IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

On 18/05/2016 at 07:48, exAtyeoMax said:

If Flinty commented on a great goal, I'm sure I would appreciate the sentiment for what it is… 

If Flinty was playing at the time he tweeted I'd be rather annoyed, but otherwise fine by me.

Tomlins burned his bridges at B'muff and no doubt he won't be there come the start of next season. The big questioni here will he be?

Obviously we'd love to see him at AG in August but he'll have plenty of clubs after him over the summer so who knows where he'll end up.

That said Big Tone seems convinced that he will sign for us so finger crossed.....:fingerscrossed:

First off I would like to say good luck on next season except when you play us of course.  I always had a soft spot for you since we got Andy Cole off you.

Secondly, the comment I am going to make now seems like a WUM but it's not.  It's an honest opinion.

Newcastle are self sufficient, are going to hold onto most of their players and are even talking about taking out a bank loan (they don't currently have one) to add to the parachute payment for new players and to cover wages.

I don't see anybody being able to outbid them if they want a player.

There is also the draw of Rafa Benitez and playing in front of 50,000 each week.  I don't see anyone really competing with that.

Tomlinson is an experienced championship player and just what we need.  We have already sold Cabella, released Obertan and no doubt will sell Thauvin to a french club as he is getting MOM over there quite frequently but was to lightweight for the PL.  So I'm not surprised we are looking at wingers first.

The one thing that bugs me is the Rooney tweet.  If he did it against Bournemouth would he do it against us?

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

@The Magwelcome. It might just be an auto correct thing but the player we are talking about is Tomlin. Feel free to carry on spelling his name wrong and he just might turn you down for us!

Yeah it was, but more fool me for not noticing ha ha

It would certainly be interesting with Tomlin on one side and Townsend on the other.  Most of us wanted Aarons to play but I guess it's a gamble we can't afford as he was injured a lot last season.

What is is personality like?  Would he be ok being a sub in some games?  He won't be guaranteed a starting place if Aarons is fit.

Welcome The Mag.  Looking forward to your visit next season.  Hopefully a full house and you can treat yourselves to some cider rather than Newcastle Down., sorry Brown  ;)

You are right if course, but there are a few of things that work our favour.

- Tomlin obviously enjoyed his time here and this seems important to him

- He is THE player in our team and our manager accommodates him whereas I don't think he will be for you.

- With the greatest respect (this is the bit where I am gonna be disrespective) NUFC are still a bit bonkers.  I think stability he will get at City on and off the field could be a draw.

- We have Mark Little here, his best mate in football.  Apparently he turned down top of the championship clubs to come here to play alongside his mate.

Money talks so if you blow the bank on wages it'll probably all count for little, but we live in hope.

9 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Not only the fee I read that he is on £30,000 a week at Bournemouth which seems a bit high for our budget.

You have read? OK so if I tell you he is on  £15k you can say you have read that and consider it more realistic that we can match that. 

I probably have about as much knowledge as the person that said it was 30k :)

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You have read? OK so if I tell you he is on  £15k you can say you have read that and consider it more realistic that we can match that. 

I probably have about as much knowledge as the person that said it was 30k :)

I just read that he is on £30k, possibly on EP

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-Newcastle-Fulham-join-race-Robins/story-29292747-detail/story.html

2 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Welcome The Mag.  Looking forward to your visit next season.  Hopefully a full house and you can teat yourselves to some cider rather than Newcastle Down., sorry Brown  ;)

You are right if course, but there are a few of things that work our favour.

- Tomlin obviously enjoyed his time here and this seems important to him

- He is THE player in our team and our manager accommodates him whereas I don't think he will be for you.

- With the greatest respect (this is the bit where I am gonna be disrespective) NUFC are still a bit bonkers.  I think stability he will get at City on and off the field could be a draw.

- We have Mark Little here, his best mate in football.  Apparently he turned down top of the championship clubs to come here to play alongside his mate.

Money talks so if you blow the bank on wages it'll probably all count for Little, but we live in hope.

Excellent points.  No he wouldn't be THE player for us.  Aarons if fit would no doubt be first choice.

It's not disrespectful to say Newcastle are bonkers.  They have been.  Until now.

This season they are doing everything the right way.  If they had did it this way last season we would have been no where near a relegation spot never mind hardly ever leaving one.

Benitez has shown in the last 6 games how good our team could have been.  They have gotten better and better under him.  The players started to believe in the tactics and training and that is why we destroyed Spurs in the last game.

More or less that very same team will be playing against the teams in the championship next season with a couple of additions of top championship players.

2 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

9 minutes ago, The Mag said:

It would certainly be interesting with Tomlin on one side and Townsend on the other.  Most of us wanted Aarons to play but I guess it's a gamble we can't afford as he was injured a lot last season.

What is is personality like?  Would he be ok being a sub in some games?  He won't be guaranteed a starting place if Aarons is fit.

You took Rolando Aaron's from us as well as Andy Cole. 

18 minutes ago, The Mag said:

First off I would like to say good luck on next season except when you play us of course.  I always had a soft spot for you since we got Andy Cole off you.

Secondly, the comment I am going to make now seems like a WUM but it's not.  It's an honest opinion.

Newcastle are self sufficient, are going to hold onto most of their players and are even talking about taking out a bank loan (they don't currently have one) to add to the parachute payment for new players and to cover wages.

I don't see anybody being able to outbid them if they want a player.

There is also the draw of Rafa Benitez and playing in front of 50,000 each week.  I don't see anyone really competing with that.

Tomlinson is an experienced championship player and just what we need.  We have already sold Cabella, released Obertan and no doubt will sell Thauvin to a french club as he is getting MOM over there quite frequently but was to lightweight for the PL.  So I'm not surprised we are looking at wingers first.

The one thing that bugs me is the Rooney tweet.  If he did it against Bournemouth would he do it against us?

So is it worth playing a complete season's matches or shall we just promote you now? A bit of humility rather than abrasive arrogance might not go amiss but let's remind ourselves of the big boys who have at one time or another fallen further than the second tier at some time in their illustrious history.

Southampton, Norwich City, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Manchester City, West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City, Stoke City and while there are others that I will not list here, how about this one to finish with? Leicester City.

You may have shed loads of money to spend but it is still about eleven players a side. If the only thing that mattered was money, you would still be in the Prem with little AFC Bournemouth demoted straight back to Division Three.  

14 minutes ago, The Mag said:

No

• Admin
3 minutes ago, The Mag said:

Yeah i know, but since we got Cole I have looked out for your results.  That's what I meant.  That is when I developed a soft spot for you.  I like to keep an eye on your strikers too in case you have a new Cole ha ha

Then can you look away now please? There's nothing to see here. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So is it worth playing a complete season's matches or shall we just promote you now? A bit of humility rather than abrasive arrogance might not go amiss but let's remind ourselves of the big boys who have at one time or another fallen further than the second tier at some time in their illustrious history.

Southampton, Norwich City, Aston Villa, Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Manchester City, West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City, Stoke City and while there are others that I will not list here, how about this one to finish with? Leicester City.

You may have shed loads of money to spend but it is still about eleven players a side. If the only thing that mattered was money, you would still be in the Prem with little AFC Bournemouth demoted straight back to Division Three.  

It's not arrogance it is hope.  We are confident because of one reason and one reason only.  Rafa Benitez.

When we signed Mcclaren most of us said at the time that we could spend 500 million and we would still struggle.

Rafa is the first top manager we have had since Sir Bob and even though we are down now the whole city is buzzing.

If we still had Mcclaren I would fancy us to do a Leeds as would most toon supporters.

17 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

I refuse to believe this Rafa the saviour talk. He still failed to beat a relegated Villa.

Villa FFS.

I went to that game.  newcastle never had a chance to play.  It was stop start all of the time and the atmosphere was weird.  Most expected to lose to spurs and beat villa so that would have been 3 points.  Rafa got 4 out of the two games so he actually did better than most expected.

the difference under Benitez is amazing too.  Under Benitez we now have structure and play as a team rather than 11 individuals.  We always fancy our chances to win whereas with Mcclaren you could be 2-0 up and you would still expecvt the opposition to get something.

The easiest way to explain it is that under Benitez our internationals play like internationals.  Under Mcclaren a pub team could beat them.

16 minutes ago, The Mag said:

Who are the best teams you have played this season?

Personally I thought Brighton and Derby were the teams that looked like they had it 'right' this season, even more so than     'Boro and Burnley. But look where that got them, still playing little old us next season. 

Archived