IGNORED

Will Wes Burns dominate Scottish football?

reddogkev

38 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Loving the fact that as well as getting some thoughts on Wes Burns, we are also getting a bonus Junior Bent (trip down memory lane) thread!  Good works folks, special thanks to RR for bringing up the skills of Bent.

Now, I must go hunt around in the loft for my old City shirt signed by Junior; might have to see if it still fits...

It probably won`t even fit him now!

I don't think he will dominate Scottish football playing for Aberdeen but i think he could do very well. Given a run of games (something he's never had here) he will gain competitive experience and confidence and if he becomes a regular in a decent side he will find his worth and flourish.

Fingers crossed here and hoping someday he fulfills his potential with us in the near future......good luck Wes!

5 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I know why you say this (and don't disagree) and I know it was the exception rather than the rule, but that goal he scored at Swindon in 1990.....what a goal that was. First impressions, and all that. The Hoddle-esque through ball from Bob Taylor was pretty special, hit like a shot it put Jnr clean through on goal with enough time to think about what he wanted to do and make a mess of it, Jnr calmy slotted the ball past Fraser Digby (?) and we were on our way to two wins in two. And Swindon were a class above us back then.

That goal was not a sign of things to come sadly, and the most impressive and rather surprising thing about Jnr, after his blistering pace, was a gurt big Yorkshire accent. 

I remember ' Bent , it must be , it is n't '

bless him .

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Are you deliberately forgetting how many sitters JB missed at Anfield?  So many so that Grobelaar commented on it after the game....

JB was a League 1 at best and although he played lots of games for City I wouldn't call him a legend. I saw him play dozens of times I can't remember any where he as MoM. I don't remember any bigger clubs coming in for him either.

He was/is a nice guy. Very friendly character who always had time for the fans unlike some of the City players of the era.

221 appearances for us, the majority of them in the second tier, and 23 goals.  Sorry, no one plays that many games for us if they are rubbish.  He was an impact player, erratic at times, but he was a great servant for the club and I look back on him with nothing but good memories of what he did for us.

The legendary Djiekanowski probably missed as many open goals as Junior did, but people forget that...

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

221 appearances for us, the majority of them in the second tier, and 23 goals.  Sorry, no one plays that many games for us if they are rubbish.  He was an impact player, erratic at times, but he was a great servant for the club and I look back on him with nothing but good memories of what he did for us.

The legendary Djiekanowski probably missed as many open goals as Junior did, but people forget that...

Djieckanowski  was a waster.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I'm with TDP. Sometimes players are mocked unfairly. He stayed with us seven years and played about 200 games. You don't get picked that often if you're crap. A fast exciting winger who was certainly imperfect, but you don't judge a player like that on their goal ratio. Better in my view than someone similar like Ivan Sproule.

Also quite bright  - not just a coach at Preston, but also a Business Manager with NatWest.

I'm not mocking him at all. I'm stating my honest opinion of him as a player. Sure he played almost every game in League 1 and in my view that was his level. I don't see why some are getting so defensive. :dunno:

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm not mocking him at all. I'm stating my honest opinion of him as a player. Sure he played almost every game in League 1 and in my view that was his level. I don't see why some are getting so defensive. :dunno:

League One didn't start until 2004,  so he didn't play any games in that division - Junior was with us from 1990 to 1997?

6 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Im gonna say never because we have never been in a european competition??

Actually- I think you're right. The Anglo - Italian was not a pan european competition ( I was thinking of an edit to exclude this as it was one country v another only).

My belief is that our very own Wes Burns is the ONLY BCFC player to score in a European club competition- albeit whilst on loan.

So put that in your bowling slippers and smoke it , Robbored.

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

League One didn't start until 2004,  so he didn't play any games in that division - Junior was with us from 1990 to 1997?

:facepalm:

You know exactly what league I mean. Why you had to point out that L1 wasn't around then is beyond me.

7 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

When was the last time a Bristol City player scored in a European club competition prior to Wes on loan?

Was it Ivan Tistimetanu? Although Ivan was playing for another club at the time, for some reason City were still paying his wages. Technically therefore he was a City player.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Sure he played almost every game in League 1 and in my view that was his level. I don't see why some are getting so defensive. :dunno:

He played 140 games in the equivalent of the Championship and 81 games in the equivalent of League One.   He was used by four managers - Jordan, Lumsden, Smith Osman and Jordan again.  

Highlight for me of Junior Bents career at Bristol city, was him catching a pan full of oil on fire, cooking chips, and pretty much burning his kitchen down when he lived at Bisley in Yate.

As for football...wasn't the most talented, but always gave 100%...and even though he had a head like a 50p piece when heading, never a bad word said about the fella.

In fact...thinking about it...it's only since we went up to the championship the first time, that it's been noticeable how harsh some people are towards certain players.

Before that time, it didn't seem so common.

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- perhaps outside the top 5 clubs but the experience of playing Celtic and Rangers and in a team who are in that top 5 with a Manager who clearly rates him is perhaps key to his further development.

Quick question for the 'stattos' on here:

When was the last time a Bristol City player scored in a European club competition prior to Wes on loan?

Ben Wright v Chelsea...

What a stupid clueless post,(will burns dominate Scottish football) there's dozens of players better than him up there, he will come back tougher as its a lot  more physical I think he'll enjoy playing in front of 50 k at ibrox,no love lost between  Rangers and Aberdeen in fact mirrors the old firm for hatred in lot of ways 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

:facepalm:

You know exactly what league I mean. Why you had to point out that L1 wasn't around then is beyond me.

Well you usually reply with 'who cares?' and/or a long line of 'z' when anyone discusses an ex player or manager, so not sure why you even lowered yourself to talk about JB?!

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Highlight for me of Junior Bents career at Bristol city, was him catching a pan full of oil on fire, cooking chips, and pretty much burning his kitchen down when he lived at Bisley in Yate.

As for football...wasn't the most talented, but always gave 100%...and even though he had a head like a 50p piece when heading, never a bad word said about the fella.

In fact...thinking about it...it's only since we went up to the championship the first time, that it's been noticeable how harsh some people are towards certain players.

Before that time, it didn't seem so common.

Some of the players who joined us in the Championship were less than ' honest ' .

Fans can see when they're not giving their all and just collecting their wages . 

Those players who put the minimum in and take the maximum out deserve the criticism of the people who love their club , pay their wages and , for most  , dream of playing for City .

In the lower leagues we see less of the Prima Donnas and the players are closer to the fans .

So perhaps that's why .

That said now the team Spirit is fantastic and the club is at one with the supporters ( except Robbored ;) ) 

57 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That said now the team Spirit is fantastic and the club is at one with the supporters ( except Robbored ;) ) 

You don't see me slagging off the club in the same way as many of used to - just look at last summer.......:facepalm:

The main reason I think, is because SL has finally employed people in senior positions who have the skills,knowledge and experience in the business of football and that has made a huge difference.

SL wanted staff who could buy in to his philosophy and now he has them thing are looking up.

57 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You don't see me slagging off the club in the same way as many of used to - just look at last summer.......:facepalm:

The main reason I think, is because SL has finally employed people in senior positions who have the skills,knowledge and experience in the business of football and that has made a huge difference.

SL wanted staff who could buy in to his philosophy and now he has them thing are looking up.

Chill RR , it was just a joke , hence the wink . I picked your name at random .

On 7/17/2016 at 09:41, NeilS said:

Very harsh on JB, he was a legend, actually achieved nothing, but none the less a legend.:punish:

On 7/17/2016 at 10:49, steviestevieneville said:

A legend ? **** me I hope you're joking . 

On 7/17/2016 at 11:29, NeilS said:

Yes he was, for all the wrong reasons perhaps. 

I've seen Junior and Swindon mentioned on here, but not in relation to this - 

He will always be in the 'hero' category for this alone (apologies if someone else has mentioned / posted already, kind of nodded off through this thread, zzzzzzzz)

Archived