IGNORED

So when did you ' Pop your Cherry'?

RaspberryRed

11 Oct 1986 City 3 York 0

My Dad was a big Tottenham fan, and as such, as a kid I followed them too. Went to watch them a few times, but wanted to someone I could really 'support' as opposed to being a part time fan. Pestered Dad for ages to take me to City (could easily have been R*vers, but I always hated their shirts!), and he worked with some City fans who went down quite a bit. I was 13, from the next season me and some mates would get on the bus from Cheltenham that stopped in Gloucester, Dursley etc on the way through. The rest is history, now I've taken my eldest daughters, it's in the blood now. 30 year anniversary this year, been some highs, some lows, but I wouldn't swap City for anything

Circa 70/71 and unbelievably for such a sad anorak I can't remember who it was against and my old man (a supporter for much longer than my 52 years on the planet), can't remember, either.

He can still recall in vivid detail both of Atyeo's goals he saw in the World Cup win over Ireland at Wembley though..

I was 7 then and have only missed about ten home games since..

46 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember the first games I saw after I was allowed to cross town on my own , well with mates. 1970-71 friendly Vs Go Ahead Deventer won 2-0 and the First game of the season  was Sunderland at home. In the middle-ish (slightly to the right as you looked at it) of the EE City won 4-3 and I could barely see a thing awesome. 

I seem to remember Ken Whimshurst getting the winner that day with a 20 yarder.

Was also in the East End that day with a Sunderland supporting mate of mine!!!

28 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

11 Oct 1986 City 3 York 0

My Dad was a big Tottenham fan, and as such, as a kid I followed them too. Went to watch them a few times, but wanted to someone I could really 'support' as opposed to being a part time fan. Pestered Dad for ages to take me to City (could easily have been R*vers, but I always hated their shirts!), and he worked with some City fans who went down quite a bit. I was 13, from the next season me and some mates would get on the bus from Cheltenham that stopped in Gloucester, Dursley etc on the way through. The rest is history, now I've taken my eldest daughters, it's in the blood now. 30 year anniversary this year, been some highs, some lows, but I wouldn't swap City for anything

I remember Bobby Hutchinson scoring a bullet header in front of the park end. When I chat about this goal to the old man . York 3 0 was the game we recall from . God knows how many goals I have forgot about. But this goal has stuck with me because I couldn't believe how hard he headed the ball . Can u recall that woodsy or have I got the wrong game 

7 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I seem to remember Ken Whimshurst getting the winner that day with a 20 yarder.

Was also in the East End that day with a Sunderland supporting mate of mine!!!

I'd have to check on that, as I said couldn't see much but the atmosphere was brilliant. There were a few Sunderland fans on the EE when we got in, confused me a bit at the time. I think Gerry Shape got a couple.

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

When I was 17, in a back alley up against the wall. 

6 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

...and me!

hi!

Awww , it's like a dating site. Glad you two have found each other again.  :wub:

Sometime in 1956 sat on the wall at the front of "Crackers Corner" my dad being the "cracker" behind me. He used to watch both City and Rovers to get his football fix as due to his work he couldn't make regular Saturday afternoon games. Thankfully he didn't take me across to Eastville, although I did go occasionally later when there were away teams I wanted to see play.

Went with a few mate during the Christmas holidays !967 Birmingham city at home won 4-0 was 10.

Dad was a gashead he used to take me to eastrville with him he said i had to make a choice.

Near the end of the season we played Aston Villa away and asked if i could go as it was only a mile away from Ashton gate then Dad pointed that was Ashton Vale.

2 hours ago, COACH2 said:

1972 v Chelsea age 10, it was a testimonial match for Gordon Parr,  It was a night match and we went by coach from Clevedon the the excitement when we scored has had me hooked ever since.

I think this was my first match ! But memories are very blurred , I remember the smell of tobacco , the brightness of the flood lights but have no idea of the score . Was Chris Garland playing for Chelsea ? 

First game I vividly remember was against Cardiff on a February Saturday in I'm guesstimating  72 or 73 . I remember the Cardiff fans waving their  blue scarves on the West side of the Eastend stands out for some reason . City won .

City v Rovers FA cup 1968 . I was nine ,went with my Dad ,he said it was up to me who I supported but always knew it was City for me .

Match finished 0-0 City won the replay.

That was when the Rovers had a proper kit ,before they got back into those ridiculous quarters 

• Admin

1967 is the earliest programme I had ( recently had a big clear out and got rid of the lot) can't remember my first game but it would have been mid 60's.  Fond memories of meaningless evening games like the Anglo Scottish cup.  I always wanted to be a goalie, so Mike Gibson was my hero back then.

44 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I remember Bobby Hutchinson scoring a bullet header in front of the park end. When I chat about this goal to the old man . York 3 0 was the game we recall from . God knows how many goals I have forgot about. But this goal has stuck with me because I couldn't believe how hard he headed the ball . Can u recall that woodsy or have I got the wrong game 

I bought the program for this game a few months ago from ebay, someone has written on the back page, against the line ups, that Walsh got 2 and Neville 1, so I don't think this is the game you're thinking of

Oddly, I do remember Hutch scoring a goal similar to the one you describe, so could well be same season. What a great player he was

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I bought the program for this game a few months ago from ebay, someone has written on the back page, against the line ups, that Walsh got 2 and Neville 1, so I don't think this is the game you're thinking of

Oddly, I do remember Hutch scoring a goal similar to the one you describe, so could well be same season. What a great player he was

Cheers long time ago. 30 years me and the old man have mentioned that goal . Against the wrong team . Ha ha

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Cheers long time ago. 30 years me and the old man have mentioned that goal . Against the wrong team . Ha ha

The memory plays tricks! It's like the Jacki flick vs Ipswich, there was a conversation on here about it a while back, can remember it clear as day in my head, yet someone remembered it in a different part of the pitch all together!

1974 at 7 years old. My Dad is gas so my Grandad took me. I remember paying peanuts to go in the school boy enclosure in front of the Dolman stand then my Grandad leading me up the steps to the spare seat next to his, no one ever questioned a 70 year old man with his grandson. Sorry City for the lost revenue but you have had an awful lot of money off me in the past 40 odd years so I don't feel guilty :-) 

So I have seen us hit the peak and almost gone bust, what a ride

February 13th 1965. at the gate...With my red and white scarf and a wooden rattle...i was coming up to my 8th birthday. Went with dad and late grandad heard the F word for the first time from both of them and was immediately told that horrible blue and white ...over there are not very nice and don't tell your mum or nan.

City versus Rovers...City won 2..1.

I guess that made it ok for them looking for me as i got lost in the tunnels going to the toillets!!!!! 

Surprising what a box across the ear'oles does to make a memory stick!!

4 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

Looking forward to the new season with much anticipation combined with the onset of middle age it got me thinking back to my first ever game watching the Mighty Reds

Bristol City vs St Mirren

0 - 2

1979/80

I was eight years old but clearly remember being in awe of the crowds of people around the ground, the brightness of the floodlights before being manoeuvred to the front of the old Williams Stand terracing and perched on a concrete block wall to watch the game.

I can't remember anything about the game whatsoever but was obviously bitten by the bug as am still coming back.

There's been some immense Highs & Lows in the subsequent 36 years from being huddled around a transistor radio by an old school portacabin to hear the news that the club had been saved from bankruptcy in 1982 (at the 11th hour) right up to the double winning season we have recently experienced

So what are your recollections of your first match?

COYR

That was my first game also when I was 5 years old ... only time I ever sat in the Dolman but remember vividly walking up the steps on the East End side and standing open mouthed as I saw the pitch bathed in the flown of the floodlights

Archived