IGNORED

Iceland chant.

Ashtonboy

The site and sound of other countries now copying the Iceland chant doesn't seem right to me. Is it now ok to sing the West Ham "bubbles" song or Liverpool's "You,ll never walk alone" at the Gate?

Obviously not, so why are fans doing this, although I do accept there isn't much original stuff sung these days. 

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

The site and sound of other countries now copying the Iceland chant doesn't seem right to me. Is it now ok to sing the West Ham "bubbles" song or Liverpool's "You,ll never walk alone" at the Gate?

Obviously not, so why are fans doing this, although I do accept there isn't much original stuff sung these days. 

I agree but the east end used to sing you never walk alone before kick off in the late 70's. There is nothing new in football. 

1 hour ago, Ashtonboy said:

When I saw Iceland fans do it I thought it was quite impressive...when I saw Wales and their fans do it on TV last night I thought it was pretty cringeworthy to be honest.

In the 70's we did sing we're forever blowing bubbles and you'll never walk alone in the East End. It was never considered a problem then, not sure why it should be now. The gate needs something to get all stands going. 

45 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When I saw Iceland fans do it I thought it was quite impressive...when I saw Wales and their fans do it on TV last night I thought it was pretty cringeworthy to be honest.

I think if it's taken and then personalised it would be ok. We could try clap bounce  :clapping::bounce:

2 hours ago, Cider red said:

Fans dont seem to be original with chants these days, just look at Freemans on fire, it will now be sung by every premier league club next season, even though it is clearly 'his' song. Same with the Iceland chant im afraid...

We're we the first to sing it? Genuine question as I remember hearing it at our games well before the will Grigg song caught on

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Winning goals.

I know that was tongue in cheek but when I think of clubs who's supporters I consider always create a great atmosphere. That stadium is usually jumping prior to any winning goals. Granted goals also have a hugely uplifting effect.

Chants and songs are constantly evolving and being shared between clubs, this is nothing new and I don't see anything wrong with it - nor do I see the need to bemoan a lack of originality. It's just evolution. We sing "Come on you Reds" much like Tottenham fans sing "Come on you Spurs". So what?

Equally some songs become synonymous with a particular club such as YNWA at Liverpool. Nothing wrong with that either.

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

We're we the first to sing it? Genuine question as I remember hearing it at our games well before the will Grigg song caught on

We were certainly singing it before Wigan! As the other poster said I think it came from Stevenage, clever use of the song for Freemans name, unlike 'will grig, vardy etc. Pisses me off that Wigan are given credit in the media

Archived