they all went down to protect the shops etc from the rioters. Respect from me.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I was impressed that during the last lot of London riots they all went down to protect the shops etc from the rioters. Respect from me.

Ha, is it really worth fighting 'The Millwall' for a box of cheap cheese & onion crisps and as many packets of smokes that you can carry?

Fair play to them

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Shame they don't have the same respect for normal members of the public and residents who's streets they turn into anarchy.  Probably only fair to pay them respect after they've operated in the street where you live.

On 15 May 2016 at 10:07, Kim_il_sung said:

He said that he doesn't want the hassle of the police prescence and the crowd trouble when they played us. Nothing about watching them as a neutral. I think he made that fairly clear.

Judging by the fact he still doesn't understand not clear enough I'd say

Archived