IGNORED

Europa league in five years....

Son of Fred

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Getting out of this league will be hard enough, then you need to stay in the prem for a few seasons and build, then finish above one of the Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs!

Think the cup is more likely.

It is, we would only have to win 6 games

44 minutes ago, City169 said:

Well that's bollocks from the start.

We could win the FA Cup this year and be in it next season. It's extremely unlikely, but there is a chance. 

There's no club within the top 14 tiers* of English football that has "zero chance" of being in the Europa league in 5 years time, it just gets increasingly less likely as you go down the list

*Teams from the top 10 tiers are eligible to enter the FA Cup, so a team from the 14th tier could be promoted 4 times and then win it and still be in the 5 year limit.

If there were a Pedant Of The Day award this would be a strong contender

8 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

if you never have dreams , they can never come true......

talkin', talkin Happy talk
Talk about things you'd like to do
You've got to have a dream
If you don't have a dream
How you gonna have a dream come true
Think that's what you were looking for FAA.:)

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Well, I really dislike this sort of bullshit coming out of the club.

Makes the club sound stupid imo.

Bet they said that at Bournemouth 3/4 years ago, or at Swansea when they were in basement division only a few seasons back.

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

we need to look at brighton, hull, swansea, watford, stoke, all clubs who are/were a similar size to us not so long ago,

The important thing is not to look at what they did but how they did it.

if we say Stoke play long ball so we should play long ball or Swansea play ticky tacka (or what ever it's called) so we should play that way then we won't get anywhere. The thing a about these teams is they played a certain way AND they work at it to make themselves the best.

We need to find a style that is efficient against the majority of teams in this league and be the best at it (which will likely take at least a couple of seasons) but I believe we are building a structure to support this at the moment.

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

The important thing is not to look at what they did but how they did it.

if we say Stoke play long ball so we should play long ball or Swansea play ticky tacka (or what ever it's called) so we should play that way then we won't get anywhere. The thing a about these teams is they played a certain way AND they work at it to make themselves the best.

We need to find a style that is efficient against the majority of teams in this league and be the best at it (which will likely take at least a couple of seasons) but I believe we are building a structure to support this at the moment.

Its very rare I look back at 'that' Wembley day out-with of course Johnson senior and all of the "what if's'......maybe this is it with Lee-just niggling away,something to put to bed in the best way possible.how many of us have had that feeling in life with no chance(and knowing it)of placing yourself to re-write the chapter in your very own way??..how you write the beginning of that chapter would be vital to its structure and ultimately its conclusion.

24 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Have ambition but maybe keep it in house. Why spout off to the press right now? He should be telling them the ambitions for this season, which I guess would be a play off place. One step at a time...

He was answering a question that he was asked, he didn't just go out and "spout off to the press"

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

He was answering a question that he was asked, he didn't just go out and "spout off to the press"

Agree. That's what Lee believes and I like the fact that he tells it how he sees it, rather than a bland or dishonest answer. I suspect his opinion has also encouraged a few players to join too. 

3 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Ah yes you have to truthfully answer all questions the press ask...

So at a forum where fans are present and are contributing the questions the manager should lie to the fans? 

Glad to see you'd rather have a manger tell us they have no ambition than actually be honest and set themselves a goal.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

So at a forum where fans are present and are contributing the questions the manager should lie to the fans? 

Glad to see you'd rather have a manger tell us they have no ambition than actually be honest and set themselves a goal.

We were in serious danger of being relegated from this division last season. I'd have preferred it if he had said something like "long term the club has ambitions of being an established premier league club but we have to focus on this season and the league we are currently in. It is a tough league but I believe we have a squad capable of at least making the playoffs."

If the gas held a press conference saying they will finish in the top 6 of the championship in the next 5 years we'd all be going ballistic on here and rightly so...

11 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

We were in serious danger of being relegated from this division last season. I'd have preferred it if he had said something like "long term the club has ambitions of being an established premier league club but we have to focus on this season and the league we are currently in. It is a tough league but I believe we have a squad capable of at least making the playoffs."

If the gas held a press conference saying they will finish in the top 6 of the championship in the next 5 years we'd all be going ballistic on here and rightly so...

The question was "where would you like to be in 5 years?" So stating aims for one season wouldn't have actually answered the question posed. 

Again, we didn't hold a press conference saying we want to be in the Europa League in 5 years, nor was it a club statement, it was a question at a semi-casual event that the manager answered honestly.

Watching the recording I laughed when he said it, I don't think it's particularly realistic, but when Bournmouth were in League 2 and 17 points from safety no one would have said they would be in the Premier League 7 years later, or that Southamton, Swansea and Leicester would all make European appearances within 3 years of promotion to the Premier League.

Archived