IGNORED

Adele at "Glasto"

Port Said Red

So I watched Adele at "Glasto" last night and I thought she was very good and I say that as someone is not particularly a fan. Her banter with the crowd was great even if at times she sounded like a cross between Peter Kaye's "Geraldine" and Caroline Tates "Nan", After she brought a 10 year old up on the stage, I was expecting her to say "Did you see that? What a ******* liberty"!! 

First time not going to Glasto for a number of years as a result of going to the Euros shortly.

I was very sceptical in the build up, not because I don't think she's talented, just due to it being a very, very big stage for one artist playing very downbeat songs. Thought she was absolutely brilliant and clearly connected with the crowd. It's always more impressive when you see what it means to someone and she clearly got what Glastonbury is all about. Even if she did remind me of my estranged nan...

Perfectly aware I'm in a massive minority but I just don't get the hype around her. Yes I will conceed she has a half decent voice, but her songs are bloody boring, all the same, about the same subject and I have absolutely no interest in listening to her. Sorry I just don't get it. 

There I said it. Not even sorry, not one bit. 

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Perfectly aware I'm in a massive minority but I just don't get the hype around her. Yes I will conceed she has a half decent voice, but her songs are bloody boring, all the same, about the same subject and I have absolutely no interest in listening to her. Sorry I just don't get it. 

In fairness most artists stuff are all the same, everyone seems to love Muse but all the stuff is the same Coldplay as well.

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

If you ask me (which most people don't), she is a direct result of the 'X-Factor' culture that seems to say that if you have a good voice then that is talent enough. She can write a decent downbeat song well enough but is incredibly dull and overrated as a performer.

In fact, now that I think about it, the programme name 'The X-Factor' is a complete misnomer as they totally ignore the indefinable something that makes a star and instead concentrate on karaoke skills.

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

ELO smashing it on the pyramid right now. Red button on BBC 1 etc

I never liked ELO back their heyday in the 80s. If anyone things that Adele songs sounds the same then try listening to ELO.........:facepalm:

It's obviously a huge advantage when trying to make it the music world to have a distinct sound. The Beatles, The Stones, The Jam, Dire Straights and many others but to me the ELO songs sound too similar to each other just like Satus Quo and up to a point U2.

14 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Underworld were fantastic...

As they are a major influence on me it was great to hear them bang out some classics.

Other than that, Glasto gets worse every year

It seems to get older each year.

The people staying in the hotel and B&Bs in my village who are going to Glastonbury are all in their 60s. 

When I first went (1989) you rarely saw a grey hair there apart from the odd local who'd gone down "to see what it's all about".

This ageing demographic  was reflected in the choice of the Pyramid Stage bands this year, which had more than a hint of a nostalgia fest about them.

But fear not DWC,  if you stray away from the main stage that the BBC is obsessed with, you will hear some good stuff. Even electronica.  There are 10,000 performers there after all! 

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 14:30, Dollymarie said:

I'm surprised that comment is from Someone like You ooo  oooo !

I thought Adele was great, swore like a trooper but was 'normal'. We saw Jess Glyn up at the BBC bit after her set and she was miserable and didn't acknowledge her fans (not me, I was just observing), I don't think Adele would have been up herself like Jess.

I was never a big ELO fan either and didn't intend to see them but did and they were really good. Absolutely no crowd interaction though, just bashed out the tunes so to speak. 

Loved Coldplay, very different from seeing them at Wembley only 8 days before. And yes the Xylo bands are sat here still changing colour (I'm home now).

Example really got the crowd going in John Peel. Loved Madness and Squeeze. Only knew one Muse song ( the one they played at Ashton Gate before matches a couple of seasons ago). My main surprise was Bastille, really liked them.

The mud made it very difficult, been to the last 3 and because of conditions so bad leading up to the festival, this was the most challenging yet. Stayed up all night, loved it!

Comfortably the worse mud since 2007. But with Brexit the press didn't care and everyone got on with it as normal. Fair few people with bugs on Sunday by sounds of it. 

If Lord Bath was looking at the ground when visiting not sure he'll be too impressed..

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Comfortably the worse mud since 2007. But with Brexit the press didn't care and everyone got on with it as normal. Fair few people with bugs on Sunday by sounds of it. 

If Lord Bath was looking at the ground when visiting not sure he'll be too impressed..

That was my thoughts too re Longleat. They won't want their land unusable for weeks, or months judging by the absolute state the Pyramid area was left in last night, truly embarrassing and shocking. 

Oh and I jinxed the Xylo bands, almost as soon as I finished typing they all went dead :sad26:

On 26 June 2016 at 15:38, richwwtk said:

If you ask me (which most people don't), she is a direct result of the 'X-Factor' culture that seems to say that if you have a good voice then that is talent enough. She can write a decent downbeat song well enough but is incredibly dull and overrated as a performer.

In fact, now that I think about it, the programme name 'The X-Factor' is a complete misnomer as they totally ignore the indefinable something that makes a star and instead concentrate on karaoke skills.

Couldn't be more wrong,she writes or co-writes pretty much all her songs so the opposite of the x-factor generation,she was very good to be honest at Glastonbury but I'm with dolly on this,muse Coldplay and Adele are rope round the neck music 

It`s amazing the media love in certain bands get that others don`t. Take Elbow for example, virtually everything they`ve done could just as easily have been done by Coldplay but they`re seen as the dogs bollocks whereas Coldplay might as well be as bad James Blunt in the media.

I will say however that some of the Guy Garvey solo stuff is pretty good!

2 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Adele put in a great performance singing wise but I found the natter between songs irratating. 

Also was there any need for the swearing? Maybe i'm getting old!

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Also was there any need for the swearing? Maybe i'm getting old!

She sounded like it was her first time ever on stage while she was talking. The polar opposite once she started singing. The swearing didn't suit her act at all.

14 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Take it back a bit rich,didn't read your post properly,but give me a Adele or pink over a Beyoncé or beiber anyday of the week,the latter being talentless bums who can just sing

I agree with you there, although Pink, Beyonce or Beiber don't even enter my radar. I am aware of them but never heard any of their songs.

Adele on the other hand, is just vastly overrated as a performer in my view.

10 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I agree with you there, although Pink, Beyonce or Beiber don't even enter my radar. I am aware of them but never heard any of their songs.

Adele on the other hand, is just vastly overrated as a performer in my view.

Have you seen or heard Adele?

You might not like her style of music, but surely you can acknowledge the talent.

2 hours ago, Moloch said:

Have you seen or heard Adele?

You might not like her style of music, but surely you can acknowledge the talent.

I don't deny she has talent, what I don't think she has is the 'X-Factor' that makes her interesting. I really don't understand why the media fawn over her quite so much.

On 6/26/2016 at 14:30, Dollymarie said:

Christ!

Talk about green-eyed monster!

Just because some guys are looking at another woman, does not mean you don't exist, luv.

We can't be centre of attention 24/7.

Get over yourself, foxy-chops.

:disapointed2se:

Uncle TFR (banned, I expect)

8 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It`s amazing the media love in certain bands get that others don`t. Take Elbow for example, virtually everything they`ve done could just as easily have been done by Coldplay but they`re seen as the dogs bollocks whereas Coldplay might as well be as bad James Blunt in the media.

I will say however that some of the Guy Garvey solo stuff is pretty good!

Bit harsh I think Coldplay get general good press. I think it's more trendy to dislike them. They aren't my cup of tea although don't mind listening to first two albums. Headlining 4 times seems a bit mad.

Elbow probably fair well because of the charm of Garvey.  Both bands do know how to work the Glastonbury crowd.  

7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Bit harsh I think Coldplay get general good press. I think it's more trendy to dislike them. They aren't my cup of tea although don't mind listening to first two albums. Headlining 4 times seems a bit mad.

Elbow probably fair well because of the charm of Garvey.  Both bands do know how to work the Glastonbury crowd.  

Before I start I'll admit I'm a big Coldplay fan as you know. Anyway, headlining 4 times is unusual I guess but to be fair they haven't been there for 4 years and are in the middle of a huge world tour. But that's just it, if you want them at Glasto ( and the Evis family are clearly friends) where do you put them, they can only headline as they are just too big not to be?

Last year Bastille got William's Green which was stupid as they were far to big for that, many people couldn't get in (including me) this year they were back again on the Other but probably could have had the slot before Coldplay instead of Beck for example.

Elbow did a great set 2 years ago, the bit I saw. But most people who aren't fans would probably describe them as a One Hit Wonder. 

On 26/06/2016 at 19:21, Robbored said:

I never liked ELO back their heyday in the 80s. If anyone things that Adele songs sounds the same then try listening to ELO.........:facepalm:

It's obviously a huge advantage when trying to make it the music world to have a distinct sound. The Beatles, The Stones, The Jam, Dire Straights and many others but to me the ELO songs sound too similar to each other just like Satus Quo and up to a point U2.

Totally disagree with you there. I think ELO's songs sound completely different to each other. Shine A Little Love, The Diary Of Horace Wimp, Telephone Line and Don't Bring Me Down couldn't be more different.

Archived