IGNORED

England vs Portugal

BRISTOL86

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

reminds me of watching Team GB at the olympics…god it gets boring after half an hour 

Oh I don't know, amongst a few tickets I had were court side at the Beach Volleyball....now that was very good on the eye indeed....

12 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

But the Premier league is the best in the world...........  So we're constantly told by the marketing men!!

The marketing men are right - I'd rather watch premier league than any other and so would the rest of the world by the looks of it!

5 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I hope that goal doesnt cover up such an abject performance.

It will by Woy.

"A good team performance and the right result"

This has reminded me why I wasn't looking forward to the Euros. 

This perfectly sums up an England tournament performance. Play like this and we will really struggle to break down anyone. Suddenly Russia, Wales and Slovakia are looking worrying

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

All these players get carried week in week out by good foreign players in there club sides,take these good players out of the equation and this is what you get.

They done alright against the world champions in their back yard recently, 

People just can't wait to criticise this England team! It's like they watch it to do just that.

Yes it was a poor game but against a team who had a man sent off and were happy to sit the remaining 10 men behind the ball was always going to be boring. It was like watching a practice game at times but it's another win.

Add to that the fact that even without Ronaldo Portugal are a strong team with very good players.

Biggest concern for me tonight was Vardy and Kane being pushed wide when both need to be played down the middle. For me I would go with...

Hart

Walker Smalling Cahill Rose

Rooney Dier Milner/Wilshire

Alli

Vary Kane

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

People just can't wait to criticise this England team! It's like they watch it to do just that.

Yes it was a poor game but against a team who had a man sent off and we're happy to sit the remaining 10 men behind the ball was always going to be boring. It was like watching a practice game at times but it's another win.

Add to that the fact that even without Ronaldo Portugal are a strong team with very good players.

Biggest concern for me tonight was Vardy and Kane being pushed wide when both need to be played down the middle. For me I would go with...

Hart

Alli

Vary Kane

I'm usually one to stick up for the national team but that second half was awful.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were saying on radio today - our starting line up for first game of Euro 2004 (v France) was

James, Gary Neville, King, Campbell, Ashley Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes , Rooney Owen 

Still keep thinking - if we can't do it with that side !! 

To think Rio was at home because of missing his drugs test, John Terry hadn't yet got in the team and carragher couldn't get anywhere near it.... To have those options in defence now.....

The thing about the "golden generation"  was that even though they always seemed to play badly they pretty much guaranteed quarter finals because individually they were good and the defence was up there with the best in the world.....If only they had ever bothered to play well as a team.

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yes it was a poor game but against a team who had a man sent off and were happy to sit the remaining 10 men behind the ball was always going to be boring. It was like watching a practice game at times but it's another win.

Hart

Alli

Vary Kane

The performance was absolutely dire, and that's being very kind

6 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

To think Rio was at home because of missing his drugs test, John Terry hadn't yet got in the team and carragher couldn't get anywhere near it.... To have those options in defence now.....

The thing about the "golden generation"  was that even though they always seemed to play badly they pretty much guaranteed quarter finals because individually they were good and the defence was up there with the best in the world.....If only they had ever bothered to play well as a team.

Heard Dean Ashton saying how clicky and splintered the England Squad was when he was called up - Man Utd group , Chelsea group , Liverpool group - and how the groups kept in their groups so lacked any team idea and also said some of the senior players didn't speak to him at all in the time he was in the squad !

Singled out Tony Adams and Jamie Redknapp as the only two who spoke & welcomed him !

11 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Dreadful. Absolutely clueless. No idea of how to breakdown a defence. 

Walker was the best attacking player. I wonder if Woy is already regretting  not taking Townsend.

Prob not as townsend isn't very good.

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Heard Dean Ashton saying how clicky and splintered the England Squad was when he was called up - Man Utd group , Chelsea group , Liverpool group - and how the groups kept in their groups so lacked any team idea and also said some of the senior players didn't speak to him at all in the time he was in the squad !

Singled out Tony Adams and Jamie Redknapp as the only two who spoke & welcomed him !

Yeah I've read how at 2010 wc there was an even bigger split because of Terry losing the captains arm band and it ending up with Gerrard. 

Pathetic really.

The media reckoned the rivalry between barca and real Madrid held Spain back for years until the players got past it. Hopefully England can learn from that.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Prob not as townsend isn't very good.

Maybe, but he hasn't any competition in our wingless wonders team. 

Classic 'we haven't a clue what to do next' when our attempt to drive it through the middle failed. 

I really enjoyed the game tonight....seriously.  This was a better run out than a normal friendly, because Portugal ended up adopting tournament style, men behind the ball etc.  Frustrating at times, in fact most of the time, but we showed when we press we can get the ball back against technically good teams.  I do wish we'd pressed a bit earlier in second half...we gave them 15 minutes to knock it about.  After that we made their keeper kick it, which played into our hands, stretched the three lines, and gradually we wore down Danilo, who started to lose his discipline and with it Portugal's shape.  Enter first Wilshere and Sterling, to find pockets between the lines, but initially without finding the right pass.  Then Lallana (on the back of a much improved level of performance under Klopp) who did some nice things.

We didn't create much, but we won a game against a team we haven't beaten in at least 10 attempts.  I don't care t was only 1-0.  I don't care it was against 10 men.  So often friendlies for England at Wembley are spoiled by the opposition playing cynically, wasting time without the ref doing anything about.  (Tonight's ref, refereed the game to the laws).  We then try to do the same in tourneys and refs penalise us.

Infividually, Walker aside, we weren't great, but we didn't look like conceding, which was pleasing.  I think the back 4 have played themselves into the starting defence next week.

Dier in front of them gives a solid base.

Milner won't start.  And despite my high praise for Alli, I wonder whether a full season has caught up with him at the wrong time.  Seems to have lost a bit of spark.  Pains me to say it, but I think Kane has too....which worries me because he us the only one who can play up top on his own.

I can no longer predict the front 6 (apart from Dier), maybe the personnel, but not the positions.

This will have lowered expectations too, we were starting to get ahead of ourselves.

Portugal are above us in the world rankings but they didn't manage a single effort on target against us tonight. It may not have been pretty going forward but the team did at least look more solid defensively. A clean sheet and a win against the team ranked 8th in the world - there have been many worse evenings following England in the last few years.

All that said, I can't help but feel that if we come up against Portugal again in the knockout stage in three weeks (with Ronaldo back in their side) it could be a very different story  

As a side note, how annoying is the Mexican wave? Worse still, everyone else in my block at Wembley tonight joined in with it each time it came around. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Hart

Alli

Vary Kane

Thank goodness i found someone on the same wavelength! So depressing listening to "fans" analyse England games. Doomed before they even step on the pitch because no matter who plays, no matter what happens we are always 1 game away from a public slaughter from the fans.

Portugal stuck 10 men behind the ball and made absolutely no attempt to attack. They were time wasting in the first ******* half! I'd be far more worried if I was a Portugal fan than and England fan, they are a 1 man team and they sit above us in the rankings. If we get to the last 16/ QF and face Portugal again I'll be confident, even with Ronaldo. At least he'd attack and give us some space to exploit.

Key things that stick out for me from tonight

Roy is not going to come out and publically criticise his team 1 week before the tournament starts. Why anyone would want him to is beyond me. Anything that needs to be said will be done so privately and the media will get a generic "positive spin" interview.

For spells we showed we can press a technically good team and win the ball back from them. We also rattled a few of their players into losing their discipline - Danillo for example.

The defence looked better. Walker had a good game, and although its mostly down to Portugals style of play we were never troubled. A clean sheet was definitely needed.

Roy probably does know his starting 11, shape etc. Again, why would he tell everyone this publically? it's not for the media to know. 

Regardless of what all us fans think, there is a reason we arent paid to manage a football team. Has there ever been a manager for any club/nation that has always picked the team/shape etc that every fan has been happy with? No. So why will the England manager be any different? What ever he picks there will be a vocal set of fans / media gurus that dont agree. Yet he is the man that sees these players day in day out and is in the best position to pick a team. Let him do it!!

Finally, someone else mentioned it, the backing these lads are going to get in France from the proper fans is going to help massively.

We arent going to win the euros. We probably wont even get near the semis unless we get a really kind draw (first KO game against switzerland/romania etc and then Portugal would be nice) but we will get out of the group and all we can do is just support the team and get behind the players that get picked. So boring reading all this negative shit after every England game.

8 hours ago, Rob k said:

They done alright against the world champions in their back yard recently, 

Friendly games when absolutely nothing is at stake are different than major tournaments. Our record at these tournaments are pretty pathetic. One semi final 'ever' in tournaments played abroad.

Archived