IGNORED

Ivan Lucic - Signed (Official)

DaveF

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Which seems somewhat bizarre.

I thought the idea of another keeper signing for us was to allow Max O'Leary to go out on loan.

If Lucic joins Cheltenham then presumably that wouldn't happen.

From LJs interview it sounds like Lucic would ideally be competing for first team next season.

On the other hand, I don't think it's unfair to say Max would need a few more years to be at that stage, he's still in his teens for a start.

If we have a player, who's playing games somewhere else, can we cancel the loan to bring him back in an emergency?

Are goalkeepers bound by the new rules?

If so, we could effectively have a number 2 playing at a higher level than reserve football on standby with O'leary to back up if RO'D is unable to complete a game

Are we not 'self insuring' ourselves by sending a back up keeper out on loan? Obviously this couldn't be done with many players

29 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

If we have a player, who's playing games somewhere else, can we cancel the loan to bring him back in an emergency?

Are goalkeepers bound by the new rules?

If so, we could effectively have a number 2 playing at a higher level than reserve football on standby with O'leary to back up if RO'D is unable to complete a game

Are we not 'self insuring' ourselves by sending a back up keeper out on loan? Obviously this couldn't be done with many players

you can insert a 24 hour recall option

7 hours ago, City169 said:

From LJs interview it sounds like Lucic would ideally be competing for first team next season.

On the other hand, I don't think it's unfair to say Max would need a few more years to be at that stage, he's still in his teens for a start.

Twenty in October. Lucic is only twenty one.

57 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Could he not get fit and cover until Frankie is back in September/October and then go out on a loan till January which can then be extended?

I guess that's the plan, yes but as I mentioned we had that with Max covering but he was deemed to not have enough 1st team experience, hence why we were looking to bring in an experienced no 2. 

It sounds like him or Max will end up with GJ for a while anyway

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Stockhausen's report suggestion Max O'Leary and Ivan Lucic are both set for loan spells... which would leave us with Jojo Wollacott as backup whilst Frank Fielding continues his full recovery from injury. I'm confused by it all!

That is how I read it and that does seem daft. 

15 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

I guess that's the plan, yes but as I mentioned we had that with Max covering but he was deemed to not have enough 1st team experience, hence why we were looking to bring in an experienced no 2. 

It sounds like him or Max will end up with GJ for a while anyway

No can do with the new rules. No extended window for loans you go out before the window shuts (End Aug?) or not until January window

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

No can do with the new rules. No extended window for loans you go out before the window shuts (End Aug?) or not until January window

There are 2 'get out' clauses related specially to goalkeepers though in the new rules:

1. Clubs will be permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven day 'emergency loan' basis if they do not have a fit and available senior goalkeeper on their books that has made five starting appearances in first team football. In the past this rule has been strictly enforced and the League have generally asked clubs to provide evidence from an independent doctor that their existing player(s) are not fit to play. 

2. Clubs will be able to recall a goalkeeper at 24 hours notice from a loan period at another club if they are unable to field two fit goalkeepers in their 18 man matchday squad. This is therefore something for a loaning club to be aware of, in that they may still lose their goalkeeper, and of course could result in a chain reaction if that club then loses their only available goalkeeper. 

Yeah that's what I meant I reckon O'Leary will be outdoor half the season & Ivan the other half. That still doesn't help us get experienced cover, unless as @Tipps69 mentioned it was too good a deal to miss so we brought him in to develop and we are still on the look out for a short term cover. Unlikely I'd say but you never know

11 minutes ago, !james said:

There are 2 'get out' clauses related specially to goalkeepers though in the new rules:

1. Clubs will be permitted to sign a goalkeeper on a seven day 'emergency loan' basis if they do not have a fit and available senior goalkeeper on their books that has made five starting appearances in first team football. In the past this rule has been strictly enforced and the League have generally asked clubs to provide evidence from an independent doctor that their existing player(s) are not fit to play. 

2. Clubs will be able to recall a goalkeeper at 24 hours notice from a loan period at another club if they are unable to field two fit goalkeepers in their 18 man matchday squad. This is therefore something for a loaning club to be aware of, in that they may still lose their goalkeeper, and of course could result in a chain reaction if that club then loses their only available goalkeeper. 

Thanks for that, been looking for the GK ruling.  That gives us cover, but still suspect LJ would like more experienced cover than Lucic and O'Leary should O'Donnell get injured before Fielding is fit.  Makes bringing an experienced GK more difficult as you're asking someone to come in and play second fiddle, and then become third fiddle when Frank is fit, or let Frank go.

Never underestimate the importance of two 1st team keepers, to push each other on.  

16 minutes ago, !james said:

Thanks for this...which implies that we see him as one for the future...and we can satisfy his earlier stated desire to play regularly by loaning him out but recalling if needed...because Cheltenham can offer him matches as they don't have a keeper and GJ doesn't expect to sign one...which allows Lucic, presumably, to keep in touch with our goalkeeping training programme. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

1 hour ago, City169 said:

So Lucic is still 2 years older, and having been at Bayern would have had access to better facilities and coaches

Both still very young to be first or second choice.

If Fielding gets over his injury then I expect him and OD to fight it out for first choice.

Then again if Fielding was to leave we would have a totally different situation. Just makes me wonder if the Fielding

injury is worse than we think. 

Archived