IGNORED

Insight into why SC was sacked

Major Isewater

Lansdown added: "I'd like to pay tribute to the previous regime. It was Steve Cotterill who brought in Jonathan Kodjia and he has been a great signing. He got that one right, but just didn't get it right around the edges.

Interesting.

Good article Mr Stockhausen.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-won-t-throw-silly-money-transfers/story-29278781-detail/story.html#ixzz48tCEj6oA 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

From the headline under the picture of him busting some flow, it appears out esteemed majority shareholder was disappointed by the way he dressed last time:

"Now that Bristol City are back in the Championship, majority shareholder Steve Lansdown is determined to don things a different way."

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-won-t-throw-silly-money-transfers/story-29278781-detail/story.html#ixzz48tFNCN7a 
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

I recommend parachute pants, Steve.

Nothing in the article that we've not either heard or knew about. It's  not a revelation that SL lost faith in Cotterill, that was obvious before Xmas.

I posted before that it's taken SL this long to "get it right". In the past he'd employed inexperienced people in senior positions and that's essentially why our club hasn't pushed on as we all would have hoped. Now we have two guys who know their way around the football industry which imv,  is about time. 

Obviously the player movements in and out will the real test for both of them this summer but I have a feeling that'll it'll be a success and I haven't had that feeling for literally ages.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nothing in the article that we've not either heard or knew about. It's  not a revelation that SL lost faith in Cotterill, that was obvious before Xmas.

I posted before that it's taken SL this long to "get it right". In the past he'd employed inexperienced people in senior positions and that's essentially why our club hasn't pushed on as we all would have hoped. Now we have two guys who know their way around the football industry which imv,  is about time. 

Obviously the player movements in and out will the real test for both of them this summer but I have a feeling that'll it'll be a success and I haven't had that feeling for literally ages.

When Robbored comes out in  full support of both the owner and Management structure/recruiting... it's time to be very afraid indeed.

Biggest comment, that SL alludes to, is that they had this Recruitment policy in place for a couple years, but 'Individuals' sometimes find it difficult to give up their old style.'

Regardless of that...we move on.

It's good to see SL saying these things and being honest that we've made massive mistakes and thrown large amounts of money at targets to just survive.

The unfortunate side of this, is that he's created a rod for his own back.

Bristol City under SL, are seen as a Club that throws money around. It's now ingrained in other clubs and agents psychi.

It makes it a lot harder for any manager and recruitment team to get players on board full time.

It's going to take a while for other Clubs to realise this imo.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Biggest comment, that SL alludes to, is that they had this Recruitment policy in place for a couple years, but 'Individuals' sometimes find it difficult to give up their old style.'

It's good to see SL saying these things and being honest that we've made massive mistakes and thrown large amounts of money at targets to just survive.

Bristol City under SL, are seen as a Club that throws money around. It's now ingrained in other clubs and agents psychi.

It makes it a lot harder for any manager and recruitment team to get players on board full time.

Yes maybe, but with Mark Ashton & co I'm sure they will be able to change that. 

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

The worrying thing is that it's not the first time that SL has been honest and said we've made massive mistakes.....it's like a bi-annual tradition now

28 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes maybe, but with Mark Ashton & co I'm sure they will be able to change that. 

According to a Gashead I know it's them that will be doing all the big spending next season, so maybe we can duck under the radar and hand over the mantle of being the Bristol club who pay too much!

As for Cotterill, stubbornness. He had to have control and when it became clear he wasn't heeding advice, and when he did he set us up to fail (Derby away) just to prove a point, his position had become untainible. He was so desperate for his winning formation to work, as it had previously,  that he couldn't see the wood for the trees.

I haven't read the article yet ( hate the Post site) but is the 'edges' comment regarding the academy? He didn't want to use them at all, more interested in signing unattainable names and working almost alone in doing so

This is all part of the "Phoney War" as we await the start of the summer transfer window madness. SL is talking to other clubs here, hoping the BBC sport site puts this story up so that every other owner/ chairman/CEO/manager around the country sees that Bristol City won't be taken for a ride, again. This is the new, frugal Bristol City, not the old, profligate Bristol City. 

Meanwhile, every owner/chairman/CEO/manager/agent around the country recalls the eye-watering bids for eyebrow-raising targets less than a year ago and will be aware that we badly need good players. And more than one or two of them.

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

According to a Gashead I know it's them that will be doing all the big spending next season, so maybe we can duck under the radar and hand over the mantle of being the Bristol club who pay too much!

Weren't R*vers offering contracts to all the current squad if they went up? I guess not all will accept, but how big a squad will they need!?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

And yet we recruited so well under SC in 2014?

34 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is all part of the "Phoney War" as we await the start of the summer transfer window madness. SL is talking to other clubs here, hoping the BBC sport site puts this story up so that every other owner/ chairman/CEO/manager around the country sees that Bristol City won't be taken for a ride, again. This is the new, frugal Bristol City, not the old, profligate Bristol City. 

Meanwhile, every owner/chairman/CEO/manager/agent around the country recalls the eye-watering bids for eyebrow-raising targets less than a year ago and will be aware that we badly need good players. And more than one or two of them.

Which leads us to a situation where we wont pay what is 'market rate' and we end up with no one.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Horses for courses...different league, different type of players, different contacts.

Championship is a far different animal.

League one we were the big team on the block, only really us and Sheffield United had the pulling power required to turn a players head,

Championship we aren't even the biggest team in the bottom 8

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Horses for courses...different league, different type of players, different contacts.

In L1, we are high up the food chain, an "apex predator" (a hawk chasing a frog) but in the Championship we are in the middle (a frog chasing a grasshopper) or worse (a grasshopper). This is our Championship DNA. However, every dog has its day, and even a frog can transform into a prince (I might be moving away from science here towards fairytale, ie Leicester City). But a grasshopper's got no f*#$ing chance at this level.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

That doesn't explain why we were unable to get various deals over the line in the summer. The fact we needed to pretty much take the responsibility away from the board to bring players in does.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

In L1, we are high up the food chain, an "apex predator" (a hawk chasing a frog) but in the Championship we are in the middle (a frog chasing a grasshopper) or worse (a grasshopper). This is our Championship DNA. However, every dog has its day, and even a frog can transform into a prince (I might be moving away from science here towards fairytale, ie Leicester City). But a grasshopper's got no f*#$ing chance at this level.

If I drive my combine harvester over the field, your frog (and your dog) are getting crushed.  The grasshopper may be tossed about a bit but will survive.  It's horses for courses.  The grass (Premiershit) isn't always greener...

If you want to try this out I'll give you the keys.

3 minutes ago, Chivs said:

If I drive my combine harvester over the field, your frog (and your dog) are getting crushed.  The grasshopper may be tossed about a bit but will survive.  It's horses for courses.  The grass (Premiershit) isn't always greener...

If you want to try this out I'll give you the keys.

How many acres have you got?

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Quite .:yes:

17 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Is this Bristol City FC we are talking about, or an episode of Kung Fu?

Mind you I can't remember Caine saying " a grasshopper's got no f*#$ing chance at this level."

I don't really like Lansdown airing our dirty laundry in public, especially when we've heard enough from other ex-managers about the state of our board and how the club has been run in the past. If/when Cotterill lands a new job, it'll be interesting to see if he has any words for his time here.

There's very little actually said here, which leads me to believe that Cotterill gave a list of the players he wants, was told they were too expensive, and he stubbornly sat back and refused to budge. This led to the attempted panic buys at the end of the first window, and ultimately Cotterill's job being in question from the start.

The job of a manager is a fragile one. You could work miracles one year, and your job is questioned mere months later. I think Cotterill knew this, and once he didn't get the players he wanted he accepted his fate and waited the job out until he was let go and compensated.

59 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That doesn't explain why we were unable to get various deals over the line in the summer. The fact we needed to pretty much take the responsibility away from the board to bring players in does.

Look at the players SC was trying to bring in over the Summer.

We matched wages on a lot of deals.

The fact is, certain people don't seem to like the fact, that Bristol City are an unfashionable Club in this league, and have a proven record of bobbing about between Championship and League 1.

All the players that SC went after, for different reasons, wanted to play for other teams and not us. All quality players.

Some wanted to find clubs that gave them a better opportunity, in there mind, of better success in this league, and maybe a chance of promotion.

And you make not like this, but SC is marmite. A lot of footballers don't want to play for him. Some will. some won't.

It wasn't all about money.

There were also other issues, regarding contracts, that had been agreed in principle but it when it came to the crunch didn't add up.

Archived