IGNORED

Will Wes Burns dominate Scottish football?

reddogkev

Honestly think WB's career at City is over. Surprised we gave him a longer contract but may of been a good reason behind it. Perhaps Aberdeen will have the option to buy at the end of the season or it puts him nicely in the shop window if he scores a few goals. He'll be 22 when he arrives back with us. He's been out on loan five times now I believe? Has never held down a regular spot. With the likes of Brownill and Smith coming in who I believe are younger? It seems to me he's being pushed out and the club want to make a few bob off him.

Then again, I may be completely wrong! And he does have a future. Time will tell! Good luck Wes.

16 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Honestly think WB's career at City is over. Surprised we gave him a longer contract but may of been a good reason behind it. Perhaps Aberdeen will have the option to buy at the end of the season or it puts him nicely in the shop window if he scores a few goals. He'll be 22 when he arrives back with us. He's been out on loan five times now I believe? Has never held down a regular spot. With the likes of Brownill and Smith coming in who I believe are younger? It seems to me he's being pushed out and the club want to make a few bob off him.

Then again, I may be completely wrong! And he does have a future. Time will tell! Good luck Wes.

You are wrong ,  your first sentence is answered by your second .

Wes is going to have a good career at centre forward , He just needs to get it going .

I believe this loan move will do just that .

If he does n't make it here he will else where .

No answer the OP.........

Do you mean he will become the Berni Ecclestone of Scotland?

I'm pretty sure that was the purpose of the loan.

Once we have an insider, we can take-down Sturgeon.

"Mmmmmmm".

Uncle TFR

On 7/17/2016 at 09:07, Robbored said:

No doubt that Scottish football is of a lower standard than the SBC I doubt Burns will impress that much.

He's all pace just as Junior Bent used to be with little or no end product also like Junior Bent.....:facepalm:

Not sure it's fair to compare him to Junior; rumour has it that before that probe landed on Jupiter, one of Junior's crosses had finally come to rest there...

Anyway, I think he needs to decide - and show - what he really is, winger or striker.  If he's a striker, he's got to get some goals and show that 'instinct'.  If he's a winger, he's got to show more than just pace, crossing and positioning are key.

Otherwise, he risks becoming a poor man's Walcott - neither fish nor fowl.

On 7/18/2016 at 14:33, Woodsy said:

I've seen Junior and Swindon mentioned on here, but not in relation to this - 

He will always be in the 'hero' category for this alone (apologies if someone else has mentioned / posted already, kind of nodded off through this thread, zzzzzzzz)

Jeez, memories - huge billowing shirts, vile grounds, and Todger and his jumpers

IIRC, didn't Junior like playing Swindle?  Seem to recall he notched against them in another game there, when it pissed it down all night and Fleck got one of our goals?  Same kind of goal - sent clear through, City fans expecting his shot to land on the magic roundabout...and as if by magic...!!!!!!!!  Cue 3,000 Cidereds falling over in stunned amazement as the net bulged

10 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Jeez, memories - huge billowing shirts, vile grounds, and Todger and his jumpers

IIRC, didn't Junior like playing Swindle?  Seem to recall he notched against them in another game there, when it pissed it down all night and Fleck got one of our goals?  Same kind of goal - sent clear through, City fans expecting his shot to land on the magic roundabout...and as if by magic...!!!!!!!!  Cue 3,000 Cidereds falling over in stunned amazement as the net bulged

Oddly, I don't remember the Fleck game at all, but I'm sure one of the other vids on here is 'that' game

Ha, that description of the goal was bang on, I suspect, to a man, woman and child in that away end we were all waiting for the Swindon fans to explode with joy as Junior skied it.....absolute scenes when he tucked it away. Seem to remember this was a Sunday game??

As for the shirts, I don't remember them being a different shade of yellow to the socks, maybe it's the quality of the video?

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You are wrong ,  your first sentence is answered by your second .

Wes is going to have a good career at centre forward , He just needs to get it going .

I believe this loan move will do just that .

If he does n't make it here he will else where .

I'm not wrong at all and the jury is still out. A player who has been out on loan five times already is normally never a good sign he will become a regular at his parent club. How often does a player go out on loan that many times and end up a starting eleven for his club? Hardly never. He may( and I think that's a big may) become a good centre forward as you say. Is that going to be in this league? I don't think so. I think he'll end up going to a team in League 1 such as P'boro etc. What I would call a comfortable side in League 1.

The other situation is not just Wes and his progression. But also our club. If we are aiming to become a PL club or a top-end Championship club, I don't think a player with Wes's calibre is going to be the driving force in order for that to happen.

Kane went out on loan to 4 different clubs, averaging 1 in 4, before going back to Spurs and banging in a at a very impressive rate and being adored by the fans. Just saying, who knows next season we could be singing "he's one of our own..."

On 18/07/2016 at 14:33, Woodsy said:

I've seen Junior and Swindon mentioned on here, but not in relation to this - 

He will always be in the 'hero' category for this alone (apologies if someone else has mentioned / posted already, kind of nodded off through this thread, zzzzzzzz)

Blige, he was quick!

19 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

I'm not wrong at all and the jury is still out. A player who has been out on loan five times already is normally never a good sign he will become a regular at his parent club. How often does a player go out on loan that many times and end up a starting eleven for his club? Hardly never. He may( and I think that's a big may) become a good centre forward as you say. Is that going to be in this league? I don't think so. I think he'll end up going to a team in League 1 such as P'boro etc. What I would call a comfortable side in League 1.

The other situation is not just Wes and his progression. But also our club. If we are aiming to become a PL club or a top-end Championship club, I don't think a player with Wes's calibre is going to be the driving force in order for that to happen.

You do make some very valid points but

Who knows, however not sure there are any rights and wrongs as you put it.

firstly and most significant is the loan window and the ever recent emergency loan window has allowed clubs to get an increasing exposure for young players like wes, who might otherwise only have played u21 football.

that was not an option in the modern era and is a relatively recent phenomena, so to use the number of loans as a benchmark to likely success is not entirely a fair one.

so SOD coming into bristol after DM, immediately sent wes out to FGR at the age of 18, absolutely the right thing to do.

bobby to cheletenham and as I recall Joe to Bath.

this is now seen as a regular path for development by nearly every team.

if you do some homework on most of the sides in the championship, and look at a number of their regulars, many have followed a similar path.

even at your own club, would it surprise you to know that Bobby has had 5 loans, 3 times to plymouth by the way

korey smith has had 3, pack 3, wibbs 4, etc etc

notable others andre gray 8 clubs and 4 loans

grant holt 6 loans 19 yes 19 clubs

finally one big oversight in your assesment..... You presumably assume the club have sent wes out on loan 5 times,and whilst they  may have agreed to that,  don't assume they drove that agenda entirely, easpecailly those under SC and the most recent.

going out on loan is a two, sometimes 4 way discussion.

whats important is that on each occassion wes has stepped up the ladder from the conf to L2 , then to L1 and despite what some might say a further step to the SPL.

at 21 wes has now played in every league except the EPL., who says he cant establish himself in the championship.

I would not  write off his chances just yet..... You may be correct in saying that it might not be at the parent club, but does that really matter for the player at least.

on many occassions, the risk of the loan window is that the parent club does miss out, hence the new deal for wes and a protection against their worst fears.

this demonstrates that the club at least don't share your view on that matter.

some playesr develop early, make a mark and then fall away, Wes infeel will be the opposite of that.

but i am of course biassed.

interesting debate though and i respect your opinion.

43 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

firstly and most significant is the loan window and the ever recent emergency loan window has allowed clubs to get an increasing exposure for young players like wes, who might otherwise only have played u21 football.

that was not an option in the modern era and is a relatively recent phenomena, so to use the number of loans as a benchmark to likely success is not entirely a fair one.

so SOD coming into bristol after DM, immediately sent wes out to FGR at the age of 18, absolutely the right thing to do.

if you do some homework on most of the sides in the championship, and look at a number of their regulars, many have followed a similar path.

even at your own club, would it surprise you to know that Bobby has had 5 loans, 3 times to plymouth by the way

finally one big oversight in your assesment..... You presumably assume the club have sent wes out on loan 5 times,and whilst they  may have agreed to that,  don't assume they drove that agenda entirely, easpecailly those under SC and the most recent.

whats important is that on each occassion wes has stepped up the ladder from the conf to L2 , then to L1 and despite what some might say a further step to the SPL.

at 21 wes has now played in every league except the EPL., who says he cant establish himself in the championship.

I would not  write off his chances just yet..... You may be correct in saying that it might not be at the parent club, but does that really matter for the player at least.

on many occassions, the risk of the loan window is that the parent club does miss out, hence the new deal for wes and a protection against their worst fears.

some playesr develop early, make a mark and then fall away, Wes infeel will be the opposite of that.

The word is that City want Abraham on a short term loan , a loan that could perfectly well end with the return of Wes in January , providing  he does himself justice at Aberdeen .

58 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

I hope it matters to Wes, I'd like to think his priority is to establish himself in the C'ship with us.

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I hope it matters to Wes, I'd like to think his priority is to establish himself in the C'ship with us.

Your right and I know it does matter very much to him but someone has to manage his expectation in case the feeling isn't mutual !!!

4 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Thank you @djb6162

Let us both hope then Wes gains vital experience in the SPL and can challenge for a position next season with us and push on to have a wonderful career. Any first team experience is good experience. As you said it's better a player being sent out on loan playing first team competitive football rather than stuck being played in Under-21 matches. So thank you for highlighting that for me.

On 7/18/2016 at 05:39, fj08 said:

What a stupid clueless post,(will burns dominate Scottish football) there's dozens of players better than him up there, he will come back tougher as its a lot  more physical I think he'll enjoy playing in front of 50 k at ibrox,no love lost between  Rangers and Aberdeen in fact mirrors the old firm for hatred in lot of ways 

Who made you Head of parade-pissing??

We don't tolerate 'doom-and-gloom' on OTIB.

:redcard:

Uncle TFR

18 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Wes Burns has as much chance of dominating Scottish football as I have of dominating Katy Perry.

I wouldn't like to stand on the front line with you.

Wes is contracted to us and surely a bit of encouragement for the lad would be a better shout!

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He set up the winner tonight .

Hello Katy ? Yes , it's EnderMB here ...

........ 'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar!

From the BBC match report:

"Aberdeen could have had another couple as Ventspils wilted towards the end, with substitute Wes Burns causing problems with Graeme Shinnie was denied when one on one with the goalkeeper"

G'wan Wes!!

Archived