IGNORED

Safe level of banana consumption

I am aware there has been a high level of concern on the forum recently about what is a safe level of banana consumption.

I am always here to help, so have spoken to a dietician at Kings College London, to clear up any possible confusion.

Lots of you are concerned about potassium poisoning. As bananas are rich in potassium, this appears to have caused some confusion. For example, I think I can recall a degree of panic  being caused by Collis1 claiming 7 bananas could be lethal.

Well. Catherine Collins (at Kings College) has reassured me that - in fact - you would need to eat around 400 bananas in one sitting to potentially provide enough potassium to kill a human.

This is not an invitation to try to eat 400 bananas all at once to prove me wrong (in any case, most fruit stalls / medium sized super markets do not stock this many bananas). However - there is no need to be 'scared to reach for the fruit bowl'.

Enjoy your fruit.

;)

Uncle TFR

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for the info TFR but as I only eat one banana a day with my breakfast cereal I'm pretty safe.......:shifty:

Breakfast cereal??

Eating that shyte is like crossing the M25 blindfolded.

Sugar = death.

Why do you care about your own wellbeing so little?

I suggest nothing but fresh fruit until midday (apart from pure unadulterated water). Steam all other foods, including at least five portions of vegetables. Vegetables are even more important to your diet than fruit.

Many idiots do not understand this. It's not just about fruit.

And DON'T overdo the raw vegetables. If YOU were a stomach, would you want to try and digest raw bloody carrot and broccoli every day? No you would not. So don't inflict it on you tummy.

Everything else in moderation.

Alcohol is fine. Stick to the government advice. Have at least three alcohol free days each week. And ...... FFS ........ don't have all 14 units in one sitting.

Jes'.

:disapointed2se:

Uncle TFR

29 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Breakfast cereal??

Eating that shyte is like crossing the M25 blindfolded.

Sugar = death.

Why do you care about your own wellbeing so little?

I suggest nothing but fresh fruit until midday (apart from pure unadulterated water). Steam all other foods, including at least five portions of vegetables. Vegetables are even more important to your diet than fruit.

Many idiots do not understand this. It's not just about fruit.

And DON'T overdo the raw vegetables. If YOU were a stomach, would you want to try and digest raw bloody carrot and broccoli every day? No you would not. So don't inflict it on you tummy.

Everything else in moderation.

Alcohol is fine. Stick to the government advice. Have at least three alcohol free days each week. And ...... FFS ........ don't have all 14 units in one sitting.

Jes'.

:disapointed2se:

Uncle TFR

Am I okay eating just Toffee apples, cider with a broccoli and carrot dip?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I always have Special K with red berries with sliced banana on top but without sugar. I use semi skimmed milk.......

Special K is only special for the number of lives it has ruined.

I suggest an organic granola instead. You can buy this is something called a 'shop'.

The semi skimmed milk is OK, but I'd rather you used organic natural yoghurt.

Banana's are good, but some local berries are better. Add a few fresh nuts and you are there.

Uncle TFR

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Am I okay eating just Toffee apples, cider with a broccoli and carrot dip?

Toffee = sugar = :death:

Apples are good. On this basis, or you remove the toffee, and give it to Colin, all is well.

Cider is also OK, but no more than 14 units a week. Not all in one go, and with three Cider-free days a week.

Dips, frankly, are for shirt-lifters. If you must, organic humus, and the veg is OK. Just don't overdo the raw stuff too much. God invented steamers for a reason.

Other food groups are available.

Uncle TFR

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Toffee = sugar = :death:

Apples are good. On this basis, or you remove the toffee, and give it to Colin, all is well.

Cider is also OK, but no more than 14 units a week. Not all in one go, and with three Cider-free days a week.

Dips, frankly, are for shirt-lifters. If you must, organic humus, and the veg is OK. Just don't overdo the raw stuff too much. God invented steamers for a reason.

Other food groups are available.

Uncle TFR

Oh I thought toffee was just pretend sugar. I'll have to cost my apples with fudge instead.

I like a bit of dipping.  You've ruined my day.

I'm off to chew on a radish

Does she know how much scrumpy you can drink before going blind ? I am finding it harder to poor accurately nowadays (none of this uncouth drinking from containers), I am guessing it's due to my deteriorated eyesight - though these hairy palms are not helping with grip either.

18 hours ago, Fiale said:

Does she know how much scrumpy you can drink before going blind ? I am finding it harder to poor accurately nowadays (none of this uncouth drinking from containers), I am guessing it's due to my deteriorated eyesight - though these hairy palms are not helping with grip either.

The link between masturbation and scrumpy has never been proven.

We don't know which turns you blind the quickest.

I suggest you hedge your bets and give up one of them.

;)

Uncle TFR

17 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

:banana: x 400 = :death:

There is always one, isn't there, who takes everything completely literally?

You don't die at the end of the 400th banana.

It's the level of potassium. It depends on how much potassium is in the crop, how big the banana's are, etc. 

It's not quite like alcohol, where there 'is no safe level', but it could be the 376th banana that kills you, or the 409th.

I'll tell you what? If we all chip in, we can get Collis1 500 bananas, and take it in turns to sit and watch over him?

In the mean-time, 'behave'.

Uncle TFR

18 hours ago, TRL said:

Oh I thought toffee was just pretend sugar. I'll have to cost my apples with fudge instead.

I like a bit of dipping.  You've ruined my day.

I'm off to chew on a radish

Chew the radish at least 50 times before swallowing.

Uncle TFR

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Always? .....

..definately sounds like you're a pretty 'regular' guy in that case then Robbo !

Well, 5 or 6 days a week. I usually have a massive fry up brunch if City at home.......and yeah, I am a "regular" guy..

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

There is always one, isn't there, who takes everything completely literally?

You don't die at the end of the 400th banana.

It's the level of potassium. It depends on how much potassium is in the crop, how big the banana's are, etc. 

It's not quite like alcohol, where there 'is no safe level', but it could be the 376th banana that kills you, or the 409th.

I'll tell you what? If we all chip in, we can get Collis1 500 bananas, and take it in turns to sit and watch over him?

In the mean-time, 'behave'.

Uncle TFR

There is always 'one' ain't there Unk...

So here's another one. I was being specific. Dancing bananas kill. Regular bananas I wouldn't have a clue. But a dancing banana would definitely do you in through sheer shock rather than consumption. 

:banana:

10 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

There is always 'one' ain't there Unk...

So here's another one. I was being specific. Dancing bananas kill. Regular bananas I wouldn't have a clue. But a dancing banana would definitely do you in through sheer shock rather than consumption.

:banana:

...pretty convincing argument there Septic regarding the possible dangers of GM foods, I dont think we should proceed down the GM route until we've successfully straightened this banana thing out. 

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:59, Taxi for Rennie said:

- you would need to eat around 400 bananas in one sitting to potentially provide enough potassium to kill a human.

Uncle TFR

Ok, I had better cut back then

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Ok, I had better cut back then

No. Keep going.

I've got a few bananas you can have, and there are several 100 that were stockpiled for that Gorilla they shot dead in America.

As an aside / thread creep; does this mean the gun laws in America are suddenly a GOOD thing?

:blink:

Uncle TFR

Archived