IGNORED

Johnson's statement of intent

tomhbcfc

Hi all, I posted on here a few months ago with match reports/previews etc and latterly with my complaint about my coach breaking down en-route to Charlton! Since then I have been really busy with various things so not been able to post much.

I have just written my verdict on our new signings, whom I feel signal a real statement of intent from Lee Johnson LINK: https://gaborstrousers.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/lee-johnson-a-statement-of-intent/

Would really be interested in hearing your opinions on the signings, so please leave a comment on here/on the blog site. 

I'm going to be posting more city related content now that I have more free time - including match day experiences at away games, previews, reviews and of course transfer discussions such as this one.

I'd be interested to also hear any views on the piece itself; a friend and I are blogging together (both 16) on this site about football so any feedback would be encouraging.

Thanks, Tom

I don't quite get why people need to write blogs - could someone explain to me?

This one is stating the obvious..........:facepalm:

Don't we all know that since Mr Charisma and through him, LJ were appointed that things have significantly been on the up?

Both of them are following SLs ambition to develop a squad capable of challenging in the Championship with experienced  players mixed with and developed through the academy along with younger players poached from other clubs.

No doubt at all that Cotterill was sacked because he didn't trust and therefore use the academy graduates preferring to buy in the quality rather than develop the clubs own.

No doubt at all either than LJ was recruited because he will give academy graduates a chance as with Vyner and Dowling.

Back to the blog. If anyone must write a blog then say something that the readers find new and original. This one has neither.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Let me be the first to say....

You don't agree that Bristol City blogs should be new and original?  :dunno:

As for my own match reports - written by a fan who says what he honestly thought of the game. It's not some disinfected version on the OS.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Don't we all know that since Mr Charisma and through him, LJ were appointed that things have significantly been on the up?

Both of them are following SLs ambition to develop a squad capable of challenging in the Championship with experienced  players mixed with and developed through the academy along with younger players poached from other clubs.

No doubt at all that Cotterill was sacked because he didn't trust and therefore use the academy graduates preferring to buy in the quality rather than develop the clubs own.

No doubt at all either than LJ was recruited because he will give academy graduates a chance as with Vyner and Dowling.

Back to the blog. If anyone must write a blog then say something that the readers find new and original. This one has neither.

Alright, kind of had in mind that this probably would go down as stating the obvious, that's usually the case with transfer discussions anyway.

Judging by the comments so far I'll probably shy away from these then and stick to match reviews/previews and I think the match day experiences at away games will be interesting

5 minutes ago, tomhbcfc said:

Judging by the comments so far I'll probably shy away from these then and stick to match reviews/previews and I think the match day experiences at away games will be interesting

No Tom, don't. I don't know if you have any interest in becoming a journalist or doing this professionally or whatever, but don't let a sad old men's snipes put you off either way. @Robbored do you have anything positive to contribute to this place?

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No Tom, don't. I don't know if you have any interest in becoming a journalist or doing this professionally or whatever, but don't let a sad old men's snipes put you off either way. @Robbored do you have anything positive to contribute to this place?

Yes that is something I'd definitely be interested in doing when I'm older; blogging now is just for fun. In fairness I'm not a big fan of transfer discussions myself, just thought it may appeal to some, and not to others such as Rob judging by his comments. 

Alright, kind of had in mind that this probably would go down as stating the obvious, that's usually the case with transfer discussions anyway.

Tom, my view on the blog is not a personal dig at you but my honest review on it. 

Its difficult to write anything original regarding our club. It is a closed shop and rightly so and local hacks find just as difficult as Stockhausen openly admits.

If you want to write a City blog than say what you think not what the readers already know. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tom, my view on the blog is not a personal dig at you but my honest review on it. 

Its difficult to write anything original regarding our club. It is a closed shop and rightly so and local hacks find just as difficult as Stockhausen openly admits.

If you want to write a City blog than say what you think not what the readers already know. 

That's fair enough, like I said transfer discussions are usually dull, and whilst this clearly isn't to your taste, I've had a couple of positive comments already on the actual site so evidently it's a matter of opinion. I'm planning on doing more opinionated works in the future like I said such as match previews (my line up choices), experiences of away grounds, and possibly who I think we should sign

6 minutes ago, tomhbcfc said:

Yes that is something I'd definitely be interested in doing when I'm older; blogging now is just for fun.

If I were a young guy thinking of a career in sports journalism then I'd try to to chat with those established journos and get as much advice and insight as I could.

Id start with contacting the BP sports editor......

I think we should just point out that a blog isn't necessarily supposed to provide original or breaking information. My understanding is that they offer more reflective articles.

Having said that, I started reading, and then realised how long the piece was! It's well worded and is not trying too hard, which is good.

Keep doing it - if you enjoy it and have a passion. 

Some advice for future blogs on this subject, and perhaps blogs in general - leave some intrigue that will surface later in the article. For such a long piece (in contemporary society we are used to short and sharp), you need to grab attention. As I was reading this, I eat as if I knew where it was going. Perhaps that's what Robbored means too??

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If I were a young guy thinking of a career in sports journalism then I'd try to to chat with those established journos and get as much advice and insight as I could.

Id start with contacting the BP sports editor......

Not sure if the latter part was tongue in cheek (is it Stockhausen....) but if not that's certainly something useful

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The guy is 16, I would imagine you're atleast 4x his age, any need to be so mean spirited? He's given this a good go about something we're all interested in, Bristol City.

Tom I thought it was an interesting read, a good summary and well written. There's another guy who posts on here, @iamalagerdrinker, who also blogs, maybe you two could swap notes. 

Yeh it'd be great to hear from someone else blogging @iamalagerdrinker will give you a follow on wordpress!!

There's a few good bloggers on city. The Exiled Robin is another one. Would be good to have a few bloggers on one site and get as much traffic as possible, maybe even video blogs or podcasts like the one done a few years ago with O'Driscoll. I could imagine Johnson or Tinnion might even feature as a guest if you could organise it properly. Lots of potential to do something quite interesting if people club together.

1 hour ago, tomhbcfc said:

Hi all, I posted on here a few months ago with match reports/previews etc and latterly with my complaint about my coach breaking down en-route to Charlton! Since then I have been really busy with various things so not been able to post much.

I have just written my verdict on our new signings, whom I feel signal a real statement of intent from Lee Johnson LINK: https://gaborstrousers.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/lee-johnson-a-statement-of-intent/

Would really be interested in hearing your opinions on the signings, so please leave a comment on here/on the blog site. 

I'm going to be posting more city related content now that I have more free time - including match day experiences at away games, previews, reviews and of course transfer discussions such as this one.

I'd be interested to also hear any views on the piece itself; a friend and I are blogging together (both 16) on this site about football so any feedback would be encouraging.

Thanks, Tom

Go for it young man , at least you're trying to do something constructive and honest , good luck to you .

2 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

Yeh it'd be great to hear from someone else blogging @iamalagerdrinker will give you a follow on wordpress!!

Appreciated mate, really like your article read it this morning but only just got a chance to comment on it now! Drop me an email and we'll sort something out! I'll post it on my Twitter now aswell 

While I'm glad we signed Tomlin, I would still consider this transfer window to be a quiet one, as we still possess less quality than we had at the end of last season. We still need a centre-back, a right-back, and ideally a forward.

With that being said, we're being linked to some good players. The Icelanded lad for Juventus seems to be a good link, and Nick Powell has showed for Crewe and Wigan that he can be a solid forward. If we land those two, we're a right back away from potentially competing for a mid-table spot.

The intent was there with Tomlin, but intent without delivery puts us in no better a position than we were in last season.

Keep at it Tom H. When I was about your age I cofounded a fanzine which we sold outside the ground for a couple of seasons. (It was printed on REAL PAPER - seems ever so old fashioned now.) I didn't harbour any ambitions of going in to journalism, but I loved doing it and ultimately if it's your passion then crack the hell on, I say. 

Haters gonna hate*. Ignore them. 

ben

*I am far too old to have just written that. 

Tom - if you're interested in a career in journalism you could do worse than contact Radio Bristol and Geoff Twentyman. See if they've got any opportunities to help out or any advice to pass on. The BBC has a proper scheme for work experience and the like…and if you're interested in City then you never know, they might help you take the next step..

11 hours ago, tomhbcfc said:

Stick with it young man. There are plenty of posters on here who are significantly older than you and maybe stuck in their ways. So on your first attempt you did not state anything earth shattering. Yet you you did it in a very readable so keep trying to put your own stamp on it.

Maybe do not make it all factual or in your opinion. Ask questions of the reader that stimulate discussion. Try, try and try again. One never gets anything right initially.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Stick with it young man. There are plenty of posters on here who are significantly older than you and maybe stuck in their ways. So on your first attempt you did not state anything earth shattering. Yet you you did it in a very readable so keep trying to put your own stamp on it.

Maybe do not make it all factual or in your opinion. Ask questions of the reader that stimulate discussion. Try, try and try again. One never gets anything right initially.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Chers, great tips

Archived