IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

you win a fiver NI

Just to tie in with another thread, Beryl Fudge told me this joke in my Coach 2 days. Even Beryl wouldn't travel on coach 1!!! Apparently it was a joke that Terry Cooper told her. 

18 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

How can you say that with such certainty? Do you have inside knowledge? I think as others have said, we've got a decent chance.

Barrs Court Red is in Oldland Common. Therefore he is correct in his statement ".....he won't end up here".

Most footballers don't really want to end up in Oldland Common. Apart from skeletor who began there.

FACT

13 minutes ago, cynic said:

Well, he did himself no favours at Bournemouth did he, 3 starts and 3 subs and falling out with the manager big time..

At Boro he had 41 starts and 15 subs

Vast majority of his career has been at Peterbrough (120 starts 15 subs) and Rushden (100 starts and 56 subs).

Very good player for us and I hope we can get him to sign but, IMO, he's not as sought after as some may think.

That's a fair point....he hasn't played much at the top end of the Championship, only really for Middlesbrough, two struggling seasons with Peterborough at this level.  Let's hope he's not as sought after, but his performances for us will have made more teams sit up and take notice.

If I were a betting man, I reckon another club will be able to offer him more than us.

I'm torn on this one. Should we pay the 3m (ish) and smash our wage cap, or invest in cheaper younger options ? 

Bringing him in would certainly make the championship sit up I guess. 

I still don't know how the club plan to move forward on this(generally). But sure we will not make the fxxx ups we made in last years transfer window 

i don't think we will have to wait too long to see the clubs intensions

Yes, Tomlin would be a good signing but there are better and cheaper if our folks are doing their stuff and casting their net widely and intelligently as I am convinced they are

In final analysis it is a team game and it is up to the coaches to mould a group into success, and I remain confident Lee will achieve this.  Let others risk stupid money whilst we remain true to our stated approach to gain and the maintain promotion

39 minutes ago, cynic said:

I hope you are correct, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we have similar issues.

As LJ said "I'm shocked by the figures involved in the Championship".

Well, I'm shocked that he is shocked and a bit concerned by that remark..

I'm fully behind him, but it shows his inexperience at this level - at least he has Mark Ashton to take the flak if it goes tits up.

I'm not so shocked, given that SL said exactly the same after the first game last season. It suggests an extraordinary incompetence and that we have learned nothing since then. Do we really not research the fees and wages paid in the Championship? Was it not obvious, to someone in SL's line of business especially, that the ever-increasing riches of the PL and the coming increase in parachute payments would have an inflationary effect in the Championship?

If it's not incompetence (hardly a new feature at Ashton Gate) perhaps, along with LJ feeling the need to tell us how many hours he and MA are putting in, it is the first step in preparing us for a similar outcome to last year?

36 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes, Tomlin would be a good signing but there are better and cheaper if our folks are doing their stuff and casting their net widely and intelligently as I am convinced they are

In final analysis it is a team game and it is up to the coaches to mould a group into success, and I remain confident Lee will achieve this.  Let others risk stupid money whilst we remain true to our stated approach to gain and the maintain promotion

Do you have anyone in mind who will be cheaper and better?  I suspect there are several, but very few, if any come with a better guarantee.

You might need to buy 3 at £1-1.5m, and hope one comes off.  I think it would be a major stroke of luck to get Dack and get him perform at Tomlin's level of last season's loan.

Only my view.

We are either going to get him as our marquee (hate that word) signing, or we are gonna stick with the stated policy.  Having had LT here, I don't think one major (not you Major) signing if it were him would rock the boat Wight he rest of the squad.

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you have anyone in mind who will be cheaper and better?  I suspect there are several, but very few, if any come with a better guarantee.

You might need to buy 3 at £1-1.5m, and hope one comes off.  I think it would be a major stroke of luck to get Dack and get him perform at Tomlin's level of last season's loan.

Only my view.

We are either going to get him as our marquee (hate that word) signing, or we are gonna stick with the stated policy.  Having had LT here, I don't think one major (not you Major) signing if it were him would rock the boat Wight he rest of the squad.

Exactly. It would be an extreme gamble buying someone else with the expectation they will bring at least what Lee Tomlin did. Best bet would be foreign but that's very risky to assume they'll fit right in. We need to have exceptions and Tomlin should be on of those we are willing to pay more for. 

Like Davefevs I think there are quite a few young Tomlins out there.  Where they are is why we have MA and our scouting set-up here and abroad.  The secret for clubs like us is to up our recruitment game, not to throw unsustainable amounts of money, or, like last summer, aim ridiculously high.  Interestingly I am not over impressed by the performance last season of those players linked to us last summer on high transfers and high wages.

11 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Is this some kind of internet slang?? Has he gone a bit Norwich? whats that mean... he bats and bowls??

Putts from the rough??? what??

the blokes at work used to shout Norwich! before they went home…should've been spelt with a K

2 hours ago, Ashton1 said:

I'm torn on this one. Should we pay the 3m (ish) and smash our wage cap, or invest in cheaper younger options ? 

Bringing him in would certainly make the championship sit up I guess. 

I still don't know how the club plan to move forward on this(generally). But sure we will not make the fxxx ups we made in last years transfer window 

i don't think we will have to wait too long to see the clubs intensions

With the ridiculous bids made last Summer for Gray and Gayle, surely a Tomlin bid isn't too ludicrous. We need to strike the right balance between UK and overseas players; plenty of BPL reserves would make the grade and are hungry enough for game time to make the step down.

19 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Is this some kind of internet slang?? Has he gone a bit Norwich? whats that mean... he bats and bowls??

Putts from the rough??? what??

I was reminded just last week of the meaning of putting NORWICH at the end of a love letter (remember those!?)

Nickers
Off
Ready
When
I
Come
Home

Maybe Mrs Tomlin got a bit frisky when she was out and let Lee know his luck was in upon her impending arrival back at Chez Tomlin.....

21 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I was reminded just last week of the meaning of putting NORWICH at the end of a love letter (remember those!?)

Nickers
Off
Ready
When
I
Come
Home

Maybe Mrs Tomlin got a bit frisky when she was out and let Lee know his luck was in upon her impending arrival back at Chez Tomlin.....

Funnily enough i very nearly posted the same. My inspiration coming from one of the live Bottom shows. That was only time i had heard it, didn't realise it was a letter sign of like SWALK.

35 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Funnily enough i very nearly posted the same. My inspiration coming from one of the live Bottom shows. That was only time i had heard it, didn't realise it was a letter sign of like SWALK.

Oddly, SWALK was how the conversation started, Gaz! HOLLAND was also mentioned.....remember that one?

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Oddly, SWALK was how the conversation started, Gaz! HOLLAND was also mentioned.....remember that one?

Had to Google that one mate!

Found a whole load of them, i had no idea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_postal_acronyms

LOWESTOFT being a personal highlight from that list. We were a horny bunch during WW2 eh!

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 17:00, Norn Iron said:

Very true Riley.  No one on this thread, or any other within  OTIB, would deliberately misconstrue another post purely to gain a cheap laugh! 

I now have this picture of Lindisfarne members waiting to greet Paul Gascoigne somewhere on the touchline of a football pitch. 

Anyone else feeling strangely nostalgic for the horrendous 60/70s East End toilets matchday experience....? 

'We should get together we can have a wee wee we can have a wet on the wall...'

' The fog in the bog is all mine all mine, the fog in the bogig is all mine..... ' (dont forget to wipe yer hands on your scarf/Ben Sherman/Brutus shirt before buying yer pies though eh lads ?  ... No excuses for poor hygiene!)  ... 

Meet me on the corner when the floodlights are coming on, and I'll be there..... 

32 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I hate threads like this. Starts off with a made up "rumour" and then descends into nonsense. 

Quite right , they should all start off as nonsense.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You might need to buy 3 at £1-1.5m, and hope one comes off.  I think it would be a major stroke of luck to get Dack and get him perform at Tomlin's level of last

We are either going to get him as our marquee (hate that word) signing, or we argonna stick with the stated policy.  Having had LT here, I don't think one major (not you Major) signing if it were him would rock the boat Wight he rest of the squad.

You're doing it on purpose now .'

• Admin

Top earner = 11k

Tomlin = 27k

Im not sure that's ever going to work. Completely happy to be proved wrong though.

Last season's actual cap was thought to be around 15k though. I expect this has been raised to £20k with the extra capacity this season.

Now we are only £7k away.

Fee rumoured to be only £1.5m when most thought it would take £2.5m.

£1m saving done as a signing fee over a 3 year contract is £6400/week.

A bonus or two for achievements and this looks possible.

All conjecture of course.

Now in the right thread ;) 

Archived