IGNORED

Insight into why SC was sacked

Major Isewater

13 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Does anyone think the Garita signing was Cotterill being dick and trying to prove a point? You want cheap signings, I'll give you cheap signings!! 

I've been told by a very reliable source, that he's been told to get fit over the Summer and lose weight as well.

24 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Does anyone think the Garita signing was Cotterill being dick and trying to prove a point? You want cheap signings, I'll give you cheap signings!! 

I think Garita was bought in to help settle Kodjia.

He is apparently a character who might just come good or if not Could be sold back from whence he came with no real loss.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've been told by a very reliable source, that he's been told to get fit over the Summer and lose weight as well.

Didn't LJ mention something about that the other day? I guess he hasn't seen him in action much, plus he was injured.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Look at the players SC was trying to bring in over the Summer.

We matched wages on a lot of deals.

The fact is, certain people don't seem to like the fact, that Bristol City are an unfashionable Club in this league, and have a proven record of bobbing about between Championship and League 1.

All the players that SC went after, for different reasons, wanted to play for other teams and not us. All quality players.

Some wanted to find clubs that gave them a better opportunity, in there mind, of better success in this league, and maybe a chance of promotion.

And you make not like this, but SC is marmite. A lot of footballers don't want to play for him. Some will. some won't.

It wasn't all about money.

There were also other issues, regarding contracts, that had been agreed in principle but it when it came to the crunch didn't add up.

Our stock was higher last summer than it is now. We walked the League 1 title playing good football in a soon-to-be refurbished stadium. We left it too late to go for our prime targets and were left clutching for unrealistic targets.

Regardless, it appears we've learned our lesson now. Had Ashton been in the job last summer, last seaosn may have been a different story.

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Our stock was higher last summer than it is now. We walked the League 1 title playing good football in a soon-to-be refurbished stadium. We left it too late to go for our prime targets and were left clutching for unrealistic targets.

Regardless, it appears we've learned our lesson now. Had Ashton been in the job last summer, last seaosn may have been a different story.

With respect...I'd disagree...our stock is higher now, as we've gone on a run since SC left, that would have been noticed by players in the Championship.

We finished in a respectable position, considering our start, and are on the up.

Moving up from League 1, you are an unknown quantity.

Like I said before...we may have won league one...but our history is bobbing around the two divisions. Footballers and Agents know this.

None of those players that SC went after, were going to sign 3 year deals with us, because of our history....amongst other things.  Regardless of the money.

Our Prime targets weren't left too late...we agreed certain deals before the end of last season. They fell foul because of certain irregularities.

I will agree that we seem to be moving in the right direction now.

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

None of those players that SC went after, were going to sign 3 year deals with us, because of our history....amongst other things.  Regardless of the money.

If that's the case, Lansdown could put his money where his mouth is, and give them generous release clauses if they get relegated.

If we're truly looking towards promotion to the Premier League, then surely that ambition can be reflected in the deals we make?

Either way, look at Newcastle United. They've been flirting with relegation for a while, yet they were able to buy some top-quality players from other divisions. Sure, they ****** up by not replacing their defence from their previous relegation.

Personally, I think that Lansdown is sick of being taken for a mug by managers, so he wants to move to a model where transfers are handled by a CEO and a team of scouts. It's not a silly way to go, but only if it means that the money is available when the CEO needs it.

23 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

,If that's the case, Lansdown could put his money where his mouth is, and give them generous release clauses if they get relegated.

If we're truly looking towards promotion to the Premier League, then surely that ambition can be reflected in the deals we make?

Either way, look at Newcastle United. They've been flirting with relegation for a while, yet they were able to buy some top-quality players from other divisions. Sure, they ****** up by not replacing their defence from their previous relegation.

Personally, I think that Lansdown is sick of being taken for a mug by managers, so he wants to move to a model where transfers are handled by a CEO and a team of scouts. It's not a silly way to go, but only if it means that the money is available when the CEO needs it.

It's nothing to do with money...we are little ol' Bristol City...and we had a manager in SC that is marmite to players.

You cannot compare Newcastle with us.

Managers haven't been doing the deals...Our Director of football was, in tandem with our Finance Director.

That's also where you should look to see where things went wrong.

29 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

If that's the case, Lansdown could put his money where his mouth is, and give them generous release clauses if they get relegated.

and we are right back to square one losing 15-20 million a season and under a transfer embargo for breaking FFP rules like fulham and forest have been recently

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It's nothing to do with money...we are little ol' Bristol City...and we had a manager in SC that is marmite to players.

You cannot compare Newcastle with us.

Managers haven't been doing the deals...Our Director of football was, in tandem with our Finance Director.

That's also where you should look to see where things went wrong.

Why not? Both are entirely different teams, but surely the same rules apply? Footballers couldn't give two shits about Newcastle's self-belief that they are a big club. All they care about is playing football and getting their next pay cheque.

Lansdown wants to protect his reputation so that he doesn't get shafted in the transfer market again, but penny pinching won't exactly give you a good reputation either. It shows players that you won't be able to attract the quality needed to push for a good position.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

and we are right back to square one losing 15-20 million a season and under a transfer embargo for breaking FFP rules like fulham and forest have been recently

If Lansdown hasn't been able to improve our income in all these years, the fault should lie with him. I understand the stadium is a part of that, but we should be in a position now where we can set some projections and look to spend money wisely, not tightening the purse strings and then throwing stupid money around on average players that don't even want to join us.

The fear of spending money is not a valid excuse to not spend money. If I stop paying for my mortgage because I'm afraid of losing that money, the bank won't just let me have my house back. I'll be homeless. If we don't spend money, we'll be back in League 1 where we started.

45 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Why not? Both are entirely different teams, but surely the same rules apply? Footballers couldn't give two shits about Newcastle's self-belief that they are a big club. All they care about is playing football and getting their next pay cheque.

Mate if you pretend your opinions are facts no one's going to take you seriously.

47 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The fear of spending money is not a valid excuse to not spend money. If I stop paying for my mortgage because I'm afraid of losing that money, the bank won't just let me have my house back. I'll be homeless. If we don't spend money, we'll be back in League 1 where we started.

As bonkers analogies go that's just about as good as it can get.

I love this place.

I really don't want to comment on the 15ers but whilst some seem to panic that they will splash the cash this summer , they have the same boundaries as everyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong but , I think in league one and two clubs can only spend 60% of turnover . With crowds of 7000 that ain't much . 

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Lansdown wants to protect his reputation so that he doesn't get shafted in the transfer market again, but penny pinching won't exactly give you a good reputation either. It shows players that you won't be able to attract the quality needed to push for a good position.

I'm listening........

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Nope. You've lost me.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I really don't want to comment on the 15ers but whilst some seem to panic that they will splash the cash this summer , they have the same boundaries as everyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong but , I think in league one and two clubs can only spend 60% of turnover . With crowds of 7000 that ain't much . 

Think its as low as 30% in league 2

Archived