IGNORED

F.a.o Grannyjoy

Big Red Rich

I just wondered if you would care to tell us how Lee is feeling with the new striker additions?

I expect its making him more determined to do well and prove he is the number 1 striker at the club?? Afterall, he is now the clubs top signing after the expected departure of Peacock.

Fingers crossed for him, I just hope he can start again and make a real crack at it. Put Swindon out him head if he hasnt already and bang them in like he has shown on occasions he can. Id love us to score over 100 goals again this term.

How about a 3 pronged attack anyone???

Good luck Rich, but think GrannyJoy (wisely) declined the invitation to comment on Lee's thoughts about the new strikers on a previous thread. ("Is This The End" - I think).

Be interesting to see how Tins plays him. According to the offical site it was Tins that "courted" Lee and sold the club to him and was pretty complimentary about Lee's attitude so hopefully Tins does have some time for him. Maybe that deeper role is the one. Afterall it don't take much to confuse most central defenders in our div.

• Admin
Good luck Rich, but think GrannyJoy (wisely) declined the invitation to comment on Lee's thoughts about the new strikers on a previous thread. ("Is This The End" - I think).

Be interesting to see how Tins plays him. According to the offical site it was Tins that "courted" Lee and sold the club to him and was pretty complimentary about Lee's attitude so hopefully Tins does have some time for him. Maybe that deeper role is the one. Afterall it don't take much to confuse most central defenders in our div.

Well Rooney's deeper role confused the hell out of defenders at Euro2004 who I suspect are slightly better than League One defenders :city:

Except of course if you're BCFC 2003/04!

Guest bristolbred

Having felt the wrath of Grannyjoy on more than one occasion, ( it serves as a good reminder NOT to date or marry Scots lasses!! :city: ) i still think that Lee should play a more deeper midfield/sweeper type role where defenders are not too sure of his role, while poaching goals, taking pressure off of himself, to allow him to develop, ( he is still young!! :D ) and to get fickle fans off of his back. Then sit back and watch the young lad come good. :city:

Hopefully, Tins will have realised this, and play him each week from the start, to improve his match fitness levels, and skills. :o

This season, under the guise of a good coach, the young Mr Miller will come good, playing deep, and having the occasional lightning run at the defense, and scoring goals!!!. :o

He'll be so fast, that his new nickname will be "Windy Miller!!" :city:

:o

Guest butterflybairn
it serves as a good reminder NOT to date or marry Scots lasses!! :D
:city::o:P

on the subject of Miller, i'm sure he'll come good :o:o

when he first started in the first team at Falkirk we played him up front as we really didn't have anyone else. he was a stand out in a team that should have been relegated. Ian McCall took over after that and we picked up a couple of good strikers in Samuel and Coyle. Sometimes Miller dropped deeper, sometimes Coyle did. it proved very successful.

He'll be so fast, that his new nickname will be "Windy Miller!!" :o

It already is albeit not because of his pace; more to do with the fact that he can't seem to stay on his feet.

Good prospect though. Season 2006/2007 will be his time i'm sure :city:

Isnt it terrible this addiction we seem to have to this Forum :city:

I was determined to give myself a break from it, I even went abroad for a week, only to find a back-log of personal messages on my return. I think I have answered most of them now, those I missed I hope this post will cover.

Lee was really down after Cardiff, as I'm sure so many of you were, to have such a success so near, yet so far, was agony for all concerned. In my opinion, he gave as much as he could on the day, but it was just not to be :o

Now, having had 2 weeks rest in the sun with Donna, he is back getting himself organised for pre-season. For as long as I can remember, Lee can't go for any length of time without kicking a ball, so I know he is keen to get back to it.

Lee has only really had 3 seasons as professional 1st team footballer, with each new season bringing, different, sometimes scarry, but always exciting new challanges. I am sure this season will prove no exception, no matter who the squad consists of. One things for sure, Lee is up to the challange, and is looking forward to the new style of play Brian has hinted at.

As for some of the other mentions on other threads - Neo, Lee really does not have a nicname, never has done, apart maybe for, "Teddy" given to him for a short time when in an under11 team, due to a haircut he had which according to others resembled a certain, "Teddy Sheringham", but that soon faded as his style changed.

I also like to think that as he seems to get so many fouls against him, this could maybe part explain what you refer to as not being able to stay on his feet :D

To Big Red Rich - I hope the term "Old Dear " is one of endearment, as the last person to refer to me as old is still smarting from the look he received, ( me being a pacifist by nature).

bristolbred - Please don't deny yourself the "joy's" :o any Scottish Lassie could bring to your life, you would be missing out on so much!!!!!!!!

Also that you feel you have experienced my "Wrath", disturbs me as I feel what I have is the instict of a lioness to protect her young, and a need to correct mis-informed statements. If I ever sounded like Mrs Angry, I apologise.

The references to Lee being lightweight, I have heard before and can only state again, that he is a hearty and healthy eater, and always has been. He has always trained hard both in and out of the gym, it just so happens that most of the males in my family are tall and slim ( unfortunately most of the females are not blessed that way) :o In my opinion, what he may miss in bulk, he more than makes up for in his footballing brain.

Please notice my use of, "In my opinion", because that is what I feel this Forum is all about. We may not agree with some, infact some can be downright nasty, but that is just human nature. Its a case of " Don't dish it , if you can't take it!"

Again, Lee , like myself and I'm sure all of you , can't wait till the start of the season, to see a more attacking and entertaining Bristol City, put us through the emotional wringer yet again, this time I feel though, with success at the other side.

My first visit I think will be on 30th July. See you all then. :P

Joy

Guest yajrellim

Nice reply mum,

again i have to back you up, i cant believe people say he is too light weight.

he has a very decieptive strength about him. which i believe he must have got from playing with me and my friends who were all older and stronger when growing up.

he could always hold his own in the strength department.

I know he cant wait to get going next season, and even though bristol have been looking for strikers it will only make him even more determined to succeed.

he will look a different player now he has had a season experience in the division.

role on season 2004/2005.

good luck city

Isnt it terrible this addiction we seem to have to this Forum :o

I was determined to give myself a break from it, I even went abroad for a week, only to find a back-log of personal messages on my return. I think I have answered most of them now, those I missed I hope this post will cover.

Lee was really down after Cardiff, as I'm sure so many of you were, to have such a success so near, yet so far, was agony for all concerned. In my opinion, he gave as much as he could on the day, but it was just not to be :D

Now, having had 2 weeks rest in the sun with Donna, he is back getting himself organised for pre-season. For as long as I can remember, Lee can't go for any length of time without kicking a ball, so I know he is keen to get back to it.

Lee has only really had 3 seasons as professional 1st team footballer, with each new season bringing, different, sometimes scarry, but always exciting new challanges. I am sure this season will prove no exception, no matter who the squad consists of. One things for sure, Lee is up to the challange, and is looking forward to the new style of play Brian has hinted at.

As for some of the other mentions on other threads - Neo, Lee really does not have a nicname, never has done, apart maybe for, "Teddy" given to him for a short time when in an under11 team, due to a haircut he had which according to others resembled a certain, "Teddy Sheringham", but that soon faded as his style changed.

I also like to think that as he seems to get so many fouls against him, this could maybe part explain what you refer to as not being able to stay on his feet :city:

To Big Red Rich - I hope the term "Old Dear " is one of endearment, as the last person to refer to me as old is still smarting from the look he received, ( me being a pacifist by nature).

bristolbred - Please don't deny yourself the "joy's" :o any Scottish Lassie could bring to your life, you would be missing out on so much!!!!!!!!

Also that you feel you have experienced my "Wrath", disturbs me as I feel what I have is the instict of a lioness to protect her young, and a need to correct mis-informed statements. If I ever sounded like Mrs Angry, I apologise.

The references to Lee being lightweight, I have heard before and can only state again, that he is a hearty and healthy eater, and always has been. He has always trained hard both in and out of the gym, it just so happens that most of the males in my family are tall and slim ( unfortunately most of the females are not blessed that way) :o In my opinion, what he may miss in bulk, he more than makes up for in his footballing brain.

Please notice my use of, "In my opinion", because that is what I feel this Forum is all about. We may not agree with some, infact some can be downright nasty, but that is just human nature. Its a case of " Don't dish it , if you can't take it!"

Again, Lee , like myself and I'm sure all of you , can't wait till the start of the season, to see a more attacking and entertaining Bristol City, put us through the emotional wringer yet again, this time I feel though, with success at the other side.

My first visit I think will be on 30th July. See you all then. :P

Joy

I always find myself encaptured in your posts, and seeing as they are usually quite long, that's a rarity, i have a very short concentration span :city:

he has a very decieptive strength about him. which i believe he must have got from playing with me and my friends who were all older and stronger when growing up.

Playing against the big boys?? :o

Come on Jay you know as well as I do, the young team ( Lee, Me, Tam, Jamie etc ) would have and still would hammer you and your friends :city:

The reason Lee got so strong was the fact he was carrying our school team for a all those years :o

I also like to think that as he seems to get so many fouls against him, this could maybe part explain what you refer to as not being able to stay on his feet :o

I thought I would respond to your comment to me as unlike most people on here, I don't put the players or their relatives on some invisible mantle, hence, do not respond with anything other than grannyjoy is a legend :Sleep12: :Sleep12: . Do you get bored with that type of response? :o

Anyway, your assumption is wrong.

Lee does win his fair share of fouls I would agree, but the reason he has been dubbed "windy" by some city fans is because he gets bullied out of challenges and often ends up on the floor as a result.

IMO (and believe me, the usual suspects will disagree because you are grannyjoy), he needs to get more aggresive in the heat of the battle.

I have seen Lee launch himself at challenges in terms of trying to cut out a clearance up-field (i.e. denying the defender space to clear).

I do not see the same level of aggression when he is being crowded out on the edge of the box by a burly centre-half. He'll put us foot in, but, often ends up losing the battle.

Don't get me wrong here, i'm not saying he bottles it or anything; nobody reaches the level Lee has if they haven't got heart or character for the fight.

In a way, I suppose I am saying he is too "nice" in some situations. He is not getting in the defences face enough and unsettling them in to making mistakes.

I'll upset people more now! If you watch Lee Peacock in the same situation, he will grit his teeth and get his body, his foot, his hand on the bloke's shirt and basically molest the defender :o . Whilst, this results in a fair share of fouls against, no defender is liable to get to half-time thinking "that was an easy half, i've got their forward in my pocket".

In short, Lee needs to get in to them more often and whilst he might give away 1 or 2 cheap free-kicks, he will get more success ultimately during the course of the game. And, idiots like me will stop coming up with silly little nick-names for him.

I await the slating from your army of supporters; after all, you're grannyjoy :city: .

2 last points :-

1. Is it a "nice" different to be given respect as a fellow poster as opposed to a mother. Somebody actually debating with you?

2. I never made up the nick-name and have heard it used often. Hence, I am not the only person with this point of view. It is always the messenger who gets shot though isn't it?

Guest yajrellim

fair points neo and well put, but in fairness why does he have to do that.

the fact that he wins lots of freekicks and headers means that he is giving the defenders something to think about.

i can see your point about him not unsettling defenders into making mistakes but to me that is the job of the pacey striker. lees job is to hold it up, win freekicks and headers which he does pretty well.

remember this division is very phisical compared to what he was used to before so now he has experienced it for a season he will be alot better at handling it next season.

and hopefully the quality of cross next season will be the same as his headed goal against watford, that is his main strength

fair points neo and well put, but in fairness why does he have to do that.

the fact that he wins lots of freekicks and headers means that he is giving the defenders something to think about.

i can see your point about him not unsettling defenders into making mistakes but to me that is the job of the pacey striker. lees job is to hold it up, win freekicks and headers which he does pretty well.

remember this division is very phisical compared to what he was used to before so now he has experienced it for a season he will be alot better at handling it next season.

and hopefully the quality of cross next season will be the same as his headed goal against watford, that is his main strength

I must admit that myself as i'm sure with others, do forget that this was Lee's first season for us in a strange environment and a different level of football.

It can't of been easy on any of the strikers last year as the service was so pi55 poor and something Tins will hopefully work very hard to sort out.

I, like everybody else like Lee as we can all see the heading ability and the shooting ability he has. He has the respect of the fans and I am sure patience will be shown and he will be a tremendous asset for us.

Perhaps expecting too much, too soon? The problem is of course that Lee has come to a "pressure-cooker" club which is long overdue success, hence, the fans want it and it has reached the point where we demand it.

I look forward to watching Lee contribute to this aim this season.

I thought I would respond to your comment to me as unlike most people on here, I don't put the players or their relatives on some invisible mantle, hence, do not respond with anything other than grannyjoy is a legend  :Sleep12:  :Sleep12: .  Do you get bored with that type of response?  :o

Anyway, your assumption is wrong. 

Lee does win his fair share of fouls I would agree, but the reason he has been dubbed "windy" by some city fans is because he gets bullied out of challenges and often ends up on the floor as a result.

IMO (and believe me, the usual suspects will disagree because you are grannyjoy), he needs to get more aggresive in the heat of the battle. 

I have seen Lee launch himself at challenges in terms of trying to cut out a clearance up-field (i.e. denying the defender space to clear). 

I do not see the same level of aggression when he is being crowded out on the edge of the box by a burly centre-half.  He'll put us foot in, but, often ends up losing the battle.

Don't get me wrong here, i'm not saying he bottles it or anything; nobody reaches the level Lee has if they haven't got heart or character for the fight.

In a way, I suppose I am saying he is too "nice" in some situations.  He is not getting in the defences face enough and unsettling them in to making mistakes.

I'll upset people more now!  If you watch Lee Peacock in the same situation, he will grit his teeth and get his body, his foot, his hand on the bloke's shirt and basically molest the defender  :o .  Whilst, this results in a fair share of fouls against, no defender is liable to get to half-time thinking "that was an easy half, i've got their forward in my pocket".

In short, Lee needs to get in to them more often and whilst he might give away 1 or 2 cheap free-kicks, he will get more success ultimately during the course of the game.  And, idiots like me will stop coming up with silly little nick-names for him.

I await the slating from your army of supporters; after all, you're grannyjoy  :city: .

2 last points :-

1. Is it a "nice" different to be given respect as a fellow poster as opposed to a mother.  Somebody actually debating with you?

2. I never made up the nick-name and have heard it used often.  Hence, I am not the only person with this point of view.  It is always the messenger who gets shot though isn't it?

I will be the first of " Grannyjoys army " to respond to this.

This post is first time in a long long while that someone has been critical of Lee, but hasnt just blantantly come out and said he rubbish etc, its been thought out and well delivered, but naturally i dont wholeheartly agree.

While your opinion is based on watching Lee in more City games than I am able to, I will try and put my slant on it without sounding like a defensive friend.

You have said you have seen Lee launch himself into tackles to prevent the defenders getting an easy clearance. Well as I have mentioned before on other threads, Lee was naturally a midfielder when he was snapped up with Falkirk, so this act of defending is his natural midfielder instincts coming out. Also i think its alot easier challenging a defender when he is clearing as if there is contact 9 times out of 10 the defender will come off worse.

I cant really comment on the chances you say he wont put the foot in as I havent seen them, but going on past experience the only time he wouldnt put his foot in was when he had no chance of winning the battle.

I dont think you can compare the effects Peacock and Lee have on defenders. Although some opposing defenders might come in at half time and think they have been stretched physically by Miller as much as Peacock, but they will know they are playing against a player with a footballing brain. Lees attributed arent to get in a defenders face, pull his hairs out his legs, run his studs down the achilles just to noise up the defenders, he will out think a defender, and beat him with his movement, and thinking. This is where you will think Lee is a " nice " forward. Before I played as a forward, i was a sweeper at the back. Now as a defender i would love to play against the physical presence of a player like Peacock, because he was predictable, he hadnt the brain to beat me. Playing against a player like Miller on the other hand was most difficult. He could mix it physically when he needed to, but he would beat you by thinking and using his football brain. The runs, turns, winning free kicks from nothing, are the little things many defenders at your level of football cant deal with. Many are naive and want to play against the physical Peacock because they can deal with him.

Again Neo, this post is not a direct condemnation of what you have wrote previously, its just my take on things.

PS. although some forum members have taken Grannyjoy to there hearts, this isnt her aim when coming on here. Ok some people as you have said wont say a bad word against her because of who she is but, and i might be speaking out of turn, she enjoys having the real fans ( and in real fans in mean fans who if they dont agree Lee is performing, present their arguement like you did, and not just straight out say he is no good ) having a debate about Lee. If things were all a bed of roses this forum would become redundant wouldnt it? Although Lee is one of my best friends, I know not everyone will love him, there will always be people who dont like him for whatever reason. The only thing I fall out with, and get angry, is forum users coming on here and spouting verbal rubbish about personal aspects of Lee when they know nothing.

Anyway, Neo continue to post good posts like the one on here, I just hope my post makes sense :o

but the reason he has been dubbed "windy" by some city fans is because he gets bullied out of challenges and often ends up on the floor as a result.

I don't think he is nicknamed "windy" at all for that reason, its far simpler.

His surname is "Miller" and hence he is nicknamed after the character in Camberwick Green.

Bit like Robert Russell being nicknamed "Jack".

:city:

And whilst we're on the subiect, here's a song about Windy!

Windy Miller, Windy Miller sharper than a thorn,

Like a mouse he's spry and nimble when he grinds the corn.

Like a bird he'll watch the wind and listen for the sound,

Which says he has the wind he needs to make the sails go round.

Guest Dorito

I would second most of what Neo has said. The fact that Lee goes down too easilly (oo err misses) is a view held by most in the stands. More agression and strength is needed.

However, he does have good heading ability and quick feet for a big guy. I just feel he would be better developing himself as a target man. He could be the new Mark Hately! Looking forward to seeing how he develops this year now that he knows what this league is all about.

I rate him as a promising player.

I wonder how much Tinman rates him, I thuoght there was a need for us to bring in a striker to replace Peacock but it seems Tins wants another one aswell, which would push Miller down to third in the pecking order. Going to be even harder this season to push for a solid first team place i'm afraid. Maybe let him learn his trade on a loan somewhere then bring him back?

Maybe let him learn his trade on a loan somewhere then bring him back?
Learn his trade somewhere else? Thats what he did when he was at Falkirk and won his move to Bristol City, there is no way he should be loaned out.

If we think about this rationally, as it stands there are 5 strikers fighting for the right to start in 2 striker places. Out of the 5, 3 have regular first team experience under their belts, ie. Robbo, Miller & Hefferman. Gillespie needs to be blooded throughout the season & Lita also needs to be blooded in the same way.

Although Gillespie was playing reserves with Liverpool, he will find life at this level hard, he will be playing against cloggers & hatchet men week in week out, not against international defenders etc in the Liverpool reserves.

Lita has been making substitute appearances, and i had the " pleasure " of watching him start his 2nd full match against Oldham at the Gate, and he, along with the other forwards ill add, were non existent. He doesnt look ready to be a starter, although some will agrue he wont look like a starter until he starts. I guess its a " what came first, chicken or the egg " scenario.

Roberts, the enigma. This guy can do nothing for 89mins and then get a goal to salvage something for City. Scored 17 goals in the season before last, looked like he wouldve done it last season. Hampered by Peacocks constant inclusion. Deserves starting place.

Lee Miller. Signed last season, and i feel showed signs of being the forward City need. Another hampered by Peacocks constant inclusion, when he and Robbo were a better option. Aerial ability makes his claim to start as strong as any, plus his ability to act as a makeshift target man could get him the nod. Took time to settle into life in England, but after speaking to him over the break, is bursting to go this season, and prove some doubters wrong. Starter for me.

Hefferman. Cant see this guy being signed and not playing. Bagged 22 goals last season in a piss poor team. Knows where the goal is, and know how to find it, could relish from Millers flick ons etc if selected together. Starter for definate.

Now again this is my opinion, and it could all change if MacLean comes. If i were Tins i would start with Miller & Hefferman/Robbo, but it all depends on the players :city:

Valid points there mate but I just can't see tins putting miller higher up than heffernan or maclean, because these are both proven goalscorers and there's no point bringing them in if they're not going to be used.

This leaves the rest to fight it out for the subs spot and a chance to get some starts if injury hits one of these two. And what with Gillespie being brought in it's going to be a tough battle.

I can't see how we can have 6 strikers in the squad so I reckon 2 of them will have to settle for reserve games, and I can't see the 3 new boys being happy with that.

Heffernan - starter

Maclean - starter

Roberts/Gillespie - bench

Miller + Lita - fringe squad and reserves

I can't see Lita sticking here all season without going on loan somewhere. But saying this it should all come down to who is on form, but it's going to be hard to dislodge the 3 new boys from the top 3 spots.

I would love to see Miller get into the first team consisently with some great performances but i'll also be a bit annoyed if we bring in 3 new strikers and 2 of them are being put on the bench, it's just such a waste of money at this level paying out for bench players.

Valid points there mate but I just can't see tins putting miller higher up than heffernan or maclean, because these are both proven goalscorers and there's no point bringing them in if they're not going to be used.

This leaves the rest to fight it out for the subs spot and a chance to get some starts if injury hits one of these two. And what with Gillespie being brought in it's going to be a tough battle.

I can't see how we can have 6 strikers in the squad so I reckon 2 of them will have to settle for reserve games, and I can't see the 3 new boys being happy with that.

Heffernan - starter

Maclean - starter

Roberts/Gillespie - bench

Miller + Lita - fringe squad and reserves

I can't see Lita sticking here all season without going on loan somewhere. But saying this it should all come down to who is on form, but it's going to be hard to dislodge the 3 new boys from the top 3 spots.

I would love to see Miller get into the first team consisently with some great performances but i'll also be a bit annoyed if we bring in 3 new strikers and 2 of them are being put on the bench, it's just such a waste of money at this level paying out for bench players.

As it stands though its just 5 strikers isnt it, although the arrival of MacLean looks definate. If MacLean doesnt come, that would mean the only stiker you have paid for is Hefferman. This would allow Tins to treat Gillespie as just another player, and not think he has to play because of his transfer fee.

Interestingly, Gillespie was another signing that Danny Wilson made, MacLean comes, and the rumours of Tins not rating Robbo, he might actually only have 4 strikers Tins wants to be involved.

Its all ifs buts and maybes isnt it though. Every single member on this forum has their own choice of the front two, but the one man who knows who he wants to spearhead the attack is Brian Tinnion.

Just hope Miller is involved :P

agree it's all down to tins decisions. I just hope he plays them on a basis of their current form at the time then it should pay off :D And that could be anyone, just feel that he might feel pressured to play the new boys because they have been brought in for a reason.

It's all good competition for places at the end of the day which is a good thing, don't want to see people settled into places and thinking they don't have to work to get picked. Quite exciting that we are actually getting some new signings!

We could always play 3 up front, or even give miller a go in midfield? Maybe Tins is looking that we can play a couple of these boys in the midfield hence the reason why he isn't looking to bring in a new midfielder?

If i were Tinman which i aint unfortunatly i would start with

...............................phillips................................

..................fortune.....coles....hilll.......................

...murray............................................bell.........

............wilkshire....................doherty................

.................................miller..............................

..........heffernan...........................maclean........

subs:

new midfielder

carey

tinman

gillespe

roberts

It's about time we had striking options! Why do you think Peacock got so many starts last season? We had no-one to replace him with.

All of our strikers are youthful and have loads to learn before being a finished article and as such none will be deffinate starters. At least we now have the option that if one of our strikers is not on form he can be replaced by someone who has scored goals, not by an untested 18 year old.

It's all good. Most clubs have four main strikers with one of two youngsters able to step in if required.

I don't think he is nicknamed "windy" at all for that reason, its far simpler.

His surname is "Miller" and hence he is nicknamed after the character in Camberwick Green.

Bit like Robert Russell being nicknamed "Jack".

:D

And whilst we're on the subiect, here's a song about Windy!

Windy Miller, Windy Miller sharper than a thorn,

Like a mouse he's spry and nimble when he grinds the corn.

Like a bird he'll watch the wind and listen for the sound,

Which says he has the wind he needs to make the sails go round.

I'm glad you pointed this out....... It saved me doing it :)

If i were Tinman which i aint unfortunatly i would start with

...............................phillips................................

..................fortune.....coles....hilll.......................

...murray...................doherty.........................bell

............wilkshire..........................goodfellow...

.................................miller..............................

..........heffernan...........................maclean........

subs:

new midfielder

carey

tinman

gillespe

roberts

That's twelve players!

Archived