IGNORED

Budgie in peace!

Ocotbc

Hi guys. Norwich fan here in peace. Just found this forum and was interested to see your reactions re: Gary O'neil and to ask a few questions. Seems the general opinion is positive and I agree. Great signing for any championship club! Saw a few conflicting views people had posted about the opinions of Norwich fans on him so thought I would give an honest assessment of the player your signing. 

In the 14/15 season he was mainly used as a substitute, generally when we were winning games he would come on for hoolahan when he begins to tire around 70 min mark to sure up the midfield. I think he started about 10 games. Tbh when we got promoted I didn't think we would see much more of him. Especially after signing mulumbu and dorrans in the summer. But mulumbu broke his foot early on and was woeful once he came back. Dorrans was a downgrade and Tettey (probably our best midfielder ) got injured also. GON came in and actually did very well. He started over 20 games and stepped up for us when we needed him.

He has his limitations, technically and athletically. He's not going to get you goals or assists but he wears his heart on his sleeve, gives 100% work rate off the ball and Leads by example. He's a very intelligent footballer who plays simple passes but he keeps things ticking over. Rarely gives the ball away and has the composure to come deep and take the ball off a centre half and start attacks. In the end he endeared himself to fans and became a real favourite. Alex Neil spoke highly of his presence in the dressing room and application in training, good with youngsters etc. 

The championship is his level now don't get me wrong. A decent player though but the reason we were relegated is because we failed to improve on the like of GON, Bassong, Jerome etc.

I wanted him to stay if we could have got him on another years contract but he goes with great respect and admiration. He will receive applause from the Norwich fans home and away next season. Hope he does great for you and you have a good season!

Always liked Bristol City.. I play football manager and every year I always do a save with you. Always thought Bristol should have a premier league club. 

I see your ground is being extended. What will your new capacity be? What sort of attendances do you think you will get? Looks like you've got a good owner as well? Do think they'll be looking to get promotion within the next couple of years? 

P.S. Do you rate Korey Smith? He came through our academy and played a big part in the successive promotions under Lambert. Was a fans favourite and held in high regard. Didn't get much game time in the prem and left but I always thought/hoped he would still come good?

OC

22 minutes ago, Ocotbc said:

Hi guys. Norwich fan here in peace. Just found this forum and was interested to see your reactions re: Gary O'neil and to ask a few questions. Seems the general opinion is positive and I agree. Great signing for any championship club! Saw a few conflicting views people had posted about the opinions of Norwich fans on him so thought I would give an honest assessment of the player your signing. 

I see your ground is being extended. What will your new capacity be? What sort of attendances do you think you will get? Looks like you've got a good owner as well? Do think they'll be looking to get promotion within the next couple of years? 

P.S. Do you rate Korey Smith? He came through our academy and played a big part in the successive promotions under Lambert. Was a fans favourite and held in high regard. Didn't get much game time in the prem and left but I always thought/hoped he would still come good?

OC

Thanks for the insight to O'Neil, we've needed his sort of experience in midfield ever since Wade Elliott retired at the end of 14/15. 

Our new capacity will be 27,000, I expect we'll get around 17-18k most games next year, depending on how well we do that is. The top tier of our newest stand will be closed unless demand is there.

We're lucky to have a great owner who supports the club and is trying to build a sustainable future. The aim has always been the Prem, and after going so near in 2008 we all thought it'd be sooner rather than later. I'd like to see us in the top half next year, but it's hard to say when we're this early in the transfer window. 

Korey Smith has been probably our most consistent high performer, very solid player in L1 and now in the championship. It will be a sad day when another club snaps him up. 

don't have to come in peace, rival fans are welcome here as long as they aren't nobs,

we are generally happy with the signing, defensively we were poor for large parts of last season, and a defensiveness midfield was a problem position for us, so he should improve us in that respect which is good, Personally I think he's come here to be captain and take a coaching job when he retires,

Always like norwich we seem to be able to pick up results against you lot, and you a good bunch of fans,

We love Korey but he was't the same when he came back from injury, I feel he was rushed back and wasn't match fit, he lost his head in one game and got sent off (maybe for a rest :laugh:) but yea tidy footballer and hard working, needs to learn to shoot a bit more 

Hi Budgie,

Cheers for that. Re Korey Smith, I've gone to the efforts of copying and pasting a paragraph from your description of Gary O'Neil. I think this isn't far out for Korey too...

He has his limitations, technically and athletically. He's not going to get you goals or assists but he wears his heart on his sleeve, gives 100% work rate off the ball and Leads by example. He's a very intelligent footballer who plays simple passes but he keeps things ticking over. Rarely gives the ball away and has the composure to come deep and take the ball off a centre half and start attacks

I would be surprised if he doesn't get back to a low end Prem team one day. arguably our best player. 

On on a final note I recently had my mind blown in Norwich when I was introduced to a market stall that just sells Mushy Peas. People stand round at the bar just eating from bowls with added mint Source & salt & pepper. Unbelievable!

Best of luck for the coming season. 

11 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I rest my case

I agree it's not necessary to say "in peace" on other clubs forums but it is polite and serves to let the regulars know that you're not thre to take the piss or aggravate in any way.

Like others I enjoy reading other clubs  fans opinions - a long as they're not here for the wrong reasons. 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

On on a final note I recently had my mind blow,n in Norwich when I was introduced to a market stall that just sells Mushy Peas. People stand round at the bar just eating from bowls with added mint Source & salt & pepper. Unbelievable!

Best of luck for the coming season. 

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I really hate the term 'in peace' totally unnecessary 

....there's a chance 'in peace' is a typo Chesh,

Think it maybe could be read as... 'Budgie in Peas'... if Fordy's post is anything to go on. :)

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

don't have to come in peace, rival fans are welcome here as long as they aren't nobs,

I'd seen the phrase used on other forums before and some fans of other clubs can get tetchy! 

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

On on a final note I recently had my mind blown in Norwich when I was introduced to a market stall that just sells Mushy Peas. People stand round at the bar just eating from bowls with added mint Source & salt & pepper. Unbelievable!

Really!? I've never seen that. I don't live in Norwich (about a 20 minute drive). I haven't walked round the market in years! There are some rare folk at those stalls! Mushy peas have no place on there own without fish and chips. That is rank. 

I think GON will be a great signing. You could be right about the captain/coach thing. He has definitely been sold the project and sees you as a club going places which he wants to be part of.

Glad Korey seems like he's improving and is popular with the fans.. I wouldn't mind seeing him back tbh. Wilbraham had a couple of seasons with us as well and was seen as bit of a cult hero, good lad.

Will the away end be in the new stand? I've never been to Ashton Gate and would like to do the away game next season although its a monumental drive! Went to Bristol for my cousin's wedding (she married a Bristolian) swear it took about 5 hours.

27,000 is about our capacity to. Are the club doing any initiatives to increase attendances like cheaper season tickets etc?

OC

3 hours ago, Ocotbc said:

I'd seen the phrase used on other forums before and some fans of other clubs can get tetchy! 

Really!? I've never seen that. I don't live in Norwich (about a 20 minute drive). I haven't walked round the market in years! There are some rare folk at those stalls! Mushy peas have no place on there own without fish and chips. That is rank. 

I think GON will be a great signing. You could be right about the captain/coach thing. He has definitely been sold the project and sees you as a club going places which he wants to be part of.

Glad Korey seems like he's improving and is popular with the fans.. I wouldn't mind seeing him back tbh. Wilbraham had a couple of seasons with us as well and was seen as bit of a cult hero, good lad.

Will the away end be in the new stand? I've never been to Ashton Gate and would like to do the away game next season although its a monumental drive! Went to Bristol for my cousin's wedding (she married a Bristolian) swear it took about 5 hours.

27,000 is about our capacity to. Are the club doing any initiatives to increase attendances like cheaper season tickets etc?

OC

The club have very good prices for young adults, u19s are £99 in any stand, my season ticket as a 21 year old (next week) is £135 after I chose to pay an extra £20 for priority on away and cup games. The adult prices are about standard for championship so I think they're trying to hook the young adults and uni students.

The child season ticket is I think £50 and a free top, could be wrong on that though

3 hours ago, Ocotbc said:

OC

Welcome on here mate. Always good to have a bit of banter with opposing fans - we even have a few Rovers fans on here but they`re good value so we let them stay. As long as people don`t come on all Billy Big Bollix or start getting abusive we`ve got no problem.

Good to hear about GON - I think we think we`ve got a good one there. Wilbs has been a bit of a hero for us too over the last couple of years. I think most of us were a bit underwhelmed by his signing but he`s proved us all wrong several times over. I don`t think we`ll see a lot of him this season though as his years are finally catching up with him.

The away end is in the Atyeo Stand which is now the oldest stand we`ve got left. I always enjoyed being in there when it was our home end though.

What numbers do you reckon you`ll be taking away next season? We must be one of the longer trips for you so I`m guessing you`d prefer for it not to be a Tuesday in February!

21 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

....there's a chance 'in peace' is a typo Chesh,

Think it maybe could be read as... 'Budgie in Peas'... if Fordy's post is anything to go on. :)

There's graffiti on a bridge over the M25 that says 'Give Peas A Chance'.  Never occurred to me that this was some kind of underground Norfolk movement.

Thanks for posting your views on Gary and Korey .  Gary sounds just what we need and Korey is just what we need to keep.  Fantastic attitude and ability.  I expect him to grow and improve under our new and having Gary alongside will help him (and our other young players) flourish too.  Good times here in South Bristol.

Enjoy your football back in the Championship.  Be sure to visit us in person for a great weekend in Bristol (aside from the game of course).  We have a bridge, you know.

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Thanks for info.  He was impressive at Portsmouth 

Korey Smith good enough for Premier League now in my opinion. Could get in quite a few teams in bottom half

If he added a bit more composure to his game I would agree. Feel he gives the ball away needlessly sometimes but gets away with it as he tackles hard and is very busy on the pitch. 

When Marlon Pack was the scapegoat for some, people would tut and shout at him if he misplaced a pass, but remain silent if Smith did.

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Korea Smith has been our best player in the last two seasons by some distance. Should be captain 

As much as I say Flint is an average defender for the championship, I think he'd have to disagree with you. It's close between them two. 

48 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

As much as I say Flint is an average defender for the championship, I think he'd have to disagree with you. It's close between them two. 

Fair enough.  I'd argue we miss korey more than we miss flint when either is not fit. Also you call flint an average champ defender (which I agreee with), I'd say korey is a better than average champ midfielder.  

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Fair enough.  I'd argue we miss korey more than we miss flint when either is not fit. Also you call flint an average champ defender (which I agreee with), I'd say korey is a better than average champ midfielder.  

Agreed but when you throw that L1 season in it gets real close but those are the only two. Though I don't doubt Korey is the more comfortable at this level though I'd like to see him chip in a bit more going forward. 

On 17 June 2016 at 15:49, Ocotbc said:

OC

That does seem like rather a long time. I'm not aware of Bristolian weddings taking longer than anywhere else in the country, the average service probably taking around 45 mins. 

Isn't it Nottingham where they sell mushy peas on the streets, not Norwich?

Had some last week with a steak and suet kidney pudding whilst taking an Estonian colleague out for dinner. She understood 'mushy' and she understood 'peas', she couldn't understand how the two went together. Even after seeing them it didn't become any clearer. They were bloody gorgeous

Archived