IGNORED

Jaap Stam new Reading manager

BS4 on Tour...

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...interesting one. Immense defender, been assistant at Ajax, but the Championship is an eye opener for a new manager as so many have found...

Other Dutchmen have done well over here. Koeman is an obvious example. The way in which the Dutch are developed as footballers is a great system

It's an interesting appointment - could go either way.  I remember people thought Sheffield Wednesday had dropped a clanger in getting rid of the ultra-dependable but unspectacular Stuart Gray and replacing him with Carlos Carvahal and look how that turned out.  But then people also thought Brentford were nuts to get rid of Mark Warburton and it turned out they were right.  So who knows?

But Jaap Stam was someone I was intrigued by when he was an outsider in the betting for City.  If he's learned at Ajax then he's learned from the best.  If I was a betting man I'd say they'll finish higher rather than lower than they did last season; 

Let's hope Jaap carries on in the tradition of his 1999 CL final team mates who have thus far also made it into head coaching/management: Gary Neville, Ollie Gunnar thingmybob, Teddy Sheringham. They clearly all learned so much from, er, Steve Maclaren. And Giggsy, too, what a fine job he has done over the past couple of years.

Archived