IGNORED

Will Wes Burns dominate Scottish football?

reddogkev

50 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm certainly hoping so.

If that happens does it then demonstrate that:

• Wes should be a regular starter in the first team, or
  • We should never buy a Scottish footballer again because the standard is so woeful?

I think we've already learnt that the 2nd option is fact. 

I don't think Wes was used as an out and out striker at Fleetwood. Seemed like he was given the freedom to drift out wide if need be as he got plenty of assists from wide positions as well as goals from the centre. Essentially he has the qualities of a good winger and a good striker.

6 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I don't think Wes was used as an out and out striker at Fleetwood. Seemed like he was given the freedom to drift out wide if need be as he got plenty of assists from wide positions as well as goals from the centre. Essentially he has the qualities of a good winger and a good striker.

I thought he was but didn`t see a huge amount of highlights TBF. I imagine if he is played wide he`s encouraged to cut in and drive into the box as with his pace he`s hard to stop without fouling. It seems to be his wide crossing that doesn`t always come off.

Wes Burns has been so frustrating! 

His early appearances on the wing V Leicester & Watford in particular left me believing that we had a real gem coming through. 

Physically, he looks like he should be a great striker, but he seems to lack the strength that he appears to possess. 

He certainly has potential, but then we've thought that many times before. 

Wes is one of those frustrating players that you know has great ability and potential but your not sure how to best nurture it. Hopefully he gets the right coaching and chances in Scotland to  fulfil his potential then, if we want him back, we and Wes will both benefit from his time up there. Maybe we just haven't  found the secret with him yet or maybe, as others have said, its just not there.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Bit speculative here, so please forgive the fantasy football element, but does Burns have the potential to menace the Scottish Premier?

I've heard it mentioned on here that with his pace, and his developing eye for goal, he could score a hatful.  Well, I'd certainly fancy him to tear a lot of those borderline amateur defences to ribbons, and as his confidence grows, he'll also grow in stature.

We could easily see a situation develop where he becomes the main man for the Dons this season, top scores for them, and then.. what happens next?

Does he return to us after the end of his loan (or perhaps in January), or does he attract the interest of the old firm, or perhaps even a bigger English club than ourselves?

This could mean that he becomes the subject of a decent offer from either Celtic, Rangers or someone else.

Of course, I've probably now put a hex on him and he'll be lucky to hit more than a couple!

Well he has a good Scots name, despite being a woollyback.

It's a strange league, top few teams are of a very good standard, the rest are there just to give the others someone to play....  He should if he's going to be of value to us as a striker be prolific, I think nothing less than 10 goals at Christmas.  If he's going to be of value to us as a wide man which lets not forget is where he started out then we need to keep an eye on his crossing ability and assist rate.  

He has bags of potential, just needs to add that little bit of quality to his game be it in assists or goals.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that Scottish football is of a lower standard than the SBC I doubt Burns will impress that much.

He's all pace just as Junior Bent used to be with little or no end product also like Junior Bent.....:facepalm:

Can't remember Junior Bent scoring with a header like Burns did the other night.

He dominates Scottish poetry and has his own special night once a year north of the border so I see no reason why he shouldn't go on to dominate Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its obvious hes gonna do well at aberdeen but i think it would have been better playing league 1 football which is easily a better standard nowadays. 

Yes- perhaps outside the top 5 clubs but the experience of playing Celtic and Rangers and in a team who are in that top 5 with a Manager who clearly rates him is perhaps key to his further development.

Quick question for the 'stattos' on here:

When was the last time a Bristol City player scored in a European club competition prior to Wes on loan?

The telling factor here is that Mr McInnes, who I believe gave Wes a debut saw enough (between now and then) to knock on our door for Wes

GJ used to say it's about clubs in the bag, Wes certainly has speed and he proved that he can get high the other day, it was a very good cross and an excellent header.

Does he need to add other things to his game, probably yes but you could say that about most players. The obvious thing to me is Wes never gets played in his favoured out and out forward role on the shoulder of the last defender, ala Vardy. Maybe this is because he is not quite prolific or smart enough to make it there, quite yet, but he has more goals in Europe than probably our entire team and looks like he will get playing time if he keeps playing well.

Will he ever be our number one striker? Who knows, but a good season and a couple of Welsh caps will be great for everyone. 

5 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

I reckon he can head a ball slightly better than Junior and can't possibly be as bad a finisher him.!!!

I know why you say this (and don't disagree) and I know it was the exception rather than the rule, but that goal he scored at Swindon in 1990.....what a goal that was. First impressions, and all that. The Hoddle-esque through ball from Bob Taylor was pretty special, hit like a shot it put Jnr clean through on goal with enough time to think about what he wanted to do and make a mess of it, Jnr calmy slotted the ball past Fraser Digby (?) and we were on our way to two wins in two. And Swindon were a class above us back then.

That goal was not a sign of things to come sadly, and the most impressive and rather surprising thing about Jnr, after his blistering pace, was a gurt big Yorkshire accent. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

No doubt that Scottish football is of a lower standard than the SBC I doubt Burns will impress that much.

He's all pace just as Junior Bent used to be with little or no end product also like Junior Bent.....:facepalm:

A quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that Junior scored at the rate of 1 in 10 over the course of his whole career (34 - in 338 games). Wes is averaging 1 in 5 (21 - 103) including 6 in 16 for Wales U21. I would say that was twice as good rather than slightly better. Neither set of figures mentions how many minutes they spent on the pitch, but I would think that Junior is well ahead on that score. It will be interesting to see how the 2 compare by the end of his current contract.

I was amused to see in Wiki that junior coaches the U13's at Preston these days, I imagine many of them looking down on him as he passes on his experience! :)

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

A quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that Junior scored at the rate of 1 in 10 over the course of his whole career (34 - in 338 games). Wes is averaging 1 in 5 (21 - 103) including 6 in 16 for Wales U21. I would say that was twice as good rather than slightly better. Neither set of figures mentions how many minutes they spent on the pitch, but I would think that Junior is well ahead on that score. It will be interesting to see how the 2 compare by the end of his current contract.

I was amused to see in Wiki that junior coaches the U13's at Preston these days, I imagine many of them looking down on him as he passes on his experience! :)

In Junior's defence, he did play under the reign of Russel Osman, when we played a rather negative 1-9-1 formation (a keeper, nine centre halves and Junior alone somewhere up top). 

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

In Junior's defence, he did play under the reign of Russel Osman, when we played a rather negative 1-9-1 formation (a keeper, nine centre halves and Junior alone somewhere up top). 

Please don't do that, a shiver runs down my spine every time I am reminded of that time or that of the welsh bloke.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Junior Bent - very quick but couldn't cross a ball consistently. As Raspberry says couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Did you ever watch Junior Bent, or are you just pretending to be very, very stupid for the fun of it?  Junior may have been erratic at times, and we all remember Liverpool at home, but at other times he was a match-winner.  Anyone who remembers how him and Jacki destroyed Leicester in the FA Cup, as shown on Match of the Day, would never have made such a crass and Ill-informed statement about a player who was a great servant of Bristol City.

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Did you ever watch Junior Bent, or are you just pretending to be very, very stupid for the fun of it?  Junior may have been erratic at times, and we all remember Liverpool at home, but at other times he was a match-winner.  Anyone who remembers how him and Jacki destroyed Leicester in the FA Cup, as shown on Match of the Day, would never have made such a crass and Ill-informed statement about a player who was a great servant of Bristol City.

Are you deliberately forgetting how many sitters JB missed at Anfield?  So many so that Grobelaar commented on it after the game....

JB was a League 1 at best and although he played lots of games for City I wouldn't call him a legend. I saw him play dozens of times I can't remember any where he as MoM. I don't remember any bigger clubs coming in for him either.

He was/is a nice guy. Very friendly character who always had time for the fans unlike some of the City players of the era.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

I'm gonna say Anglo Italian cup, and wait for GrahamC to tell us who scored what/when/how

If we count the Anglo Italian cup as European competition then it was Leroy Rosenior away at Cremonese in a 2-2 draw on a weekday afternoon just before Xmas (1992?), which, if you've read a recent copy of The Bountyhunter you'll know was a game that I also attended..

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Bit speculative here, so please forgive the fantasy football element, but does Burns have the potential to menace the Scottish Premier?

...if he changes his first name to Robbie they'll love him even more!

Seriously though, I really believe in Wes' potential, I just hope this is his last loan move and he will come back ready to terrify Championship defences with his pace and strength soon...

7 hours ago, spudski said:

I think a few people on here are going to have to eat their words in the future regarding young Burns.

He has a lot of talent...the only thing that has held him back, is Bristol City.

Because he's got pace...it does not just make him a 'winger'.

Having watched him closely, he has a great eye for goal, gets in good positions, and reads the game well, and is able to use that pace to beat defenders to the ball.

Played and developed in a Striking position, should have been done far earlier imo.

From the few bits and pieces from Fleetwood and a lot more minutes watching Wales u21s, I think Wes has a lot of attributes to play striker.  Was a little surprised the first time I saw him lead the line for Wu21s, but he was fantastic against England (Jenkinson, Moore, Garbutt, Keane), both holding it up and spinning in behind into the space.  That is the position he will find his level in the pro game....not a winger.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As a very much part-time supporter in those days that was one of the few away games I went to, plus I had City to win and Junior FGS....happy days.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Are you deliberately forgetting how many sitters JB missed at Anfield?  So many so that Grobelaar commented on it after the game....

JB was a League 1 at best and although he played lots of games for City I wouldn't call him a legend. I saw him play dozens of times I can't remember any where he as MoM. I don't remember any bigger clubs coming in for him either.

He was/is a nice guy. Very friendly character who always had time for the fans unlike some of the City players of the era.

I'm with TDP. Sometimes players are mocked unfairly. He stayed with us seven years and played about 200 games. You don't get picked that often if you're crap. A fast exciting winger who was certainly imperfect, but you don't judge a player like that on their goal ratio. Better in my view than someone similar like Ivan Sproule.

Also quite bright  - not just a coach at Preston, but also a Business Manager with NatWest.

Loving the fact that as well as getting some thoughts on Wes Burns, we are also getting a bonus Junior Bent (trip down memory lane) thread!  Good works folks, special thanks to RR for bringing up the skills of Bent.

Now, I must go hunt around in the loft for my old City shirt signed by Junior; might have to see if it still fits...

Archived