IGNORED

Ivan Lucic - Signed (Official)

DaveF

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Thanks for this...which implies that we see him as one for the future...and we can satisfy his earlier stated desire to play regularly by loaning him out but recalling if needed...because Cheltenham can offer him matches as they don't have a keeper and GJ doesn't expect to sign one...which allows Lucic, presumably, to keep in touch with our goalkeeping training programme. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Plus the new rules allow the players to also play non-first team football for their parent clubs during their loans.

So O'Leary or Lucic could still play for the under 21's depending on how much first team football they are getting whilst on loan. 

3 hours ago, robinreliant said:

Both still very young to be first or second choice.

If Fielding gets over his injury then I expect him and OD to fight it out for first choice.

Then again if Fielding was to leave we would have a totally different situation. Just makes me wonder if the Fielding

injury is worse than we think. 

Can't see Frankie getting back in the side.

Goalkeeper joins from German giants.

• Lucic pens two-year contract, with further year option 
  • Goalkeeper has been with Bayern Munich for two seasons 
  • Head coach expects to loan him out almost immediately 
City have completed the signing of Bayern Munich goalkeeper Ivan Lucic for an undisclosed fee.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/lucic-signs-up-with-city-3208039.aspx#YhgXVo7e1j6KvXdI.99

Not really understanding this signing. The guy is 21 and if he's any good should be signed for us and not signed to send out on loan. If he was 18 or 19 it would be a little more feasible but he's not. He's good enough to be understudy to Neuer then surely he's good enough. Seems the word "taking a punt" has become quite popular when referring to players. I'm all for a taking a punt but we do need to balance that with genuine first teamers who would without question be improving the current squad.

3 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Not really understanding this signing. The guy is 21 and if he's any good should be signed for us and not signed to send out on loan. If he was 18 or 19 it would be a little more feasible but he's not. He's good enough to be understudy to Neuer then surely he's good enough. Seems the word "taking a punt" has become quite popular when referring to players. I'm all for a taking a punt but we do need to balance that with genuine first teamers who would without question be improving the current squad.

Really? he's only 21 and wasn't often understudy to Neuer, he hasn't got much game time so the best thing for us and his development is to send him on a loan this year so he gets some playing time.

Would think LJ thinks he is a plenty good enough (his earlier comments during trial reflect that), but not every keeper is ready to be put into the thrust of a Championship match with no English experience.

Still think we might see a half-season loan for an experienced keeper.

Seems eminently sensible to send both back up goalies out on loan

As I understand it you can recall goalies from loan.  

Therefore out on loan will have them match fit if required rather than warming the bench.

The club clearly feel that JoJo's  Norwegian loan has sharpened him up too, to be able to give cover in the middle of one game was the worse to happen mid match.

Was it the 79-80 Div 1 season that due to injuries we had a different goalie for three consecutive games?

In the late 60s City had five goal keepers on their books so kept Mike Gibson in the first team, Barry Watling(?) in the reserves and put the other three out on loan and one day all five saved penalties. I didn't dream it....did I?

13 minutes ago, 22A said:

Was it the 79-80 Div 1 season that due to injuries we had a different goalie for three consecutive games?

In the late 60s City had five goal keepers on their books so kept Mike Gibson in the first team, Barry Watling(?) in the reserves and put the other three out on loan and one day all five saved penalties. I didn't dream it....did I?

If there's someone out there who can confirm this with names of the players involved, he / she should be made the official forum stato. 

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Was the loan system in existence in the late 60s?

23 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Was the loan system in existence in the late 60s?

Interesting one. No idea when the loan system started.

The first loan player I remember coming to City was Brian Hill from Coventry in 1971, one part of a double signing with the permanent acquisition of Les Wilson from Wolves the same day.

City may have signed loan players before him, but I can't remember any and pre 1970 would be before my time.

I expect @slartibartfast would know who City's first ever loan signing was?

As a one time follower of the Austrian Bundesliga - I was an FC Tirol Innsbruck fan in their glorious heyday when they won 3 league titles in a row...then went bankrupt and folded :-( - it's great to see a promising young Austrian in our team.

I recall the days when Alex Manninger played for Arsenal. Whenever the English football results were published in the Austrian papers, they would print "(ohne Manninger) = "without Manninger" next to the Arsenal score!

So it's a big "servus!" und herzlich Willkommen to Ivan. Even if he is from hoity-toity Vienna.

1 hour ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

As a one time follower of the Austrian Bundesliga - I was an FC Tirol Innsbruck fan in their glorious heyday when they won 3 league titles in a row...then went bankrupt and folded :-( - it's great to see a promising young Austrian in our team.

I recall the days when Alex Manninger played for Arsenal. Whenever the English football results were published in the Austrian papers, they would print "(ohne Manninger) = "without Manninger" next to the Arsenal score!

So it's a big "servus!" und herzlich Willkommen to Ivan. Even if he is from hoity-toity Vienna.

Manninger just signed for Liverpool....don't panic Captain.

Archived