IGNORED

So when did you ' Pop your Cherry'?

RaspberryRed

My first City game was a Glos. Cup Final at Eastville. Our Cub Master was a gashead and took the whole pack in an attempt to indoctrinate us towards favouring his nauseating club.

He took us in the open end with the City fans where we stood against the wall at the front. I thought the noise and colour of the City fans banked up behind us was fantastic and I couldn't stop turning round just to watch them.To keep an oft repeated OTIB story short I instinctively disliked everything about Rovers at first sight - their colours, their ground, their dirge, and City smashed Rovers 5-0. A love affair was born that night, and a 'hate affair' as well. My deep dislike of all things BRFC is well known, and the Cub Master not only failed miserably to indoctrinate me to follow his vile club but inadvertantly created a new supporter for BCFC.

My Dad wasn't interested in football so it was a couple of years later I made my way to AG with some schoolmates for the League Cup semi final against Spurs. Queuing up at the juveniles with the racket coming from inside the East End was in itself an incredible experience, an exciting new world discovered, so different to everything else in my, admittedly, boring life at the time. There followed entry to the ground - I say the ground but we didn't make it any further than the top of the entry slope such was the mass of bodies at the top.

And then... a chant, CITY! CITY! erupted from the middle and my first look to my right across at the masses of heads in the darkened East end, the hands clapping in the air, the constant flicker of cigarette lighters, red and white everywhere.... and the noise. WOW, absolutely hooked, from day 1.

Looking back it was the fans and incredible atmosphere that did it for me at least as much as the football, which let's face it was often pretty dull. I often wonder if today's young fans could possibly get hooked in the same way, staring in absolute awe at the atmosphere, seeing adults shouting and swearing and really letting themselves go was in itself exciting and different. It seems such a diluted experience now that it's hard to see how today's first time youngster could feel the same excitement. Oh, and deciding to go on the day while chatting at school and meeting up with a group of 11/12 year old mates from all across Bristol in the crowds outside the ground and being able to 'misbehave' without parents was the best thing of all. It seems these days groups of unaccompanied youngsters are not only actively discouraged but I've even heard stories of unaccompanied groups of 13 year olds actually being refused tickets at the ground and sent away.  A disastrous short sighted policy indeed, if that had been the case in 1970 it's quite possible I'd never have gone to AG again, and BCFC would have missed out on 45 unbroken seasons of my support... and counting.

Mind you, it would have been my loss as well, in fact much more so. As City fans we know full well we don't support ' by far the greatest team the world has ever seen', unfortunately, but we also know we follow a truly unique football club nonetheless, and a hell of a lot of that uniqueness is down to the passion of the fans.

Up the City. :city:

Feb 69 City 2 - PNE 1. Stood on the Open End and it chucked it down with rain. That helped Galley slide sideways through the mud to score the winner! :clapping:

2nd game was in April, a 1-1 v Blackpool. 1st away game was Dec 69 at Cardiff with Toshack scoring just as the Ref was about to blow for time.

1974-75 season. Can't remember much from that season but do remember playing Norwich. I also remember bowyers sausages and pork pies being thrown into the stand around that time! I remember the 1975-76 season more vividly, especially the Portsmouth match for obvious reasons (aged 9).

18 minutes ago, eardun said:

1974-75 season. Can't remember much from that season but do remember playing Norwich. I also remember bowyers sausages and pork pies being thrown into the stand around that time! I remember the 1975-76 season more vividly, especially the Portsmouth match for obvious reasons (aged 9).

Remember the Norwich game, it was on the Easter Saturday and they beat us 1/0.

On good Friday the Gash played manu at Eastville and drew 1/1.

Bristol City 1 - 0 Liverpool - Joe Royle mishit!  Think it was 78/9 season, so I was 8.  Stood in my dads toolbox with my bruv in the old away end (cheaper)

Second match was City 5 - 0 Coventry - Joe Royle hatrick.

It wasn't a winning record that lasted long though!

FA Cup 2nd round 8th December 1984 v Rovers. Ten years old. Step Dad took me. (He fancied the game as hadn't been much since the first division days and watching games in nighties and fancy dress apparently?) I remember the game well. City took the lead with a great headed goal then went on to lose it 1-3. One of their goals trickled along the ground past our keeper in front of the gas fans. It was freezing cold on the terrace even in my moon boots. The away fans were at the end of the terrace. What really sticks in my memory was the constant goading from the city fans up in the Dolman. 

Blooded my two boys much younger though 3 and 5yo  v Ajax 2009. Far too young in hindsight.

12 hours ago, Woodsy said:

11 Oct 1986 City 3 York 0

My Dad was a big Tottenham fan, and as such, as a kid I followed them too. Went to watch them a few times, but wanted to someone I could really 'support' as opposed to being a part time fan. Pestered Dad for ages to take me to City (could easily have been R*vers, but I always hated their shirts!), and he worked with some City fans who went down quite a bit. I was 13, from the next season me and some mates would get on the bus from Cheltenham that stopped in Gloucester, Dursley etc on the way through. The rest is history, now I've taken my eldest daughters, it's in the blood now. 30 year anniversary this year, been some highs, some lows, but I wouldn't swap City for anything

Used to take JDs coach in the 1980s...picked up loads in Dursley. Do you remember Julian Long?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Did anyone else`s first game not involve City?

I`d been to two before going to AG, both down to being on holiday with relatives and being take along by someone who was a fan. My first one was Fulham v Derby in the Watney Cup and the second Torquay v Bournemouth in the league cup.

1978 Scottish Cup Final. Gers v Aberdeen. Bears won 2-0 (I think)...my grandad was a keen Dons fan.

Can't remember my first game but my dad took me early 80's when we was plummeting down the leagues.

I hope to be taking my son to his first game this season where i will record the moment so hopefully when he is older he will have something to remind him of the day he fell in love with city (fingers crossed)......cheers dad 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d been to two before going to AG, both down to being on holiday with relatives and being take along by someone who was a fan. My first one was Fulham v Derby in the Watney Cup and the second Torquay v Bournemouth in the league cup.

Possible my dad took me to Eastville before I saw City v Leeds.  Years of therapy and denial have blocked it out, seeing the Gas that is, not that special father-son time.

My wife's 2nd game and 3rd games ever were the Forest 1-4 cup defeat and the Forest 1-4 game referred earlier:  her first game was QPR-Manchester United: we happened to be in London with friends and one of them, a United fan, dragged us along.

13 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

2001 vs Port Vale aged 6 or 7. Steve Brooker scored for Vale but Scotty equalised for City.

This was one of my first games too remember it well brooker unmarked passed it into the net in front of the atyeo.

My first match was stoke city wembley final 2000 when peter thorne headed a late winner from a controversial freekick........**** off delilah:disapointed2se:

First home match was v burnley 1999 when they finised the season in second place. Boring 0-0 but got to see goodridge own the midfield!

35 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Used to take JDs coach in the 1980s...picked up loads in Dursley. Do you remember Julian Long?

Oh yeah, I knew Julian back in the day. Not seen him in a long time. There's a few on here that remember that bus, was a lifesaver before we learned to drive

1 hour ago, Kim_il_sung said:

March 31st 1990, Bristol City 1-1 Mansfield. Six years old. Bob Taylor last minute equaliser. Crowd celebration scared the life out of me.

Seem to remember it was a 25 yard yarder? 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, Hereford 0 Northampton 0, 1978 or 79. Dad's side of the family were all Hereford. Was an absolute dog of a game, probably about 1,500 there, but it was the best thing I'd ever seen in my life, I was only 5 or 6 though to be fair! 

11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Oh yeah, I knew Julian back in the day. Not seen him in a long time. There's a few on here that remember that bus, was a lifesaver before we learned to drive

He manages the Co op in Longlevens...he's been there for years. Doesn't watch City anymore...he's a birdwatcher now!

There was also a curly haired oaf called Jonah?

Archived