IGNORED

Ambition

dragonreds

I was in London yesterday morning and was having a pint at the Victoria  before coming home with the Crystal Palace fans.

It got me thinking wouldn't it be great for us to do something great. 

With the new ground in terms of size we are on a par with the likes of Palace Swansea Stoke etc.

Financialy we are miles behind but who knows one day maybe.

At the times those club's were promoted we weren't miles behind financialy . We just seem to take one step forward and two steps back where as other similar sized clubs seem to go forward.

It's a strange one and its hard to put your finger exactly why this happens.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

At the times those club's were promoted we weren't miles behind financialy . We just seem to take one step forward and two steps back where as other similar sized clubs seem to go forward.

Exactly, wasn't there a time when Palace were in admin or very close to it, and yet somehow they avoided relegation and continued to push on and on, whereas we seem to repeat the same things.

Here's hoping the stadium regeneration brings a new level of deliverance.

22 minutes ago, dragonreds said:

I was in London yesterday morning and was having a pint at the Victoria  before coming home with the Crystal Palace fans.

With the new ground in terms of size we are on a par with the likes of Palace Swansea Stoke etc.

I posted on here some time ago a comparison with Stoke.

Both are provincial cities with two clubs, the better of which has red & white colours. August 76 Stoke were City's first home opponents in Division 1 and since then both clubs fell away. In 2000 the clubs met again at Wembley in the JPT equivalent final. 2002 Stoke were promoted and five years later, City were promoted.

Since then, Stoke have become an established premiership club, whereas City.................

There is no secret formula, no 5 step guide to premier league football. You get there by your players on the pitch beating the other players on the pitch more than the teams below you. So there is only one way of getting promoted.... recruit the right players. Doesn't matter how many suits you have behind the scenes. Just get the players right.

Successful clubs who sustain that success pay as much attention to the off the pitch staff as to those on it.

This lumping and denigration of non players as 'suits' doesn't cut the custard for me.  The club need to be on fire in every department, and I believe we are now nearer to getting there than ever before.

COYR

34 minutes ago, Just Brett said:

There is no secret formula, no 5 step guide to premier league football. You get there by your players on the pitch beating the other players on the pitch more than the teams below you. So there is only one way of getting promoted.... recruit the right players. Doesn't matter how many suits you have behind the scenes. Just get the players right.

Not true. The two aren't mutually exclusive - look at all the 'small' clubs that are now established prem clubs (Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, Leicester) - they've all got the infrastructure right (and recruited plenty of analysts, CEO's, recruitment staff etc that people on here would call 'suits'). Get the off the pitch right - (training, recruitment, analysis etc) and it makes it far easier to be successful.

On the other hand you have clubs like Blackpool - more 'old school' (and people on here would be pleased to know there's far fewer suits) and look at them now.

48 minutes ago, 22A said:

I posted on here some time ago a comparison with Stoke.

Both are provincial cities with two clubs, the better of which has red & white colours. August 76 Stoke were City's first home opponents in Division 1 and since then both clubs fell away. In 2000 the clubs met again at Wembley in the JPT equivalent final. 2002 Stoke were promoted and five years later, City were promoted.

Since then, Stoke have become an established premiership club, whereas City.................

Stoke is a great example. We were  so close together for most of Stoke's promotion season. While they are not my favourite club, they have done extremely well in consolidating their Premier League status. Whereas we took s massive step backwards before ending up back where we were.

Hopefully we can start putting things right as I don't think we are far off being a top end Championship side, we need to ensure a top half finish next season to show we are here to stay, before making a big push for the PL.

No harm in ambition and learning from those that succeed, but plenty of examples of clubs who've gone the other way... which is mathematically inevitable given every position in the pyramid can only be filled by... one team! I.e. think our performance in recent years has been no better than average (and maybe a bit worse, albeit all we've really done is replicate history: 2nd/3rd tier), but we need to bring Coventry, Portsmouth, Sheff United into the equation, as well as Stoke, Southampton and Bournemouth to get a fair reflection of our performance?

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Over the last three years we have improved our league position every year, including a promotion into a higher division, we've transformed our stadium from a near-Victorian relic into a 21st century arena, we have recruited increasingly good players, and we are now well set to establish ourselves as a Championship club and perhaps beyond. Where exactly are the two steps back during that period?

1 hour ago, Just Brett said:

Yep...spot on...didn't Brian Clough once say 'football is a simple game complicated by idiots'.....??

2 hours ago, dragonreds said:

It's not ambition we are short of, it is (or has been) football know-how, or savvy. The well-meaning old chaps running this club always get found out at this level (1976 aside). All of the suggested obstacles to this club reaching the top again (football backwater, apathy, rugby area, lack of funds etc etc) applied equally to Swansea. Swansea have driven a coach and horses through all that nonsense. Those are excuses, letting those responsible off the hook, not reasons why we have failed.

With the ground modernised, what do we not have that Swansea had 6 years ago? Time to: Make progress, or make (more) excuses.

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep...spot on...didn't Brian Clough once say 'football is a simple game complicated by idiots'.....??

Doesn't apply anymore really, sports science, analysis, business connections and sponsorships etc are just as important and conducive to the more simplistic sides of the game.

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

It's how we've been run behind the scenes. Hopefully that seems to be changing. 

The key for me it Team sprint both on and off the pitch. 12 months ago we had it after years of having problems off of the field. 

One bad apple will rot the whole barrel. Recruitment this summer is key we must bring in players that will add on the pitch but not cause problems off of it. 

Team bonding preseason is key and can not be understated how important it will be. 

The manager needs to sale the vision of the club to prospective players and how the club will help progress their careers. 

We also need to pay the correct level of wages for the league but this is distorted by premier league parachute payment making it hard to attract the best players. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Over the last three years we have improved our league position every year, including a promotion into a higher division, we've transformed our stadium from a near-Victorian relic into a 21st century arena, we have recruited increasingly good players, and we are now well set to establish ourselves as a Championship club and perhaps beyond. Where exactly are the two steps back during that period?

i think its plainly obvious I'm not basing my comments over just the last three years.

That being said this season has been a bit of a shambles at times.

If you want to see fewer and fewer kids in the city wearing Premier league shirts, the only way BCFC can make this happen is to be pushing for promotion to the Premier League/yoyo-ing between Championship and Premier League or a solid Premier League outfit. When this happens I can see the club slowly becoming formidable such as the likes of Stoke, Leicester, Southampton and so on! But most kids only want to be associated with winning, successful teams like the usual Premier League suspects.

And 'the kids' are obviously the future of the club.

6 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Successful clubs who sustain that success pay as much attention to the off the pitch staff as to those on it.

This lumping and denigration of non players as 'suits' doesn't cut the custard for me.  The club need to be on fire in every department, and I believe we are now nearer to getting there than ever before.

Absolutely spot on.

Although long overdue SL has at long last begun to employ people with a deep knowledge of the football industry and yet some fans can't see past the "suits" tag. 

Now I'll freely admit that I have used the term "suits" in a derogatory manner previously aimed at those invisable "suits" within the City heiracy whose role was complete mystery to most of us.

In recent times Mr Charisma has shaken things up and seemingly streamlined the staffing structure within AG and e now we have a young up and coming manager and top head scout with numerous national and international contacts.

If the ins and outs over the summer pan out then that "feel good factor" could be on its way back to AG.

4 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

i think its plainly obvious I'm not basing my comments over just the last three years.

That being said this season has been a bit of a shambles at times.

Fair enough - it just read a bit like "same old story" as if it applied now. I hope this time, with infrastructure we have put in place, things are different.

Archived