IGNORED

Lansdown wealth in perspective

Interesting to note that today's FTSE high riser is none other than Hargreaves Lansdown.

The share price is up an impressive 7.57% in morning's trading. Now , as a long term City fan, I know what goes up can come down but.......

Today SL has made enough money to build a new stadium at UWE, buy a football club and new team. And he's English.

Just saying, blue few... just saying.

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Interesting to note that today's FTSE high riser is none other than Hargreaves Lansdown.

The share price is up an impressive 7.57% in morning's trading. Now , as a long term City fan, I know what goes up can come down but.......

Today SL has made enough money to build a new stadium at UWE, buy a football club and new team. And he's English.

his wealth is nothing compared to Wally tho' the gasheads told be he was the richest man in football and they are the 6th richest club in the universe, I mean its not like that lot to make things up

#gaslogic

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

his wealth is nothing compared to Wally tho' the gasheads told be he was the richest man in football and they are the 6th richest club in the universe, I mean its not like that lot to make things up

#gaslogic

that's the trouble when you use a google app translator. I understand he thought he was investing in an energy company.

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If only Steve could also persuade Mr Hargreaves to join the club....

Oh, what do with so much money.

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He's one of our own ... he's one of our own

That Steven Lansdown ... he's one of our own

49 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

#gaslogic

and the fact that their signings so far have all been on Frees proves it! errrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 hour ago, Fatalist said:

If we leave the EU and the predicted slump in the markets follows, whta then for SL?

won't do much, Hargreaves Lansdown are among the very best at what they do, I can't see business slow up for them once the red tape of Europe is out of their way

1 hour ago, Just Red said:

I think HL will make a killing during this time.

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

won't do much, Hargreaves Lansdown are among the very best at what they do, I can't see business slow up for them once the red tape of Europe is out of their way

The profitability of businesses like Hargreaves Lansdown is directly related to the value of all of the assets that they invest on behalf of their clients. Their UK investors will have lots of money in UK investments. A vote to Leave will see the pound plummet along with the value of shares in the majority of UK businesses. What we've seen today has been a relief rally as investors regain confidence that we'll vote to Remain. If we vote to Leave, expect the stock market to fall significantly and Hargreaves Lansdown to fall more than most. Voting Leave won't impact their business model or their competitive position in the UK, it's just that the assets they manage will be worth less and so they will make a smaller profit as a result.

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

The profitability of businesses like Hargreaves Lansdown is directly related to the value of all of the assets that they invest on behalf of their clients. Their UK investors will have lots of money in UK investments. A vote to Leave will see the pound plummet along with the value of shares in the majority of UK businesses. What we've seen today has been a relief rally as investors regain confidence that we'll vote to Remain. If we vote to Leave, expect the stock market to fall significantly and Hargreaves Lansdown to fall more than most. Voting Leave won't impact their business model or their competitive position in the UK, it's just that the assets they manage will be worth less and so they will make a smaller profit as a result.

Thanks for that Mr Cameron!

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As far as I understand things, HL's wealth comes not from 'share dealing' itself, but, rather, from the systems they introduced to enable same to be undertaken.

Furthermore, fortunes can be made in shrinking markets.

They make their money through a range of services but most of their income comes from charging clients a percentage of the funds held on their systems. Fortunes can be made in falling markets with the right strategy but most clients don't do this. Their profitability is directly linked to the performance of the funds their clients buy. So if the total value of investments on their systems was, say, £60bn and their charges are, say, an average of 0.5% (these are reasonable ball-park figures) then their turnover is £300M (ie £60,000,000,000 X 0.5%). If the value of these assets fall by 15% to £51bn, then their turnover falls to £255M. Thankfully for Hargreaves Lansdown they are hugely profitable so it shouldn't affect their business day-to-day but would hurt profits, hence their share price.

11 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

If you follow him on Twitter, and Peter Hargreaves, you'll see that they're both very pro Brexit!

Firstly HL view of Brexit:

http://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/what-does-the-eu-referendum-mean-for-your-investments

Neutral and confirms it distances itself from what PH has said about Brexit (PH is a clear supporter):
http://www.whatinvestment.co.uk/financial-news/markets/2512406/hargreaves-lansdown-our-founder-doesnand39t-speak-for-us-on-and39politicaland39-brexit.thtml

SL's view on Brexit however is not clear, that is unless you've got evidence to the contrary (other than twitter says so)

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm actually a shareholder in HL (though sadly a considerably smaller one than SL!). Todays gains, whilst impressive, aren't yet offsetting the losses seen over the last month or two, so he's not making as much money as you think right now!

1 hour ago, Milo said:

The greater the volatility in the markets - the greater the number of trades.

HL are predominantly execution only and fixed price trades as opposed to being asset managers therefore big market movements affect them less although general market sentiment will always reduce their share price.Their weakness would be if people stopped trading as opposed to high/low market values.

Since my OP, SL's asset value increased by another 0.5%. So that's 0.5% of £1.5 billion i.e. £7.5 million. Not bad in a few hours! Of course this could all change again tomorrow but my original point was about his wealth and anybody who can add £120,000,000 to his asset value in 9 hrs is pretty rich in my world.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Not that I know anything about the financial markets but a month or so ago I received a leaflet through the post written by Hargreaves asking for people to vote leave . His argument was that we would flourish in a global market. He obviously disagrees with you . 

Another perspective on his wealth is what a friend of mine who happens to be a billionaire told me once when I asked him what's it like now he's got all that money; it'll take approximately 2 weeks to count to a million but about 32 years to count to a billion....

When your that not that rich it's really hard to conceptualise the vast amounts involved.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The greater the volatility in the markets - the greater the number of trades.

HL are predominantly execution only and fixed price trades as opposed to being asset managers therefore big market movements affect them less although general market sentiment will always reduce their share price.Their weakness would be if people stopped trading as opposed to high/low market values.

Since my OP, SL's asset value increased by another 0.5%. So that's 0.5% of £1.5 billion i.e. £7.5 million. Not bad in a few hours! Of course this could all change again tomorrow but my original point was about his wealth and anybody who can add £120,000,000 to his asset value in 9 hrs is pretty rich in my world.

Agree with your point about SL's wealth and that Friday and next week will be heavy trading days. However, I am right about how they make their money and why their share price has a high correlation to the stock market. The money earned on stockbroking fees is small beer by comparison (stockbroking income represents 12% of turnover based on their Feb 2016 Interim results).

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not that I know anything about the financial markets but a month or so ago I received a leaflet through the post written by Hargreaves asking for people to vote leave . His argument was that we would flourish in a global market. He obviously disagrees with you . 

Well, don't go thinking Peter Hargreaves thinks Brexit will make life easy. From the Guardian: “It would be the biggest stimulus to get our butts in gear that we have ever had,” Peter Hargreaves said. “It will be like Dunkirk again,” he added, comparing Brexit to the British military’s forced evacuation from Europe after France fell to the Nazis. "We will get out there and we will become incredibly successful because we will be insecure again. And insecurity is fantastic.” Fine words indeed from the 50th richest man in the UK from the comfort of his garden in retirement.

I could be wrong but I don't think I've heard any Leave campaigners claiming that the markets will be buoyed by a vote to Leave. Some argue that it will be beneficial in the long term for various reasons but I'm sure that most recognise that in the short term, the fear and insecurity will drive asset prices lower for the simple reason that there will be more people selling investments than buying them.

47 minutes ago, Milo said:

Agree with your point about SL's wealth and that Friday and next week will be heavy trading days. However, I am right about how they make their money and why their share price has a high correlation to the stock market. The money earned on stockbroking fees is small beer by comparison (stockbroking income represents 12% of turnover based on their Feb 2016 Interim results).

Ok

Your willy is bigger than mine.

Archived