IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

9 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I genuinely don't get the hostility here.  I can't help thinking people are reading far more into the guy's post than was actually there...  

I think people are reading too much into other people's posts too.

I was not talking about Mags' post, that's why I did not quote him.

I'm tired already of hearing how "Newcastle getting relegated is a good thing for them, Benitez is a hero, they can sign anyone they want, they will walk this league, Benitez can have his way with any Geordie lass" in the general context.

...and it's only May.

Thank god I don't have to hear Manish and Claridge bang on about it every week again. 

5 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

I'm tired already of hearing how "Newcastle getting relegated is a good thing for them, Benitez is a hero, they can sign anyone they want, they will walk this league, Benitez can have his way with any Geordie lass" in the general context.

...and it's only May.

Thank god I don't have to hear Manish and Claridge bang on about it every week again. 

i'm sure leeds thought like that.....

anyway I think of all the clubs coming down, newcastle is the only one that will go back up villa may well drop again I can see them being like fulham or bolton, norwich will get play-offs

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i'm sure leeds thought like that.....

anyway I think of all the clubs coming down, newcastle is the only one that will go back up villa may well drop again I can see them being like fulham or bolton, norwich will get play-offs

I think people underestimate villa they will be there or thereabouts. Lets not forget they will be getting at least two players back with championship experience in baker and robinson and they will be able to attract players better then most of the teams in our league.

59 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I think people underestimate villa they will be there or thereabouts. Lets not forget they will be getting at least two players back with championship experience in baker and robinson and they will be able to attract players better then most of the teams in our league.

I agree to an extent, but then you're also presuming that players will want to join a club, who let's be honest, seem a bit of a basket case at the moment.

I'm sure they will still be able to draw players in, but unless they get rid of the deadwood they've had this season, cut the wage bill a bit (many clubs have tried to go back up and failed) and move some players on I think they'll struggle. A team with that many "names" in it that can't be bothered is not good. I predict that if the bulk of that squad stays together, they will be finishing mid table at the best. Got to be honest I don't see the majority wanting to stick around anyway. They definitely didn't want to be there this year!!

I liked The Mag's posts too, thought they would add something to the forum. No doubt Newcastle are the big fish in our small pond again, compared with what they are used to. No disrespect to Burnley etc but it will be interesting to have some teams we think of as being 'Premiership' to play this season. Them and Villa will be everyone's cup final and they might not find life so easy. 

We talk a lot about players making the step up and difficulty adjusting, but I guess even though they might have the talent for some the step down can be hard. They have relegation on their cv too and with every other player bring 'up for it' against them it will sort out the men from the boys. Maybe though, like many of our players did, they will jump ship in the summer?

As for Tomlin, he could be THE hero here. But I'm not sure how Little fits into Lee's plans, and if it's a case of no Little no Tomlin there might be a few creases to smooth out yet.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

I agree to an extent, but then you're also presuming that players will want to join a club, who let's be honest, seem a bit of a basket case at the moment.

I'm sure they will still be able to draw players in, but unless they get rid of the deadwood they've had this season, cut the wage bill a bit (many clubs have tried to go back up and failed) and move some players on I think they'll struggle. A team with that many "names" in it that can't be bothered is not good. I predict that if the bulk of that squad stays together, they will be finishing mid table at the best. Got to be honest I don't see the majority wanting to stick around anyway. They definitely didn't want to be there this year!!

New regime and new owner (Assuming he gets FL approval... and lets face it they approve anyone) who is already promising a transfer kitty of £50 million.

I don't think attracting players will be a problem for Villa. I think it's more of a problem that they have been down the bottom for years and will be expected to bounce straight back up by their fans. They are used to losing and that is a difficult mentality to shift, add that the current divide between the players an the fans.

As for Newcastle, don't underestimate how big it would be if Benitez stays. If he does.... I would expect them to win the league at a canter,

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

no they won't villa are in a mess on and off the field They are hundreds of millions in debt (unless china write it off completely) full of poor players on 40 - 100k a week, they are laying off staff left right and center,

a Comparable team to villa at the moment is Bolton,

Villa squad needs a complete re-building process more so then ours when we got relegated

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

no they won't villa are in a mess on and off the field They are hundreds of millions in debt (unless china write it off completely) full of poor players on 40 - 100k a week, they are laying off staff left right and center,

Villa squad needs a complete re-building process more so then ours when we got relegated

Your view, but many teams who looked in a bad way have bounced back quickly and I certain wouldn't underestimate Villa's chances.  Nothing like Bolton who were in substantial financial trouble - almost insolvent.  Villa may have a new owner, a new manager and funds available through the enormous parachute payments.  I think we would write them off at our peril.

10 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

...and it's only May.

Well get used to it.

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Your view, but many teams who looked in a bad way have bounced back quickly and I certain wouldn't underestimate Villa's chances.  Nothing like Bolton who were in substantial financial trouble - almost insolvent.  Villa may have a new owner, a new manager and funds available through the enormous parachute payments.  I think we would write them off at our peril.

until there is proof that the new owners (it hasn't past the FL yet) have the funds I stand by what I say, 

Fulham had new owners come in when in the prem promised the world but delivered a 20th place finish one league below where they started, same with Blackburn, Leeds, Forest, Portsmouth, 

If history is anything to go by then new onwers isn't always a great option, 

Remember Learner has been trying to sell Villa now for 3 years, and suddenly when they have been relegated he found one quickly?

3 hours ago, RedM said:

As for Tomlin, he could be THE hero here. But I'm not sure how Little fits into Lee's plans, and if it's a case of no Little no Tomlin there might be a few creases to smooth out yet.

I would be pretty sure Little doesn't fit into Newcastle's plans!

And is Benitez definitely staying at Newcastle?

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

New regime and new owner (Assuming he gets FL approval... and lets face it they approve anyone) who is already promising a transfer kitty of £50 million.

I don't think attracting players will be a problem for Villa. I think it's more of a problem that they have been down the bottom for years and will be expected to bounce straight back up by their fans. They are used to losing and that is a difficult mentality to shift, add that the current divide between the players an the fans.

As for Newcastle, don't underestimate how big it would be if Benitez stays. If he does.... I would expect them to win the league at a canter,

I think with an ambitious and minted new owner, new players and a Manager who is likely to be Di Matteo or Pearson plus their huge fan base, Villa will make a swift return to the prem. I don't particularly like any clubs in that league but at least Villa fans aren't of the plastic variety.

Win a few matches and the fans will be back on side in a nano second.And for the first time in years, they'll actually have something to play for- a potent mix.

38 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think with an ambitious and minted new owner, new players and a Manager who is likely to be Di Matteo or Pearson plus their huge fan base, Villa will make a swift return to the prem. I don't particularly like any clubs in that league but at least Villa fans aren't of the plastic variety.

Win a few matches and the fans will be back on side in a nano second.And for the first time in years, they'll actually have something to play for- a potent mix.

I agree I think they will do well - But likewise if they lose a few of their opening games the fans will start to grumble and get on their backs.

A good start and they will be alright I reckon.

11 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I agree I think they will do well - But likewise if they lose a few of their opening games the fans will start to grumble and get on their backs.

A good start and they will be alright I reckon.

if the new owner is for real then maybe, but they have too much rebuilding work to do next season, think leeds in league one kind of rebuilding,

anyway their new owner is just like the gas's full of empty promises and hot air with no proof of funds, he could be a savoir or could turn out like portsmouths russian billionaire

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if the new owner is for real then maybe, but they have too much rebuilding work to do next season, think leeds in league one kind of rebuilding,

anyway their new owner is just like the gas's full of empty promises and hot air with no proof of funds, he could be a savoir or could turn out like portsmouths russian billionaire

Fair enough- you seem to know a bit more about it than me.

To be honest I'm just going off the optimism that some Villa mates are showing now Learner could be out the picture. I don't really know anything about the new potential owner!

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think I'm more aligned to @Monkeh's view, but much will depend on the what happens to the player ins / outs over the summer.  

If they keep and add a few, then of course they'll be a force.

If they don't, they'll have a tough job recruiting quality cost effectively.

On 19 May 2016 at 16:13, LondonBristolian said:

I genuinely don't get the hostility here.  I can't help thinking people are reading far more into the guy's post than was actually there...  

Isn't that what a forum is for, if we couldn't misinterpret posts where would the fun be :@)

On 18 May 2016 at 16:38, ORANGE500 said:

How much should City bid for Tomlin that's assuming he's in the managers plans I would think between 3-4 million would be a fair price as at Championship level he's probably as good as it gets.

If they are Interested need to make an early bid as you would think he will be attracting the interest of others , already heard Newcastle may bid £3 million if that's true I doubt City could compete with their salary package unfortunately.

You will have read Robbored's rather rude reply to your post. Don't be put off by this. Instead take it as a compliment. He's been rude to everyone on the forum at some stage, so you are now a fully fledged member and can wear the tee shirt. 

2 hours ago, cynic said:

And mine.

A half inch thick layer of fried batter with a skinny bit of spam inside.

Couple that with the suet puddings, pigs cheeks and trotters, chips cooked in lard (not all at the same time mind), and its a wonder I'm still alive and kicking. 

Anyway, on topic, I doubt that Tomlin is on that sort of diet....

I made suet dumplings the other day…:fear:

I'm sure Tomo only eats tofu…

22 hours ago, pongo88 said:

You will have read Robbored's rather rude reply to your post. Don't be put off by this. Instead take it as a compliment. He's been rude to everyone on the forum at some stage, so you are now a fully fledged member and can wear the tee shirt. 

In fairness Robbored wasn't being rude but just his normal self.  You must make allowances for people of his age.

If we could get him for say £2.5m and give a decent signing fee I think we're in with a chance. He knows how much he's loved here so it would be up to lj  to build a team around him. He would be much more appreciated at a team like us to the likes of a Derby and definitely get more game time.

52 minutes ago, elruli said:

If we could get him for say £2.5m and give a decent signing fee I think we're in with a chance. He knows how much he's loved here so it would be up to lj  to build a team around him. He would be much more appreciated at a team like us to the likes of a Derby and definitely get more game time.

I think that`s the key TBH. He seemed genuinely made up at how we all thought of him and did say he`d never felt as wanted by fans before. I think stuff like that means more than some other things to some players.

4 hours ago, cynic said:

And mine.

A half inch thick layer of fried batter with a skinny bit of spam inside.

Couple that with the suet puddings, pigs cheeks and trotters, chips cooked in lard (not all at the same time mind), and its a wonder I'm still alive and kicking. 

Anyway, on topic, I doubt that Tomlin is on that sort of diet....

I still take Bath Chap (pigs cheek) to my relatives in London as they can't get it there.

Did you ever try Chitterlings?

• Admin

How it is being reported in Bournemouth:

Championship side Fulham are reportedly interested in partnering Cherries duo Lee Tomlin and Glenn Murray together at Craven Cottage next season according to reports.

AFC Bournemouth only signed the pair during the summer of 2015.

Lee Tomlin made the move to the south coast from Middlesbrough for a fee in the region of £3million, whilst Glenn Murray had been a long term transfer target and signed for the Cherries from Crystal Palace for a round £4million.

Tomlin spent just five months on the coast before joining Bristol City on loan.

Tomlin had struggled to settle in the first team on a regular basis and made just six appearances in the Premier League including three starts.

Prior to the move to Bristol the midfielder posted on Twitter...

'A lot of speculation about my future over the past week i don't even know what's happening myself if I'll be allowed to leave or not

And for me my dream is to play in the premier league as long as I can but if I'm not wanted then I'll leave 

The posts were later deleted and when questioned about the incident, AFC Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe told the Daily Echo...

'We will be dealing with Lee internally. He is obviously frustrated at not playing. It is not a huge issue for me, but clearly we would rather he kept his frustrations in house.' 

According to the Bristol Post, Tomlin's agent Will Salterhouse 'was immediately asked to find the player another club' and a loan move to Bristol City for the rest of the season was completed very quickly.

Despite the apparent fall out, in February Tomlin told the Bristol Post...

'...I just needed to get games and, now that is happening, I'm hoping I can impress Eddie Howe and get another chance back at Bournemouth...'

Tomlin became somewhat of a fan favourite with some sections of the Bristol City support.

He joined on the 30th January with Bristol City 22nd in the Championship on 24 points.

Tomlin played 18 times, scoring 6 goals, including in wins against Charlton, Fulham, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield.

According to the Bristol Post...

'Bristol City's hopes of signing loan star Lee Tomlin are receding after the Bournemouth man was linked with possible moves to big-spending Championship rivals Fulham and Newcastle United.

The report added...

'Tomlin is believed to earn £30,000 a week at Dean Court...'

A move to recently relegated Premier League side Newcastle United would enable Tomlin to return to the north east, whilst a move to Fulham could see him partner Glenn Murray, who is also a transfer target.

The 32 year old enjoyed a reasonably good first half of the season on the south coast, he scored against both Watford and Manchester City when he made his first full starts for the Cherries and went on to make 10 appearances and scored his third of the season in the historical win over Premier League champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

But following that goal, Murray made just 9 further appearances, with his last against Watford in February. 

The Evening Standard have suggested that...

'...the Cherries are understood to be prepared to let him go on a free.

'Fulham, who had their transfer embargo lifted this week, would take on his £30,000-a-week wages.

Archived