IGNORED

So when did you ' Pop your Cherry'?

RaspberryRed

7 hours ago, Woodsy said:

To be fair, it's all rugby shirts you see in Gloucester, far more than football shirts. I wear my colours from time to time just in case there are any others around. There is a G*shead lives on the road behind me, and saw one bloke in the local with a shirt on when they scraped their way out of non league. The show off

I wear my city shirt when I am out and about when city are away,our postman is a gashead and had to deliver the two season tickets to our house but on two days!The guy that was the manager at the Deans Walk inn at Kingsholm is a big city fan,his name is Ian but not sure if he is there anymore

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 20:23, Red Right Hand said:

Did anyone else`s first game not involve City?

I`d been to two before going to AG, both down to being on holiday with relatives and being take along by someone who was a fan. My first one was Fulham v Derby in the Watney Cup and the second Torquay v Bournemouth in the league cup.

Before I started to watch City I used to go every home game to the mighty Bridgwater Town

9th September 1985. Gloucestershire Cup. City 1-0 :gasmask:

I was new to Bristol on 9 month intern industrial placement. Went along with the general idea of whoever looked the best team I'd follow for that season. 

Just think how close I was to being taken in by the dark side..............

3 hours ago, gloucester robin said:

I wear my city shirt when I am out and about when city are away,our postman is a gashead and had to deliver the two season tickets to our house but on two days!The guy that was the manager at the Deans Walk inn at Kingsholm is a big city fan,his name is Ian but not sure if he is there anymore

I'll keep an eye out for you mate! Not been on Deans Walk for ages, but never knew that

On 3 August 2016 at 19:45, Nogbad the Bad said:

My first City game was a Glos. Cup Final at Eastville. Our Cub Master was a gashead and took the whole pack in an attempt to indoctrinate us towards favouring his nauseating club.

He took us in the open end with the City fans where we stood against the wall at the front. I thought the noise and colour of the City fans banked up behind us was fantastic and I couldn't stop turning round just to watch them.To keep an oft repeated OTIB story short I instinctively disliked everything about Rovers at first sight - their colours, their ground, their dirge, and City smashed Rovers 5-0. A love affair was born that night, and a 'hate affair' as well. My deep dislike of all things BRFC is well known, and the Cub Master not only failed miserably to indoctrinate me to follow his vile club but inadvertantly created a new supporter for BCFC.

My Dad wasn't interested in football so it was a couple of years later I made my way to AG with some schoolmates for the League Cup semi final against Spurs. Queuing up at the juveniles with the racket coming from inside the East End was in itself an incredible experience, an exciting new world discovered, so different to everything else in my, admittedly, boring life at the time. There followed entry to the ground - I say the ground but we didn't make it any further than the top of the entry slope such was the mass of bodies at the top.

And then... a chant, CITY! CITY! erupted from the middle and my first look to my right across at the masses of heads in the darkened East end, the hands clapping in the air, the constant flicker of cigarette lighters, red and white everywhere.... and the noise. WOW, absolutely hooked, from day 1.

Looking back it was the fans and incredible atmosphere that did it for me at least as much as the football, which let's face it was often pretty dull. I often wonder if today's young fans could possibly get hooked in the same way, staring in absolute awe at the atmosphere, seeing adults shouting and swearing and really letting themselves go was in itself exciting and different. It seems such a diluted experience now that it's hard to see how today's first time youngster could feel the same excitement. Oh, and deciding to go on the day while chatting at school and meeting up with a group of 11/12 year old mates from all across Bristol in the crowds outside the ground and being able to 'misbehave' without parents was the best thing of all. It seems these days groups of unaccompanied youngsters are not only actively discouraged but I've even heard stories of unaccompanied groups of 13 year olds actually being refused tickets at the ground and sent away.  A disastrous short sighted policy indeed, if that had been the case in 1970 it's quite possible I'd never have gone to AG again, and BCFC would have missed out on 45 unbroken seasons of my support... and counting.

Mind you, it would have been my loss as well, in fact much more so. As City fans we know full well we don't support ' by far the greatest team the world has ever seen', unfortunately, but we also know we follow a truly unique football club nonetheless, and a hell of a lot of that uniqueness is down to the passion of the fans.

Up the City. :city:

My little sister (8), while not that into football, loved the atmosphere from her first game and I think as such is open to going to more games. The problem is that her first game was a Champions League game for Galatasary at a packed Yeni Ali Sami Yen

1987 v Aldershot in the area final of the freight rover trophy. 

My dad who's not from Bristol originally used to go once maybe twice a season and when I was 9 asked the question "do you fancy coming to the football with us Matt". I didn't know who I was going to see or in what competition and living north of the river (Thornbury) it could so easily have been a trip to the blue few. Thankfully the old man knew better than that and I can honestly say I was hooked on city from the very first moment. The smell of cigarette smoke on the air, the agricultural language, standing - I loved it all. I insisted my dad took me to Wembley the same year and I've been in love with city ever since. 

COYR

On 04/08/2016 at 11:44, Woodsy said:

That's Jer, went an obscene amount of time without missing a game. I'm sure someone on here said a while back he's up Leicester way now, in my head he may work for Walkers Crisps?? That sounds like Julian, a flick switched after a beer or two! Nice guy though. As for Jonah, I suspect that was one of my lot who got sat on. He was a few years older, and one of our lot christened him 'Brains', and I think he may have said it within earshot, and got squashed as his punishment!

I'm in Abbeymead, so just the other side of town, but the in laws used to live there, so know the Co Op. I've seen the odd City shirt around Gloucester, but not many. Nice to know there's a couple more out there. Maybe we should start a Gloucester drinking club when (if!) we get a live game this season. I recognise their user names, but don't think either are 'big' users of the forum?

Used to be a lad called Rich Weaver, in Innsworth, that used to go. Not seen him for years though.

Archived