IGNORED

Man U v Bournemouth

Super

42 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Either a complete load of nonsense and total overreaction or something very sinister. Can't see a middle ground.

Here's a middle ground: a highly suspicious looking package left strangely unattended and unclaimed, that ultimately turns out to be nothing.

Evacuating a stadium is not a decision taken lightly so it's not fair to cry "overreaction" even it does prove a false alarm. Especially in these times.

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

More airport style scanners I would think. Not sure if a ban on bags would do much if a suicide bomber straps explosives to their bodies.

im not taking my shoes off to go in football ground.

22 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Can't say I've ever brought a bag to a football match. 

I have, last year and the year before I was at uni and travelling 2 hours plus before I got to Bristol, when I went to the JPT game away at Cheltenham I knew I wouldn't be able to get back before 6am because of train times, so I took my bag with my laptop so I could do some uni work while I had a 6 hour wait for Cardiff train station to open. Other times where I've been going to stay at someone's after but earliest I could arrive was around kick off

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

This might be closer to home... That IRA level warning midweek maybe? 

Indeed, my Auntie was injured in the 1996 Manchester bombing so there's previous form for that city. 

Thankfully nobody injured or worse today and hope the emergency services and military attending stay safe. 

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

This will ensure that all the security measures are ramped up for next season.  We will have to start queuing from 10.30am.  Mrs Merkel thinks we should take a larger share of immigrants from war areas - whereas we have our own Irish terrorists.  It's a sad world!

Over-reaction of the day to you sir!

I would think, if it is found to be terrorist-related, it`s more likely to be ISIS or one of their affiliates. After targeting the Real Madrid supporters club in Iraq, Man Utd would be seen as a natural next step - biggest club in Spain, biggest in England.

IMO they are trying to ramp up the fear factor before the Euros and make them a security nightmare even if they don`t have anything planned. Anything they can do to disrupt the way us normal people live their lives is a victory for them

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I would think, if it is found to be terrorist-related, it`s more likely to be ISIS or one of their affiliates. After targeting the Real Madrid supporters club in Iraq, Man Utd would be seen as a natural next step - biggest club in Spain, biggest in England.

IMO they are trying to ramp up the fear factor before the Euros and make them a security nightmare even if they don`t have anything planned. Anything they can do to disrupt the way us normal people live their lives is a victory for them

A true ISIS attack would be very chilling however on the face of it low key in what they've been responsible for elsewhere in the world.

I would be more inclined to think that the device(s) found/not found today are more likely to be IRA related terrorism. 

Close to mainland Ireland and the fact that it has been found points suspicion that way, ISIS are all about the big statement. 

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not sure about this.

Islamist terrorists would probably have sent suicide bombers, to maximise casualties.

My guess is dissident Irish Republicans. Sourness making the point that he had been patted down suggests some suspicion before the game. Possibly a coded warning beforehand, that wasn't acted on until further info came in ?

With this bomb being found relatively easily, it would appear that disruption was the intention, rather than mass casualties.

I.S. / A.Q. would not have given away intel.

2 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

A true ISIS attack would be very chilling however on the face of it low key in what they've been responsible for elsewhere in the world.

I would be more inclined to think that the device(s) found/not found today are more likely to be IRA related terrorism. 

Really... You think it would be low key? Short of flying planes into buildings, I'm not sure there'd be much they've ever done that would be higher profile. It's just a good job that the boys in blue were there. 

Suddenly that decision to abandon the game is looking a very wise decision. 

7 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Close to mainland Ireland and the fact that it has been found points suspicion that way, ISIS are all about the big statement. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've read that it was a mobile phone wired up to some pipes; found in a toilet.

No idea whether it was a feasible bomb but it certainly looked like one; rather than just being a forgotten bag.

that don't ring true

2 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Not sure about this.

Islamist terrorists would probably have sent suicide bombers, to maximise casualties.

My guess is dissident Irish Republicans. Sourness making the point that he had been patted down suggests some suspicion before the game. Possibly a coded warning beforehand, that wasn't acted on until further info came in ?

I.S. / A.Q. would not have given away intel.

True, everything points to it being something like that but I just feel OT wouldn`t be a target given the amount of Irish people that are likely to be there. Other clubs maybe but not Man Utd. Maybe it`s just the disruption they`re after, who knows.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Really... You think it would be low key? Short of flying planes into buildings, I'm not sure there'd be much they've ever done that would be higher profile. It's just a good job that the boys in blue were there. 

Suddenly that decision to abandon the game is looking a very wise decision. 

Perhaps low key is the wrong way of articulating my point, absolutely agree that in terms of profile it doesn't get much more than what you suggest but what I'm saying is that the attacks they've claimed responsibility for so far or been linked too don't follow the story being told out of Old Trafford today. 

BBC reporting a controlled explosion now has taken place. 

I find it odd that all spectators were evacuated, a 100ft or metre cordon put on the area, but those million pound a month players were kept inside the stadium? Unless they feared for their safety by getting them outside, you'd think they'd have got them as far away as possible?

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I find it odd that all spectators were evacuated, a 100ft or metre cordon put on the area, but those million pound a month players were kept inside the stadium? Unless they feared for their safety by getting them outside, you'd think they'd have got them as far away as possible?

I expect the dressing rooms are bomb proof from when SAF was manager.

Archived