IGNORED

Forum Fascists

Major Isewater

18 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Impossible to have football chat without threads being hijacked with shite 'jokes' and the same old people talking the same old crap between themselves.  

It's not fascist (ridiculous comparison) to want a better quality of conversation. 

The facts are that if anyone joins/contributes to a forum then they have to accept the quality comments along with the poor quality ones - and the puns and jokes. 

Thats the bottom line and if anyone can't accept that then look elsewhere........:shifty:

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Impossible to have football chat without threads being hijacked with shite 'jokes' and the same old people talking the same old crap between themselves.  

It's not fascist (ridiculous comparison) to want a better quality of conversation. 

But without the jokes we'd still have the same old people talking the same ol crap between themselves. Only less funny.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The facts are that if anyone joins/contributes to a forum then they have to accept the quality comments along with the poor quality ones - and the puns and jokes. 

Thats the bottom line and if anyone can't accept that then look elsewhere........:shifty:

Agree but posting off topic comments and high jacking threads are against the forum rules? Or have I got that wrong.

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But without the jokes we'd still have the same old people talking the same ol crap between themselves. Only less funny.

Maybe if we had more reasoned football chat more people would get involved. It's like an old man's club here most of the time with 'jokes' about tits ass and cocks. 

Fascist posters?

I thought there were a few Conservative posters but some like to Labour the point.

Come on, is tis really what this forum has come to?

Lib dem fascists to their own devices, it's a free forum after all.

I'll get my long leather coat and jack boots.

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There seems to be an increase in posters who are attacking the forum and trying to impose their Ideals on what and where others should post .

This is a free forum that has developed really well for many years .

You can't please everybody all the time so for those that moan may i suggest that you manage your vie wing better and stop trying to break what is one of the best forums known to mankind .

Leave it alone .

Surely leaving it alone includes leaving alone the apparent recent trend of people attacking the forum and trying to impose ideas, as you yourself are currently doing?

The point is none of us can influence events at Bristol City on or off the pitch, ergo our comments here are nothing more than self amusement.  Some try to fool themselves that they are making an erudite contribution to the betterment of the club whilst others take the piss.  Either way it's all harmless nonesense.

6 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Surely leaving it alone includes leaving alone the apparent recent trend of people attacking the forum and trying to impose ideas, as you yourself are currently doing?

Read it in context . I am sure most posters understand.

I would n't go into a library and start complaining about the choice of books and then harrassing the people who were reading the books that I did n't personally like .

It's freedom of choice .

As i've said before OTIB  is a cracking forum as it is , warts an all , ergot ' leave it alone '.

6 hours ago, Malago said:

The point is none of us can influence events at Bristol City on or off the pitch, ergo our comments here are nothing more than self amusement.  Some try to fool themselves that they are making an erudite contribution to the betterment of the club whilst others take the piss.  Either way it's all harmless nonesense.

Whilst I would generally agree with you it does have an influence as a barometer of fan opinion. When Tony Fawthrop was appointed manager the level of disappointment expressed IMHO contributed in great part to his leaving by mutual agreement.  This was over the summer so you can't put it down to fan protest in the ground.

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Read it in context . I am sure most posters understand.

I would n't go into a library and start complaining about the choice of books and then harrassing the people who were reading the books that I did n't personally like .

It's freedom of choice .

As i've said before OTIB  is a cracking forum as it is , warts an all , ergot ' leave it alone '.

I would go into my local library that I have used for years and make suggestions about what they stock if it had gone downhill. It's a question of degree; I wouldn't hold a protest or harangue people.

And if you've been on the ergot I can see why you like the puns Major.

This forum has something for everybody, long may it continue...

Football chat front page today for instance we have ... The Good, The Bad & The Thugly  (oops spot the pun, ;) ..soz) 

The Good - Johnsons Statement of Intent (example of a young Red taking great interest in all things BCFC)

The Bad -  Gazza .. sadly further news of national footballing hero's desperate decline.

The Thugly - CSF book? .. love it or hate it, it is a historical part of footballs past ... and prove curiously fascinating to many, approvingly/or not.

There is room for everybody and everything here... after all if the forum was a posh restaurant not everyone would like everything that's on the menu, but most would still enjoy a good meal and pleasant visit.. maybe people should view public forums like an al la carte menu, choose and enjoy the things you like - leave what's not to your taste to others.. 

Come On You Red's !

30 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

This forum has something for everybody, long may it continue...

Football chat front page today for instance we have ... The Good, The Bad & The Thugly  (oops spot the pun, ;) ..soz) 

The Good - Johnsons Statement of Intent (example of a young Red taking great interest in all things BCFC)

The Bad -  Gazza .. sadly further news of national footballing hero's desperate decline.

The Thugly - CSF book? .. love it or hate it, it is a historical part of footballs past ... and prove curiously fascinating to many, approvingly/or not.

There is room for everybody and everything here... after all if the forum was a posh restaurant not everyone would like everything that's on the menu, but most would still enjoy a good meal and pleasant visit.. maybe people should view public forums like an al la carte menu, choose and enjoy the things you like - leave what's not to your taste to others.. 

Come On You Red's !

WHappy, there's no issue with the variety of threads we get. The issue for me is when threads get hijacked by the same few people who then take it way off topic with their crap jokes and the discussion being had is lost. 

Again no issue with people making jokes either, but its keeping the threads on topic that is the problem. When a thread about a player suddenly becomes a bunch of fish puns because someone from the same country as him caught a fish once, or descends into a bunch of in jokes between 4-5 posters it's tedious to go through. 

It's been getting akin to last year where every day there was 10 pages added to the transfer thread and only 2-3 posts that were relevant, all the rest were bad puns, this is something people hoped to not have to put up with when they voted to have a separate transfer forum.

3 hours ago, City169 said:

WHappy, there's no issue with the variety of threads we get. The issue for me is when threads get hijacked by the same few people who then take it way off topic with their crap jokes and the discussion being had is lost. 

Again no issue with people making jokes either, but its keeping the threads on topic that is the problem. When a thread about a player suddenly becomes a bunch of fish puns because someone from the same country as him caught a fish once, or descends into a bunch of in jokes between 4-5 posters it's tedious to go through. 

It's been getting akin to last year where every day there was 10 pages added to the transfer thread and only 2-3 posts that were relevant, all the rest were bad puns, this is something people hoped to not have to put up with when they voted to have a separate transfer forum.

Fair points, well made City,

Must admit I rarely post anything of relevance most of the time, but I can't resist a good (& often not so good) pun when the opportunity to post one occurs ... guilty as charged in that department, even fishy puns too, good Cod I've posted Lots of those it must be said, anyway its almost time for tea, I must get my Skates on, catch you all later, ttfn, :robbored:

4 hours ago, City169 said:

Mr WhistleHappy and Mr.City, you've both made well structured and understandable points. It's made me want to respond with my thoughts!

BCFC is in the 'entertainment' business. However (you were warned), we know  that this entertainment has become more than just tribal. Consequently, we all have opinions. Some are heartfelt and well meaning whilst others can be down right rude and crass. Humour can often bring back reality into a topic. On a recent thread, two posters were having a right slanging match (I can't even remember what it was about now!) that could have got well out of hand.  Someone suggested that they should go fishing together! Whilst it soon became off topic, the thread demonstrated how humour and stupid puns in particular can help diffuse any major problem between two posters.

Puns are silly, irrelevant,  childish and often desperate. Problem is, I love them!

In my current state as a full-time carer, I enjoy OTIB immensely. It is like an alternative therapy. It takes my tasks a lot longer to finish because I'm either laughing or constantly finding a moment to go onto the Has Tomlin Signed thread. I think that thread has now closed. .....phew! Yes, it did get to a point where I would skip a page or two but the majority of time I read every single opinionated post.

I've supported BCFC home and away since the 70s but I never understood the need for the CSF or for people to join them. It hasn't stopped me from reading and posting on this current thread. I could well end up buying the book when it's released. 

It would be a sad day if we stopped people from making crass, silly statements and stopped people from making crass, silly puns. 

I get your point about Hijacking threads. It is annoying but it usually gets, ummm,  un-hijacked (if that is the correct terminology)!

If we live in a democracy, then everyone has the right to say something - even if they're wrong! This includes forum fascists and the PFJ! 

Mods....close this thread(worm)! 

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 11:43, Major Isewater said:

There seems to be an increase in posters who are attacking the forum and trying to impose their Ideals on what and where others should post .

This is a free forum that has developed really well for many years .

You can't please everybody all the time so for those that moan may i suggest that you manage your vie wing better and stop trying to break what is one of the best forums known to mankind .

Leave it alone .

I've never read such bollocks in my life. If you feel like that why don't you bugger off and support the gas?

What's that, nurse? The medication trolley has arrived? :D

20 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Totally agree, apart from the puns.

Anybody deliberately posting purely to make a pun should be tracked down and buried beneath the mud at the low water mark at Weston.

In Wales? That's a bit harsh :nono:

• Admin

To be fair, as one who has complained about the puns in the past, I "feel" they aren't so bad this year. Last season there was times when they would literally go on for a couple of pages  but this Summer they seem to die out within 20 posts or so and I see less repeated ones than I recall last year.

I like to think this is because repeated users have brought up that this can frustrate that some posters operate restraint when they see a number have already been posted. 

As such I have gone from hating them to tolerating and occasionally enjoying them. 

Unfortunately not all posters show this respect for others and seem to post purely to wisecrack. 

One final point, @City169 hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion. He has let people know that huge numbers of puns frustrate him, others have agreed, and posters of puns now have the choice whether or not to kowtow to his wishes. Better that than keeping things bottled up, it's good to talk :) 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

To be fair, as one who has complained about the puns in the past, I "feel" they aren't so bad this year. Last season there was times when they would literally go on for a couple of pages  but this Summer they seem to die out within 20 posts or so and I see less repeated ones than I recall last year.

I like to think this is because repeated users have brought up that this can frustrate that some posters operate restraint when they see a number have already been posted. 

As such I have gone from hating them to tolerating and occasionally enjoying them. 

Unfortunately not all posters show this respect for others and seem to post purely to wisecrack. 

One final point, @City169 hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion. He has let people know that huge numbers of puns frustrate him, others have agreed, and posters of puns now have the choice whether or not to kowtow to his wishes. Better that than keeping things bottled up, it's good to talk :) 

Agreed. Mind you,  if I'd had 1 69, I'd moan too. Shout at the top of my voice, probably.

Archived